Author Topic: Naval Pictures V: The Glorious Fifth  (Read 206974 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Naval Pictures V: The Glorious Fifth
« Reply #960 on: 02 August 2018, 11:43:44 »
Must not be far from home- the bridge wings are still extended. Great shot of her!
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #961 on: 02 August 2018, 14:42:19 »
From ships to weapons of ships
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #962 on: 02 August 2018, 14:49:36 »
Interesting. Two quad mounts, looks like they're side-mounted rather than central, so likely a cruiser? Certainly looks big enough to be one. The crew look American though, and they didn't put torpedoes on deck of cruisers much (and not in THOSE numbers even when they did). Any idea where this is from?

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #963 on: 02 August 2018, 15:56:01 »
Sims class destroyer perhaps.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #964 on: 02 August 2018, 15:58:55 »
unfortunately I can't answer that one I spotted it on Facebook on the World of WarShips page
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #965 on: 02 August 2018, 16:13:25 »
Another fun picture

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #966 on: 02 August 2018, 19:36:58 »
Interesting. Two quad mounts, looks like they're side-mounted rather than central, so likely a cruiser? Certainly looks big enough to be one. The crew look American though, and they didn't put torpedoes on deck of cruisers much (and not in THOSE numbers even when they did). Any idea where this is from?
Actually, the tubes closest to the photographer is center mounted. I suspect this is a destroyer of Mahan Class: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahan-class_destroyer
"12 × 21 inch torpedo tubes (533 mm) (4 × 3). One tube mount was on the centerline between the stacks, and the other two were port and starboard just behind the aft stack."
I checked the whole category of USN Destroyers of WW2; Somers and Sims Class had the same torpedo launcher setup as well.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2018, 19:41:43 by HobbesHurlbut »
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #967 on: 03 August 2018, 03:50:06 »
Another fun picture

From the arrival into Pearl in 1940? IIRC.

Nice snap.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #968 on: 03 August 2018, 07:32:24 »
From the arrival into Pearl in 1940? IIRC.

Nice snap.

It's actually late-war, Pennsylvania in front followed by Colorado and several cruisers. Note the modified foremast setup for the Pennsylvania compared to her arrangement at Pearl Harbor, and the porcupine arrangement of the secondary guns- now 5"/38s instead of the old single-purpose batteries.

+Crow T. Robot+

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #969 on: 03 August 2018, 08:23:15 »
Aside from the Oklahoma, wasn't there another retired WWII battleship that sank in tow after the war?  I thought it was the New York.
I could just be mis-remembering things.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #970 on: 03 August 2018, 08:46:51 »
Aside from the Oklahoma, wasn't there another retired WWII battleship that sank in tow after the war?  I thought it was the New York.

Warspite did
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #971 on: 03 August 2018, 09:22:02 »

Warspite did

Warspite didn't sink, she put up a fight, broke her tow and ran aground having to be broken up in situ.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #972 on: 03 August 2018, 19:12:56 »
and Prinz Eugen capsized under tow after the Bikini tests
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
« Reply #973 on: 04 August 2018, 01:44:09 »

Brazilan battleship São Paulo did, in 1953, off the Azores.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #974 on: 04 August 2018, 02:24:52 »
I read last month that the USS Indianapolis had been located.  What a tragic chapter of history that was, even if it was a part of war and how things sometimes go.

In tribute, here she is in dry dock. 

« Last Edit: 04 August 2018, 02:34:38 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #975 on: 04 August 2018, 05:16:17 »
Hate to tell you, rebs, but that's actually a Nevada-class battleship (note the two tripod masts and the three-gun turret followed by two-gun turret, unique to that class). Can't tell if it's Nevada or Oklahoma, but looks like mid to late 1930s- no sign of five-inch gun directors or the quad-.50 cal 'birdbath' setups in the aft tripod. A great feature of that shot is that you can clearly see the ported-over 'scalloping' on the hull, where they had five-inch guns in casemate mounts when they were completed- they'd been removed for years, but the scalloping remained for their entire careers. The following Pennsylvania and New Mexico class ships had this as well.

This is the Indianapolis- note the single short tripod mast, clipper bow with no scalloping along the sides, three-gun turrets, and the 'break' in the superstructure amidships for the ship's aviation facilities (the battleships of the day tended to carry their planes on the fantail and atop the aft gun turrets)- you can actually see the aircraft if you look closely. This likely was taken roughly at the same time period as your Nevada shot, mid to late '30s.

+Crow T. Robot+

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #976 on: 04 August 2018, 07:18:00 »
The USS Salem, which in the 50's played the bad guy in the movie Battle of the River Plate where she was used as the Graf Spee in the movie.

Its understandable though, the Des Moines class cruisers are certinally a large and imposing ship, longer and heavier than a WW1 Invincible class Battlecruiser

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #977 on: 04 August 2018, 07:26:48 »
Its understandable though, the Des Moines class cruisers are certinally a large and imposing ship, longer and heavier than a WW1 Invincible class Battlecruiser
Not just large and imposing, but downright terrifying as far as cruisers go.  She's got nine eight-inch machineguns on board; each barrel has a cyclic rate of six seconds per round under heavy fire.  So every minute, that's ninety rounds out to 30,000 yards; that's an AP throw weight of 30,000 pounds and 23,400 for HE.  That's a hell of a lot of outgoing.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #978 on: 04 August 2018, 07:55:15 »
Not just large and imposing, but downright terrifying as far as cruisers go.  She's got nine eight-inch machineguns on board; each barrel has a cyclic rate of six seconds per round under heavy fire.  So every minute, that's ninety rounds out to 30,000 yards; that's an AP throw weight of 30,000 pounds and 23,400 for HE.  That's a hell of a lot of outgoing.
And against an Invincible class Battlecruiser, that's a very punishing firepower.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #979 on: 04 August 2018, 08:26:01 »
Oh indeed a cruiser like this could probably take on any WW1 era battleship as built, even something like a Queen Elisabeth or Koenig class would be at risk from a rain of AP shells at long range with their thin deck armour.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #980 on: 04 August 2018, 09:29:51 »
Thats a nice photo of the Salem. Always wanted to see her.
The range of the 8" on the Salem out ranged most big guns of WW1. The rate of fire of the gun with the speed of the ship would be a huge advantage. The fire control of course was much better.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #981 on: 04 August 2018, 11:54:29 »
HNLMS Abraham Crijnssen was a Dutch minesweeper serving in the Far East when WWII broke out.
She was the last Dutch ship to escape the Dutch East Indies ahead of the Japanese advance, and did so by disguising herself as a small island and only moving at night  ;D

>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #982 on: 04 August 2018, 13:26:41 »
it aint crazy if it works
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #983 on: 04 August 2018, 17:17:19 »
related to crazy stuns, I've been told a looonnngg time ago that all the crazy situations of the old movie ''Operation Petitcoat'' are real things that appened to the pacific sub fleet during WWII. I always wondered if that person pulled my leg or if she was right.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #984 on: 04 August 2018, 17:48:58 »
mainly in the same way that most M.A.S.H. episodes were also real.. they were real things, but didn't all happen to the same people or at the same time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Petticoat#Historical_accuracy

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #985 on: 04 August 2018, 19:04:08 »
I knew about the pink sub but not the others. Tony Curtis role was practicaly himself before acting and I don't know if a ship had to do child delivery under fire.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #986 on: 05 August 2018, 01:56:40 »
Hate to tell you, rebs, but ...

Google search failed again. 

Still, that is a nice shot of the Nevada at dry dock.  One thing that never fails to awe me is those old shots of the great ships.  So much steel and projected power.

Got to say, you sure know your ships.  Did you serve in the fleet?
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #987 on: 05 August 2018, 02:03:41 »

The Scharnhorst class armoured cruiser, an evolutionary development of the Prinz Albert and Roon classes, all of which looked similar to the Scharnhorst, the later cruiser was larger, more heavily protected, faster and better armed.  Built with an eye towards overseas service the two ships of the Class, Scharnhorst and Gnisenau would form the core of the Imperial German East Asia Squadron based out of Tsingtao and here they were joined by four light cruisers including the famous Emden which would go on to win fame and even admiration from the British in World War 1.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #988 on: 05 August 2018, 04:00:42 »

Apparently this torpedo was marked as a dummy or training round, and was fired by the K-469 (Victor I)  at the K-178 (Hotel class SSBN). It is actually a full live round, and has impacted directly next to the reactor. Fortunately the fuse didn't function and the round was a dud.

Incident happened in October 1989.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #989 on: 05 August 2018, 06:31:58 »
I told a tour of the ship while back when she first was brought into Quincy, MA.  The old crewmate told me some interesting stories.  Apparently he said the main guns abilities of the ship were classified.  Apparently the missile program funding was too important, the Navy didn't want Congress know that the guns were capable shooting down Jet aircraft.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register