Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week Update: Saladin Assault Hover Tank  (Read 9966 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Vehicle of the Week Update: Saladin Assault Hover Tank
« on: 25 January 2011, 21:08:20 »
Vehicle of the Week Update: Saladin Hover Tank

(The original article covering the Saladin, Saracen, and Scimitar together was reposted with the Saracen article.)

Three hovertanks have been in the arsenal of the vehicle user for over a long time, reliable standbys and old friends.  I speak, of course, of Scarborough's series of S-named hovercraft, the Saladin, Saracen, and Scimitar.  This article looks at the last of the three to be developed, the Saladin, named for á¹¢alāḥ ad-DÄ«n YÅ«suf ibn AyyÅ«bi, a famed general of the Crusades who, among other things, recaptured the city of Jerusalem.  It was introduced as a companion to Scarborough's earlier Saracen and Scimitar tanks for short, quick defensive operations.  Sluggish initial sales were countered with free shipping and training (likely discontinued since) combined with a shell company licensing agreement that ultimately spread the Saladin far and wide.  Many wound up in the Periphery as a fast-moving counter to raiders while a surprising number were sold to the Lyrans.  A great deal of the Combine's Saladins are concentrated in the Azami regions, where they are a favorite both for their capabilities in the arid landscapes of many Azami worlds and the name of a general who is venerated in Muslim traditions.  In later days, small, largely sensible upgrades to the armament were applied and one truly odd offshoot but by and large, the Saladin is what it's always been.

The basic description of the Saladin is a big gun with a lift skirt and an ammo feed attached.  Just like the others, the Saladin is a 35 ton hovercraft powered by a 105-rated ConLee ICE engine, cheap and easy to both acquire and maintain as well as common to the entire Scarborough family, powering it for an 8/12 movement curve and 129 kph at flank.  The armor is... well, it's certainly there, but considering the kind of attention a Saladin attracts, it doesn't help as much as you'd hope.  A mere 2 tons is arranged 17/5/5.  The lack of a turret complicates engagements but as far as the armor goes, it's a saving grace... to the extent this design can be saved.  Considering the limited armor available, the distribution isn't bad, just barely keeping an IS standard or ER large from being a lethal threat and managing to soak a 20 pointer to the front, but you don't really want to be soaking hits with internal structure, especially on vehicles.  At 9 points and up, the flanks are gone, however.  The real attraction of a Saladin is the Scarborough Original class 20 autocannon in the front, fed by a prodigious three tons for 15 rounds of fire the hovertank all too often doesn't survive to use.

Apparently ungrateful to have a tank to ride in at at all, let alone one with such a generous ammo supply, the crews perversely disliked being stuck out there where any smart aleck with a PPC could (and given the threat a Saladin embodies, would) try and blow them right to Hell.  In the face of both Scarborough and the Combine's disinterest in the matter, some of them took matters into their own hands and removed an ammo bin in favor of another ton of protection, arranged 18/10/10.  I find myself much in favor of this, personally.  It's a good level of protection against limited fire from the common threats of the era, although Clan tech's compact and highly dangerous weapons yanked that right back.

Honestly, I'm a bit puzzled on the face of it by the Saladin cargo variant.  As you can tell, the history of these vehicles post-dates the Exodus, and unlike, say, the Jenner, which attracted a lot of attention, the Saladin is not the sort of thing that's going to merit a lot of respect from your stereotypical honor-bound Clanner.  It's mentioned as being Clan in tech base, although frankly, this is probably the only case in the game where you can scratch that out, write "Inner Sphere", and not notice at all - literally, all the stats amount to is taking a stock 3025 Saladin and ripping the AC/20 and its ammo bins out for 17 tons of cargo space.  That tech base does seem to indicate that these may be new-build units, and they're marked as Invasion era, though, heightening the mystery.  As a speedy logistics unit with enough armor to survive a bit of harassment, this makes a lot of sense as a larger capacity, behind the lines counterpart to the Anhur, but it still leaves us with some questions as to the relationship with the basic Saladin.  I'd expect the Clanners to base something like this on a Zephyr or some other Star League unit, not a design that didn't debut until well after the Exodus and, indeed, the formation of the Clans.  The truth of the matter was revealed to me by one of Randall Bills' BattleBlogs, pointing back to the scenario pack "The Falcon and the Wolf" where two Stars of supply hovercraft were being used by the Jade Falcons, indicated to be identical to Saladins except for the removal of the weapons for cargo.  Some more information may be available in the future; a question was submitted to the Powers That Be but was unanswered before our recent round of hacker antics.

Two models date from RS:Upgrades and are now found alongside the cargo variant in RS3058 Unabridged's Inner Sphere volume.  They share the same engine as the original but traded the armor for 35 points of ferro-fibrous arranged 14/8/5.  I'm really not sure that's such a great improvement here, honestly, but it improves protection on your flanks a bit.  One carries an LB 20-X fed by three tons of ammo while the other uses an Ultra/20 with two tons.

Saladins can be a devastating weapon but in contrast to the seemingly blunt instrument appearance they present, they're more of a rapier, capable of a telling blow on an opponent in skilled hands but they're also fragile, easily broken from harsh or incorrect use.  The design is old enough that their basic reputation is fairly well known and many experienced players will react to them aggressively.  Keep that in mind when you consider your tactics.  They need to take shelter, avoid the front lines until the last moment, and function best as either a surprise rammed right into combat after the engagement has already been pressed or as ambushers.  They may also be decent as a (very short lived) decoy.  Operate in groups, pick out isolated targets, and tear them apart while keeping your movement modifiers as high as you can.  Also, don't expect to get many back - Saladins have a very high mortality rate.  For this reason, go ahead and set the Ultra model's gun to rapid-fire and leave it there.  Taurian and Marian operators may find it useful to have a lance of Gladius hover tanks lead the way a turn or so before the Saladins charge in to soften the enemy up, and Saracens make excellent companions.

Countering Saladins requires you to be aware of the battlefield.  If you know Saladins are around, keep your forces in position to provide mutual support, don't feed the Saladins your forces piecemeal.  If they're wandering around openly on decent numbers, someone may be trying to decoy you, but they have definitely provided you with a golden opportunity to swat a very dangerous fly before it can land.  If they try to close, kill them with extreme prejudice.  More to the point, pay attention - Saladins are expendable assets but your enemy wants to get his money's worth out of them, so they're likely to emerge in unexpected places to try and avoid fire.  Having a lance get behind you is going to hurt.  Generally, any fast hover killer (LB 10-Xs are great) will work, but so will any heavy weapon that can bear, and Saladins getting close are the sort of thing that demands attention.  Precision ammo out of a Zhukov or Po is very rude but an excellent way to settle the matter.

Image Reference: The Master Unit List includes the artwork alongside current availability data and BV.  CamoSpecs has an example done up in the colors of the 17th Donegal Guards.
« Last Edit: 16 June 2011, 12:06:00 by Moonsword »

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
Re: Vehicle of the Week Update: Saladin Assault Hover Tank
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2011, 21:50:13 »
I wonder if the cargo Saladins were Spheroid machines that got pressed into service by the Falcons. After all, an armored truck is an armored truck.

Also, great article. Your trifecta of S-Series articles is the perfect way to get the Fan Articles section moving again.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 25 January 2011, 21:51:36 »
Ah, the Saladin.  Great little tank.  If I were designing it, I'd make it 7/11 with more armor, but then I don't have the disdain for crew survival some weapons designers in the IS seem to.  I've used these to great effect as part of planetary militias.  Old, simple, straightforward, and a 130kph thorn in the ass of any pirate that hits my world.  Just keep the gun pointed at the bad guy and the armor won't get you killed too fast.  Still probably won't  live to use all 15 rounds though.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2011, 21:59:16 »
Ah, the Saladin.  Great little tank.  If I were designing it, I'd make it 7/11 with more armor, but then I don't have the disdain for crew survival some weapons designers in the IS seem to.  I've used these to great effect as part of planetary militias.  Old, simple, straightforward, and a 130kph thorn in the ass of any pirate that hits my world.  Just keep the gun pointed at the bad guy and the armor won't get you killed too fast.  Still probably won't  live to use all 15 rounds though.

7/11 won't get you anywhere - the 8/12 engine is already inside the 20% minimum for a hovercraft.  I heartily suggest using the armor variant.

I wonder if the cargo Saladins were Spheroid machines that got pressed into service by the Falcons. After all, an armored truck is an armored truck.

Also, great article. Your trifecta of S-Series articles is the perfect way to get the Fan Articles section moving again.

Thanks.  I was already planning to release them on Monday anyway, actually.  As far as the cargo Saladin... I really don't know.  The tech base difference is what makes me leery of just calling it that way and moving on.  It's not an IS vehicle, it's a Clan unit (and presumably has Clan CASE, although without ammo or exploding weapons, that's kind of a moot point).

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 25 January 2011, 22:39:10 »

7/11 won't get you anywhere - the 8/12 engine is already inside the 20% minimum for a hovercraft.  I heartily suggest using the armor variant.
Ah, that's what I get for positing changes without trying it in HMV.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 25 January 2011, 22:47:23 »
I had to look it up in TRO3039 myself.  And again, the armor variant is a lot more reasonable.

Against Clans... honestly, I really, really shy away from using a Saladin against Clanners.  Be careful, be sneaky, and pull out every dirty trick you've got if you want your people to come back alive.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #6 on: 26 January 2011, 02:45:12 »
I think the only way to bring these back alive is to either pick on a target with low accuracy (either low gunnery, high minimums, some damage or some heat) or else make sure you kill your target in one.  Even at 8/12, one can usualy muster a +4, since you're saving it for a specal occasion and you can afford to line your run up, but since you have to get pretty close enemy TNs aren't much worse, and it only takes one or two good hits.

That said, that AC20 means you can reasonably expect to meet that second condition if you're careful and if you pick the right target, and back in the day that first was easy enough to come by.  Pick on an Archer, or a Rifleman that got a bit too frisky, or a mech that you've worked over with your own Archers and Riflemen.  Its a great unit to have on your side, if you're not too faint of heart.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 26 January 2011, 08:08:49 »
You need to be careful about that +4 - Saldins don't have armor to burn if you fumble a PSR - but generally, yes, and that's a life-saver for something this thinly armored.  And yes, I fully believe they're useful.  The power of the AC/20 is an undeniable force on the battlefield, especially if you can deliver it basically on demand.  But you're paying for that with the need to be clever about that delivery.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 26 January 2011, 12:13:31 »
It is true that you can ill afford a spin out, but if I can make just one of the Archer's ML's miss (to say nothing of the PPCs on an Awesome or the SRMs on a Panther or whatever) I'll be happy about it.  I think if you're risk adverse, this is not a tank to have.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 26 January 2011, 12:42:03 »
It is true that you can ill afford a spin out, but if I can make just one of the Archer's ML's miss (to say nothing of the PPCs on an Awesome or the SRMs on a Panther or whatever) I'll be happy about it.  I think if you're risk adverse, this is not a tank to have.
Exactly, the Saladin is a design that rewards the thoughful agressive player.  I've had the unfortunate experience of seeing a lance of Saladins appear on a weak flank during a double blind game and can attest that when these things are able to bring that gun to bear quickly, it seldom ever ends well for the target. 

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 26 January 2011, 13:10:53 »

I'm counseling risk management rather than risk aversion - play the odds intelligently, don't just go balls to the wall for its own sake.  That's the entire thrust of my describing them as rapiers rather blunt instruments.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 26 January 2011, 14:22:34 »
You do have to think.  I just think that often, going balls to the wall is not for its own sake, but it is the best way to use these things.  Yes, its a risk/reward, but you have to judge if the risk of spinning out is worth the deminished risk of weapon fire, or if the reduced risk of spinning out is worth the increesed risk of fire.  Its definatly situational (leasurly cruse up to that isolated Ostscout, but haul ass up to the Demolisher) but I know my sense of it.

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 26 January 2011, 14:34:57 »
Exactly!  And yeah, there's plenty of times "balls to the wall" is exactly what you do.  It's at the heart of the ethos of the design.  The risk management is intended to make sure the Saladin is there to be used when it's time to get nasty.