Author Topic: Brian Cache home of the 331st and the Not-Named-Clan  (Read 62642 times)

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
Re: Brian Cache home of the 331st and the Not-Named-Clan
« Reply #300 on: 31 March 2020, 17:34:57 »
You guys are cute with your rating system!

Blaine

Thanks! LOL

Really though, it's a pretty decent real life way to class intel and considering the hints and info we have ranging from absolute confirmed to totally unconfirmed and likely false. Since we're kind of acting as intelligence analysts, we might as well use the toolset.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
« Reply #301 on: 31 March 2020, 20:28:30 »
I would say B3 but the C - wow, that hurt. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #302 on: 31 March 2020, 21:57:10 »
I would say B3 but the C - wow, that hurt. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe

Not a reflection of your skills as an author in the least bit. It's the fact that the stories are from a single person's perspective more often than not, thus tainted by that character's viewpoint. The short stories in the sourcebooks tend to focus more on the character(s) and less on the information and are often tainted by those characters views without the reader having the chance to get used to that character's prejudices.

Not to mention, you LOVE to tease people, lol.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #303 on: 01 April 2020, 05:43:16 »

Blaine

A necessary evil given the subject matter.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #304 on: 08 April 2020, 23:32:37 »
I was able to download "Redemption and Malice" at least from my late KS Pledge. so spoilers:

I like the FrankenMechs… but now I want the stats for them as silly as that sounds. Of course I want the stats for the Pallas and Slither too..... Appreciate the fiction!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #305 on: 13 April 2020, 23:09:53 »

Blaine

That is a solid F6!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #306 on: 14 April 2020, 02:27:54 »
SO here is the question for everyone who has read the new story:

Where do you think it goes from here?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #307 on: 14 April 2020, 11:36:32 »
Honestly: I wouldn’t mind if they kept up smaller stories like that. However I’d LOVE a BoI style novel of where they are at now: of course everyone would. Hell I’d love a continuation of BoI from Trish Ebons perspective.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #308 on: 14 April 2020, 12:33:32 »
Honestly: I wouldn’t mind if they kept up smaller stories like that. However I’d LOVE a BoI style novel of where they are at now: of course everyone would. Hell I’d love a continuation of BoI from Trish Ebons perspective.
I agree completely. I think short stories would be great, with maybe a PDF only product like the unit Spotlights, but an Ebon based story would be great.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #309 on: 14 April 2020, 18:12:06 »
I was able to download "Redemption and Malice" at least from my late KS Pledge. so spoilers:

I like the FrankenMechs… but now I want the stats for them as silly as that sounds. Of course I want the stats for the Pallas and Slither too..... Appreciate the fiction!

I think the last thing you want is me designing 'Mechs again. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #311 on: 14 April 2020, 22:41:25 »
I would like to see more Tripod designs and if possible a SH QuadVee...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #312 on: 15 April 2020, 04:21:15 »
I think the last thing you want is me designing 'Mechs again. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe

Not Blaine "Banzai" Pardoe... that is disappointing.  ;D

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #313 on: 15 April 2020, 04:22:03 »
I would like to see more Tripod designs and if possible a SH QuadVee...

TT

"SH QuadVee"? What is SH?
A hover quadvee would fe amazing.

And please more tripods of various sizes.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2020, 04:25:37 by Drewbacca »

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #314 on: 15 April 2020, 05:08:57 »
SuperHeavy.  Think more "Mobile Structure QuadVee"...Fortress Maximus style.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #315 on: 15 April 2020, 05:10:58 »

You had me at Super Heavy... :o

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #316 on: 15 April 2020, 09:32:31 »

I want one  :D

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #317 on: 15 April 2020, 10:53:11 »
Now you all know why I'm evil incarnate when thinking out loud...

TT >:D
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #318 on: 15 April 2020, 17:43:45 »
I want to establish a tenuous and unlikely link between "Redemption and Malice" and the section in Shattered Fortress entitled "Mystery Raiders" on page 43. Both are set at the same time period and on nearby planets, involve a type of scavenging, and have an element of FrankenMechs and unmarked DropShips. Coincidence? Possibly. But food for thought.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #319 on: 15 April 2020, 17:56:39 »
I want to establish a tenuous and unlikely link between "Redemption and Malice" and the section in Shattered Fortress entitled "Mystery Raiders" on page 43. Both are set at the same time period and on nearby planets, involve a type of scavenging, and have an element of FrankenMechs and unmarked DropShips. Coincidence? Possibly. But food for thought.
Pretty sure those "mystery raiders" are Kell Hounds. The raider thing is explained in the same sidebar as the Kell Hounds situation, and the flotilla descriptions are quite similar.

Andai

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
« Reply #320 on: 20 April 2020, 17:33:52 »
Did anyone thought of the scenario Pack bloodright in addition to redemption and malice? Maybe he is just an offspring of andrew hallis....
Starcolonel Andai Pryde, Co 4th Cluster, Omega Galaxy, Clan Wolf in Exile
Captain Marcus Pieters, 5th Syrtis Fusiliers
Field Agent Andreas "Andai" Hoffmann #1007

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #321 on: 24 April 2020, 15:52:38 »
Did anyone thought of the scenario Pack bloodright in addition to redemption and malice? Maybe he is just an offspring of andrew hallis....

Perhaps...perhaps not. 

I have thought about it.  Other projects are in the queue. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #322 on: 24 April 2020, 16:25:39 »
Other projects are in the queue. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #323 on: 25 April 2020, 02:58:46 »
I did not even know that book existed.

Annwn

• Corporal
« Reply #324 on: 27 April 2020, 22:52:44 »

Yes, the story of the 2nd Exodus needs to be told.  No idea why they couldn't green light a few books like BoI that tell a good story but still leave things mysterious.  I always felt like the story of why the Wolverines chose the stops they did and what they were going for would be a good one.  They almost assuredly didn't just randomly stop on planets to grab a handful of supplies & break out some random Kuritan political prisoners - they would have only acted very deliberately in 1) making their presence known to the IS (and via that, eventually, their survival to the Clans), and 2) risking confrontation of any sort (which they could ill afford).  The risk/reward must have been incredibly high because they had successfully escaped and any contact would eventually expose their survival to a society hell-bent on destroying them.  Despite that, they still made the raids they did.  My theory to explain that was that the Kuritan prison was potentially either 1) not a prison, 2) held the families of a group of people the Kuritans wanted to keep in line, or 3) had a prisoner/prisoners who knew things of great value to the Wolverines.  The easiest explanations for those scenarios that spring into my mind - 1) the Kuritans rounded up a bunch of former SL scientists (or merely kept a SLDF complex running that pre-existed) and either had them keep working at the "prison" or perhaps kept their families at the prison to keep them in line (& the Wolverines picked up the scientists on a prior raid then went to grab their families). OR - 2) some old SL person or people were held prisoner that knew something very valuable - the Kuritans may not have known those people were valuable, but the Wolverines did.  The scientists or knowledgeable people (in addition to likely being valuable by themselves) may have been targeted due to their knowledge of old SL installations the Wolverines needed to get their hands on (manufacturing, equipment, supplies, home bases, potentially even worlds to settle) and/or perhaps even the holy grail of knowledge - the location of the backup Prometheus Database of the Cameron's.  This was only 41 years after the Exodus, key people and scientists would have still been alive from the SL - especially given extended lifespans. How would the Wolverines know who to look for?  Perhaps McEvedy's father was in a position to have the knowledge needed, perhaps it was teased out of SLDF data files by the Wolverines, or perhaps Franklin Hallis' trip to the McKenna's Pride had a primary mission of locating this sort of information Aleksander may have left in data files onboard and the bombardment was the secondary mission/cover.  They then went looking in the Combine. 

Redemption & Malice - that was a good read.  I liked how it started innocently enough and then slowly layered in the breadcrumbs.  I think we have to assume that Mr. Pardoe intended for them to be Wolverines and it had enough plausible deniability to get approved by CGL.  The Bloodright connection isn't a possibility IMO - no reason for an Inner Sphere survivor of House Hallis affiliated with a mysterious group operating around the Periphery to call Alexsander Kerensky the Great Father all Clan-style (let alone the Clave & Circle bits). 

Moving onto the even more fanciful discussion of Wolverine tech in 3148 as it relates to the story - I'd guess it's unlikely the Wolverines are operating purely at the level of salvaging frankenmechs - ie not operating as a scavenger culture - they are clearly after "salvage" and there to "find parts the Clave needed", but they never said that the 400 year old battlemechs, parts, and vehicles they were salvaging was their primary goal - could just be a hobby or side project.  Notably, they arrived in an unmarked dropship of unusual design (hardly a sign of a scavenger-level culture), and discussed actual fights in Battlemechs in Circles - a waste of gear not likely in an equipment-scarce society.  The entire trip there was a right won and was called a "pilgrimage".  You can do a ton of speculating on that stuff - 1) the Wolverines could be artifact seekers much like the Goliath Scorpions, 2) they could test warriors constantly by giving them nothing on missions & the warriors are tasked with being successful with what's on hand leading to the improvising in creating frankenmechs & salvaging those items (very Red Dawnish!), 3) they have a specific use for the SLDF stuff - possibly in the context of ritual or training combat in historical gear, or 4) of note they didn't comment on the value of the Union they captured - which would theoretically be a much greater boon to a scavenger society than some mech parts or frankenmechs AND they clearly gave away some of the mechs the pirates had - so that seems to discount a scavenger culture - it's possible they were salvaging other things not at all seen or mentioned in the story (ie why was the SLDF and Rim Worlds on that world to begin with? - they may have been looking for & salvaging from a base, a storehouse, manufacturing stuff, etc).  It's also unlikely that the Wolverines would have not pursued their own manufacturing capabilities and it's also unlikely they could maintain a warrior culture (with lots of Circle combat apparently) based on scavenging small amounts of parts via 2-person teams off ever dwindling amounts of ~400 year old periphery Reunification War battlefields.

All of the above in mind, the Malice & Redemption story does make me wonder a bit more about the Green Ghost potential linkages with the Wolverines.  The Green Ghosts clearly mimic units and re-use equipment.  Probably to help them remain undetected.  The known members of the Green Ghosts may, in-fact, just be purposeful red-herrings or perhaps the Green Ghosts are an auxiliary force for them - ie a foreign legion if you will - to avoid detection but allow more visible action than the low level stuff they've apparently been doing.  The Ghost's known use of a Colossus dropship plus the specific mention in the story of a dropship of unknown origin - a Colossus might fit.  The Green Ghosts notably using combined arms formations & the 331st game rules on combined arms bonuses, etc.  All interesting.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2020, 23:28:35 by Annwn »

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #325 on: 28 April 2020, 09:07:15 »
Annwn, lots of very good points but...

The prisoners from Kurita most likely weren't SL scientists or their families. Maybe a few, but not the main portion. That was 37-38 years after the Exodus and smack dab right between the 1st and 2nd SW. Chances are they were simple political prisoners with a few POWs that were never returned. Everything the Wolverines needed.

You see, they were just plain short on people. You need a pretty large number of people to have a viable colony without genetic issues (around 10k people if you don't restrict breeding). You are also going to need a lot of plain labor to start.

What I would do if I were in charge of the Wolverine Remnant is to first establish current info on the Inner Sphere. Once you have that current information, you list what is needed and make as few stops as possible. Once done, disappear, lick my Clan's wounds, and regain strength and figure out what we are going to do from there.

Annwn

• Corporal
« Reply #326 on: 28 April 2020, 14:56:49 »
Annwn, lots of very good points but...

The prisoners from Kurita most likely weren't SL scientists or their families. Maybe a few, but not the main portion. That was 37-38 years after the Exodus and smack dab right between the 1st and 2nd SW. Chances are they were simple political prisoners with a few POWs that were never returned. Everything the Wolverines needed.

You see, they were just plain short on people. You need a pretty large number of people to have a viable colony without genetic issues (around 10k people if you don't restrict breeding). You are also going to need a lot of plain labor to start.

What I would do if I were in charge of the Wolverine Remnant is to first establish current info on the Inner Sphere. Once you have that current information, you list what is needed and make as few stops as possible. Once done, disappear, lick my Clan's wounds, and regain strength and figure out what we are going to do from there.

That's a good point.  They could be a bit short on people, even though I know they had some civilians.  I'll have to re-read BoI and the other references to see if we have any sort of potential civilian/non-warrior population ever indicated or hinted at. I guess I always just questioned the value of taking a prison full of people from the Combine to be in your civilian population.  I don't believe there is any indication they ever snatched more people - surely they would have if they were that desperate? 

Here is the actual text (original House Kurita book) -

"Though it was inconceivable that the Tribe could have known about the large prison and slave camps on the planet, their ‘Mechs went straight for them. After easily overpowering the guards, they were soon freeing the many thousands of prisoners. Several DropShips then landed in the midst of the prison complexes to load up and transport all the freed prisoners offworld before the Kurita ‘Mechs could arrive on the scene. Though no one realized it for quite awhile, the liberation of the prisoners and Unproductives on Richmond was the last time the Minnesota Tribe was seen in the Inner Sphere."

and from the House Kurita Handbook -

" The raiders immediately made for the large prison and slave camps on the planet, established after the fall of the Star League. Despite the prison’s isolated location, the Minnesotans knew exactly where to strike. They freed thousands of prisoners, who were loaded onto several landing DropShips and taken offworld before the Kuritan garrison force could arrive"

from the Second Succession War -

"The second encounter with the tribe occurred on Trondheim on 17 December, a prefecture capital and base of the Twentieth Rasalhague Regulars. The rationale for attacking the world was unclear—the tribe took some supplies but not as much as they had from Svelvik; the ISF postulated the unit was looking for information"

"The final encounter with the Minnesota Tribe took place on Richmond on 9 March 2827 and was notable for the raiders’ very clear purpose. After landing, the tribe quickly brushed the garrison forces aside and moved to liberate the world’s massive slave and prison camps. They showed little interest in other objectives, and so the Combine assumed they were the reason for the Richmond assault. However, as many of the camps were new—some newly home to political prisoners from Jinjiro’s post–First War pogroms—it seemed likely the tribe had learned of them on a previous raid, most likely Svelvik. Dozens of DropShips landed to extract thousands of prisoners, soon boosting into orbit and rejoining the transports. "

It looks like they were looking for something - seeking specific information.  Why did they go to this specific planet and seek out these specific people?  Why the specific mention of the camps being - "established after the fall of the Star League"?  We know there was a large bit of technological decline starting around this time - if the Combine had a program of detaining or kidnapping as many Star League scientists as it could right after the Star League fell and the Wolverines went and raided the secret complex they were toiling at with their families...it would fit rather neatly.  The Second Succession War part indicates only some of the camps & prisoners were political - and those were newer.  What were the older parts for?

On the topic of civilians -
from The Clans, Warriors of Kerensky,
"While most of the Wolverine front-line troops had been accounted for on Circe, many of the second-line warriors appeared to be missing..." and "Similarly, there were fewer civilians than expected."

Why go to those lengths for a few thousand laborers?  Why not just hit a periphery world known for slaving if you wanted a few thousand  eager people?  Why not just hit a random prison or two found on almost any world?  Why spend a length of time hunting for a specific prison camp in the Combine and forever raise your profile/blow your cover?  A hit on a pirate world or backwater slaving world in the Periphery probably wouldn't be remembered 20 years later most likely.  The Wolverines were looking for something in the Combine and I don't think it was just a few thousand laborers.  It was worth extensive searching...what could possible be of such value?  I realize the canon sources have gradually lengthened the time the Wolverines were present in the Combine - but by the Second Succession War book (the most recent source detailing their trip in the Combine) - they spent 21 months hanging out from Svelvik until raiding Richmond.  Heck of a potential story hook there IMO.  That's why I think there was likely a specific person or persons they were after.  Worth 21 months of searching and hanging out in the Combine.  Would have to be pretty high value.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2020, 15:16:10 by Annwn »

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #327 on: 28 April 2020, 15:38:15 »
It looks like they were looking for something - seeking specific information.  Why did they go to this specific planet and seek out these specific people?  Why the specific mention of the camps being - "established after the fall of the Star League"?  We know there was a large bit of technological decline starting around this time - if the Combine had a program of detaining or kidnapping as many Star League scientists as it could right after the Star League fell and the Wolverines went and raided the secret complex they were toiling at with their families...it would fit rather neatly.  The Second Succession War part indicates only some of the camps & prisoners were political - and those were newer.  What were the older parts for?

They could have easily hit a Periphery world earlier that wasn't heard about for some mildly up to date information. The used that information to single out a larger world that fir the bill for what they really needed, good up to date info. It's what every general wants, INTEL. Trondheim fit the bill perfectly.

If I needed people, political prisons would fit the bill perfectly. Not only would some be older Star League loyalists that would probably welcome the Wolverines with open arms. And possibly that's why they kept the old 331st patch. The rest would be in the position of staying there for the rest of their lives (it's what political prisoners get) or choosing the unknown.

With a regular prison you have mostly criminals who aren't going to adapt to a new society, would cause problems for it, and some that are in for short terms are going to be looking forward to seeing their families.

Slaves on the other hand are usually just poorly trained cheap labor with medical and other problems. If you free them, they'll likely not work or want to work for payment or you just re-enslave them which you end up with slaves that are even more unhappy (being away from everything they knew).

The political prisoners are just going to be the best people. And you likely would find some scientists, they are usually the most outspoken.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #328 on: 18 May 2020, 07:57:17 »
Is it just me or does Malice and Redemption actually open more doors for Wolverine fans as it closes?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #329 on: 18 May 2020, 09:13:36 »
To me it opens up a lot of questions without spoiling anything for the future or revealing much of anything.