Author Topic: Why did an incomplete website replace the still-functioning website?  (Read 2665 times)

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
I am curious, why was this new site put into use before it had been built up to snuff? Why not keep the old one running with a newspost linking to the new, still-developing site?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Just a guess, but the site is more than just the forums. The forums are probably a part of the site, and if you're moving from one version of site hosting software to another (which I believe happened), then it would be "all or nothing".

Given TPTB chose to migrate the contents of the previous version of the forums to this version of the site, there would be no real way to run in parallel. If they waited until all was up, that would have kept the forums down all that time as well.

In addition, I'm pretty sure CGL doesn't have teams of highly qualified webmasters on the payroll - I think Herb, Randall, and maybe Herb's cats are the only permanent staff, actually. You'd be amazed how much gets  done by volunteers.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
So CGL decided they needed new site hosting software lickity split, but they're still using the same server as before, and what they've done to the server renders it unable to host the old site?  ???

EDIT: no, just checked the BattleBlog, they've got a new server. Everything else aside, two servers should mean they can host two sites, yeah?
« Last Edit: 31 October 2011, 01:00:28 by skiltao »
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
Re: Why did an incomplete website replace the still-functioning website?
« Reply #3 on: 02 November 2011, 03:47:40 »
Lemme explain this...

CBT was hosted by me on a different server than all the other catalyst websites. They've moved CBT onto the same server as all the other sites and kicked mine to the curb.

Funny since I was just about to do a hardware upgrade to handle the load of these forums, when the server they moved it to is LESS machine.
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Notsonoble

• Lieutenant
  • Justice will be delicious!!!
« Reply #4 on: 02 November 2011, 16:50:36 »
Ouch... expect wombat triggered crash in 3...2...
Self:  Meltrans are already culture shocked, except their response is to squeal like high school girls at a boy band concert and discharge energy weapons in random directions.
Weirdo: Sounds like the proper reaction to a Macross Cannon to me.
Quote from: Weirdo
And of course if even a single Constitution had shown up onscreen for even a single second, you would have been able to hear the mass squeeing from orbit.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: 02 November 2011, 18:14:11 »
Lemme explain this...

CBT was hosted by me on a different server than all the other catalyst websites. They've moved CBT onto the same server as all the other sites and kicked mine to the curb.

Funny since I was just about to do a hardware upgrade to handle the load of these forums, when the server they moved it to is LESS machine.

Putting aside the dumbassery of kicking you aside, do you suppose there's any technological reason that their server couldn't host the old BT site alongside their new one?

Register