Author Topic: The Free Worlds League: Winning with what we've got!  (Read 162509 times)

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
Re: The Free Worlds League: Winning with what we've got!
« Reply #1380 on: 14 September 2018, 10:04:09 »
You can have my light gauss Ontoses when you pry them from my cold, dead hands.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1381 on: 14 September 2018, 12:44:21 »
M1 Moltkes are better, but their availability is a problem.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #1382 on: 14 September 2018, 12:59:16 »
 I always liked the Merkava addition, but the Light Gauss Rifle Ontos is a beauty. The Galleon remains a workhorse.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1383 on: 14 September 2018, 12:59:56 »
And those LGR Ontos do have a mod in that era, the MML variant.

So take that!  >:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1384 on: 14 September 2018, 13:07:29 »
It was I believe pointed out, but the proposed battle is a CW era and thus MMLs are out.

I wish we could get a Merkava Mk X from the Regulans . . . MMLs rather than its split missile systems and change to HFF armor.  Maybe LMGs or SPLs rather than old MGs- or leave them for flavor (The M2 machine gun was good enough for our great grandfathers, its good enough for you kid.  Seriously . . . replacing it b/c the new generation cannot handle maintenance?)
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1385 on: 14 September 2018, 13:24:34 »
Check out the Goblin MG... 3025 era ICE, yes but... : 5 ton Infantry bay! Plus you could add alternative ammo!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1386 on: 14 September 2018, 15:53:15 »
Check out the Goblin MG... 3025 era ICE, yes but... : 5 ton Infantry bay! Plus you could add alternative ammo!

TT

the goblin mg is the five dollar bill you keep forgetting you have in your pocket and are so happy every time you find it

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #1387 on: 15 September 2018, 01:19:04 »
Making my way to the League. I have read up on it in the various sourcebooks and historicals. I have to say, I am kind of liking its quirks. What brought all of you to the FWL?

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1388 on: 15 September 2018, 03:17:00 »
Making my way to the League. I have read up on it in the various sourcebooks and historicals. I have to say, I am kind of liking its quirks. What brought all of you to the FWL?
Well, for me it was partially because I am Czech and partially because FWL often seems like the military weak faction and I like factions that aren't overpowering.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1389 on: 15 September 2018, 12:48:27 »

Purple, the fact that it's the only major faction with no video game screen time, and my early-college-age self really liked the Knights of the Inner Sphere.

Since then, it's the most interesting internal politics in the setting, general disuse of Assault Mechs, and combined arms (particularly battle armor).
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1390 on: 15 September 2018, 14:19:50 »
Both the Purple and the Eagle, reminded me of my favorites...

TO POLITICAL TO MENTION.

So early Colonial Europe,  8)

That and they made the best tanks eva! Ontos, Thumper TAV, and Bulldog...

My staple tank forces.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1391 on: 15 September 2018, 18:26:37 »
I wound up randomly assigned to a FWL faction on a BattleTech game a while back. Decided to stick with them. Liked the Knights of the Inner Sphere at the time.

Eventually developed an outright disdain for clan factions (which FWL somehow wound up fighting in the games in question) and their players. I've mellowed on that some over time. Also wound up fighting a lot of lyrans (walls of Gauss-boat assaults everywhere!), and was very satisfied when I discovered FWL actually does have tools to beat them.

While my 'hatred' for our neighbor factions has calmed down some, thankfully, I stick around because I now enjoy the machines we have. They fit my aesthetic, my interests in speed and a mix of weapons, and so on.

I'm particularly fond of our jump-capable general purpose heavies, as well as some of our assaults such as the Grand Titan N11M and the Juliano. We're fun in a different way from what the majority of players I meet prefer, and I like being different.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1392 on: 15 September 2018, 20:31:51 »
I’m drawn to self-sabotaging dumpster fires

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #1393 on: 15 September 2018, 20:38:01 »
I’m drawn to self-sabotaging dumpster fires

So, an FWL fan.

THERE.  I SAID IT SO NO ONE ELSE HAS TO.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1394 on: 15 September 2018, 23:25:27 »
Can someone walk me through the Alpha Strike conversion of the Mad Cat Mk IV C? When I do it, I wind up with 4 Long damage but the official card says 5. I'm confused.
EDIT: Same deal with the medium/close damage. I wind up with 4, the card says 5. I must be missing something?
« Last Edit: 15 September 2018, 23:41:51 by GespenstM »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #1395 on: 16 September 2018, 01:20:51 »
Can someone walk me through the Alpha Strike conversion of the Mad Cat Mk IV C? When I do it, I wind up with 4 Long damage but the official card says 5. I'm confused.
EDIT: Same deal with the medium/close damage. I wind up with 4, the card says 5. I must be missing something?

LRM 15s with Artemis V generate 1.26 damage each at long range.  ER Large Lasers generate 1 each.  Total of 4.52 damage before heat modification.

The Mk IV C generates 4 heat for movement, accumulated weapons heat at long range is 34, total heat 38.  Heat modification is thusly: (4.52 * 30) / (38 - 4) = 3.988.

If I had to guess, I'd say it was an error with the engine type.  XXLs generate extra movement heat, and if the heat were calculated as with a standard XL it'd round to 5.

For Short and Medium, the total damage is: 7.46 before heat modification.  Total accumulated heat at those ranges is: 4 for movement, 52 for weapons (4+4+5+5+12+12+5+5), for a total of 56 heat.  Heat modification is: (7.46 * 30) / (56 - 4) = 4.144.  That does round up to 5.  Since the unmodified value would have rounded up to 8, the OV value of 3 is also correct.

Not all cards are correct despite our best efforts.  I'd raise this in the MUL thread.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
« Reply #1396 on: 16 September 2018, 06:41:43 »
I am coming to the league in a round about manner. I was sent a set if faction pins from Gencon and distributed them through my group and got the Eagle for myself. Then I started reading "Close Quarters" and got an interest in the Southwest Trinity Worlds. Since then I have gathered all the League fluff I can find.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #1397 on: 16 September 2018, 08:45:06 »
I went for the League because it's a democracy.  Well.  It was, in any case.  Replace the blue paint on Mel Gibson with purple and that's me:  FREEEEEEEEEEEDOM!
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1398 on: 16 September 2018, 10:10:10 »
Yeah, confirmed there were some errors on the Mad Cat Mk. IVs. Thanks for double-checking my suspicion, Scotty.

One last Alpha Strike question: Why do the PPC Capacitors REDUCE your damage in Alpha Strike conversions compared to a PPC without a Capacitor? Did this get changed in errata and I missed it?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1399 on: 16 September 2018, 10:18:45 »
Yeah, confirmed there were some errors on the Mad Cat Mk. IVs. Thanks for double-checking my suspicion, Scotty.

One last Alpha Strike question: Why do the PPC Capacitors REDUCE your damage in Alpha Strike conversions compared to a PPC without a Capacitor? Did this get changed in errata and I missed it?

Because my ranting against it has failed to get it changed. (And MG arrays and snub nose PPCs).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

GespenstM

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1400 on: 16 September 2018, 10:30:35 »
Cool. Well, I definitely like the overall thrust of this system despite my picking at the details like this. Thanks for the info!

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1401 on: 16 September 2018, 10:45:57 »

I believe the assumption is that since you have to spend a turn charging the capacitor, you only fire the PPC half as often, thus the total damage overall goes down.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1402 on: 16 September 2018, 11:15:27 »
I believe the assumption is that since you have to spend a turn charging the capacitor, you only fire the PPC half as often, thus the total damage overall goes down.

Yes, that’s the reasoning behind it. I just disagree with it :).
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #1403 on: 16 September 2018, 11:50:00 »

I assure you, you're not alone.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #1404 on: 16 September 2018, 11:53:57 »

It's part and parcel of the same thinking that made weapons damage divided by 10 and armor divided by 30, really.  The assumption is that 1 AS turn = 3 TW turns and you fire your weapons every TW turn.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1405 on: 16 September 2018, 12:05:18 »
Capacitors are a choice.  If you have them, there is no requirement that you use them on any turn. The only time you would use them is if in that situation using them is a better option. If it’s not, then you don’t use them.
But the base PPC damage should be the minimum they are considered for damage, because that remains an option.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1406 on: 16 September 2018, 12:31:48 »
Capacitors are a choice.  If you have them, there is no requirement that you use them on any turn. The only time you would use them is if in that situation using them is a better option. If it’s not, then you don’t use them.
But the base PPC damage should be the minimum they are considered for damage, because that remains an option.

While we're on the subject, how about LB-X ACs losing damage to possibly gain a flak bonus that's useful only in very limited circumstances. Why wouldn't that 'Mech use standard shells in all other instances?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1407 on: 16 September 2018, 13:00:03 »
While we're on the subject, how about LB-X ACs losing damage to possibly gain a flak bonus that's useful only in very limited circumstances. Why wouldn't that 'Mech use standard shells in all other instances?

Agreed. Single lb10xs usually get away with it.  Lb20s and twin lb10s are treated horribly by it.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1408 on: 16 September 2018, 13:38:15 »
Well it's not just Alpha Strike... in standard/CBT Aerospace battles LB-X ACs always use flak ammo as well.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1409 on: 16 September 2018, 13:51:37 »
Well it's not just Alpha Strike... in standard/CBT Aerospace battles LB-X ACs always use flak ammo as well.

That's awful too.

Register