Author Topic: Good Demo Force  (Read 2434 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
Good Demo Force
« on: 13 October 2018, 19:36:52 »
So a friend of mine hasn't played since the early 90's & I'm looking to set up some demo fights.

What do you all think of the following forces for a couple of Demos to get the feel back.

Both use L1/Intro tech & minis from the basic boxed sets of the last decade.

Fight-1  Single Mechs

1024   Vindicator-1R
v/s
1032   Enforcer-4R

Fight #2  -  Lance on Lance

Lance-1
1605   Awesome-8Q               
1399   Catapult-C1               
1024   Vindicator-1R               
875   Jenner-7D               

4903   Total BV               

Lance #2
1751   Banshee-3S
1427   GrassHopper-5H
1032   Enforcer-4R
622   Spider-5V

4832   Total BV

What do you all think?

Solid choices to showcase the sizes of mechs, speeds, & weaponry?
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 19:40:07 by Hellraiser »
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
Re: Good Demo Force
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2018, 11:27:23 »
Vindicator vs Enforcer seems like a classic duel.

Your lance game would be played to a time limit rather than full destruction of the enemy force, right? Barring lucky hits, I don't see the Spider, Banshee or Awesome dying before the game's up.
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2018, 12:05:12 »
I'd opt for not too tough designs with more firepower than sense 'Mechs, in medium to heavy range with not too much speed. This would teach tactical importance of cover and partial covert to mitigate damage yet limited speed of medium to heavy designs means they're relatively easy to hit. Thin armor and a lot of firepower means quick deaths. A lot of firepower highlights importance of heat management, and hopefully thin armor makes pushing heat high attractive.

Pity the intro box has no Marauder and Warhammer, they'd be quite ideal here.

Catapult C1, Orion V (the one that trades armor for another SRM), JagerMech (LRM variant offers a bit more firepower), Zeus (perhaps the PPC variant), Cyclops all have thin armor but relatively high firepower with middling speed. For something faster, the Dragon and Quickdraw are reasonable as they have weak armor (Grand Dragon for extra firepower might be good but it is considerably more valuable than the Quickdraw). Throw in the Enforcer and Vindicator or perhaps Trebuchet and Dervish.

I get the idea of showcasing speed and extreme durability along with other stuff, but i'm not sure they're particularly enjoyable at first. Speed may be difficult to utilize for a newbie, but also difficult to deal with for a newbie. Awesome etc. just tend to become turrets, which isn't particularly interesting.

For starter duel, the Enforcer vs Vindicator is good definitively, though i think the Enforcer has slight advantage as once it is at medium range, it has higher damage output, the Vindy needs to keep its distance to stay on top of the fight.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2018, 17:09:47 »
The 1v1 is ideal, but I think the lance battle shows the shortcomings of the BV system.  My money would be on the second lance any day of the week, the BV deficit (and my personal preference for Awesomes) notwithstanding.  The Steiner Banshee is a beast, and a Grasshopper will own any given Catapult on anything other than an open plain.  Down at the lower end, I think the Jenner and Spider are more evenly matched than reflected by BV.  Jumping for +4 in an era without pulse lasers is worth quite a bit (unless, of course, you're playing with 0 gunners).

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • Broke the Bandwagon
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2018, 21:38:48 »
IMO, there is too much jumping contained in those groupings and group 1 has large LRMs and the other force has 2 small launchers.   The 70 point BV difference between the two units appear to tip the scale in group 1s favor.

Very little choices also have to be made for heat management which depending on what you are aiming for could be good or bad.

The Vindy vs Enforcer straight up makes perfect sense.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2018, 21:49:46 »
They use Panther vs. Jenner at the Boot Camp during Gencon.

Both have jump, a solid armor and or weapon load... also the standard wooded map was used.

For Lance, why not a classic Davion / Kurita fight, circa 3049 4th SW?

Hachetman - Hachetman fight anyone?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #6 on: 15 October 2018, 14:18:29 »
Try these out. As an added bonus, they're the contents of the new box set.

Lance A  4545 BV

LCT-1S Locust
WVR-6R Wolverine
CPLT-C1 Catapult
AWS-8Q Awesome

Lance B  4542 BV

COM-2B Commando
SHD-2H Shadow Hawk
TDR-5S Thunderbolt
BLR-1G Battlemaster
I have spoken.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 15 October 2018, 17:00:41 »
Very close... I think I'd probably swap the SRM Locust and Commando though, as I favor the Awesome over the Battlemaster and the second lance has plenty of SRMs already between the Shadow Hawk, Thunderbolt, and Battlemaster.  I don't know what that'll do the BV, as I don't use that system.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 15 October 2018, 20:47:21 »
Thank you all for the input.

I like that there are exact opposite opinions in there about which lance is the clear winner.   Must mean I picked well enough to cause debate.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2018, 10:19:18 »
I agree with playing to a time limit or increasing the number of weapon/armor ratio mechs as suggested.  You want to get him excited about it, blowing things up helps the excitement level.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 21 October 2018, 18:21:12 »
Falconer -9R
Venom -9KC

VS

Falcon Hawk -9K
Banshee -6S

Shooty VS mobile. The two things I'd worry about are 1) the Heavy Gauss getting an early lucky hit 2) the venom being excessively annoying to hit.

Opinions?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2018, 22:05:48 »
Banshee 6S vs Falconer is a bad match up- the Falconer has too many advantages.  Better range, more overall firepower, better mobility.  And the Banshee's weapons are all mounted in the torso so if the Falconer gets to its rear it's effectively screwed.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 22 October 2018, 22:40:30 »
Banshee 6S vs Falconer is a bad match up- the Falconer has too many advantages.  Better range, more overall firepower, better mobility.  And the Banshee's weapons are all mounted in the torso so if the Falconer gets to its rear it's effectively screwed.

Not the original Falconer, the Jihad one with heavy PPC and LB-10X. Less range, but you get the shotgun.

Yeah, Falconer is a lot more mobile, but a 25-point gun covers a lot of sins. All it takes is one initiative roll and a to-hit and it's over.
« Last Edit: 22 October 2018, 22:49:19 by Greatclub »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #13 on: 22 October 2018, 23:05:57 »
I actually forgot about that Falconer variant.

An HGR only does 25 points of damage out to 6 hexes.  If the Falconer stays at 14-18 hexes, it actually outguns the Banshee, as the HGR drops down to 10 points.  No, that's just not a match up I'd want to be running the Banshee in.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #14 on: 23 October 2018, 00:12:35 »
Not sure why you would add the complication of a HGR in a instructional match up.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 23 October 2018, 22:32:28 »
1) because it's an unquestionably decisive weapon. At short range it can peel a torso with one hit, and is significant even at medium range. It's exciting.

2) It minimizes the number of dice that need to be rolled. Demo games are slow enough without throwing around a half dozen weapons, each needing to have it's to-hit calced.

3) Because I'm a sometime warmahordes player, and the HG exemplifies risk management

4) unless the banshee spends the game chasing after the Venom, there really isn't much of a worry about long-range kiting on a single map. Back-stabs are a more relevant concern, but one that happens whenever one unit is faster. Hopefully that's what the Falcon Hawk is for.

5) I'd run this as a second game, after panther / Jenner

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 24 October 2018, 10:17:45 »
Heavy Gauss Rifles require a PSR unless bracing (contradicts #2).

Heavy Gauss Rifles explode- into the CT depending on design.

Heavy Gauss Rifles have variable damage over range.

This is for teaching a new player, your adding a lot of case rules with complications.  You want a BFG, there are plenty in the Lyran stable (and a regular Gauss armed Banshee) and among other Houses.  The Venom keeps things from being 'decisive' as you want . . . heavies & assaults IMO should go no more than 4/6, and yeah BFGs but also some smaller stuff and lights/meds should not be the annoying kite-you-game-never-ends stuff like the OTT, Spiders or Venoms.
Colt Ward