Author Topic: What was Earthdawn like?  (Read 2114 times)

abou

• Captain
What was Earthdawn like?
« on: 15 September 2014, 20:28:23 »
I came across some Earthdawn books on eBay and it reminded me of flipping through the old FASA catalogs. What was the game like? It seemed interesting, but I never played any of it.

Just curious. This seemed to be the best forum for it.

wolfgar

• Captain
  • Wolfson's Heavy Raiders: 3058-3092
Re: What was Earthdawn like?
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2014, 22:54:48 »
Think post apocalypse D&D and you'll be close. Its fun but I hate the damn brain slugs.
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2014, 23:06:59 »
Never played it myself. But it's still in print actually, so you can still check it out if you want: http://earthdawn.fasagames.com/.
(Yes, that does say FASA. But not the same company. Not sure any of the old FASA crew has anything to do with it.)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2014, 15:55:04 »
"Apocalypse DnD" - I like that. There were some interesting tie-ins to Shadowrun, too, since Earthdawn was allegedly the 4th World to Shadowrun's 6th world. (The non-magical boring era between c4000BC and c2000AD was the 5th.) For some reason, I always thought of Earthdawn when I played Eberron. I guess it's because both had fairly high levels of magical use.

The original dice system was...weird. It worked fast enough, but it was different.

If you can pick up the core book cheap (< $10), it'd be worth it for the read even if you never play the game.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

wolfgar

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2014, 16:01:54 »
And if they are the D20 adaptations you're golden. They play well in Pathfinder D&D and D20 games
Wolf wins every fight but one, and in that one he dies, his fangs locked on the throat of his opponent.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2014, 19:45:26 »
I can't remember exactly where I saw it bring discussed (possibly in one of the Q&A threads over on CGL's Shadowrun boards), but I recall a mention somewhere about which older Earthdawn books and editions were considered to be "canon" from an ancient-history-of-SR perspective, and which more recent ones were/are not.

I think there was a certain change of ownership of one property or another which marked the cut-off point, if one indeed exists.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2014, 19:46:59 by Nerroth »

wolfgar

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2014, 11:27:32 »
It was when FASA finally went under. Anything before that is good,  after that its questionable. I happen to be a SR gmin my area.

Gardensnake

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2014, 00:38:07 »
I came across some Earthdawn books on eBay and it reminded me of flipping through the old FASA catalogs. What was the game like? It seemed interesting, but I never played any of it.

Just curious. This seemed to be the best forum for it.

I loved Earthdawn. The magic system was cool. It was a bit like a cross between D&D's system and Shadowrun's. You had to have a spell in what was called a matrix to cast or else you risked attracting the horrors. You loaded your spells in the matrixes ahead of time and you only had so many matrixes per your level. The world was cool. I guess what I really liked about it, was that it wasn't D&D. While there was nothing wrong with D&D, every other fantasy game just seemed like a D&D clone and Earthdawn was different. It had some different races and not just the same monsters rehashed. There is a 4th edition coming out but there are plenty of 1st edition books out there that if you want, you could get those and have a great time.

William

abou

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 25 September 2014, 23:08:00 »
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll check it out. Interesting how FASA linked Earthdawn and Shadowrun together.

Would have posted sooner, but I was on vacation.

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2014, 08:55:08 »
The original dice system was...weird. It worked fast enough, but it was different.

I liked the open ended mechanic. Ported it into a Mechwarrior campaign for a cinematic flair.
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #10 on: 27 September 2014, 16:32:03 »
Think post apocalypse D&D and you'll be close. Its fun but I hate the damn brain slugs.

So Dark Sun?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

wolfgar

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 27 September 2014, 20:03:17 »
Not quite.  Magic doesn't eat the land in Earthdawn but it does introduce particulars of blood magic that shows up later in SR.