Author Topic: Removing the metal base...  (Read 1853 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
Removing the metal base...
« on: 31 May 2017, 19:52:40 »
Does anyone remove the metal base from there minis and how difficult is it if you do? Tips?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Removing the metal base...
« Reply #1 on: 31 May 2017, 20:43:07 »
Get a razor saw, like this - the wider blade

Then start cutting under the base of the foot, parallel with the metal base. Make sure you're not cutting upwards (you'll lose the foot), or downwards (you'll end up cutting too much base). Gets pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

Yes, you'll lose a little of the foot, but careful cutting and rebasing deals with that pretty easily.

For very small feet - and I'm thinking like the Spider - you can also use a Stanley knife blade. Take it easy, rock it back & forth. It'll cut pewter - lead very easily - and you don't tend to lose material. But it's only feasible for smaller cuts.

The toes may bend during the process - that's OK, bend'em back later.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 31 May 2017, 20:45:21 »
 O0 Thanks for the info WT

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2017, 09:09:15 »
I've often used wire clippers to cut away the larger bits, trim with a hobby knife, and then file flat.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

shadhawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2017, 17:28:24 »
Does anyone remove the metal base from there minis and how difficult is it if you do? Tips?

Is the base filled in or not?

If not use a # 17 or 18 chisel blade from x-ato to get under the the mini. Just talk the back of the blade handle with a small hammer and it will pop off.
If the base is filled then you will have to remove the filler then do as above.

I have done this many times and it works well.

Register