Author Topic: Shrapnel 10 - Thoughts?  (Read 18239 times)

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
Re: Shrapnel 10 - Thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: 15 November 2022, 20:04:31 »
Per the Edict of Severance, any Clanner in the Inner Sphere who could make either a matrilineal or patrilineal claim to a Bloodhouse was allowed to form a new Bloodhouse of that name in the Inner Sphere in the late 3090s, without regard to the claims of Kerensky Cluster-based Clans.

That explains it.  Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #61 on: 15 November 2022, 20:28:39 »
Battle of the Belt: I took a gander at this because, again, Hell's Horses... but I gotta say, this is one of the most unique and interesting scenarios I've ever seen, and I can't *wait* to give this one a whirl!

It's designed to give players lots of choices that have potential rewards measured against high risk in a very unforgiving environment.  (Less so than in the first draft, where failing a maneuver roll meant drifting off into the void or pancaking into an asteroid at terminal velocity - the playtest was brutal during the transits.)
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #62 on: 16 November 2022, 16:44:07 »
Okay, now that I finally got my hands on this issue, I'm gonna react to the content that especially interested me.

"A Trial Most Acceptable": This was hands-down not only my favorite story in the issue by a long shot, but it might be my favorite story I've read in BattleTech in years. I'm a sucker for the Hell's Horses, so I was immediately drawn in. I LOVED the dive into ProtoMechWarriors and how they work in practice, something we haven't seen since Randall's "Tears of Blood". As an LGBT player, I appreciated the brief touch on the Clan view of sexuality, and how casual they were not only about sexual relations in general but with *same-sex* relations, something we've all long theorized about but never had many concrete examples of. I really, really enjoyed this story a LOT.

Thank you!  I really felt - and wanted to show - that Clans, since reproduction is separate from sex, don't care who bangs who.  More than that, I also wanted to show respecting of boundaries: "oh, you don't want to have sex with me? Cool, cool, let me introduce you to my friend, you might like them instead."
Thank you as well for the kind words about the ProtoMechs: I really wanted to make them unique, and intresting to both readers and future writers.

and, finally, like your review said, there is a TON of great stuff in that issue: cover to cover, It's one of my faves (if not my TOP FAVE) of all the issues published so far!

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #63 on: 17 November 2022, 15:49:57 »
Remember to leave reviews on Amazon, not just here. Reviews are so much better than simple ratings :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

ShroudedSciuridae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 18 November 2022, 19:57:20 »
Wait a second, does the patrilineal heritage change of the Edict of Severance also moot any potential issues with Alaric's Bloodname? Assuming there's actually Vlad Ward DNA in there to some extent.
"Assassinating" the Clan commander's goldfish is hardly the stuff of legend.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #65 on: 18 November 2022, 20:42:07 »
It only applied to Bloodhouses from the non-Invading Clans, allowing them to be reborn as “new” bloodhouses in the Inner Sphere.  So Ward wasn’t affected.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #66 on: 18 November 2022, 23:45:13 »
Kudos to both of you on your respective stories.  I like the deeper explorations into EI - the benefits and pitfalls.  (Thank you to TPTB for publishing the Black Marauder story collection, btw.)  Looking forward to that final story in the series.  One question though - Lydia Spaatz (nice nod to the WWII USAAF General), the Bloodname list on Sarna says that this one is exclusive to the Cloud Cobras post Reaving?  Am I reading this wrong or are we looking at a line that made it out beforehand?   

Lydia Sapptz's Bloodname name has nothing at all to do with me needing an aerospace phenotype Bloodname for her, and flipping open FM Warden Clans to check the Snow Ravens' list, but I always habitually confuse the Snow Ravens and Cloud Cobras. Absolutely nothing at all to do with that.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #67 on: 19 November 2022, 04:07:25 »
Wait a second, does the patrilineal heritage change of the Edict of Severance also moot any potential issues with Alaric's Bloodname? Assuming there's actually Vlad Ward DNA in there to some extent.

We know there is Ward DNA in him, because him having the DNA triggered a message when he arrived on Terra for the first time.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Known Glitch

• Warrant Officer
  • Why haven't we fixed this yet?
« Reply #68 on: 19 November 2022, 12:08:57 »
Lydia Spaatz's Bloodname name has nothing at all to do with me needing an aerospace phenotype Bloodname for her, and flipping open FM Warden Clans to check the Snow Ravens' list, but I always habitually confuse the Snow Ravens and Cloud Cobras. Absolutely nothing at all to do with that.

:thumbsup: Well played. 

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #69 on: 06 December 2022, 12:08:54 »
It only applied to Bloodhouses from the non-Invading Clans, allowing them to be reborn as “new” bloodhouses in the Inner Sphere.  So Ward wasn’t affected.

Not to derail this excessively, but where can I find this, and does it mean Scorpion bloodnames are fair game as well?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #70 on: 06 December 2022, 12:13:30 »
Not to derail this excessively, but where can I find this, and does it mean Scorpion bloodnames are fair game as well?

Shrapnel #3 - "The Great Reavings" article.

Basically, any Bloodname that you want to use can be assumed to be active in the Inner Sphere post-3100.  Of course, those from the Scorpion Empire and/or Kerensky Cluster may dispute the legitimacy of such Bloodnames, but that's a story for the future.  Per the Edict of Severance, the Inner Sphere Clans decreed that they don't care what those guys think.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #71 on: 06 December 2022, 12:42:20 »
The Scorpions would probably be happy to be in the conversation at all, especially since they have created brand new Bloodhouses over the last few decades.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #72 on: 06 December 2022, 17:10:57 »
The Scorpions would probably be happy to be in the conversation at all, especially since they have created brand new Bloodhouses over the last few decades.

I know one bloodname the Scorpions should have.......

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #73 on: 07 December 2022, 12:57:39 »
I know one bloodname the Scorpions should have.......

Craig

Schenker?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #74 on: 30 December 2022, 10:34:44 »
Schenker?

Er... no....

The one Scorpion who shaped their outlook more than any bloodnamed warrior, the one that set them onto the path of being Indiana Jones with military weapons..... Ethan Moreau ....

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #75 on: 30 December 2022, 11:08:33 »
It's a shame that the Scorpions don't have any of Ethan Moreau's genetic legacy to be able to start up a Bloodhouse for his lineage. With them not having to answer to the other Clans anymore and taking such steps as straight-up adding Hansa and Nueva Castilian lineages to their programs, it would've been a great time to properly establish a Moreau Bloodhouse.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #76 on: 30 December 2022, 15:13:17 »
It's a shame that the Scorpions don't have any of Ethan Moreau's genetic legacy to be able to start up a Bloodhouse for his lineage. With them not having to answer to the other Clans anymore and taking such steps as straight-up adding Hansa and Nueva Castilian lineages to their programs, it would've been a great time to properly establish a Moreau Bloodhouse.

You don't think the Scorpions wouldn't have stashed his legacy somewhere, just in case? Not to use it, but I'm betting that they do have it.....

Craig

My Blogs!

Scrollreader

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #77 on: 30 December 2022, 15:43:12 »
One of the 'sad/funny/people in the future are still people' things was always the CGS vying for the Moreau bloodname, even though it was the wrong Moreau.  They knew it wasn't the right Moreau, but they valued it anyway, despite that being bad history, and a total repudiation of the whole idea of Bloodheritage (since they didn't value it for the Warrior history of the *actual* Burrock warrior, Abra Moreau.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #78 on: 30 December 2022, 16:11:26 »
You don't think the Scorpions wouldn't have stashed his legacy somewhere, just in case? Not to use it, but I'm betting that they do have it.....

I mean, anything's possible.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #79 on: 17 January 2023, 20:13:09 »
I appreciated the Unit Spotlight on Kara's Scorchers. Was always one of my favorite clix pieces back in the day.
Clan Protectorate