Author Topic: PaperTech III: The Search for Cheap Counters  (Read 41035 times)

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Re: PaperTech III: The Search for Cheap Counters
« Reply #60 on: 07 May 2023, 20:54:46 »
Y'know, paper counter standees are a good way to fix the scale issue that you have with Minis that are roughly 1/250 scale on a map that is 1/900 scale.

I actually did this when I first got into playing BattleTech and had access to a printer/copier.  Took the Mech pictures in the 2nd ed book and photocopied them at a smaller scale.  Many old games of the time had the smaller clip bases, and it worked nicely.  Might do that again for fun. (I made my own map-scale kitbash minis since then, but there are times I need something for better proxies.)

Nothing like having properly 1/900 scale mechs on a map to show how the ranges aren't really that short and elevation changes aren't really as steep as they would appear when you forget the scale differences between modern mini and map.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #61 on: 07 May 2023, 22:51:28 »
TRO: Dark Age has been added. I'll be holding off any RecGuide additions until the compilations are released.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #62 on: 23 July 2023, 21:50:21 »
Recognition Guide Vol 1: Classics has been added

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #63 on: 24 July 2023, 21:33:21 »
Quick question:  What do you have available for infantry? 

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #64 on: 24 July 2023, 21:46:33 »
none

Frank Olson

• Corporal
« Reply #65 on: 10 January 2024, 16:20:36 »
none

There are infantry counters (half a hex size) in the new Mercenaries Kickstarter files.

I wanted to check if there are more vehicle counters on the internet and found these! The only problem is that they don't have a clear front of the vehicle. Maybe I'll just somehow paste these over the new counters.

They have some tanks but no Condor which I need for the RONIN! campaign.

P_R_S

• Recruit
« Reply #66 on: 11 January 2024, 14:29:24 »
There are infantry counters (half a hex size) in the new Mercenaries Kickstarter files.

Uh? where? I didn't see them...

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 15 January 2024, 00:14:14 »
Uh? where? I didn't see them...

It's in the file called "Counters.pdf" as part of the Open Beta of the Battlefield Support program.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

P_R_S

• Recruit
« Reply #68 on: 15 January 2024, 17:55:01 »
It's in the file called "Counters.pdf" as part of the Open Beta of the Battlefield Support program.
Wonderful, thank you!!

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 20 January 2024, 16:28:19 »
When preparing for a Star-Wars RL: Interceptor-game, I found Star-Wars stickers of X-Wings, Tie-Fighters, etc. and put them on counters at the 99-Cents Only store; then, I found actual Star-Wars toys the size of minis that worked even better!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #70 on: 21 January 2024, 06:12:58 »
When preparing for a Star-Wars RL: Interceptor-game, I found Star-Wars stickers of X-Wings, Tie-Fighters, etc. and put them on counters at the 99-Cents Only store; then, I found actual Star-Wars toys the size of minis that worked even better!

Did that with my Cobra G.I. Joe stickers, attached them to Imperial TIEs and such.

Nothing funnier than going to an Armada Game with your SSD sportin' Cobra Livery...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #71 on: 21 January 2024, 16:47:58 »
Did that with my Cobra G.I. Joe stickers, attached them to Imperial TIEs and such.

Nothing funnier than going to an Armada Game with your SSD sportin' Cobra Livery...

TT

I found Armada to be very expensive.

Also, we did use GI-Joes once to play Battletroops; however, with another friend, that actually liked, GI-Joe, we played using Cyberpunk 2020's Friday Night Fire-Fight rules; that game, was bloody and he wasn't used to GI-Joe characters, um, dying, messily.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 21 January 2024, 20:11:56 »
It is, but the shock value is awesome, especially when you bring in an SSD, several Squadrons of Tie Interceptors, Line and Bombers. Then deploy a ground base using Star Wars Tactics with 3d terrain.

We had a Civil War battle that was like, holy crap, Orbitary Strikes, Ground, Aero and Space battles as one fleet tries to eliminate each other while not dying. Trading shots and evading to stay alive in one room, we had a hex-based floor tarp with several furniture placed as Planetary orbits... Evil tennis balls as asteroids.

When we got over a Planet hex, and wanted to Support our troops, we would pause and go to another larger room to deal with that. Did 1 Space and 3 Ground per Turn. Awesome combo.

But yeah, my Cobra SSD was called The Fang and I ran two AT-TEs, quad AT-STs several Squads of Stormtrooper "Vipers" and Droid "BAAT"s. Yeah just a "reskin" for them.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #73 on: 21 January 2024, 20:17:45 »
Seems like this conversation belongs somewhere that’s not this thread

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 21 January 2024, 20:28:18 »
Correct.

Overall, it was a good game.

But I do wish there were more Hex Packs made then what we have, the Promo1.

Like more, but in an official Download PDF.

I am not saying free, I'd buy it, go something like 3 files of random terrain tile sizes for like a $1.50 each and do several PDFs in a Series of Hex Packs.

As it is, I color photocopy my maps and cut them out while lamenting them before gluing unto a dark stained wooden hex, slightly larger than the OG. makes things easier to read, and I can upgrade the hexes.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #75 on: 21 January 2024, 21:33:27 »
Also, the dollar-stores have Christmas decorations, like, miniature-trees for Holiday-sets which you can use for your games!!!

And yes, anything that's, "Cobra", is officially used by the Galactic-Empire.

Hydrofoil Goat

• Corporal
« Reply #76 on: 22 January 2024, 05:33:11 »

Where are these files? I can't see them in the google drive with the books etc. Is it limited to certain backer tiers?

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 22 January 2024, 09:00:51 »
Where are these files? I can't see them in the google drive with the books etc. Is it limited to certain backer tiers?

The link to the Dropbox is in Mercenaries Kickstarter Update 28.  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cgl/battletech-mercenaries/posts/3783575?ref=project_update_registered_users_tout_2
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Hydrofoil Goat

• Corporal
« Reply #78 on: 23 January 2024, 05:43:04 »