Author Topic: (Answered) Reengineered Lasers (REL) Damage Value Calculation  (Read 2572 times)

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
In-line with some of the other special abilities, I'm a little unsure what unit gets this. ASC pg. 130 simply states:

To receive this special ability, a unit must be able to deliver a combined damage value of 1 point or more at Medium range with just its re-engineered laser weapons

That makes me think it's just a straight-up add all forward or turret mounted REL damage values, no heat modification, no rounding. If that value is >= 1, it gets the REL. But in trying to determine if that logic made sense, I found the following two units:

Spider SDR-10K
This has one Large Re-engineered Laser with a medium range damage value of 0.945, and receives the REL ability. This leads me to believe it is after rounding.

Templar III TLR2-OC
This has one Large Re-engineered Laser with a medium range damage value of 0.945 (even if you did heat-modification it would still be 0.847), and does not recieve the REL ability. This leads me to believe it is before rounding.

So, figured I'd just ask (don't worry, I'm almost done with Special Abilities now). Does the REL ability take into consideration heat-modification and/or rounding; either before or after final damage values?
« Last Edit: 08 October 2019, 13:15:15 by nckestrel »

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Reengineered Lasers (REL) Damage Value Calculation
« Reply #1 on: 05 October 2019, 20:59:58 »
all qualifications for 1 point at medium at after heat modification and rounding.

The part that gets most people is that heat modification has its own rounding, up to the next tenth. Final damage has a second rounding to a whole number. (round up for non-special damage, round normal for special damage).
0.945 gets rounded after heat modification to .95.  At the final damage step that then rounds normal to 1.0.

0.847 after heat modification is 0.85, which rounds normal to 0.9.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
« Reply #2 on: 05 October 2019, 21:57:41 »
all qualifications for 1 point at medium at after heat modification and rounding.

The part that gets most people is that heat modification has its own rounding, up to the next tenth. Final damage has a second rounding to a whole number. (round up for non-special damage, round normal for special damage).
0.945 gets rounded after heat modification to .95.  At the final damage step that then rounds normal to 1.0.

0.847 after heat modification is 0.85, which rounds normal to 0.9.

Roger that. It makes sense now and I think I'm good.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 05 October 2019, 22:40:34 »
awesome, I'm still afraid to jump in to the already required errata wait list. :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

mordel

• Artificiosus Caupo
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Master Sergeant
    • Mordel.Net
« Reply #4 on: 06 October 2019, 13:29:12 »
awesome, I'm still afraid to jump in to the already required errata wait list. :).

There be sharks in them there waters!!  ;D