Author Topic: The Society's ToyBox  (Read 19276 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
The Society's ToyBox
« on: 27 September 2017, 13:25:42 »

This thread is meant as a discussion and collection thread for custom Society tech.

My personal perspective that I will use is a scenario where most of the Society managed to make an orderly retreat to the Inner Sphere and gradually spread their influence in a large number of factions (RA, RotS, CSF, etc). Here they also started developing new units and equipment for the case that they need to intervene again. There are lot of cells, some deeply embedded in various factions and others part of the more industrial independent Inner Circle.

Feel free to post your custom Society tech, be it stuff you feel that was missing from WoR, or hypothetical Dark Age innovations.

Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: The Society's ToyBox
« Reply #1 on: 27 September 2017, 13:29:17 »

BA Fusillade (OS)
The original Fusillade missile launcher was deemed to be a failure, the main problem was the low number of total missiles it could launch for its tonnage. Further research into solving this and other issues was delayed by other priorities and the deaths of the original research team.
After nearly half a century the concept was revisited for a Battle Armor weapon. The end result was an one-shot six-tube ATM launcher. The idea was that the increased range or increased salvo damage would help make the smaller Society BA formations more effective and survivable. The BA Fusillade is able to use all ATM and Improved ATM ammunition. But it sacrifices the advanced integrated guidance system, for a standard guidance system.
Weight: 180 kg
Slots: 2
BV: 11
Cost: 100.000

Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 27 September 2017, 13:37:31 »

LRM/SRM Torpedo Ammo
During the scientist rebellion the Society forces had multiple successful underwater engagements. However the requirement to mount torpedo launchers proved to be a severe downside in cases where the Society forces were forced to leave the water. To solve this, they invented the LRM-T and SRM-T Missiles. Based upon multi-purpose missiles, these torpedoes can be launched underwater from a LRM or SRM missile launcher and fully function like torpedoes. This removes the logistical requirement to carry separate torpedo launchers, while reducing the time needed to adapt a 'Mech for underwater combat.

Feral Suicide Implant
With many Society agents in various factions, it became necessary for the Society to provide an efficient means for agents to prevent being captured. The solution is an covert implant that can produce a fatal cocktail of combat drugs. The drugs will force their bodies into extreme physical performance, allow them to ignore fatigue and injury, but killing them within ten minutes. After the user dies, the by-products will create a strong corrosive enzymes, which will destroy the body and any item carried.
Duration: 1D6 min
Notes: Ignore Fatigue; Ignore Injury; modifiers; STR +4; BOD +1; WIL +5; RFL +4; INT –7*; CHA –6*
*To a minimum of 1.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2017, 08:59:48 »

[Society Modularity Advancements]
One of the longest running Society projects had been about improving and expanding the scope of omni-technology. After a leap in Endo-Steel production quality and design, they were able to integrate connectors and other features directly into the structure. This allowed for Endo-Steel weight savings and omni-technology to be applied to a wider range of unit types.

Improved BA Chassis
In recent years the Society made improvements to the old Clan Battle Armor chassis. It was decided to sacrifice any possible weight savings to integrate mounts directly into the chassis and to upgrade the standard Harjel system to a scaled down Harjel II repair system.
With exception to turrets, BA with an improved chassis do not require additional mounts for weapons, equipment, manipulators or auxiliary motive systems (Jump Jets, UMUs, VTOL). If the BA suffers armor damage, it will recover 2 points of armor protection during the following End Phase. The number of armor points restored can never exceed the undamaged armor value of the suit.

ProtoMech Endo-Steel (PES)
The Society's advancements with Endo-Steel and modular connectors have allowed for ProtoMechs to be constructed with OmniTechnology, while reducing the structure weight by half.
When constructed as an Omni-Proto, the unit can modular mount omni-pods and auxiliary motive systems, such as Jump Jets. This does came at the expense of lower space limits in the torso (-1).
Cost: 2,000 x Unit Tonnage
Tech Rating: F

Vehicular Endo-Steel (VES)
The development of Vehicular Endo-Steel was highly welcomed by Society's vehicle forces. It provides Endo-Steel weight saving, at the cost of one equipment slot, both for Combat Vehicles and Super-Heavy Combat Vehicles.
Cost: 100,000 x Structure Tonnage
Tech Rating: F

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2017, 17:01:42 »
What about old SLDF era Genetics?

Something that all clans should have, like the Infantry and Space mods... they should be around.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2017, 18:33:42 »
What about old SLDF era Genetics?

Something that all clans should have, like the Infantry and Space mods... they should be around.

TT
Well, I have been thinking about them using Perfected Mutagenic Virotherapy to internally replace traditional phenotypes, but I am not sure how to tune the RPG parts.
This would also allow the Society to make a higher percentage of their sibkos and personnel combat ready. Current ideas:

Interface MV: Immunity to the negative effects from cybernetics interfaces. The ability to naturally pilot quads (mech, proto & BA).
Piloting MV: Improved reflexes, dexterity, hostile environments mods. Good for aerospace pilots and special forces.
Infantry MV: Basic Elemental package.
Berserker MV: Used on irredeemable criminals to turn them into the biological equivalent of an obedient Tau Zombie.

A nice RPG campaign hook would be for a player character to obtain a injection, like from a misplaced shipment or from a raid on a Clan facility.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2017, 02:17:25 »
What about breaking the barrier on LAMs and weight saving equipment?  QuadVees can use XL engines and endo.

An melee-based taser with significantly higher odds of causing a shutdown, but it can only be used after successfully grappling the target mech.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2017, 11:04:35 »
What about breaking the barrier on LAMs and weight saving equipment?  QuadVees can use XL engines and endo.
The ideas that come to mind is either a lateral XL engine (putting all the extra crits into the CT, but this would also require a compact gyro) and/or some kind of improved bi-modal transformation (not having one mode, for reducing the conversion equipment weight down to 5%).

An melee-based taser with significantly higher odds of causing a shutdown, but it can only be used after successfully grappling the target mech.
I would say derive it from the Electric Discharge Armor, make a 'Mech-scale version. Have the shutdown rolls bonuses for the amount of turns between discharges and if the melee attack hits internal structure.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 08 November 2017, 19:12:00 »
I'd like to see something like BA Fire armor, but for protomechs. Same with BA Stealth armor.

For the fire resistant armor, could cost something like 60 kg per point of armor (which matches the relative increase in mass per point of armor in BA), maybe take up a torso slot.

Stealth armor could weigh 70 kg/point, while taking up one (maybe two) torso slots. This matches the relative mass of Stealth (Improved) BA armor versus standard armor.

That should open up some interesting possibilities.

That Berserk MV reminds me of another "Berserker".

And, of course, the pilot within.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 09 November 2017, 09:45:15 »
The ideas that come to mind is either a lateral XL engine (putting all the extra crits into the CT, but this would also require a compact gyro) and/or some kind of improved bi-modal transformation (not having one mode, for reducing the conversion equipment weight down to 5%).
I swear I saw something in an older rule set saying LAMs could use TSM because all the crits would fit in one torso location.  By that logic, Clan ES and FF should be permissible.  So Composite, Endo-Composite and Light Ferro should work too.  Hardened and Reflective armor would also both fit but hardened doesn't exactly save weight, and Reflective would make crash rolls....
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 09 November 2017, 18:55:39 »
I'd like to see something like BA Fire armor, but for protomechs. Same with BA Stealth armor.

For the fire resistant armor, could cost something like 60 kg per point of armor (which matches the relative increase in mass per point of armor in BA), maybe take up a torso slot.

Stealth armor could weigh 70 kg/point, while taking up one (maybe two) torso slots. This matches the relative mass of Stealth (Improved) BA armor versus standard armor.

That should open up some interesting possibilities.
Definitely interesting options, I would love a Minotaur with fire-resistant armor.
But what about using arms slots? This would leave the torso slots for structure and engine options.

I swear I saw something in an older rule set saying LAMs could use TSM because all the crits would fit in one torso location.  By that logic, Clan ES and FF should be permissible.  So Composite, Endo-Composite and Light Ferro should work too.  Hardened and Reflective armor would also both fit but hardened doesn't exactly save weight, and Reflective would make crash rolls....
Yes, the older rules did allow Endo and Ferro, but current rules disallow them because we 'can' put them in multiple locations.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2017, 00:29:40 »
LRM/SRM Torpedo Ammo
During the scientist rebellion the Society forces had multiple successful underwater engagements. However the requirement to mount torpedo launchers proved to be a severe downside in cases where the Society forces were forced to leave the water. To solve this, they invented the LRM-T and SRM-T Missiles. Based upon multi-purpose missiles, these torpedoes can be launched underwater from a LRM or SRM missile launcher and fully function like torpedoes. This removes the logistical requirement to carry separate torpedo launchers, while reducing the time needed to adapt a 'Mech for underwater combat.
What about something more like MMLs?

A launcher that can use either LRT or LRM and another that can use either SRT or SRM ammo, but with odd tube sizes.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 10 November 2017, 12:14:39 »
What about something more like MMLs?

A launcher that can use either LRT or LRM and another that can use either SRT or SRM ammo, but with odd tube sizes.
Why not both?: MTL
Clan Missile/Torpedo Launcher?

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2017, 16:23:08 »
More of a balance concern; wouldn't want it to completely replace LRMs.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2017, 16:29:50 »
More of a balance concern; wouldn't want it to completely replace LRMs.
I would imagine those launchers to be heavier and bigger then Clan LRMs and not reaching the 20 tube limit.
Example: MTL-5
1.5 tons ?
2 crits ?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #15 on: 10 November 2017, 20:09:33 »
I'd just re-write the fluff on Multi-Purpose Missiles to allow any unit to use them other than the BA launchers. Allowing even Infantry to use them.

TM: 261 and 262. ( Basic is 1/2 amount per ton )

Problem solved.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 11 November 2017, 15:51:50 »
How about Thunderbolt munitions that deliver SRTs?  Enemy Mechs sneaking up from underwater?  Just launch this missile to the hex you think they are in, and the SRTs are dropped off to kill.

Hedgehog launcher - uses the MRM launcher to fire a series of explosives into a hex, that detonate on contact with a solid surface.  Roll 1/2 the tube rating for the MRM launcher if the firing unit has LOS or a spotter with LOS to the target, otherwise roll 1/4 the tube rating (FRD).  Each explosive does 1 pt of damage and is inflicted as though the attack came from above (so Punch table for Mechs).

Shotgun laser: trading off the Pulse laser's targeting bonus in exchange for a boost in damage.

Advanced Smoke launchers: launching a more effective smoke cloud to blind enemy Mechs, this exploits that Clan Mechwarriors prefer to engage 1:1 duels, and allows the Society Mechs/vehs to get into close range without suffering massive damage from closing.  On the turn fired it doubles smoke penalties for 1 hex at 1 level of height, but dissipates into normal smoke after 1 turn.  Requires 2 smoke launchers on firing unit if a Mech, so the enemy Mechwarrior doesn't see them above or below the cloud.  Vehicles only need 1, as they are only 1 level tall.  (Basically the unit advances and drops the smoke in front of itself as it closes, hoping the Clan Mechwarrior doesn't  dodge at the last moment.)

Thermal Insulating Goop: launching a thick insulating paste at the target, the objective is to jam up enemy heat sinks to reduce enemy firepower.  Heat sinks in the affected body part function at 1/2 effectiveness (FRU) until the goop is cleared back at base, or washed off by immersing the affected component in water.  Multi-body part engines treat as 1/4 the heat sink capacity per side torso, and half the heat sink capacity in the center torso.  Clan Mechwarriors would frequently refit a single Gauss Rifle onto their Mechs just in case.
« Last Edit: 06 January 2018, 22:24:03 by idea weenie »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #17 on: 22 November 2017, 16:56:52 »
Advanced Smoke launchers: launching a more effective smoke cloud to blind enemy Mechs, this exploits that Clan Mechwarriors prefer to engage 1:1 duels, and allows the Society Mechs/vehs to get into close range without suffering massive damage from closing.  On the turn fired it doubles smoke penalties for 1 hex at 1 level of height, but dissipates into normal smoke after 1 turn.  Requires 2 smoke launchers on firing unit if a Mech, so the enemy Mechwarrior doesn't see them above or below the cloud.  Vehicles only need 1, as they are only 1 level tall.  (Basically the unit advances and drops the smoke in front of itself as it closes, hoping the Clan Mechwarrior doesn't  dodge at the last moment.)

Thermal Insulating Goop: launching a thick insulating paste at the target, the objective is to jam up enemy heat sinks to reduce enemy firepower.  Heat sinks in the affected body part function at 1/2 effectiveness (FRU) until the goop is cleared back at base, or washed off by immersing the affected component in water.  Multi-body part engines treat as 1/4 the heat sink capacity per side torso, and half the heat sink capacity in the center torso.  Clan Mchwarriors would frequently refit a single Gauss Rifle onto their Mechs just in case.
What about combining these two?: Insulating Smoke
Blocks LOS like smoke, but it partly covers up the surfaces of DHS of any units going through those smoke hexes (1/2 effectiveness). It has no effect on single heatsinks and can be washed off with any liquid during combat.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 22 November 2017, 17:07:00 »

Nova Stealth Suite
A stealth system that is as effective as the combination of Null Signature System & Chameleon Light Polarization Shield, from which it has been derived.
It is consists out of modular components (heat baffles, mimetic projectors and other components) and has to be linked to an mounted Nova CEWS.
The Nova Stealth Suite can be mounted on 'Mechs, Vehicles and Aerospace fighters. It takes up 6 crits/slots and requires additional weight.

Based upon WOR p.214. Concerning CLPS and Null-Sig:
"Improved versions using modern electronics seemed plausible, but unfeasible in the short term."

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #19 on: 22 November 2017, 17:58:35 »
I have a LAM engine and a LAM Gyro in my AU

Essentially what you came up with all the crits for engine in CT with the Gyro split between left and right torsos

On this thread
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=32328.0

As for additional advances maybe Perfected EI
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 23 November 2017, 13:31:24 »
What about combining these two?: Insulating Smoke
Blocks LOS like smoke, but it partly covers up the surfaces of DHS of any units going through those smoke hexes (1/2 effectiveness). It has no effect on single heatsinks and can be washed off with any liquid during combat.

I was thinking the smoke would be needing to cover the entire hex, so not enough would be in one location to affect an enemy Mech.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 28 November 2017, 01:20:12 »
Paul explained in the Osteon's MoTW article that the Scientists  running the Society have a fairly low opinion mech warriors.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=20031.msg460547#msg460547

If you don't think you can trust your warriors to make smart decisions, do you really trust them to maneuver that multi-million C-Bill mech over harsh ground?

So what if they riff on AES a bit?  Specifically the leg stuff.  Sure, leg mounted AES grants a -2 on PSR, but I was reading through ATOW:C and saw the Terrain Master SPA.  What about a AES that ties in with the sensors and gyro, such that it allows a mech to move through adverse terrain with reduced penalties?  Say Heavy woods are treated as Light for movement.  Maybe light woods and rough hexes get a 1/2 MP penalty rounded up?  So 2 hexes of rough terrain only costs 3 MP, rather than 4.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
  • Mr. Flibble is Very Cross
« Reply #22 on: 30 November 2017, 09:19:06 »
How about an Arrow V missile system?  Smaller launcher-bigger, smarter, multi-purpose missile that can be used for both AA defense and artillery attack.  The launcher is slightly smaller, only 10 tons, but the missiles themselves are each full-ton monsters, limiting practical use to heavy or superheavy vehicles and fixed emplacements.  But it can hit *anything* in the low-altitude map, has the same 30 mapsheet range as the Long Tom, and has a massively simplified logistics chain because one missile does it all except sub-munition delivery and smoke laying.  Each missile has it's own built in ECCM system as well, so standard ECM density won't cut it, you need to be either the Society or Comstar to have a single unit jam these bad boys.

For extra fun, enable 'Warbook Homing' where the missile flies over the battlefield and scans for designated designs-load up to five designs to hunt and just lob them in the direction of the foe.  Just make sure the enemy force and your force don't have any overlap, or it will lock onto the first 'legal' design it sees that matches its target profile.  Otherwise, it's just your standard inertial homing/TAG guided/terrain following/pop up-look down options, but with bigger sensors and more space for processors, it's probably a bit more accurate about that than a standard LRM or Arrow-IV.
*Insert support for fashionable faction of the week here*

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 30 November 2017, 09:32:06 »
If you're going that way, give it a few modes - TAG-based homing, dumbfire, heat-seeking, or drone mode(where it'd work like a drone mech, and a remote pilot would make the attack roll). Maybe even something Wild Weasel-y, where it'll home after ECM systems. Let the shooter choose between them at launch time.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 30 November 2017, 12:32:54 »
If you're going that way, give it a few modes - TAG-based homing, dumbfire, heat-seeking, or drone mode(where it'd work like a drone mech, and a remote pilot would make the attack roll). Maybe even something Wild Weasel-y, where it'll home after ECM systems. Let the shooter choose between them at launch time.

I think we should avoid feature creep here-if we have drone-mode, home-on-laser, and Home-on-jam, do we even need 'dumbfire'?  So right now we're looking at:
  • Home On TAG: The standard targeting option for all artillery, we have to include it.
  • AA Mode: If this is a dual purpose missile, then this is our second option-clear the skies.
  • Home On Jam: You thought Guardian could protect you?  Fool-I can find the center of a circle and dive upon it-simple geometry will suffice.
  • Drone-Guidance:  Once enemy jamming is suppressed, you can use this mode to guide a missile direct to it's target-but with terribad society pilots, maybe let a scientist fly the damn missile.  Launcher cannot launch again until missile hits it's target.
  • Warbook Homing:  I know what(maximum of five designs) you are driving, and so does my missile.  Gets bonuses for programming specific variants rather than just 'Catapult' or 'Marauder'.(no cheating by looking at your opponents sheets!)  Draw a line across the sheets to represent the flight course of the missile-arm it after one sheet, and then note every mech or vehicle within 20 hexes of the line.  The first one that matches one of the selected designs gets attacked by the missile.
  • Heat-seeker:  Arrive at a map sheet and orbit just long enough to find the hotest mech or Vehicle (tally up all fired weapons theoretical heat for vehicles) and attack it.
     WARNING: likely to cause blue-on-blue if you haven't been careful to suppress jamming first.
  • Dumbfire:  Pick a hex, and due to advanced inertial guidance, reduced chance of scatter.

That's seven modes-which ones should we cut down?

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 30 November 2017, 14:14:15 »
Dumbfire can be thought of as a null warbook - e.g., "I'm going to fire this at hex 0101, homing in on a McKenna". So it doesn't need to be an explicit mode per se. And AA work could easily be done with some of the other homing mechanisms - just say that your warbook can add fighters to the list as easily as Mechs, and heat/Wild Weasel/drone translate naturally as well.

Vehrec

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 30 November 2017, 21:25:48 »
Dumbfire can be thought of as a null warbook - e.g., "I'm going to fire this at hex 0101, homing in on a McKenna". So it doesn't need to be an explicit mode per se. And AA work could easily be done with some of the other homing mechanisms - just say that your warbook can add fighters to the list as easily as Mechs, and heat/Wild Weasel/drone translate naturally as well.

AA missiles have very specific flak attack rules, so we can't just use those other modes to represent them.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 13 January 2018, 19:18:38 »
There's one simple bio hack the Society could use that will improve their performance.

Surgically implanted cooling loops. I have to figure that part of the targeting mods as mechs start to overheat come from the pilot's physical distress, as much as the electronics glitching out.

Wrap a some tubing around the Aorta, with ports in the skin.  Plug those tubes into the same port that would be used for the cooling vest.  Be sure to use that non-toxic coolant, cause you know, leaks. This would modulate a person's core temperature very efficiently. If the pilot's core temp stays low, they won't be sweating and dehydrating. They won't be as distracted by the discomfort of cockpit heat.  Consciousness rolls will be pushed a lot higher on the scale.   

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 14 January 2018, 13:39:21 »
There's one simple bio hack the Society could use that will improve their performance.

Surgically implanted cooling loops. I have to figure that part of the targeting mods as mechs start to overheat come from the pilot's physical distress, as much as the electronics glitching out.

Wrap a some tubing around the Aorta, with ports in the skin.  Plug those tubes into the same port that would be used for the cooling vest.  Be sure to use that non-toxic coolant, cause you know, leaks. This would modulate a person's core temperature very efficiently. If the pilot's core temp stays low, they won't be sweating and dehydrating. They won't be as distracted by the discomfort of cockpit heat.  Consciousness rolls will be pushed a lot higher on the scale. 

Fancy surgery, and makes the person reliant on the Society scientists to stay healthy?  Sounds about right.

Or a Worker would suggest they go with a cheaper option from Cray:
Essentially an insulated suit and a series of water loops under the suit (i.e. what we can make today).  The water loops attach to a backpack that has a kilo or more of ice in it.  Assuming a person puts out 100W of heat, and we know each kilo of ice needs 334 kiloJoules to melt, that means it will take ~55 minutes for a person to melt 1 kilo of ice using just their body heat.

(I am assuming a person only puts out 100W, since all they are doing is thinking and reacting/twitching, not lifting, carrying, running, or similar energetic motions.)

Of course, the system will be inefficient (some cooling might escape through the links and absorb ambient heat from the Mech), but even if it is only 10% efficient, that is effectively 5 minutes where the Mechwarrior should not have to worry about passing out due to excess heat.  To get the ice initially, it would either be chilled using the Mech's heat sinks (requiring a bit of work in the cockpit plus making sure to isolate the cooling loop when things get warm) or some Worker grabs a pair of ice tongs and the block of ice is loaded into the backpack at the base before the Mechwarrior is sent out (even lower-tech solution).  The Mechwarrior could even accept the higher cockpit temperatures while in non-combat status, but arming weapons would switch the coolant suit to only draw from the ice pack instead of the Mech's coolant systems.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 14 January 2018, 18:04:58 »
Fancy surgery, and makes the person reliant on the Society scientists to stay healthy?  Sounds about right.
It actually not all that fancy and doesn't require much upkeep.  Broviac/Hickman catheters have been a thing since the 70's. The paperwork for implanting one takes longer than the procedure itself.  Bio-occlusive dressings like the Tegaderm in the wiki picture aren't even necessary after a few weeks. There is a fibrous cuff on the tube, just inside the skin.  The skin grows into that fiber and makes for a very strong, and secure bond.
The only "upkeep" is to flush the line with about 3 cc's of saline and another 2-3 cc's of heparine, every few days to prevent a blood clot from plugging up the end.  That's assuming that you don't something spiffy like a self sealing valve that was invented in the '80's.

In our case, risk of infection is even lower because the catheter isn't going into the circulatory system.

But because game balance, the entry site should be susceptible to nasty infections, the rubber should decompose into a toxin that causes pathological fear of slow lorises, and there is always a risk that the thermo-regulation unit malfunctions and it cools you right into hypothermia!
Or a Worker would suggest they go with a cheaper option from Cray:
Essentially an insulated suit and a series of water loops under the suit (i.e. what we can make today).  The water loops attach to a backpack that has a kilo or more of ice in it.  Assuming a person puts out 100W of heat, and we know each kilo of ice needs 334 kiloJoules to melt, that means it will take ~55 minutes for a person to melt 1 kilo of ice using just their body heat.

(I am assuming a person only puts out 100W, since all they are doing is thinking and reacting/twitching, not lifting, carrying, running, or similar energetic motions.)

Of course, the system will be inefficient (some cooling might escape through the links and absorb ambient heat from the Mech), but even if it is only 10% efficient, that is effectively 5 minutes where the Mechwarrior should not have to worry about passing out due to excess heat.  To get the ice initially, it would either be chilled using the Mech's heat sinks (requiring a bit of work in the cockpit plus making sure to isolate the cooling loop when things get warm) or some Worker grabs a pair of ice tongs and the block of ice is loaded into the backpack at the base before the Mechwarrior is sent out (even lower-tech solution).  The Mechwarrior could even accept the higher cockpit temperatures while in non-combat status, but arming weapons would switch the coolant suit to only draw from the ice pack instead of the Mech's coolant systems.
That is a far safer and smarter way to go about the situation, but less fun, crazy '80's cyberpunk.

Register