Author Topic: No swearing!  (Read 93613 times)

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
Re: No swearing!
« Reply #30 on: 03 February 2011, 15:02:49 »
In Kolker's name, damn you to Zarth's lowest hell?

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 03 February 2011, 21:12:18 »

I believe you mean "dang you to heck!"

btw is the filter going to be fixed so i can thumb back that hammer and ****** my gun once in a while?

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 03 February 2011, 21:13:09 »

btw is the filter going to be fixed so i can thumb back that hammer and ****** my gun once in a while?

I guess not...

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #33 on: 03 February 2011, 21:30:28 »
Nor will you be able to graduate summa ****** laude.

Just think of this place as a public place - a shopping mall, rather than your own home. Certain standards of decency apply in public places.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 03 February 2011, 23:46:32 »

Just think of this place as a public place - a shopping mall, rather than your own home. Certain standards of decency apply in public places.

W.

If exotic dancers shopped at this shopping mall, would it become a strip mall?
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 03 February 2011, 23:50:48 »
Only in Canopus.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 04 February 2011, 01:54:07 »
Not all exotic dancers in Gdansk are ...
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

BlazingSky

• Lieutenant
  • Ah yes, the rabble and their "Medium Mechs"
« Reply #37 on: 04 February 2011, 01:57:22 »

W.

My local shopping mall has more swearing than my own home, and with better concepts (You can really put that there? Wow.), so can I be exempt from this? :D
I don't post to play nice with everyone. I post to posit my ideas. If this offends you, there's an ignore function.
I knew this day would come! The day of the stapler men has arrived!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 04 February 2011, 11:01:35 »
Not all exotic dancers in Gdansk are ...

Hehehe, good one.

Fallguy

• Corporal
  • The FWL: Who says Civil War can't be fun?
« Reply #39 on: 06 February 2011, 09:23:56 »

Point taken, but seriously WT? Have you been to a mall in the last decade? Your local mall nowadays is about as clean-cut as your average cathouse when the fleet is in. Decency hasn't been seen in public for years for fear of getting mugged. :P

On the subject at hand, I don't understand how you could "accidentally" post a swear word. It's not like speaking, where your word choices are made on the fly and out in the public air before you can stop yourself. You have to actually spell the word out on the keyboard and then press the Post button before anyone can see what you said.

YMMV I guess.
--
"Luke, you're goint to find that many of the truthes we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Lord Cameron

• Patron Saint of GenCon Goodies
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: 13 February 2011, 16:15:55 »

may your hovercraft be infested with eels!  :o
Agent #395, West Coast CDT Lead

Doug Glendower

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Captain
  • I really am bad at letting go.
« Reply #41 on: 14 February 2011, 17:14:39 »
Or an old BT fav: "What is the sound of one egg hatching?" :D

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #42 on: 14 February 2011, 17:26:02 »
Or an old BT fav: "What is the sound of one egg hatching?" :D
Oooh la, oooh la la, ga ga. Or at least at the Grammy's.  8)

Mattlov

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Fnord.
« Reply #43 on: 14 February 2011, 17:42:56 »
I agree with Paul.  But then, I really have no care for other people's feelings on inane issues (like swearing), either.

They are just words.  They can only cause harm if you allow them to.  Unless the words are "Louisville Slugger," but that is a different scenario.
"The rules technically allow all sorts of bad ideas." -Moonsword

Brainburn

• Sergeant
  • You just made the list.
« Reply #44 on: 23 February 2011, 10:37:12 »
I like the grandmother rule.
If you wouldnt say it around her..dont.

but then again, I am easily offended and have exceptionally thin skin......    not

btp2k2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: 04 March 2011, 11:54:19 »
Another thing to bear in mind is kids might be here as well. There might be a dad out there getting his 10 year old son into playing Battletech and showing him all the new and cool minis that Spaceman Spiff did, or reading the updated rules for movement in low g atmosphere with little Johnny sitting on his knee.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 04 March 2011, 12:00:08 »
"Daddy, why does the Stalker look like my...."
"Enough of this son, let's go play some baseball!"

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 05 March 2011, 01:59:15 »
Oh Battletechs own phallic symbol. ::)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #48 on: 06 March 2011, 01:32:45 »

You know..why did they not put the Stalker in the Intro Boxed set, anyway?
I mean, it is supposedly the most common assault mech, right?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Your Name Is

• Warrant Officer
  • Making myself unpopular since I re-registered.
    • My blog of randomness.
« Reply #49 on: 08 March 2011, 07:52:05 »
Question: My blog I write stories in has occasional foul language, but when you go there, tehre is a warning that you have to acknowledge before entry. "This may contain adult material." Can I post links to that, and/or put it in my sig?
I've heard that US freight trains move 1 ton of cargo 435 miles on 1 gallon of gas. I think this means we should all become hobos.

"I am, therefore I'll think." -Ayn Rand

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #50 on: 10 March 2011, 21:51:11 »
I agree with the first reply in this thread, but since this is a Company's website, not a personal one, I understand why the rule exists.  From a military background, its very hard for me, but hey, I manage.

Can we have a list of unacceptable words published here just so we don't use one by accident? ;)
Captain is hilariously easy to set off, like a walking barrel of gunpowder within a self contained field of destructium and a great big button on his forehead that says "Push me for fireworks".

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #51 on: 10 March 2011, 23:13:12 »
I agree with the first reply in this thread, but since this is a Company's website, not a personal one, I understand why the rule exists.  From a military background, its very hard for me, but hey, I manage.

Can we have a list of unacceptable words published here just so we don't use one by accident? ;)

I'll say no and add the caveat that if the word sounds perfectly normal coming from the mouth of the guy in my avatar, you ain't saying it.

(Sorry for the sarcasm.  :-[)
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 11 March 2011, 00:44:48 »

Use this as an interim solution:

****   ****   ****   ****   ****   ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****
****   ****   ****   ****   ****   ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****    ****

And if you speak US Army Creole, avoid the one verb/adjective ;)

W.

captnmartin

• Sergeant
  • Steiner, Nothing Finer
« Reply #53 on: 11 March 2011, 11:27:39 »
****!
Captain is hilariously easy to set off, like a walking barrel of gunpowder within a self contained field of destructium and a great big button on his forehead that says "Push me for fireworks".

noobk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 23 March 2011, 20:26:50 »
Swearing for the win!  I promote vulgarity and violence where allowed!  ;D In a tasteful manner of course!

I play a fictional tabletop board game based around violent destruction of large stompy robots. And I would be willing to bet the pilots of said robots usually don't have nice words to say before it gets blown up! Heck I bet the pilot who did the blowing up was not using very nice words during the act!

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #55 on: 23 March 2011, 20:30:36 »
Question: My blog I write stories in has occasional foul language, but when you go there, tehre is a warning that you have to acknowledge before entry. "This may contain adult material." Can I post links to that, and/or put it in my sig?
I posted a link to a youtube video of a song with 1 word in the whole song that was considered swearing and was given a warning.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #56 on: 23 March 2011, 23:11:07 »
Swearing for the win!  I promote vulgarity and violence where allowed!  ;D In a tasteful manner of course!

I play a fictional tabletop board game based around violent destruction of large stompy robots. And I would be willing to bet the pilots of said robots usually don't have nice words to say before it gets blown up! Heck I bet the pilot who did the blowing up was not using very nice words during the act!
I think i play the same tabletop game ;D

noobk

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 24 March 2011, 07:39:05 »
I think i play the same tabletop game ;D

Wow, I thought I might be the only one!  :o haha

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #58 on: 03 April 2011, 10:30:01 »
I posted a link to a youtube video of a song with 1 word in the whole song that was considered swearing and was given a warning.

Yea, i got a warning for starting out the word with the first letter then using asterisks. I trully thought that was ok. Oh well. I was warned nearly a week after. I do see words used , even the one i used pass the filter and be on the thread and not get pulled. Interesting.

I do know that tittie is ok to use tho since it's in one of the first posts on this thread and has even been quoted.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #59 on: 03 April 2011, 11:46:29 »
I trully thought that was ok.

That's why it pays to read the rules. Rule 2 is quite clear on that point.

Register