Author Topic: Recommend a miniature carrier for me  (Read 1604 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Recommend a miniature carrier for me
« on: 12 April 2018, 23:40:24 »
My Battletech minis collection has badly outgrown my storage ability.  I'm looking for a reasonably good sized transport bag that I can stick a decent amount of minis in at a time.  If it can also hold rulebooks and dice, that's great but not necessary.  Thanks.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BairdEC

• Master Sergeant
Re: Recommend a miniature carrier for me
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2018, 01:23:52 »
My Feldherr soft case has held up pretty well.  Battle foam makes decent bags, even if they're a bit expensive.  The couple I have had a seam  blow out on one, although it didn't affect the integrity of the bag, and one end of the zipper come undone on the other.  I have had to compress/ close the hooks on the carrying straps on both bags.  They really don't like 30 lbs of minis.  One of the BF bags is a PACK 720, the other is a Privateer Press branded bag.

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2018, 16:06:37 »
I have a rather small Feldherr that is good for maybe a company of mechs. It has worked well for me at GenCon, but it is pretty small, and the sort of thing you put inside a larger bag rather than something you want to carry on its own. For storage at home, I found a company that sold decently sized cardboard boxes with pick-and-pluck foam that I use for storing larger quantities of mechs. They aren't very convenient for transport though.

I'm trying to remember what some of the demo agents were using at GenCon, but I didn't think to look at brands or anything.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2018, 18:11:38 »
I seriously recommend magnetizing them.

No, seriously, it's a massive help, and you can store a LOT more in the same space as foam takes up, and it's much easier to expand than foam trays.

I made my own trays (as in the picture) because I'm poor, but here's a guy that detailed how he bought stuff from a jewelry display company and had a ton of storage for a lot cheaper than the overpriced army builder foam stuff.

https://belchedfromthedepths.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-quest-for-perfect-miniatures.html

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2018, 18:16:32 »
Interesting idea, but I'm looking for something that can provide transportation, which those really don't.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2018, 20:02:55 »
I usually use fishing tackle boxes (or the single trays) and foam...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2018, 20:21:18 »
I use plano rifle and pistol cases...

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

pensiveswetness

• Lieutenant
  • Delete this account, please?
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2018, 20:55:34 »
I usually use fishing tackle boxes (or the single trays) and foam...

Ruger

assuming that someone who be able to make it (the foam trays), where would you purchase the foam for the trays? Tackle boxes are simply affairs by themselves but making the trays is what vexes me. I'm not that point yet of more mini's that space but I would like one more tackle box so I could (in vain) have a box of all 4 weight classes separated better...

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2018, 23:04:03 »
Interesting idea, but I'm looking for something that can provide transportation, which those really don't.
the link I provided talked about premade trays and cases that fit said trays, including one that was a luggage-style wheelie case which unzipped on top and to the side so you could easily access everything, or another solid steel one that locked.

What I do with mine is stacking crates, 14"x10"x10" which just fit the trays. I put them inside, 3-4 trays to a crate. I can fit my entire D&D collection of 500+ minis in three of those and carry them almost anywhere securely - and can access whatever I might need quite easily.

But I figured, since you probably have a reasonable income of some sort, that you might prefer the manufactured option to do less work. Time = money, after all. :p

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2018, 23:57:54 »
Yeah, my arrow for a project like this leans more toward money than workshop space.  Though having a personal workshop for more extensive projects than putting Battletech minis together would be great.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: 14 April 2018, 19:10:10 »
assuming that someone who be able to make it (the foam trays), where would you purchase the foam for the trays? Tackle boxes are simply affairs by themselves but making the trays is what vexes me. I'm not that point yet of more mini's that space but I would like one more tackle box so I could (in vain) have a box of all 4 weight classes separated better...

I don't make trays from foam. I use whatever spare foam I can find (such as what used to be included in miniature packs) to provide cushions for the minis...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 15 April 2018, 07:49:40 »

There should be a foam and rubber dealer somewhere near where you live, it's an astoundingly common requirement. I know there's one five minutes from where I live, two, now that I think about it.

All you need to do is measure out the inside of the box and then give them a call for a quote/head down.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #12 on: 15 April 2018, 08:03:22 »
GW had bunch of pre-cut foam cases that were perfect for Battletech.  However, now it's you have to "rip" out the foam holes now. Their still pretty good when it comes to Battletech miniatures.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #13 on: 15 April 2018, 11:01:29 »
I like my BattleFoam case. Pricey but worth it for me. It has helped a lot of minis survive our two young kids.