Author Topic: Do tank crews ever get "carsick"?  (Read 6119 times)

Thantos13

• Corporal
Re: Do tank crews ever get "carsick"?
« Reply #30 on: 27 February 2018, 14:18:46 »
underwater = no wave motion.

North Sea, State 4 seas, 400 feet down; Captain blowin' chuncks. 600 feet down much better.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #31 on: 27 February 2018, 18:56:05 »
Dude, in the air your apex predator is the ground! You have to meet him someday!

Any landing that you walk away from is a good landing  ^-^

In the air the apex predator is an aircraft:

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 28 February 2018, 00:35:02 »
Subs have places to be, and can't really transit confined, shallow or busy waterways underwater, it's a natural constraint. The real fun part is that subs can't actually submerge when the seas get above a certain level, so they just have to remain on the surface and tough it out. :-)
Commercial waterways when transiting to and from patrols, for example, or even just going into and out of harbors.  You don't WANT to play in the splashy parts, but you can't always avoid them.

And then there's those "oh my god" moments when you can feel wave action a hundred feet deep anyway, because rogue waves are a thing and Poseidon hates you all.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: 28 February 2018, 04:48:04 »
Any landing that you walk away from is a good landing  ^-^

In the air the apex predator is an aircraft:

Lol, seems more like a suicide bomber than an apex predator. :-)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2018, 23:54:50 »
I will be honest, while the list says some little PVT is supposed to drive the track since he is getting 'scut' work . . . I know plenty of NCOs and was one of the Specs that drove.  TC always went to the senior NCO . . . if they were not sitting in that hatch then it got fought over.

Because as noted, most folks did not want to be in the back, in the dark, in the heat with no idea WTF was going on- especially if the CVC boxes were not set up right.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #35 on: 06 March 2018, 08:12:42 »
... especially if the CVC boxes were not set up right.

CVC? Combat Vomit Container?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #36 on: 06 March 2018, 08:14:26 »
nah, it was the boxes you could connect to the vehicle intercom system with . . . but they had to be set up right to listen in to the driver/TC channel or even the radios.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #37 on: 06 March 2018, 10:26:56 »
Semi-related question... I have been reading a few things recently which, certainly in terms of the British Army, seem to refer to the person I have always thought of as the "loader" as the "operator" and I had understood that it was commonly the role of the most junior member of a tank crew but have seen at least one example where it was the highest after the tank commander*

Is this to do with the other role that person has the radio operator?

*the specific example was a tank at The Tank Museum and the tank was a regimental CO's ride
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #38 on: 06 March 2018, 11:08:55 »
I thought it was . . . TC, Gunner, Loader and then Driver for seniority.
Colt Ward

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #39 on: 07 March 2018, 21:04:16 »
In the 11th ACR, it was TC, gunner, driver, then loader.  The TC and gunner may kill things, but the driver gets them there safely without being killed.

In other vehicles, like softskins and gun trucks, the order would be TC, gunner, and then driver often enough (if the TC wasn't acting as the gunner).
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #40 on: 07 March 2018, 21:51:24 »
The other thing is that the driver of the Abrams gets to lie down all day. :D
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 12 March 2018, 23:22:26 »
I never got "carsick" driving the M1 or even the bit of playing around in the M60 (never served in but did some playing around in them mostly driving, very little gunning/TC). I did get carsick when I made gunner, TC is not bad and was never a loader. My first unit was short staffed and so my tank was a three man crew with with our loader being what ever grunt we grabbed to be the loader. Position went loader (up to PFC), driver (up to SPC), gunner (up to Sgt), and TC (up to SFC/LTC).

Register