Author Topic: linux distro  (Read 3087 times)

elf25s

• Major
linux distro
« on: 07 March 2018, 18:57:01 »
ok am getting tired of windows and as all that is unholy will not upgrade my home computers to windows 10.
so i have to choose between linux distros
mint
ubuntu
susie
puppy

need help choosing one...
need one at least with decent driver support and windows emulation. yah need it for few programs i still use...and i want my kids to have ease of use also.
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
Re: linux distro
« Reply #1 on: 07 March 2018, 19:20:37 »
Ubuntu.

It is the widest supported and a lot of their efforts to into windows comparables.

Plus tons of articles, Kb, and how tos for it.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

Ice Hellion

• Master Sergeant
  • Part-time builder of fallen empires
« Reply #2 on: 09 March 2018, 04:14:31 »
I have been using Ubuntu for years now without any peculiar problems.
For emulating Windows, there is Wine but in spite of losing some software, I decided not to follow this road and to cut myself completely from the Windows world.
In turn they tested each Clan namesake
In trial against the ice hellion's mettle.
Each chased the ice hellion, hunting it down.
All faild to match the predator's speed and grace.
Khan Cage smiled and said. "And that is how we shall be."

The Remembrance, Passage 5, Verse 3, Lines 1-5

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 09 March 2018, 04:26:46 »
I would go with mint or ubuntu. Both are great distros and I had Lubuntu (it's based on Ubuntu but uses different Desktop Enviroment) on my old laptop. No problems when I used it. My friends used Mint and were happy with it.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2018, 05:25:19 »
In regards to Ubuntu...

Depending on the desktop you want it would really be Kubuntu (KDE) or plain Ubuntu (Gnome). I prefer Kubuntu myself. Never have been a fan of Gnome...

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 09 March 2018, 07:16:14 »
In regards to Ubuntu...

Depending on the desktop you want it would really be Kubuntu (KDE) or plain Ubuntu (Gnome). I prefer Kubuntu myself. Never have been a fan of Gnome...
e
ok what is the difference? kernel as i understand is the same?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #6 on: 09 March 2018, 10:25:11 »
e
ok what is the difference? kernel as i understand is the same?

There are two different GUI platforms that run on top of most linux distributions. KDE and Gnome.

The blood gets pretty deep when discussing which one to use, and Ubuntu (like many distributions) does allow you to choose which one, but will default to gnome.

Both of these are based off of X-windows (or just X for short) which is a GUI presentation layer for linux.
Demo team agent #772

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #7 on: 09 March 2018, 10:49:48 »
I used to fiddle around with Linux some 10 years ago. My purpose was to set up a MekWars server, and I wanted a light weight operating system for my outdated PC (400 MHz processor, 384 MB of RAM, Radeon 7000) with only what is needed and nothing more. I was recommended Gentoo Linux, and I got it. Installation was... an interesting experience. I had to look up detailed information about computer's hard disk drive (number of disks, sectors, and some more if I recall correctly) and input that. Then was a very long list of check boxes. Some were no-brainers, like MMX and 3DNow, but for many others I had to consult Wikipedia and Google whether I should tick the box or not. It took a while, but I got it done. For X Window System I chose IceWM. I got it done, MekWars server software working on it, and connected on it with MekWars client on my (at the time) new PC. My brother tossed that machine to recycle center near end of the last year.

There are two different GUI platforms that run on top of most linux distributions. KDE and Gnome.

The blood gets pretty deep when discussing which one to use, and Ubuntu (like many distributions) does allow you to choose which one, but will default to gnome.
Computer magazine MikroBitti (written in Finnish language) has an article about it. Most of us may be more familiar about Mega Drive, Genesis, and SNES debacle years past, or more recently PlayStation and Xbox series consoles in more recent years. Gnome and KDE camps have comparable feud going on. KDE camp wants KDE as default for Ubuntu, like it hasn't been already done.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2018, 15:41:52 »
Yeah, KDE and Gnome both work well but for most it is a matter or taste while others... just take it too far.

There are far more desktop managers out there than Gnome and KDE but those are the main two. It has been awhile since I have used linux, my current computer only runs win 10 while my previous system was running Kubuntu, XP, and 7

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #9 on: 10 March 2018, 07:42:44 »
While I run pure debian on my desktop and netbook, I'll toss in another vote for Ubuntu: it really is more than enough for most  tasks, and certainly a good performer.

KDE is cool, I've actually never used Gnome 3.*, and didn't mind Unity one bit. But for now LXQT on Debian is my current ride  O0
If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #10 on: 10 March 2018, 11:24:28 »
What Linux is most recommended for old & outdated computers with little processing power? Is Gentoo still the answer? Ooo, Slackware is still going on, and available for 386 processors too! If I can't find working MS-DOS 6 floppy disks, I just might install Slackware to family's first PC with AMD 40 MHz 386 SX processor.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #11 on: 10 March 2018, 11:55:40 »
What Linux is most recommended for old & outdated computers with little processing power? Is Gentoo still the answer? Ooo, Slackware is still going on, and available for 386 processors too! If I can't find working MS-DOS 6 floppy disks, I just might install Slackware to family's first PC with AMD 40 MHz 386 SX processor.

Lubuntu with LXDE, Puppy Linux, MATE are the ones I can think of that are either polished or widely used and supported.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 10 March 2018, 11:59:25 »
Interesting. Out of curiosity I checked up on real-time operating systems and apparently RTLinux (Wind River) has gone kaput. I guess the effort to slim the kernel down to near RTOS response hasn't borne fruit and embedded developers prefer other options.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 15 March 2018, 19:01:17 »
ok i am deciding between ubuntu and mint
as far as i can tell both have same core but somewhat different gui
also do any of them run firefox as a browser? i do not ever want to see the ever so hellful internet explorer in my life if i can help it

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 15 March 2018, 19:08:47 »
If it were during the Unity days I would have said Mint no contest. The direction it was going was worrying, but now they're shooting for a decent Gnome distribution. Otherwise I would still tend toward Mint because I like the color theming more than purple/orange. Also having some green touches in the command line is nice.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #15 on: 16 March 2018, 07:52:18 »
As for browsers, all the major ones not called Internet Explorer or edge are also compiled for Linux.

Not all the plugins, but most of them
Demo team agent #772

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #16 on: 20 March 2018, 17:32:21 »
I use a bunch of different distros, mostly because I love to tinker and play.  But if I am setting up for someone who is new, I go with either Ubuntu of Mint.  They started out the same, but diverged pretty sharply, so there is a bit of difference, but either are very usable to someone starting out on Linux.   To make it overly simple, if you prefer OS, you will find Ubuntu more familiar out of the box.  If you are used to Windows, Mint's Cinnamon interface is more comfortable.  (I personally like Cinnamon over Unity, but I stay out of religious arguments.)  But both of them are easy to use and learn. 

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #17 on: 21 March 2018, 13:08:45 »
To make it overly simple, if you prefer OS
OS = Operating System ?

If you are used to Windows, Mint's Cinnamon interface is more comfortable.
What about Lindows?

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2018, 13:18:47 »
What about Lindows?

"That's a name I haven't heard in a long long time." - Ben Kenobi

Last I heard MS owns that name and the company (Linspire) got bought by Xandros and even Linspire has been abandoned as a name. I think they do Freespire? Either way, I'd steer away from them as I'm unsure of the support vs. Ubuntu.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #19 on: 23 March 2018, 14:24:19 »
"That's a name I haven't heard in a long long time." - Ben Kenobi

Last I heard MS owns that name and the company (Linspire) got bought by Xandros and even Linspire has been abandoned as a name.
Nope. I just checked Wikipedia and Linspire is still around as a commercial product. Freespire is free. If I have understood it correctly. Microsoft had bought Lindows trademark for $20M after which operating system was rebranded to Linspire.

If you want to know what it is like to install a Linux without proper installation software, just check out instructions for Gentoo hard disk installation. Been there and done that.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 23 March 2018, 15:13:33 »
We've already done a homespun distribution with LXDE on an embedded Gumstix system with no desire to ever do that again.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 09 April 2018, 14:43:36 »
sorry been away on personal ....good news my friend is alive and well!
reading up on other distros i am down to 2 mint or ubuntu but as far as i can tell the only difference is the gui but the kernel is the same...am i right?
so what are the differences that people squable over

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 09 April 2018, 16:11:25 »
sorry been away on personal ....good news my friend is alive and well!
reading up on other distros i am down to 2 mint or ubuntu but as far as i can tell the only difference is the gui but the kernel is the same...am i right?
so what are the differences that people squable over

Well, there are systems, subsystems, and packaged programs that make distributions differ. Not just the UI. Someone more enterprising than me could probably source a site that outlines what all is included that's not part of the kernel.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #23 on: 09 April 2018, 23:08:22 »
Well, there are systems, subsystems, and packaged programs that make distributions differ. Not just the UI.
Is that the reason why KDE camp wants KDE as default X Window System for Ubuntu instead of installing Kubuntu?