Author Topic: MotW: Centurion  (Read 29453 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: MotW: Centurion
« Reply #30 on: 17 October 2016, 16:19:31 »
What you did in there? I see it. And now I have theme music from 30 years ago stuck in my head.

I don't think I like you.  ;D

30 years since centurions, power extreme was on the TV..  man do i feel old.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #31 on: 17 October 2016, 17:09:04 »
Nice writeup. Though I prefer the lighter Enforcer because in 3025 it was prettier than the Centurion, the Centurion was the real backbone medium Mech of the Fed Suns.

Its worth noting that the CN9-D (the 3049, Recovered Star League variant) gains Artemis IV FCS, and CASE as well. The downside is that in order to utilize the CASE only in one location, all the armor is transfered to the RT, so its easier to go boom. Still, its a pretty solid upgrade, and I think the 6/9 speed is one of the big surprises of TR3050. DC fans are probably annoyed that the FedSuns got a Dragon clone at 10 tons lighter however :)
The RACturion is a beaut, but its a dishonourable medium Mech fit only for eta, while the Grand Dragon has its own attractions
/samurai

I expect better from a mech that ought to have Power Extreme.
O0 for the Centurion Omni... perhaps...

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #32 on: 17 October 2016, 22:57:57 »
Prefecture Compliant?

Sort of like State Compliant Firearms, Down graded, nerfed or otherwise less functional then stuff meant for the RAF
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #33 on: 18 October 2016, 10:24:28 »
Here's a thought for the CN9-AH, it goes back to the original goal for the Centurion, LRM bodyguard. But wait you say, it still can only fire one weapon at a time (due to range brackets). That's fine, it's got LRMs to pitch in with the rest of the LRM lance it's guarding, and a big honkin' autocannon to smack around anyone that gets close to his lancemates. Sure it will have a hard time hitting fast movers, but so does anything intro-tech. But if it does hit, you've crippled or destroyed any light/medium fast movers.

The RACturion is a more modern take on the LRM lance bodyguard. But wait, it doesn't have LRMs. You're right, but it does have a C3 Slave, perfect for spotting for the rest of it's C3 lance or company. Also with it's speed and RAC it can go chase down enemy harassers before they get close to the rest of it's lance.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #34 on: 18 October 2016, 12:08:03 »
Sort of like State Compliant Firearms, Down graded, nerfed or otherwise less functional then stuff meant for the RAF
What source mentions this concept? I haven't encountered it before, despite a fair amount of research on the dark age era.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 18 October 2016, 12:33:08 »
Maybe some ancillary MWDA material? Sarna makes some notes about "downgraded export variant" for some 'Mech variants, usually Dark Ages 'Mechs.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 18 October 2016, 13:22:40 »
I just noticed TRO3050U makes a claim of the Centurion being used to test Compact Engines (among other things). Is there such a variant (ie did i somehow miss it) or is it just  mentioned without there actually being a published Centurion with a Compact Engine?

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #37 on: 18 October 2016, 14:25:08 »
I just noticed TRO3050U makes a claim of the Centurion being used to test Compact Engines (among other things). Is there such a variant (ie did i somehow miss it) or is it just  mentioned without there actually being a published Centurion with a Compact Engine?

I didn't see one in my prep for the article, but I also didn't find the RS:MWDA variants at first either. If they're out there, I may very well have simply missed that it had such an engine, but I feel like I'd have noticed something like that.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #38 on: 18 October 2016, 14:42:27 »
It would be a interesting degree of changes with the 3050s Centurions, a supposed Compact Engine for absorbing damage and the Omni-Cent which has a XL & IIRC a Compact Gyro.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 18 October 2016, 14:51:17 »
My guess would be they were never more than testbeds.  We only get record sheets for production versions.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 18 October 2016, 16:14:27 »
maybe we'll get lucky and a future XTRO will have an example of one of the testbeds.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #41 on: 21 October 2016, 12:53:02 »
So is there a boondoggled LAM version of Centurion nicknamed "Skyknight" or "Skybolt"?  ;D  :-X
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #42 on: 21 October 2016, 14:20:36 »
Gads no. No more LAMs.

The Centurion is a fun little trooper. It was one of the kernals of ideas that became XTRO Retrotech (which drove Jymset nuts because not everything was Experimental rules level  ;)). I did like how it got some separation from the Enforcer as the new technology hit. It changes roles from trooper to more of a skermisher but that isn't a bad thing, especially when you can fit a RAC-5 on a medium.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #43 on: 24 October 2016, 21:55:07 »
The Centurion is a great mech.  The 9A and 9D being old favorites.  Just have to get over the slower speed on the old 9A. 

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: 02 November 2016, 10:28:17 »
Thank you for the great article. I've always had a soft spot for the centurion.  A great all around trooper/ work horse, that can fill a slot in almost any lance.  I'm not a fan of the Xl engine variants, but the D has its uses. 
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #45 on: 18 November 2016, 00:19:59 »
Thank you for the great article. I've always had a soft spot for the centurion.  A great all around trooper/ work horse, that can fill a slot in almost any lance.  I'm not a fan of the Xl engine variants, but the D has its uses.

That is does.  I like the Centurion even though I prefer to run mech units in which all the mechs have jump jets. 

The ability for the 5D to carry both standard and LB-X ammunition makes it very flexible.  It is a threat at any range as long as it has ammunition.  Unless it has a severely damaged side torso, then it is likely going to be a casualty unless it retreats. 
« Last Edit: 18 November 2016, 00:21:34 by Demon55 »

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: 20 July 2019, 18:44:14 »
Centurion D3D - the light gauss done right. In fact, I'd say it's the only light gauss mech done right. Although you need a big map to use the weapon range, being able to tell the clanner scum you're in medium band and his ER energy weapons are at long? Priceless. Having enough speed and ammo to Kite and circle-strafe him to death? Better

Then the D4D takes what was done right and reverses most of it.
« Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 18:53:03 by Greatclub »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #47 on: 21 July 2019, 00:15:30 »
So is there a boondoggled LAM version of Centurion nicknamed "Skyknight" or "Skybolt"?  ;D  :-X

There was an attempt, but there were extreme issues with power.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #48 on: 21 July 2019, 16:17:50 »
There was an attempt, but there were extreme issues with power.

*slow clap*
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
« Reply #49 on: 25 July 2019, 08:52:49 »
My personal appreciation for the Centurion's gone up a notch with HBS BattleTech.  It's one of my core troopers until I manage to get my hands on a stable of heavies, a steadfast and reliable slugger to balance out other 'Mechs.  One recent game I started with two of them.  It was glorious having two AC/10s and some LRMs on tap from the get-go.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #50 on: 29 July 2019, 08:13:59 »
Added benefit of giving it a look closer to it's name sake

Didn't Roman centurions have their crests mounted transversely instead of forward to back?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #51 on: 29 July 2019, 09:57:19 »
Probably, but the evidence for that is not considered conclusive.  And crests don't appear to have been worn all the time, either.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: 29 July 2019, 10:44:45 »
Probably, but the evidence for that is not considered conclusive.  And crests don't appear to have been worn all the time, either.

I vaguely remember that it might have changed at one point, then changed back? and that some parade uniform might have had different bits?

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 11 August 2023, 16:12:57 »
Has CGL ever released an official record sheet for Dani Liao-Centrella's version of Yen-Lo-Wang?

Looks like we get a nice image and description of the mech in the novel Principles of Desolation, but I don't see anything in my collection of TROs and Record Sheets.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #54 on: 11 August 2023, 16:27:48 »
It was the Omni Cent D IIRC.
Colt Ward

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 11 August 2023, 17:28:53 »
Thats strange, the Yen-Lo-Wang was never an OmniMech and the artwork from Principles of Desolation shows it was based on the standard Centurion.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #56 on: 11 August 2023, 18:07:43 »
per sarna:
After passing to Danai Liao-Centrella, the ancient 'Mech featured a Series 4D-2 Heavy Large Laser, a Type XX "Long Bow" LRM-20 with Artemis IV, a Hatchet, a Shield, and Triple Strength Myomer; it was noted to feature experimental Clan technology though it remains unclear to which components exactly this refers.[1][15] By this time, its chassis had been replaced with a Corean Model K77 Endo Steel chassis and it was powered by a Vlar 300 XL fusion engine.

-----
[1] Danai Liao-Centrella's dossier card
[15] Principles of Desolation, pp. 78-90, 98-99

i don't think we've gotten a record sheet for it. the mini for it was a mod of the MWDA centurion figure, and iirc it got some recolors that became the omni centurion D config.

the chassis switch to endo was notable to me, given the extensive work that would have required. i guess the damage it took when Kai died in it combined with the wreck sitting in a warehouse for so long was extensive enough that a complete rebuild was needed
« Last Edit: 11 August 2023, 18:12:53 by glitterboy2098 »

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #57 on: 11 August 2023, 18:15:54 »
the chassis switch to endo was notable to me, given the extensive work that would have required. i guess the damage it took when Kai died in it combined with the wreck sitting in a warehouse for so long was extensive enough that a complete rebuild was needed

Something just occurred to me:  If 'mechs are anything like modern vehicles, a new chassis, especially a different one, means it's practically a new 'mech in identity too, especially if serial numbers are stamped on the chassis like they tend to be somewhere on the frames of cars and trucks.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #58 on: 12 August 2023, 01:18:32 »
Thats strange, the Yen-Lo-Wang was never an OmniMech and the artwork from Principles of Desolation shows it was based on the standard Centurion.

The MWDA was not a Omni until CGL started converting the MWDA designs, see the notes for Maclovia Saavedra . . . I have the figure sitting on a bookshelf.  The pilot card's mech portion says it was modeled on a Solaris VII model.

Serial Number TA6101-11J
Mass 50 tons
Chassis Corean Model K77 Endo Steel
Power Plant Magna 250 Fusion
Cruising Speed 54 kph, 65 khp w/Triple-Strength Myomer
Maximum Speed 86.4 kph, 112khp w/Triple-Strength Myomer
Jump Jets None
Armor StarGuard III
Armament 1 Defiance Model XXII Extended-Range Medium Laser
1 Federated 10-shot Long-Range Missile 10 Launcher

Originally deployed by the Duchy of Tamarind-Abbey, one of the former Free
Worlds member states, serial number TA6101-11J was captured by the Wolf‘s
Dragoons during an objective raid in the early 3110s and heavily customized to
mount a shield and hatchet, similar to a Centurion variant seen recently on
Solaris. Saavedra, an accomplished close-in fighter, is particularly adept at using
the shield and hatchet combo to great effect in battle, but she prefers to whittle an
enemy‘s defenses down first with her ranged weapons.
Colt Ward

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #59 on: 12 August 2023, 09:20:45 »
Essentially, Danai's version of the Yen-Lo-Wang Dark Age era machine wasn't stated out officially, though canon.   It was to have Clan Heavy Medium Laser, Shield, Hatchet, LRM and the Hatchet.  It was depicted twice in the Novels, with backstory of Danai Liao-Centrella being gifted the wreck of the 'Mech after Kai's death. She rebuilt it.

I'm not owner of this, but BattleTech: Essentials may have record sheets for it. I know there some Record Sheets for the Yen-Lo-Wang is included, but I'm unsure where I saw Clan stats.  The Succession War Era version appearing in TRO: 3039 Record Sheets, and the Clan Invasion era Yen-Lo-Wang stats (the CN9-YLW2) showed up in TRO: 3050U Inner Sphere record sheets.

Kai's CN9-YLW3 version, with Clan weaponry does appear in Turning Points: Capellan Crusades. Record sheet, but it's not quite same machine.  Shield missing, has Clan Gauss Rifle instead.  It has a Heavy Medium laser, Hatchet, Clan LRM 20 and the TSM with light Ferro.

Closest one that has the Shield is the OmniMech version of the Centurion, the CN11-OD  which has a Medium shield on it.  Technically, you can fit it out that way. However, no TSM like real deal.
« Last Edit: 12 August 2023, 09:24:40 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register