Author Topic: Talk to me about the Ha Otako  (Read 3828 times)

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
Talk to me about the Ha Otako
« on: 30 June 2019, 20:41:02 »
I know the Ha Otako was designed as a cheap defense mech. Do we have a mech if the week article on it?

As a spirit and mandrill fan this mech should be right up my alley but I disliked the idea story wise as though resource poor both clans are were very proud. Am
I wrong to think this way? How is this mech?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Talk to me about the Ha Otako
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2019, 20:48:57 »
Both Clans do use the 'Mech certainly, per MUL. The standard one.

The standard is very much a poor man's fire support, at least as Clan 'Mechs go. I mean, it mounts single heat sinks. Park it in water and have some trigger discipline and it is okay fire support 'Mech, though you'll probably put solahma on that duty!
Its got OK armor but not really enough mobility to disengage if attacked by faster opponents. Keep it at distance.

I'd say the 3 variant is OK as cheap general purpose/fire support design, though it comes late enough we have no idea if the homeworld clans use it. Not that Fire Mandrills or Blood Spirits are around to use it anymore...

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2019, 03:39:46 »
I have to wonder if the main variant of the Ha Otoko for the Clans really brings anything to the table for factions that have access to the Crossbow. Slower, but slightly more armor, more firepower, but can't use it as effectively due to the heat sink issue. Its a wash IMO.

Otherwise, it plays exactly like what it is. A missile boat with too many missiles for its heat sinks.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2019, 06:19:12 »
I've always thought of it as poor assault version of the Crusader in a way.  Humaniod shaped mech.  Because it was for  Draconis Combine, Clans selling it didn't want to be too fantastic.  I guess Clan Merchants didn't have any inner sphere double heat sinks around when they were making it. 

There later variants have more potential, with the all Clan tech and double heat sinks. The Ha Otaku 2 is more anti-Combine arms mech, packing Plasma Cannon, Hypergauss Rifle 30, a Quad of ER Mediums and single LRM 10.

There also the prototype Ha Otoko-HR, has more well rounded feel to it.  Adding endosteel, dropping the arm mounted LRMs for a ER Large Laser and ER mediums and the LRMs have  Artemis IV FCS, which makes them more potent to lay in more missiles into the target. Experimental side of it i think is the inclusion of the AP Gauss Rifles to take out infantry and more likely Battle Armor. ECM nice touch too.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2019, 09:33:52 »
You're thinking of the Ha Otoko 3.  The Ha Otoko HR uses a pair of LRM 20s with no extra fire control systems and a pair of Mech Mortar 8s.  It's an experimental design because it uses an IS light engine, small cockpit, and DHS.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2019, 18:33:13 »
So there was no cannon IIC version with case or double heat sinks? Is that possible on this chassis?

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2019, 18:40:44 »
What I'm trying to figure out is if the 1C is a completely different production line, or if its just a refit of the original.

Because if its a refit of the original, then you'd think it'd have Clan CASE, since that's done by chassis, last I checked.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2019, 19:07:59 »
The Ha Otoko 1C is done with IS Tech. No Clan-tech.
Presumably the Sharks thought there'd be profit to be made producing IS tech stuff for Spheroid nations.

Clan Ha Otoko sports SFE, the 1C has XLFE.

Since the Ha Otoko uses single heat sinks, i'm thinking Sharks either repurposed some combat vehicle fusion engines or opened some old storehouses.
« Last Edit: 01 July 2019, 19:09:37 by Empyrus »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2019, 20:04:43 »
So there was no cannon IIC version with case or double heat sinks? Is that possible on this chassis?

All the Clan variants have CASE, that's default on Clan mechs.  The 2, 3, and HR have double heatsinks.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2019, 21:17:14 »
I had the 1C thrust on me once. It performed like a slightly upgunned longbow 7q. I was running standard munitions in the 20s and thunder in the 10s, which caused a fair bit of havoc.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 03 July 2019, 10:29:35 »
I had the 1C thrust on me once. It performed like a slightly upgunned longbow 7q. I was running standard munitions in the 20s and thunder in the 10s, which caused a fair bit of havoc.
The only times Thunder didn't cause all kinds of havoc have been when I was playing new people.  They either just bulled through, or treated those hexes like they were radioactive.   
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 21 March 2023, 17:59:52 »
I know the Ha Otako was designed as a cheap defense mech. Do we have a mech if the week article on it?

As a spirit and mandrill fan this mech should be right up my alley but I disliked the idea story wise as though resource poor both clans are were very proud. Am
I wrong to think this way? How is this mech?

Following up on this. Given the choice would a spirit or mandrill warrior take a Mandrill Mech over the Ha Otako?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2023, 21:24:42 »

Following up on this. Given the choice would a spirit or mandrill warrior take a Mandrill Mech over the Ha Otako?

Heavier is almost always better, especially when you are slow (slow as dirt in case of the mandrill). But the heat issues of the only variant around is worrisome.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 22 March 2023, 09:44:20 »
I've always thought of it as poor assault version of the Crusader in a way.  Humaniod shaped mech.  Because it was for  Draconis Combine, Clans selling it didn't want to be too fantastic.  I guess Clan Merchants didn't have any inner sphere double heat sinks around when they were making it. 

Pretty much . . . also remember, the Sharks tried to sell it to the Hansa too.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2023, 10:18:30 »

If you're comparing the Mandrill vs the Ha Otako base model that's a balancing act between heat issues and armor issues. The Ha Otako has over double the armor of the Mandrill, but the two 'Mechs have effectively the same weapons throw when accounting for heat sinks. Like Kerfuffin said, most of the time the armor is the better choice, but you have to be extra wary of infernos & plasma weapons.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #15 on: 22 March 2023, 10:25:13 »
The Ha Otoko is also going to have more structure . . . but as mentioned, the heavy is the one to take.  It may only get off the same amount of damage over time, but your GOTH plan is to slam the big red button and damn the heat.

Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."