Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Anime Gunsmith Catgirls Reincarnated into Another Thread  (Read 141315 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
I'm trying to watch Angel Beats.  I don't understand it.

That’s the one in the same universe as Outlaw Star, right? Meant to get t way back when but never did.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

kato

• Captain
That’s the one in the same universe as Outlaw Star, right?
That would be Angel Links.

Angel Beats is about an afterlife limbo cast into the setting of a highschool in which a group of ensouled students violently rebel against factions maintaining this setting.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Keep watching, the show's got a lot of heart.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
It seems to be picking up.

Angel Links was one I saw the first few episodes of and didn't really get into.  Despite the claim that it was set in Outlaw Star's universe it really felt like it was an alternate universe- there were just enough changes to the setting that it couldn't have been the same one.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
That would be Angel Links.

Angel Beats is about an afterlife limbo cast into the setting of a highschool in which a group of ensouled students violently rebel against factions maintaining this setting.

Right, right. Thanks for the correction and synopsis.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

kato

• Captain
Anime not starting new next season

Continuation pickups
  • Go-Toubun no Hanayome (Season 2)
  • Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (Gaiden series: Magia Record)
  • Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki (Season 2: Nisatsume)
  • Yuru Camp (Season 2: Heya Camp)
  • Show by Rock! (Season 2: Mashumairesh)
  • Toaru Majutsu no Index (Series 2 Season 3: Kagaku no Railgun T)
  • Haikyuu! (Season 4)
  • Isekai Quartet (Season 2)
  • Bang Dream! (Season 3)
  • Precure (Series 17: Healin' Good)
Reboot/remake
  • Majutsushi Orphen (Reboot of 90s series)
  • Nekopara (TV Series to crowdfunded OVA)
Carried over from current season
  • Chihayafuru (Season 3 Cour 2)
  • Radiant (Season 2 Cour 2)
  • Boku no Hero Academia (Season 3 Cour 2)
  • Nanatsu no Taizai (Season 3 Cour 2)
  • Ahiru no Sora (Cour 2)
  • Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (Cour 2)
  • Fate/Grand Order: Zettai Majuu Sensen Babylonia (Cour 2)
  • Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle (Cour 2)
  • Kabukichou Sherlock (Cour 2)
« Last Edit: 15 December 2019, 05:26:59 by kato »

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
More Laid-back Camp and Bang Dream. Looking good!

While waiting for the current season to wrap up so I can marathon the series without waiting for the next episode, I got started with The Ryuo's Work is Never Done! from last year. It's about Shogi and its players. Protagonist is 16 years old professional player who didn't bother enrolling high school. Instead he ends up training grade school girls (1 is tsundere) to play Shogi. His main love interest is 25 years old woman struggling to become professional, who in turn ignores/stonewalls protagonist's advances. I hope it'll work out for her. There's also 14 years old bully girl, who insults protagonist, threatens to kill him, beats him up, and protagonist takes it lying down. Repeatedly. I have come to understand this is supposed to be Japanese humour, but I'm not amused at all. It is established already in the beginning of the first episode that playing Shogi is mentally demanding and requires strong will power. Then protagonist panics when bully girl comes for a visit and demands a knife. In the context I find such "humour" terribly misplaced and terribly executed.

Otherwise mail brought me anime Violet Evergarden (all the way from Australia) and manga Metamorphosis. In anime club meeting a week ago we watched episodes from AD Police: To Protect and Serve, Ronja the Robber's Daughter, Batman Ninja, and something I forgot. We exchanged gifts and I got anime When They Cry.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
  • Show by Rock! (Season 2: Mashumairesh)
Should be the third or fourth season, actually, depending upon how you count them:

Show By Rock!! (2015)
Show By Rock!! Short!! (shorts, naturally)
Show By Rock!!# (2016)
Show By Rock!! Mashumairesh!! <Upcoming 2020

DarkSpade

• Major

Otherwise mail brought me anime Violet Evergarden (all the way from Australia) and manga Metamorphosis. In anime club meeting a week ago we watched episodes from AD Police: To Protect and Serve, Ronja the Robber's Daughter, Batman Ninja, and something I forgot. We exchanged gifts and I got anime When They Cry.

I'm assuming whoever brought Batman Ninja was removed from the club. And I mean physically removed by force.   Unless they just fast forwarded to the fight scene on the roof because that was pretty sweet.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
I'm assuming whoever brought Batman Ninja was removed from the club. And I mean physically removed by force.
Nope. Nobody was removed. And we watched the entire thing.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

kato

• Captain
New anime next season:

Fantasy:
  • Plunderer : What you get when the Oreimo director does an action fantasy manga written by the guy who did Sora no Otoshimono.
  • Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu : Non-isekai VRMMO, female MC. Silver Link.
  • Infinite Dendrogram : Non-isekai VRMMO, male MC. Same animation studio that did Re:Creators.
  • Ishuzoku Reviewers : Monster girls. Prostitution. 'nuff said.
  • Somali to Mori no Kamisama : Fantasy travel anime. Dark comedy.
General mystery/thriller/battle stuff:
  • Kyokou Suiri : Youkai battle anime from the author of Zetsuen no Tempest and Spiral, directed by Keiji Gotoh (!). Might run under the names "In/Spectre" or "Inverted Interference".
  • ID:Invaded : Anime original scifi thriller kinda thing of the cyberworld variant.
  • Pet : Mind infiltration psychic hijinks that from the PV look more like a bad drug trip.
  • Darwin's Game : Someone literally copied the plot of one of those King's Game anime and changed the name.
  • Housekishou Richard-shi no Nazo Kantei : Mystery anime for an adult female demographic with two male MCs. You know where that's going.
  • Dorehedoro : MAPPA producing Q Hayashida's long-running seinen anime featuring a caiman-headed MC. Has been described as both grotesque and ultraviolent.
Sports and school stuff:
  • Eizouken ni wa te wo dasu na! : Anime-creation-bu from the Tatami Galaxy guy. Visuals are a bit off as to be expected for that.
  • Koisuru Asteroid : Astronomy-bu. Voice acting a bit too high-pitched for me personally.
  • Murenase! Seton Gakuen : Animal girl school setting. Romantic comedy. Cygames. The PV consists of a real bear playing in a zoo.
  • Breakers : Para-athletic sports anime. Bit of an omnibus format supposedly. Might be interesting.
  • Number 24 : Rugby sports anime. Doesn't look particularly gritty.
  • Jibaku Shounen Hanako-kun : Gender-bent Toilet-no-Hanako-san comedy.
General comedy, SoL etc:
  • Hatena Illusion : Tsundere illusionist couple.
  • Oda Shinamon Nobunaga : Warring states warlords reincarnated as dogs.
  • Natsunagu! : Advertising Kumamoto prefecture.
  • Rebirth : Superdeformed short advertising an isekai-themed card game. I think. Dunno if anyone will ever stream it.
Idol stuff and similar:
  • 22/7 : Idol anime for a group the AKB48 management came up with.
  • Oshi ga Budoukan Itte Kuretara Shinu : Idol fandom. Yuri comedy.
  • Runway de Waratte : Fashion design anime, male MC. They try to smokescreen that with a model in the beginning instead though.
  • ARP Backstage Pass : Augmented-reality multimedia project of a sorta vocaloid kind. All-male band.
  • A3! : Advertising an Ikemen-raising mobage. Yes, that kinda thing exists now.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Girls und Panzer the series is up on Netflix now.

Panzer vor!
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Kyokou Suiri sounds like it has potential.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
I was skimming (i don't read it as often as i used to.) anime news network, Obsolete (mechs anime) is apparently in the wild now.  I've not watched it, but i heard good things about it.

Anyone seen this?  This is the link for the first episode.

They are short episodes, so i guess there saving money that way.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
I was skimming (i don't read it as often as i used to.) anime news network, Obsolete (mechs anime) is apparently in the wild now.  I've not watched it, but i heard good things about it.

Anyone seen this?  This is the link for the first episode.

They are short episodes, so i guess there saving money that way.

I mentioned about the first ep upthread.

Eps two and three have been released from behind the paywall now. These two eps are flashbacks and fill in general backstory.

Ep Two, Bowman, focuses on the Squad Leader from ep 1 and his first encounter with armed users of these mecha.
Ep Three, Miyajima Rei, follows another of the squad from ep 1 as he 'spies' on a India Army mountain unit. The Unit is using the Mecha to help patrol against Pakistani aggression.

But there seems to be a larger player behind the scenes...
Considering the markings of the OPFor in ep 1 were seen in the OPFors in both eps 2 & 3. Not good indeed...
« Last Edit: 17 December 2019, 16:06:08 by Tymers Realm »

kato

• Captain
Kyokou Suiri sounds like it has potential.
Crunchyroll will apparently simulcast it as "In/Spectre".

It's supposedly pretty dialogue-heavy inbetween the flashback gore and the comedic mystery youkai action...

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
The mechs in Obsolete remind me of the Titans in Titanfall.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
I'll give props to the overall concept behind Obsolete.
It's a different take on "Humans getting alien tech and running with it" is cool. But it makes me wonder...

Some kind of PMC, with in a year or two of the EXOFRAMEs showing up, is able to back terrorist-style strike teams, and with in two to three years has functional combat units, with built-in weaponry. Yet it takes the US miliatry six to seven years, with full logistics, to properly have a functioning strike force?

Granted, I'm sure some of this might get cleared up in the following eps, but it just makes me wonder...

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Some kind of PMC, with in a year or two of the EXOFRAMEs showing up, is able to back terrorist-style strike teams, and with in two to three years has functional combat units, with built-in weaponry. Yet it takes the US miliatry six to seven years, with full logistics, to properly have a functioning strike force?
1. Manuscript writer don't know/care about reality of logistics anymore than FASA knew about economics.
2. They're taking more of technical approach than properly organized and developed military one; compare with arming of pickup trucks or IndustrialMechs.

As I understand the setting, the mecha were IndustrialMechs at first. Then somebody got this crazy idea to arm them like pickup trucks.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
Mecha designs in OBSOLETE are certainly more practical & appealing looking than the promotional material lead me to believe! Fun short! Can't really render judgement until I see more though, but I'll be watching more eventually!

Kyokou Suiri : Youkai battle anime from the author of Zetsuen no Tempest and Spiral, directed by Keiji Gotoh (!). Might run under the names "In/Spectre" or "Inverted Interference".

You had me at "Keiji Gotoh"! I so love that man!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Got started with Cross Ange. How to describe this... Science fantasy with mecha? Well, it has mecha, swords (on mecha scale), magic, and dragons. Protagonist is a princess who is arrested on suspicion of being a mutant. You know the phrase: "Kill the heretic, burn the mutant, cleanse the unclean". As such, princess is assigned to penal military unit equipped with mechas to fight the dragons while oniisan takes charge in coup. Proud and pampered princess isn't very cooperative, so she is trained and disciplined in the ways moderators here wouldn't approve of describing. Bit heavy on fan service as you may have guessed by now. It isn't Code Geass, but I'll keep watching.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2019, 15:31:34 by Matti »

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
Got started with Cross Ange. How to describe this... Science fantasy with mecha? Well, it has mecha, swords (on mecha scale), magic, and dragons. Protagonist is a princess who is arrested on suspicion of being a mutant. You know the phrase: "Kill the heretic, burn the mutant, cleanse the unclean". As such, princess is assigned to penal military unit equipped with mechas to fight the dragons while oniisan takes charge in coup. Proud and pampered princess isn't very cooperative, so she is trained and disciplined in the ways moderators here wouldn't approve of describing. Bit heavy on fan service as you may have guessed by now. It isn't Code Geass, but I'll keep watching.

Yeah,  the less discussion of some of the stuff that goes on in that anime the better.  Glass Reflection on YouTube did a review of it in his Review Week Of Awful (last year?) so I'm aware of the content. 
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Redo of Healer is getting anime adaptation. Do you remember outrages over Goblin Slayer and Devilman Crybaby? This one is going to top them (unless heavily censored). Some popcorn please!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Redo of Healer is getting anime adaptation. Do you remember outrages over Goblin Slayer and Devilman Crybaby? This one is going to top them (unless heavily censored). Some popcorn please!
What's Japanese name for it? I know them by the original name due to mangas i read.
If it that healer that was abused and used by heroes and he was getting revenge book...that's going to be nasty and over censored.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
What's Japanese name for it? I know them by the original name due to mangas i read.
回復術士のやり直し

If it that healer that was abused and used by heroes and he was getting revenge book...that's going to be nasty and over censored.
Yes, that's the one. I wonder if whoever green lighted the anime adaptation bothered to read the source material and how much of it. Because Goblin Slayer is heartwarming fairy tale in comparison. It'll be interesting to see what Twitter will say about it. Prepare the popcorn!
« Last Edit: 23 December 2019, 15:36:51 by Matti »

kato

• Captain
I wonder if whoever green lighted the anime adaptation bothered to read the source material and how much of it.
Despite the content the series was voted #1 for "next big LN" in a poll of BookWalker in 2018, the LN publisher of Kadokawa Shoten. Presumably they just went based on that, smelling some juicy sales. And, well, the summaries i see for it usually don't quite reflect the content. Heck, i'm sure if we just described the content with two or three words that'd get this thread locked down fast again.

#2 in the same poll was Combatants Will Be Dispatched! from Konosuba's author.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
回復術士のやり直し
Yes, that's the one. I wonder if whoever green lighted the anime adaptation bothered to read the source material and how much of it. Because Goblin Slayer is heartwarming fairy tale in comparison. It'll be interesting to see what Twitter will say about it. Prepare the popcorn!
Their going either make two versions of that show most likely. Yikes. That's weird choice to do a translated/promotional anime show for the manga.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Last weekend, I noticed a ANN Article about a anime based on the IP Assault Lily Bouquet.
It's a magical girl-esque mixed media IP. What I found interesting on the IP's YouTube channel, is a couple of stop-motion vids using the dolls that are a part of the IP merch. For what they are, they're quite interesting.

Here are the links to the First, Second, and Third vids.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
ANN reports a teaser for the Eureka 7 film was just released. What crazy way to advertise, thing don't come out until 2021!

This is a trailer, but it's not in English.   Very weird from video (looks good) but looks like Mech being taken out of the growth crystal stuff that killing the planet.  Weird, since seems like ... Mech human made attacking 21st Century humans.

Looks something linked to the Eureka AO series with all the time distortions going on.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
What crazy way to advertise, thing don't come out until 2021!
They've advertised the 4th Evangelion movie since freaking 2012.  At this rate I'm not sure which will come out first, that or Girls und Panzer das Finale 6!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Register