Author Topic: A few question to ask?  (Read 3728 times)

JASON9

• Private
A few question to ask?
« on: 22 November 2016, 02:01:48 »
1. Have there been any battle between two faction (Clan and IS) on a planet and suddenly earthquake struck the battlefield?
    Any PSR to offset the lose balance of the mech?

2. How far away are the clan homeworld from the inner sphere. I have seen map that indicate that the clan homeworld are the furthest human inhabitable planets.
    Any planets that are further than the clan homeworld? Not counting the ISFT*'s homeplanet.

3. If i shot up a dam will the resulting water rush swept away my enemy's mech, battlearmor and vehicle?

*Inner Sphere Fried Tetatae

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Re: A few question to ask?
« Reply #1 on: 22 November 2016, 06:38:21 »
1. Have there been any battle between two faction (Clan and IS) on a planet and suddenly earthquake struck the battlefield?

2. How far away are the clan homeworld from the inner sphere. I have seen map that indicate that the clan homeworld are the furthest human inhabitable planets.
    Any planets that are further than the clan homeworld? Not counting the ISFT*'s homeplanet.

3. If i shot up a dam will the resulting water rush swept away my enemy's mech, battlearmor and vehicle?

In response to three: yes it was covered in one of the Archer's Avengers novels when they did exactly that IIRC, but once again away from my books so I can't check the physical rules in-game how it works.

In response to two: YES. Interstellar Ops III, gives us a huge list of planets outside the large radius of Clan worlds but no real major empires of planets, mostly abandoned worlds or small colonies. ISP3 is a good book: as far as distance goes not see on distance past.

JASON9

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 22 November 2016, 06:43:30 »
Tyler Jorgensson thanks for both the answers.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2016, 08:42:24 »
I would check TacOps for the earthquake and flood questions. I'm 95% sure the earthquake is in there, not so sure about flooding.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #4 on: 22 November 2016, 08:55:06 »
Earthquake pg 55 in tacops. Floods could be simulated by declaring a number of hexes 0 or 1 depth water. There are rules for flowing water on pg 52 if you wanted to have a raging river that had burst its banks.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #5 on: 22 November 2016, 09:37:28 »
Yeah, there are a few fluff examples of it happening . . . and the bad things for those caught in the initial flow.  Its happened for the Avengers, on Solaris and there have been numerous fluff incidents where forces fought to prevent a dam being blown.

But yeah, it would be interesting to do a 'Force 10 from Navarone' scenario.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #6 on: 22 November 2016, 11:07:05 »
In response to two: YES. Interstellar Ops III, gives us a huge list of planets outside the large radius of Clan worlds but no real major empires of planets, mostly abandoned worlds or small colonies. ISP3 is a good book: as far as distance goes not see on distance past.
clan homeworlds are not the farthest away (though that was a popular fan theory for a long while), they are just the farthest large/successful star-nation.

to give you an idea of what human colonized space looks like from ISP3, this map from Sarna.net's deep periphery page was put together by combining ISP3's maps for the deep periphery. coreward to the top.

BTW, where is your avatar from, and is there a full sized version anywhere?
« Last Edit: 22 November 2016, 11:13:04 by glitterboy2098 »

JASON9

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2016, 18:30:59 »
clan homeworlds are not the farthest away (though that was a popular fan theory for a long while), they are just the farthest large/successful star-nation.

to give you an idea of what human colonized space looks like from ISP3, this map from Sarna.net's deep periphery page was put together by combining ISP3's maps for the deep periphery. coreward to the top.

BTW, where is your avatar from, and is there a full sized version anywhere?
Can I save the map?
My Avatar if I'm not mistaken is from Japanese Battletech.
Here's the full Size I have.
« Last Edit: 22 November 2016, 18:32:43 by JASON9 »

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2016, 02:32:59 »
There is a scenario in the (apocryphal) German scenario booklet Bruderkampf where just that happens, plus lava flows. The scenario booklet is available free for download (see Sarna article) and was designed specifically as a mini-campaign for new players using nothing but the starter box set.

Earthquake rules are found in Tactical Operations, p. 55.

Nobody in-universe knows what human settlement is the farthest, nor has anyone in real life ever bothered to define that. We've got that deep periphery map from ISP3 as shown above, which is in-universe a ComStar IE document. No other faction in BattleTech would credibly know more about the deep periphery than ComStar/Word of Blake/IE, though individual factions may know a bit more about their tiny corner of the galaxy.

The catchwords "dam", "flooding" or "current" don't appear in the TacOps index. Rapids and water flow rules, which are arguably applicable to flooding following a dam breaking, are on pp. 50, 51, 59 of TacOps.

I couldn't find a BattleCorps scenario involving a dam.

In the BattleTech cartoon, there is one scene where Adam Steiner makes the Clan 'Mechs shoot at a dam, then uses his jump jets to evade the flood that sweeps away his enemies. However, the flooding isn't recreated in the scenario for this episode in the 1st Somerset Strikers sourcebook. But at least you have a canon(-ish) instance where something like this apparently happened, given that the 1st Somerset Strikers' exploits are canon at least in broad strokes.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Lboydmsw

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2016, 08:23:49 »
Rapids and water flow rules, which are arguably applicable to flooding following a dam breaking, are on pp. 50, 51, 59 of TacOps.

I think the Rapid Rules are the most appropriate after looking them over.  Depending on the formation of the enemy and who falls their piloting roll first it could lead to an interesting unit pile up.  I think I would have each unit caught in the flow after a failed piloting check take falling damage each turn that it continued to fail a piloting check to recover as an added element to kind of demonstrate the intensity of the situation.  I think that would work really well and be an exciting scenario actually.