Author Topic: Vehicle of the Week: Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun  (Read 46076 times)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Re: Vehicle of the Week: Hetzer Wheeled Assault Gun
« Reply #150 on: 06 August 2015, 18:59:42 »
Why it exist in the first place, cheap mobile gun.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #151 on: 06 August 2015, 19:01:12 »
With the scramble for equipment in the 3130s?  No, Quikscell should have been booming . . . and a Hetzer could actually have been a main combatant against some of the converted IndiMechs we saw in action (or still seeing . . . ).  Just with everything that happened in the LyrCom, who controls where it is made?  Does the League have anywhere that actually built it?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #152 on: 06 August 2015, 19:18:02 »
With the scramble for equipment in the 3130s?  No, Quikscell should have been booming . . . and a Hetzer could actually have been a main combatant against some of the converted IndiMechs we saw in action (or still seeing . . . ).  Just with everything that happened in the LyrCom, who controls where it is made?  Does the League have anywhere that actually built it?
Considering it's so cheap and been made for so long, I'm sure you can find the little tank everywhere.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #153 on: 06 August 2015, 19:23:46 »
Not asking if it is still in inventories, more about where it is made . . . and is it still being pumped out there to the open market.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #154 on: 06 August 2015, 20:08:20 »
The Quickscell Company produces them on two planets: Kalidasa, Layover. Layover was hit hard during the Jihad but it only seemed to slow down production. Kalidasa has changed hands multiple times (FWL->WoB->RotS->independent->Wolf Empire) It hasn't seem to slow down production at all though I'm not sure what the Wolfs Empire trade policies.   

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #155 on: 06 August 2015, 20:25:54 »
Hetzer is basically an IKEA tank. comes in a kit, assemble it yourself, always have parts left over. i'd be real surprised if you could mess up production enough to stop it being made.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #156 on: 06 August 2015, 20:52:42 »
Hetzers come in boxes that say "some assembly required, batteries not included."
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #157 on: 07 August 2015, 00:14:55 »
Honestly, given how cheaply the Hetzer is generally acknowledged to be built in the fiction (dubious leftover parts after assembly and all), even if Quikscell went out of business tomorrow I'm positive there'd still be other firms churning out unlicensed knockoffs and original just-about-copies (how hard can "put armored box on wheels, stick big gun out front" get for anyone already manufacturing military vehicles, anyway?) that would work out to basically identical vehicles for tabletop purposes.

Until the BT battlefield itself changes thoroughly enough to make the concept of tanks (and probably 'Mechs) itself obsolete, I'm not too worried about the basic design's future.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #158 on: 07 August 2015, 04:02:01 »
The Quickscell Company produces them on two planets: Kalidasa, Layover. Layover was hit hard during the Jihad but it only seemed to slow down production. Kalidasa has changed hands multiple times (FWL->WoB->RotS->independent->Wolf Empire) It hasn't seem to slow down production at all though I'm not sure what the Wolfs Empire trade policies.   

I don't think the Empire trades military hardware. They need everything with the rate they are aggressively expanding their Touman.

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
« Reply #159 on: 07 August 2015, 20:28:32 »
I'm going to need make a unit based on Girls and Panzers after this.

Drakensis started a fanfic based on that.  It's over on Spacebattles.  Hasn't been updated in a while unfortunately.  :'(

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #160 on: 08 August 2015, 13:42:16 »
The Hetzer is one of those designs I think we should see lots of tinkering with, we have several L1 versions that IMO should be updated . . . LB-10X for the AC/10, maybe some MMLs for the SRM version.  Especially with a FCE swap.

Do we know if they are really still being produced into the 3140s?  The only thing I can think of is the Mansu-ra FWL story bit where a single plain Hetzer tackled a Andurien lance, scoring I think two mission kills before it was wrecked.
The Colonial Tractors plant in the Fronc Reaches was churning out Hetzers after the Jihad, and with the Interstellar Arms plant in the Fronc Reaches continuing to produce Vedettes in the 3140s, I'd be surprised if Colonial Tractors wasn't also still producing Hetzers.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #161 on: 08 August 2015, 13:56:42 »
given it's quikcell, do you think the plant on Broken Wheel in the filtvelt coalition has the ability to put out Hetzers?during the Jihad it was upgraded to produce Pegasus hovertanks and Light Thunderbolt carriers, with post-jihad upgrades to also make LRM and SRM carriers, and manticores.

given how Filtvelt became a big financial center, Quikcell further expanding their broken wheel plant by 3145 might make sense.

tomaddamz

• Master Sergeant
  • EVERYBODY NEEDS AN EVIL PLAN
« Reply #162 on: 10 August 2015, 13:51:03 »
Don't  forget that the Taurian Light SRM Carrier is essentially a Hetzer with a turret, I'd say getting one or a clone should be downright easy.
Saying that because the equipment isn't up-to-the-minute, bleeding-edge tech therefore not a threat is like saying an M2 Browning isn't dangerous to modern infantry because it is 100 years old.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 10 August 2015, 14:50:37 »
Don't  forget that the Taurian Light SRM Carrier is essentially a Hetzer with a turret, I'd say getting one or a clone should be downright easy.
given that quikcell also builds the Light Thunderbolt Carrier (a light SRm carrier mounting Tbolt-5's instead of SRM's) i'd not be surprised if the light carrier uses a hetzer chassis.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #164 on: 25 March 2018, 18:52:43 »
Does the League have anywhere that actually built it?

The Kalidasa facility wasn't affected by the Jihad.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #165 on: 25 March 2018, 20:19:50 »
given that quikcell also builds the Light Thunderbolt Carrier (a light SRm carrier mounting Tbolt-5's instead of SRM's) i'd not be surprised if the light carrier uses a hetzer chassis.

Well, the Light SRM Carrier was a Canopian invention . . .
Colt Ward

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #166 on: 25 March 2018, 23:05:17 »
The Light SRM Carrier is a Taurian invention.

TR3060's writeup on the heavy LRM carrier states "When Pinard Protectorates Limited of the Taurian Concordat announces its plans to create a new "lighter" SRM carrier...."

Also the Light SRM Carrier page in the same book has Pinard as the same manufacturer.

Periphery 2nd Edition doesn't state exactly who designed the new vehicles, but TR3060 does.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #167 on: 26 March 2018, 08:57:13 »
Sorry, yeah it was the MoC's Periphery co-op program that started the actions.
Colt Ward

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #168 on: 26 March 2018, 11:59:08 »
Look - at Bovington Tank Museum they have a funky 1:1 scale Hetzer model
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"