Author Topic: MotW: Kingfisher  (Read 64356 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: MotW: Kingfisher
« Reply #180 on: 25 August 2021, 20:31:28 »
Was the Kingfisher in the KS?  I thought it got voted off.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #181 on: 25 August 2021, 21:34:11 »
It is in the kickstarter.  It's part of the Heavy Striker Star, along with the Turkina, Crossbow, Cauldron Born, and Nobori-nin.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #182 on: 26 August 2021, 02:06:35 »
I really should have picked up one of those stars.  I’m not big on the Crossbow, but the other four are all great designs that it’s hard to have too many of.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #183 on: 26 August 2021, 09:12:21 »
Hmm, mine must have been hard to see in the box as I do not remember it last night.  Going to have to look through the new ones.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #184 on: 26 August 2021, 11:13:11 »
It is in the kickstarter.  It's part of the Heavy Striker Star, along with the Turkina, Crossbow, Cauldron Born, and Nobori-nin.

This was a big must have choice for me, because I only own 1 copy of 2 of these & 0 of the other 3.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #185 on: 26 August 2021, 13:26:21 »
I really should have picked up one of those stars.  I’m not big on the Crossbow, but the other four are all great designs that it’s hard to have too many of.

This is one of the only clan stars I doubled up on. Two of my favorites, an kingfisher to go to the bears (both actually) and then the Turkina and Crossbow
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #186 on: 26 August 2021, 17:20:34 »
Part of the Kickstarters new Clan Heavy Battle Star

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #187 on: 29 August 2021, 17:56:39 »

That is a mean line up!!!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #188 on: 29 August 2021, 18:00:35 »
Four nasty mechs and a Crossbow.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #189 on: 31 August 2021, 07:03:04 »
More like three good 'Mechs and a Cauldron Born and Crossbow.   ;)
I have spoken.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #190 on: 31 August 2021, 09:25:30 »
The Cauldron-Born isn't bad, it just has some crappy configurations.  I'd take one over a Hellbringer, Mad Dog, or really any other 60 or 65 ton omni from the Invasion Era.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #191 on: 31 August 2021, 10:34:36 »
If I had to pick one of those three, I'd say the Vulture has the best configurations.

And yes, the Cauldron Born is a better chassis than than the Loki (though that's not saying much). It's just stuck with a bunch of crap configurations.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2021, 13:07:16 by Fat Guy »
I have spoken.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #192 on: 31 August 2021, 12:36:35 »
Ebon Jaguar just got a few decent configs in the RecGuide. Before that the only one that passed my sniff test was the E. It's a B-list frame that initially got d-list configs.

Crossbow is a C-list frame with C to B-list configs. It wanted to be a lighter Kingfisher but failed. Crossbow W almost got there, but not quite.

Kingfisher is a B-list frame with A-list configurations. It's always had a niche in the Can arsenals it has filled well for competitive BV. The RecGuide versions continued the trend. I'm a bit leery about the amount of explodium in the torsos of the G, however.
« Last Edit: 31 August 2021, 12:38:44 by Greatclub »

Fat Guy

• Major
« Reply #193 on: 31 August 2021, 13:11:42 »
Kingfisher is a B-list frame with A-list configurations. It's always had a niche in the Can arsenals it has filled well for competitive BV.

That sums it up pretty well. And with it's Kickstarter facelift, it now looks good too.
I have spoken.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #194 on: 31 August 2021, 13:21:27 »
Ebon Jaguar just got a few decent configs in the RecGuide. Before that the only one that passed my sniff test was the E. It's a B-list frame that initially got d-list configs.
Wait, WHAT?
How is an XL, Endo, FF design a B-List Frame?
Its a T-Wolf at 10 tons lighter or a Storm Crow at 10 tons heavier.
As for Pods, I won't defend those other than to say the 'A' is my default, if I'm running an Ebon Jag, its going to be the A model.
You'll accept all my ERLL Sniping & be happy about it, or, you'll deal w/ my Ultra-20 when you close in.

Crossbow is a C-list frame with C to B-list configs. It wanted to be a lighter Kingfisher but failed. Crossbow W almost got there, but not quite.
Logistically, its nice to have an Omni that requires ZERO advanced construction techniques, but in turn, the pod space fails.
That said the USE of the Pod Space is pretty good.
Clan LRMs, Clan Streaks,  Clan LRMs/Streaks/MPLs,  what is there to complain about?
Short of mounting a pair of Clan LPL cheese you can't get much more efficient than the above choices.

Kingfisher is a B-list frame with A-list configurations. It's always had a niche in the Can arsenals it has filled well for competitive BV.
I can't disagree there, the huge engine tonnage limits the # of guns which in turn limits the amount of BV it can be.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #195 on: 31 August 2021, 14:28:22 »
Crossbow would have been better at 4/6, then you had more space for the pods.

IIRC, the Cauldron Born has armor placement concerns.

And the best Clan 65 tonner before the Dark Ages is the Arcas, period.
Colt Ward

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #196 on: 31 August 2021, 14:40:36 »
Wait, WHAT?
Armor. Ebon Jag fails to take a double PPC hit on any limb. A ton [edit - half ton] more armor or placement a bit different and it would be a-list

{crossbow}That said the USE of the Pod Space is pretty good.
My problem is, again, armor. It fails the double tap test on its side torsos, which are typically wide caverns ready to pass crits into the center. Weapons are good, but the kill-me spot is almost as bad or worse than a clan XL in all but a couple configs.

« Last Edit: 02 September 2021, 05:55:04 by Greatclub »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #197 on: 31 August 2021, 16:01:50 »
And the best Clan 65 tonner before the Dark Ages is the Arcas, period.

No argument, but it's not an omnimech.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #198 on: 31 August 2021, 16:06:22 »
When you are the best, do you really need to be Omni?  Speed, mobility, armor, ranged firepower, accurate firepower, and crit-seeking . . .
Colt Ward

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #199 on: 31 August 2021, 16:31:35 »
That sums it up pretty well. And with it's Kickstarter facelift, it now looks good too.

I an excited for the new mini! It looks like a slab metal
That will take a beating a d dish one out!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #200 on: 31 August 2021, 16:52:07 »
Crossbow would have been better at 4/6, then you had more space for the pods.
No disagreement there.
That would have been a solid way to build an otherwise "introtech" Omni.

Armor. Ebon Jag fails to take a double PPC hit on any limb. A ton more armor or placement a bit different and it would be a-list
My problem is, again, armor. It fails the double tap test on its side torsos, which are typically wide caverns ready to pass crits into the center. Weapons are good, but the kill-me spot is almost as bad or worse than a clan XL in all but a couple configs.
I can't slight a mech for being 17/20 on the Arms though I will give you the legs should be a bit more at 19/30.
Shaving just a point from Side Torsos-22 to Legs would have fixed that issue.

For the Crossbow, this must be a serious allocation issue because I'm pretty sure its close to max.  Crossbow has 12 tons of armor? 

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #201 on: 31 August 2021, 17:36:37 »
12 tons of armor. Legs have 26, side torso have 18/9.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #202 on: 01 September 2021, 00:52:35 »
12 tons of armor. Legs have 26, side torso have 18/9.

Ideally that would be 25 + 20/8 for nice pretty matching common damage #s.
But its not as bad as I thought it might be.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #203 on: 01 September 2021, 00:55:03 »
The Ebon Jaguar F is a supreme being and its not-maxed armor is fine especially since its competition is the Hellbringer that it is an inarguable upgrade from.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #204 on: 01 September 2021, 12:19:35 »
The Ebon Jaguar F is a supreme being and its not-maxed armor is fine especially since its competition is the Hellbringer that it is an inarguable upgrade from.
I have not heard of it, but, after just checking Sarna, yeah, I can't disagree, that is a good one too.
I'd probably switch to that from the A in a Post-Invasion timeline where ATMs are available.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #205 on: 01 September 2021, 20:34:18 »
I have not heard of it, but, after just checking Sarna, yeah, I can't disagree, that is a good one too.
I'd probably switch to that from the A in a Post-Invasion timeline where ATMs are available.

It’s a “new” Rec guide one.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #206 on: 05 September 2021, 17:17:45 »
So I played the ‘I’ variant in a 3v3 last night on the new Kozice Valley map. Performed pretty well: same zombie self and ram as cold as a freezer (until it took two plasma shots in one turn). Game was short so I didn’t get a chance to test its ammo endurance, but took enough of a Dire Wolfs fire and nothing went internal after two volleys so I’m happy with it.

Register