Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: EXT-** Exterminator (updated Oct. 25th)  (Read 21082 times)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
If you got something to say about my writing, don't. I don't care to hear it, and it isn't relevant to others. Talk about the 'Mech. Thanks.

The Exterminator. One of the 'Mechs introduced in Technical Readout: 2750. The TRO is undoubtedly one of the most important ever in BattleTech, but within the context of the TRO, the Exterminator isn't really noteworthy at a glance, possessing little advanced technology and relatively low firepower for its size (YMMV, my views are colored by how commonplace advanced tech is nowadays, maybe it was different back in '89). But its fluff laid down some interesting foundation for future tech, and the 'Mech itself is a bit more surprising than it looks.

The original Exterminator was made by General Systems and debuted in 2630, with one variant. The EXT-4D is the common Exterminator, designed to be a headhunter 'Mech and was reserved to the SLDF's use in both regular and Royal regiments.
The variant, EXT-4C, is functionally identical with a couple of additions that make it something special, and it is arguably the real main model with EXT-4D being just a variant. The special additions are highly advanced stealth systems: Null-Signature System for masking the 'Mech's electronic and heat signatures, and Chameleon Light Polarization Shield for making the 'Mech nigh invisible to naked eye, first real stealth systems ever to be mounted in any 'Mech. The EXT-4C was reserved to Royal regiments only, and most likely wasn't common even among them given its nature.
Interestingly, the original fluff in TRO2750 describes the 'Mech as having ECM systems but it does not mount the Guardian ECM introduced in the book. I wonder if it did have a Guardian ECM originally, the art does not show anything that could be described as an AMS and a Guardian would fit into the same space and mass. Also, the description implies the stealth systems are a standard feature in the 'Mech, perhaps they were intended to be fluff-only things originally to emphasize the Star League's high technology, or give ideas to the players.

But, the EXT-4C's stealth systems aside, the 'Mech is relatively... well, unremarkable. It does possess impressive speed and jump capability for its size with 6/9/6 movement curve, something not really possible without XL Fusion Engines. Indeed I suspect the 'Mech was designed in real world to showcase what the XL Engine could allow. Unfortunately at 65 tons, the speed is rather wasteful, dropping the 'Mech's weight down to 60 tons would've saved two tons and even more so at 55-tons with little loss of capability, though at 65-tons the Exterminator has stronger internal structure at least. The engine comes with ten Double Heat Sinks, adequate for its armament.
The only other piece of then-advanced technology is a single Anti-Missile System with a ton of ammo. With 10.5 tons of armor, about 80% of maximum, I can't help but wonder if another 1.5 tons of armor wouldn't have been better use of the tonnage, especially given the pre-Total Warfare AMS rules. Still, in light of the stealth systems in the EXT-4C and their slot requirements, there is a method to this as the AMS can reduce amount of SRM crits and thus keep the 'Mech stealthed a bit longer perhaps. The armor itself is distributed quite evenly, with relatively low (21 points) center torso armor being noteworthy, and the legs are a tad on the weak side since a single AC/20 round will damage internal structure. Overall the armor compares favorably to the Dragon DRG-1N, and isn't too different from the contemporary Warhammers and Marauders, and with excellent speed the Exterminator will be hard to hit even without stealth devices.
The Exterminator is intended to be a headhunter, killing enemy command 'Mechs. For this purpose, its armament feels rather lackluster, with merely four Medium Lasers mounted in the arms, one Small Laser in the head, and a LRM-10 in the left torso with its single ton of ammo mounted in the center torso. The ammo location is a bit worrying but the usual "most protected location, most crit padding" applies, and given the nature of the 'Mech, the ammo can function as an insurance to make sure nothing is left of the 'Mech should it be destroyed.

So, in the end, we have over-engined or over-sized cavalry 'Mech with armament better suited to a high-end light or low-end medium, and it is intended to kill command 'Mechs? How does that work?
First, I will note that I suspect the idea of it being a 'Mech killer is colored by post-Succession Wars thinking. It is highly likely enemy command uses a Mobile HQ or a command post, and for destroying those, the Exterminator has more than adequate armament, and its speed and armor allow it to conduct hit and run attacks relatively safely, and this is without counting the EXT-4C's stealth systems.
Otherwise, I think the 'Mech is intended to work in groups really. TRO2750 talks about the 'Mech being often pulled from regiments (that might have perhaps one Exterminator) to do missions at brigade or divisional level, logically this implies they'd be used in ad-hoc lances or larger units to hunt down enemy commanders. And given the mobility of the Exterminator is quite well suited to this task. The LRMs can be used to lay down smoke screens or to weaken enemy during approach, and once the Exterminators are close, they would jump over the target and fire their lasers to its weak back. This way an enemy can be taken down quickly, and the the Exterminators will then run away. Their size is an advantage here, with sturdy internal structure the Exterminators are likely to survive even if their armor is breached.
The EXT-4C is not different from its common version except it requires careful heat management due to heat generated by the stealth systems. But the rewards are well worth it, though you will want to disable the stealth systems once in close combat.

There is one other Star League-era variant, the Royal Exterminator, debuting in 2718.
The EXT-4Db doesn't possess stealth systems, instead it upgrades the internal structure to Endo-Steel, upgrades armor to 13 tons of standard plate, adds one Double Heat Sink, and replaces all weapons and equipment. The 'Mech now has two Medium Lasers in each torso location, a Small Laser in the head, and an ER Large Laser in the right arm.
This variant is a brawler, pure and simple. The ER Large Laser is used to poke at the enemy from distance, but the clear intent is to close in for a Medium Laser barrage, and perhaps a couple of punches or a kick. I'm not normally a fan of Royal upgrades that modify the style of the original but this one works pretty well. Heat may be a concern, but without anything explosive aboard, there is little danger in some overheating.

The Exterminator certainly developed a reputation. Of those left behind during the Exodus, few survived among the ComStar's stockpiles, and the rest were destroyed during the First Succession War, with each House having dedicated lances for hunting the headhunters. Talk about irony.
Among the Clans, the Exterminator EXT-4C was removed from service due to its stealth systems (they don't fit the Clan honor), the Royal Exterminator seems to have been all used up, but the EXT-4D did survive among their second-line forces until the Jihad and the Wars of Reaving, with the final examples presumably being destroyed in those conflicts.

2819 Addendum:
The Clan Jade Falcon also experimented with upgraded Exterminator, the EXT-4Db-EC ("Early Clan"), based on the Royal model. Two Medium Lasers are removed and the rest are upgraded to Clan Prototype ER Medium Lasers, the kind that are equal in performance to the Inner Sphere ERMLs of 3060s but weight 1.5 tons. I do not think the gained range is worth the firepower loss and heat issues, though TRO Golden Century indicates Jade Falcon duelists appreciated the change. But this variant was quite short-lived, by turn of the century, none were around anymore.

Still, the Succession Wars weren't the end of the line in the Inner Sphere. The design saw a rebirth, or, well, a stillborn rebirth. In 3007, Kallon Industries within the Free World League recovered the Exterminator's blueprints and put the design back into production with some modifications due to lack of advanced technologies.
The EXT-4A, as the variant was dubbed, is surprisingly similar to its progenitor. Its engine was downgraded to 325-rated VOX Fusion Engine, reducing the mobility to 5/8/5. The AMS was replaced with a Machine Gun with a ton of ammo, a dubious replacement if there ever was one, but the MG can be of some use during the Succession Wars. The armament is identical to the original's, and armor level was actually increased slightly. The weakness here is just ten standard single heat sinks, but difficult heat management isn't that unusual during the Succession Wars and the heat is relatively easy to control here anyway.
This variant ended up being very short lived though. On paper, that seems a bit odd, since the EXT-4A isn't too bad introductory level design. A bit under-gunned but pretty good brawler (four Medium Lasers and a 14-point kick aren't fun to deal with) with good armor for its time. The real reason seems to be marketing: the Kallon Industries billed the 'Mech as a replacement to the Wolverine. The Wolverine, in the Free World League, the realm of Wolverine WVR-6M. Only two production runs were made, and by 3062 the EXT-4A had vanished from the Free World League's forces.

As noted, the design did survive among the ComStar (presumably in form of EXT-4D only in practice). The ComStar gifted some of their EXT-4D Exterminators to the Draconis Combine before the War of '39, and after the Schism, the Word of Blake fielded the design as well.

In 3062, the ComStar debuted an upgraded form of the Exterminator, the EXT-4E, fielding a new piece of technology: the iNarc. I like the Narc beacon myself, much more so than Artemis IV, and on paper the iNarc is quite nice upgrade though unfortunately its size and weight and faction-association make it a rare piece of tech. Here, the iNarc replaces the LRM launcher, and is fed by four tons of ammo from the right torso. No CASE, which is a bit worrying, so I recommend using the Narc aggressively. Besides, it got lovely ammo options such as Nemesis pods...
Otherwise, the EXT-4E uses Endo-Steel skeleton and 13 tons of armor. The Medium Lasers are upgraded to ER types, and the Small Laser was dropped and the ComStar/WoB standard Improved C3 Computer was added to center torso. The final change is an interesting one: the 'Mech trades jump jets for MASC. It is an interesting trade, offering heat-free movement boost but not as much flexibility as jump jets. Very good choice in open terrain but less favorable in urban or hilly terrain. I've never been big on jump jets, so I do like the MASC option a tad more.
The role of the EXT-4E is no longer headhunting, instead it is primarily an iNarc support for Level IIs, running around and tagging enemies. It is perhaps a bit heavy for the task, but then again it is survivable platform for the task.

The battlefields of the Jihad were often filled with electronic warfare, hurting utility of Narc beacons, and this may be part of the reason for the EXT-4F refit developed by the ComStar. The iNarc itself is replaced with a MML-7 with two tons of ammo, while the lasers were replaced with a Light PPC in each arm, and one ER Small Laser was added to the head.
These changes turn the EXT-4F into a light fire-support and cavalry 'Mech. Run around the enemy and poke it with LRMs and Light PPCs, with SRMs to discourage enemies from closing in or used to finish off damaged enemy. The damage output is not impressive but that has never been the Exterminator's forte. I'm not a fan, but I can see why someone might like this.

The one final Exterminator variant is merely a prototype, if any were ever even built.
The EXT-6CS is a melding of the EXT-4C and EXT-4F. The CPLS and NSS are once again used, though I wonder about their source. Are they pulled from Inner Sphere's very, very limited stockpiles of surviving examples or pulled from very few Spectors or possibly surviving EXT-4Cs? The systems themselves are not really reintroduced until well after the Jihad, and even then they're exceedingly rare.
In any case, otherwise the EXT-6CS is largely like the EXT-4F. The MASC and C3i computers are pulled (the latter being unusable with Null-Signature System), with the weight spent on a pair of Medium Pulse Lasers, an extra ton of MML-7 ammo, and an experimental CASE II.
The XTRO: ComStar description derides the design lacking either MASC or jump jets, and I have to say i agree. At 65-tons, if you're going for mobility, then go all the way or don't bother. The combination of stealth systems and the armament as it is doesn't really impress either, being unsuitable for neither effective long range work nor effective close range work. Only 10 Double Heat Sinks doesn't help either, given the stealth systems heat generation. Still, it is a prototype and with tweaks could be made to work. Only, the Exterminator's story is exterminated here.

The Jihad and the Wars of Reaving weren't kind to the Exterminator. None have seemingly survived, and if there are any, those undoubtedly bear the stigma of being used by the Word of Blake, along with its earlier reputation as a stealthy headhunter.
I will miss it, it is quite unique with its introduction of 'Mech stealth, and it always looked pretty good with its mix of sharp and curved lines. It is an interesting 'Mech with its flaws, stealth systems and fluff.

3148 Addendum:
The Exterminator is saved from extermination. A new model, the EXT-7X, marched out from unknown source in 3148, presented in Recognition Guide Volume 14 and utilized for headhunting as the design has always been meant to. Master Unit List currently places it as the Republic of the Sphere design, though its RG entry speculates on other possibilities (basically every other Great House but the Lyran Commonwealth).
This version is the first Exterminator to utilize Stealth Armor, almost maximum the chassis can carry actually, but also makes some quite radical changes. Let's start with the mobility: It is slower with 5/8[10]/5 movement curve, courtesy of 325-rated XXL engine with Supercharger. Yes, the big, vulnerable, heat-bleeding, super-expensive type (total cost of the EXT-7X is just shy of 60 million C-bills). And despite the though shell of armor, the internal structure is fragile Composite type in order to free space and more mass. The Guardian ECM for powering the armor is located in the right arm, and for added defenses (and adding to heat-woes) a Laser Anti-Missile System is used. Cooling is handled by 13 engine-mounted double heat sinks, and a single Coolant Pod located in the right arm for one-time 50% cooling increase. As firepower goes, quadruple Medium Variable Speed Pulse Lasers, an ER Small Laser and MRM-10 (1 ton of ammo) make this the most powerful Exterminator there is, though only at very close range.
The end result is tricky to use. Let's review the XXL engine first: Standing still generates 2 points of heat, walking generates 4, running  6, and jumping generates 2 per hex moved with minimum of 6 heat. Using the Stealth Armor and running means you're generating 16 points of heat before weapons fire, while heat capacity is 26 points. Using the LAMS adds 7 heat. Weapons add up to 34 heat. It is almost certainly necessary to disable the Stealth Armor just before the turn you know you'll be engaging the enemy or one will risk extensive overheating. Jumping into combat is ill-advised because 5 hex jump is 10 heat, it is better to use the Supercharge to close in on the enemy and jump jets to escape. It can be made to work, but it needs thinking and planning forward, or perhaps a suicidal pilot who doesn't mind running close to redline constantly. (If there's a 'Mech that really needs the Radical Heat Sink system, it is this. Alas, the RHS is not part of BattleMech Manual and is not really featured in the Recognition Guide series.)
On the positive note, this Exterminator costs only just under 1700 BV. For a heavy (60t+) Stealth 'Mech, it is among the cheapest options. Then again, it is something of a brawler (skirmisher officially), where most Stealth Mechs are snipers. The closes comparisons I can think of are the Thunder 2L at 1950 BV, and the Shen Yi 5B which uses a mixture of lasers and MRM-20s at 1600 BV.
The variant leaves me with mixed feelings. On one hand, I like the battery of MVSPLs for close combat and headhunting. On the other hand, the EXT-7X tries too much at once and makes questionable decisions. Using a rocket launcher instead of the useless MRM-10 would've allowed for additional cooling, and/or perhaps a TAG in place of the small laser for calling in artillery strikes if the target needs to leveled fast. The XXL engine could be done away with some modest changes even while retaining the MVSPLs.
I am interested to hear what people think of the design.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2021, 14:03:09 by Empyrus »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: 'Mech of the Week: EXT-** Exterminator
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2018, 20:06:13 »
Nice detailed article, Empyrus!  Nice see this old guy fleshed out with new article.

Exterminator was kinda mystery machine in sense, 2750 didn't include where what went, but now that' settled.  Was there ever fixed record sheet for the C model?    I have to say, i would imagine this guy would be used in teams vs a lone mech sneaking up on a enemy commander's machine.  I'd think a lance of these guys would be necessary.   

I wasn't happy about the design briefly being resurrected to fill in for newly unseen Wolverine for the revised 3025 book.  Still having more variants was nice.  Jihad variants were good upgrades, though lack of Jump Jets is bad.

When the FedCom Civil War novels came out, i was little confused why Demi-Precentor Rudolf Shakov was piloting his own Exterminator wasn't using stealth systems.  This was before i knew it was just a D variant machine, which in later books it was upgraded to a E model.

Thanks for great article!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2018, 20:16:39 »
I have to say, i would imagine this guy would be used in teams vs a lone mech sneaking up on a enemy commander's machine.  I'd think a lance of these guys would be necessary.   
Yeah, using multiple Exterminators at once is more likely than them being solo. But i think a solo Exterminator has a chance even so, assuming it is a "duel" with no interference from others. With 6 jump, one can keep jump around the enemy, keep in their rear. This does depend on the target on being slow enough though.
But let's imagine an Exterminator vs Marauder (a typical command 'Mech) fight. Once the Exterminator is close, the Marauder cannot move fast enough to avoid presenting its back to the Exterminator. This should actually work against any 'Mechs with 4/6 movement or slower. At 65 tons and its armor level, the Exterminator is sufficiently sturdy to approach head-on a typical command 'Mechs of the Star League era without getting destroyed. Ideally you'll sneak around but if you can't...
Of course, fights don't exist in a vacuum, but the potential is there.
I wasn't happy about the design briefly being resurrected to fill in for newly unseen Wolverine for the revised 3025 book.  Still having more variants was nice. 
Oh, i figured there was something i didn't realize about the EXT-4A, i completely forgot it was there to "replace" the Wolverine (never had TRO3025R). Also makes the pre-Civil War vanishing of this kinda... well, appropriate, given that the Project Phoenix Wolverine would become available around that time. Kinda meta-thing.
Jihad variants were good upgrades, though lack of Jump Jets is bad.
I don't mind lack of jump jets since they have MASC. I most certainly wouldn't have liked the the thing having both MASC and jump jets, that is one thing i don't like at all despite the extra options it gives 'Mechs.
« Last Edit: 08 April 2018, 20:18:37 by Empyrus »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2018, 21:23:36 »
The SLDF liked mechs with big engines (the Banshee, Charger, Spartan, Lancelot)

I didn't really see anything special about the Exterminator that would make it live up to it's name until the introduction to the Chameleon Light Polarization Shield, can more easily see it as a assassination machine after that though it still lacks the punch to make it scary if your in a mech vs a mobile command vehicle. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2018, 21:30:16 »
Good point, the SLDF liking large engines. Someone's overcompensating, me thinks. Probably part of the military-industrial complex of the Star League and Terran Hegemony, perhaps mixed with some flawed Lyran-like thinking that "bigger is better".

I figure the Exterminator not "living up to its name" is perhaps a feature in a sense. If you know its armament (but not its purpose), it doesn't feel like a priority target, does it? Yet the truth is, very few 'Mechs can take few Medium Lasers in their backs and not feel it.
It isn't that different from the usual backstabbers... except the Exterminator can't be put down like a Jenner or a Locust can be.
YMMV if that's worth the BV though. It is pretty expensive for its purpose.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2018, 22:49:38 »
Think the SLDF put a high value on mobility and blitzkrieg tactics (thus their love of LAMs) until Kerensky started ordering big guns like the Atlas and King Crab for shock and awe.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2018, 22:58:52 »
Just another form of overcompensating, that Kerensky line of 'Mech design...

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2018, 23:19:03 »
The SL was trying to run the known universe, overcompensating is expected. 

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2018, 23:28:50 »
If you make the assumption that's it's meant to hunt down Mobile HQs and Command Vans, then it's speed and armament makes sense. Fast enough to penetrate enemy lines, while carrying enough firepower to blow up the enemy command vehicles before the enemy CO can get into his 'Mech.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #9 on: 08 April 2018, 23:41:57 »
I am a huge fan of the EXT-4A, despite the oddities of its single MG.  I freely admit to wanting to swap to a flamer there, though, and a large laser in place of the LRMs has its merits.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 09 April 2018, 01:41:55 »
For me i always found using a lone LRM-10 (one of the worst of the LRMS IMO) as its token long range weapon, rather stupid..  however the 4 ML's is a solid close in punch..  I also agree a 6/9/6 movement profile on a 65 tonner, is odd, as it jacks up the engine size (and thus weight, so the heavier mech doesn't gain much from it)..  a 60 tonner would have been better or even a 55 for the role.. 

That said, nice article.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #11 on: 09 April 2018, 10:32:36 »
Yeah, using multiple Exterminators at once is more likely than them being solo. But i think a solo Exterminator has a chance even so, assuming it is a "duel" with no interference from others. With 6 jump, one can keep jump around the enemy, keep in their rear. This does depend on the target on being slow enough though.
But let's imagine an Exterminator vs Marauder (a typical command 'Mech) fight. Once the Exterminator is close, the Marauder cannot move fast enough to avoid presenting its back to the Exterminator. This should actually work against any 'Mechs with 4/6 movement or slower. At 65 tons and its armor level, the Exterminator is sufficiently sturdy to approach head-on a typical command 'Mechs of the Star League era without getting destroyed. Ideally you'll sneak around but if you can't...

Can the Marauder flip arms like the Rifleman? That would make your fight a little more even handed, but you're still dealing with weak back armor. *shrug*
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 09 April 2018, 11:05:14 »
Can the Marauder flip arms like the Rifleman? That would make your fight a little more even handed, but you're still dealing with weak back armor. *shrug*
The Marauder can't. But even if it could, it has minimum range for its PPCs, unless we're talking about the 2R variant with its ERPPCs. A pair of Medium Lasers vs the Exterminator's front armor isn't too worrying.

The Rifleman, JagerMech, and Catapult would belong to the 'Mechs against whom this tactic isn't ideal BUT since those are fire-support 'Mechs, they are rarely command 'Mechs and have weak armor anyway so this is a moot point more or less.

Off-hand, i can't name any likely command 'Mechs during the Star League era that can flip their arms. Not saying they don't exists, just that they probably aren't common.

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 09 April 2018, 11:25:22 »
The oversized engine is easily explained: It had "stealth systems" - the intent was almost certainly that it should have some kind of stealth bonus, but it was never added.

FASA was big on using inefficient weight/speed combos to "pay for" special bonuses (Quickdraw, Stealth, Cyclops) or simulating primitive design (Banshee).

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 09 April 2018, 15:40:34 »
The oversized engine is easily explained: It had "stealth systems" - the intent was almost certainly that it should have some kind of stealth bonus, but it was never added.

And i was shocked they never did a canon version with stealth armor.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 09 April 2018, 16:31:01 »
And i was shocked they never did a canon version with stealth armor.
Unfortunately, this is undoubtedly because the Capellans never fielded the design in the 3060s, and by the time Stealth Armor tech had spread around, the Exterminator is a dead design. No one is building more, so...

My surprise was directed at no Void Signature System-equipped WoB variant. It isn't like NSS and CLPS in function and a fast platform is not perhaps that good place for it, but it would have been so thematically fitting. Alternatively the Republic of the Sphere could've resurrected the design as a Void Signature headhunter, though i guess the Raptor II took over this role for both factions.

I did throw together custom variants for both systems in the custom designs section.

Getz

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #16 on: 09 April 2018, 18:12:17 »
I've been maintaining an Exterminator 4A in an AToW game that started in the 3040s

I have a friend who is not at all familiar with the setting but she liked the idea of having a big, aggressive physical brawler so (in part because the GM had restricted us to a maximum of 65 tons) I suggested the Exterminator 4A might fit the bill.  We fluffed it as being (as far as we knew) quite possibly the last one left anywhere in the Inner-sphere and mildly refitted it by pulling the Machine gun out for a flamer.

As time has gone by the thing has slowly morphed into a completely different machine.  First we split the LRM into two five racks and moved them to the arms while moving the Medium lasers into the torsos and fitting an extra heat sink to make it better at physical combat.  Since then it's received double heat sinks, an XL Engine, more armour, pulse lasers, CASE and an ER Large Laser where the flamer used to be.

We're fighting through the Clan invasion now and the poor thing really doesn't resemble an Exterminator on paper any more, but it's a pretty good machine it it's own right.
« Last Edit: 09 April 2018, 19:04:42 by Getz »

I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, so I'm here for the hell of it now...

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 09 April 2018, 18:48:04 »
There is also a version from OP Klondike with the six mediums and ER Large that is still a 6/9/6 and 11 DHS

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 09 April 2018, 18:50:36 »
There is also a version from OP Klondike with the six mediums and ER Large that is still a 6/9/6 and 11 DHS
It is the Royal Exterminator.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 09 April 2018, 21:22:51 »
My mistake... read a bit too fast and skipped that section...

Continue on.... nothing to see here....

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 09 April 2018, 23:28:04 »

Even 11 doubles, that beast is gonna be toasty on an alpha strike + jump!  36 heat possible generated from move + fire, with only 22 dissapated..

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #21 on: 09 April 2018, 23:34:22 »
The EXT-4Db seems almost like a retcon of sorts. TRO:2750 has some notorious stinkers and the EXT-4D is actually one of them. It's a "stealth" 'Mech with no stealth. Worse yet, its main armament is a smoke-billowing rack of missiles -- You know, the PERFECT thing you need to sneak up on someone. :-\
The -4Db and its armament actually fits the description of being able to assassinate just about any command 'Mech, short of a KGC or something similarly armored. It feels to me like the 'Mech, were it designed in the modern day of heavy play testing, would have had an ER Large, array of Medium Lasers, and a Guardian ECM in lieu of the worthless Anti-Missile System.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #22 on: 10 April 2018, 07:56:05 »
The -4Db and its armament actually fits the description of being able to assassinate just about any command 'Mech, short of a KGC or something similarly armored. It feels to me like the 'Mech, were it designed in the modern day of heavy play testing, would have had an ER Large, array of Medium Lasers, and a Guardian ECM in lieu of the worthless Anti-Missile System.
Maybe a MASC system to quickly close in with the commander's ride. I'd expect pulse lasers for close in work. Yes, IS pulses suck, but they inflict more damage and are more likely to hit so the commander is going down faster.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 10 April 2018, 11:57:15 »
Maybe a MASC system to quickly close in with the commander's ride. I'd expect pulse lasers for close in work. Yes, IS pulses suck, but they inflict more damage and are more likely to hit so the commander is going down faster.

True, a quartet of medium pulses around a large pulse, can often put a decent hurting on any mech..

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 10 April 2018, 12:17:00 »
That might just about fit the Exterminator but not sure it is an improvement over 6/9/6 with 6xML and 1xERLL, if we're comparing to the Royal Exterminator.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #25 on: 10 April 2018, 12:22:17 »
6 x Medium Lasers
1 x ER Large Laser
1 x Guardian ECM Suite
10 x DHS

Strip out the Small Laser and 0.5 tons of armor. Now it can "exterminate."
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 10 April 2018, 13:27:20 »
The SLDF liked mechs with big engines (the Banshee, Charger, Spartan, Lancelot)

I didn't really see anything special about the Exterminator that would make it live up to it's name until the introduction to the Chameleon Light Polarization Shield, can more easily see it as a assassination machine after that though it still lacks the punch to make it scary if your in a mech vs a mobile command vehicle.
While not exactly a descendant, the Raptor II is a bit of convergent evolution. A quick, stealthy headhunter, also not exactly well armed. Although the Void Sig means it is more of an ambush predator rather than a cavalry mech, that counts on null sig and CLPS to get it into operational range.
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
« Reply #27 on: 10 April 2018, 17:30:26 »
Everyone's forgetting about the Exterminator Caine  8)
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 10 April 2018, 17:34:36 »
What about the pest exterminator!   A lighter version designed to hunt down wasps, locusts, and the like..

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #29 on: 10 April 2018, 17:36:23 »
Waitaminute...in a lot of ways, isn't the EXT-4A a lot like a faster, slightly smaller Grasshopper, or overweight Quickdraw?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Register