Author Topic: Looking for Advice: Paint Stripping  (Read 1467 times)

Rogue Two

• Recruit
Looking for Advice: Paint Stripping
« on: 04 September 2018, 11:42:22 »
Hello all. I just recently dug up a whole bunch of my trusty old miniatures to start playing more Battletech and am looking to get rid of the layers upon layers of primer and paint that I threw on them as a kid.  xp

I've seen suggestions from alcohol and a toothbrush to Simple Green, but was wondering if anyone here had any other thoughts or successes with stripping the paint from your mechs.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Re: Looking for Advice: Paint Stripping
« Reply #1 on: 04 September 2018, 12:06:46 »
Oh hell Ya.

Put in Simple green.

Soak for a bit, use toothbrush to remove 90%, then soak even more. I think I left some minis in the SIMPLE GREEN for a month and came out shiny and clean, no paint anywhere.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 04 September 2018, 16:37:59 »
Oven cleaner also works. Seek the old, eco-unfriendly types (eg. Easy Off in Australia). Don't use the nose-friendly ones; they're not strong enough to work well.

Wide-mouth salsa jar. Spray a layer on the bottom. Add a few minis. Spray again. Repeat if needed. Put lid on. Shake to make sure all surfaces are coated.

Let sit for 2 hours to a week (if you forget). It won't damage plastic or resin minis. Most glues will become brittle, or fail completely (in the week situation). You may get some surface discolouration on the mini, but this doesn't affect the surface.

Open jar in a laundry trough. Rinse thoroughly with water until paint bits stop coming out.Be careful not to wash any (now loose) mini bits out as well, or have a sink trap (recommended) to catch them if they do. Then scrub minis with water & an old toothbrush to get the last bits of paint out.

Occasionally, some paints don't want to come off. Repeat. If that doesn't move the paint, it'll "denature" it. It's then amazing what you can do with a cheap $20 imitation Dremel with the brass brush.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Rogue Two

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 04 September 2018, 17:40:27 »
Thanks to both of you!

Exilyth

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2018, 09:23:10 »
Something to be aware of in case you try to strip plastic minis is that
acetone + polystyrene = melting minis!

I Found a great video on youtube testing different paint and paint stripping combinations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqBjt1wKZfc
« Last Edit: 03 April 2019, 11:33:56 by Exilyth »
"Wife, in honor of our marriage, in addition to this morsel I give you a vast prize. My love, I give you the Capellan Confederation!" - Hanse Davion to Melissa Steiner-Davion at their wedding reception, sparking the Fourth Succession War, August 20, 3028

Register