Author Topic: Campaign GM: tips and tricks and recommendations  (Read 1354 times)

abou

• Captain
Campaign GM: tips and tricks and recommendations
« on: 30 April 2023, 12:02:55 »
I am going to start GMing a campaign set in the SW era. If things go well, we might grow and advance along the timeline. I already plan on including the Maintenance & Repair rules, but what others are recommended?

The group is intermediate to advanced in their skill level. I imagine some of the advanced rules in TacOps are handy and seem easy to incorporate on the fly - eg. Today the map has swamp hexes. It is just all the other stuff that might bring a lot of flavor and variety, but I don't want to bog things down either.

So I appeal to the veterans to guide me here.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Campaign GM: tips and tricks and recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 30 April 2023, 13:07:31 »
For an enduring campaign like that, I'd definitely use AToW for at least the PCs (personally, I'd do all the NPCs too).

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2023, 13:56:58 »
Regardless of the actual ruleset being used, I would mentally prepare for taking on the bulk of the administrative and maintenance load/details yourself. The players should be involved in many of the decisions, but the actual bookkeeping seems to be an item of discontent for many players, especially for casual ones (or a lot of role-players).
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 30 April 2023, 14:03:49 »
Seconded on that score too!  :thumbsup:

abou

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 04 May 2023, 21:06:21 »
Yeah, I am debating just how I want to proceed. Part of me is debating letting them be mercenaries and then using the Chaos Campaign.

The other part of me says we are better off just making them a house unit and relying on the difficulties of the maintenance rules alone to provide sufficient challenge.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 04 May 2023, 21:08:27 »
If you want any help making characters, just let me know!  :thumbsup:

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2023, 10:00:28 »
Yeah, I am debating just how I want to proceed. Part of me is debating letting them be mercenaries and then using the Chaos Campaign.

The other part of me says we are better off just making them a house unit and relying on the difficulties of the maintenance rules alone to provide sufficient challenge.

I recommend the latter. Establishing a merc unit is fun and opens up more creative doors. But, IME, the GM needs to "Monty Hall" much of the logistics in order to keep things entertaining.

Running as a House unit takes pressure off of the GM in this aspect.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2023, 10:27:26 »
Running as a House unit takes pressure off of the GM in this aspect.

Unless its thematically relevant of course. House units could have plenty of supply problems on an extended campaign and the enemy does get a choice.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2023, 10:46:45 »
Unless its thematically relevant of course. House units could have plenty of supply problems on an extended campaign and the enemy does get a choice.

Or they are a unit that's pissed off the local lord so materiel shipping is lousy.

We're doing a guerilla campaign right now because the House lost air superiority.  That means that replacement equipment is literally only what we brought with us. 

And that doesn't even consider replacement of parts that are pretty much impossible to find in our setting without shipping issues, like for a damaged DHS in 3030's Confederation.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 05 May 2023, 15:29:26 »
Are you asking for things to do TO the PCs . . .

. . . or ways to make things simpler as the GM?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 05 May 2023, 18:23:49 »
Agreed... those are two very different things!  :thumbsup:

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #11 on: 06 May 2023, 01:16:59 »

Consider running two PC units on opposite sides of the campaign.  This creates a friendly rivalry between the two PC units and raises the stakes.  It also gets away from the same PCs versus GM opfor every weekend, which can quickly get burdensome for the GM and boring and old for the PCs, especially if the GM is a PC-killer or always pulls their punches for the sake of the campaign arc.  Even when the campaign requires one PC unit to play against an NPC unit, have the PCs for the unit that is not playing that game run the NPC unit, not the GM.  The GM stays the level of referee and storyteller (and maybe coach), letting the competition between the PCs determine the outcome of the campaign.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2023, 18:02:40 »
Two things to keep in mind when you're running a campaign:

1. Missions should have objectives.  When you're structuring your missions, always have a way for the players to win without having to kill everything on the map, and a way for them to lose despite killing everything on the map.  Alternate these two fairly irregularly with the more normal, bog-standard "kill everything on the map" scenarios.

2. Keep in mind the Players' desires and work with or around them.  Depending on the system you use, if you can get your players to give you 'hooks' in the form of back-story, do it.  Tailor missions where they can shine.  *(iow if you have a tanker or ASF player, it doesn't hurt to occasionally give them something only they can do properly, just don't overdo it.)

3. "Mook Forces"-have a few sheets pre-filled and pre-printed for the faceless mook types they'll run into, and a few 'key villains' on the side that you can advance as the players advance to give them 'boss fights' periodically.

4. be creative with your scenarios.  Dig into the optional rules for things like environmental conditions, objectives to capture or destroy, and so on.  The more actively your players have to think and engage with your campaign, the less likely they are to decide to sod off game day and go watch sports.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2023, 16:33:16 »
I will second the use different PC units..
We at one point had 6 very different PC 3025 era Merc Units... 
1 was a lance of 3 Hatchetmen and and Centurion with AC20
1 was a lance of Shadownhawk, Phawk, 2 Stingers, and a Company of Savannah Masters
1 was a Battalion of Harassers
1 was a Armored Company with Patton and Rommel as the prime punching force
1 was a mess of "support" Arty and Infanty with VTOL asssets and 2 Aerospace Fighters
1 was Regularly killed and replaced... (Player Commander had the horrible Tactic Skill and the Dice to make it worse)

And when there was a combat mission, the Referee would select 1 of player to Command The Opfor (normally 1 of our better players) and then the PC Unit Commander would pick his next member and the Opfor.  So Very rarely did you get unbalanced player skill ability

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

abou

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2023, 21:04:37 »
Thanks for the input, guys. I've been super busy with life and didn't get a chance to respond. I've taken a lot into account.

The good news is that their heavy lance almost got wrecked by a lance of Vedettes and lance of Bulldogs. I have to call it early with "forced withdrawal". Off to a good start.