Author Topic: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise  (Read 203289 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise
« Reply #1440 on: 16 September 2019, 14:02:55 »
Sea denial was pretty much the focus of Soviet naval strategy, yeah.  Look at their work on submarines rather than major surface combatants during the Cold War, and how naval strategy was built around stopping anything from getting to Europe.  They weren't doing the power projection thing, everything was focused on keeping the Americans from resupply and reinforcement.

Not that it would have helped in the end; they were just as overmatched in torpedos vs targets as the Germans were in the 40s.  They could have made it a mess to get things over there, and taken a good number of warships with them, but one does not win a war of attrition against civilian industry.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1441 on: 16 September 2019, 15:43:17 »
That strategy might have worked before SEAWOLF went to sea, but that single boat had enough Mk 48s to sink the entire Northern Fleet.

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #1442 on: 16 September 2019, 20:33:11 »
It all seems superfluous in light of ICBMs, mind

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #1443 on: 16 September 2019, 23:02:33 »
one does not win a war of attrition against civilian industry.

They were planning on using nucs. Thats not a war of attrition, even leaving out the strategic rocket forces.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #1444 on: 17 September 2019, 01:38:53 »
They were planning on using nucs. Thats not a war of attrition, even leaving out the strategic rocket forces.
sure it is. that is an attrition speed run.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1445 on: 17 September 2019, 04:43:48 »

Nobody has planned on using nukes since MAD became a concept. While a certain amount of lip service was paid to the first strike concept, both sides knew when that was no longer possible.

Nukes are now, and have been since the beginning of the cold war, a weapon of deterrence and last resort. They wouldn't be included in the opening salvoes of any conflict because the warning time would give the opponent time to launch. SSBNs sealed the deal on first strike no longer being a viable strategy, meaning that any war growing out of the cold war would be very slow or very quick, either way the body count would be astronomical. :(

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1446 on: 17 September 2019, 05:40:58 »
Well, I read an interview with a former USSR officer back in the '90s. According to him the plan was to push the big red button in case they seemed to be losing...

Which matches the general idea of USSR military planning. When everyone else is planning to wipe you out there's no point in waiting!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1447 on: 17 September 2019, 06:09:59 »
Well, I read an interview with a former USSR officer back in the '90s. According to him the plan was to push the big red button in case they seemed to be losing...

Which matches the general idea of USSR military planning. When everyone else is planning to wipe you out there's no point in waiting!

With attitudes like that....it's amazing that we are all still here.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1448 on: 17 September 2019, 06:29:12 »
Meanwhile...back to the pictures!

This the Kara Class Guided Missile Cruiser Kerch, she being accompanied by a older Kynda Missile Cruiser off the portside. 

Her class was produced late 1960s and in early 1970s just before the Slava-Class cruisers, their main focus was anti-submarine warfare.  Technically speaking, Kerch is last of her class in some sort of status, namely laid up in reserved, while rest is sunk, scrapped, plain missing (one ship not shown it's fate).
« Last Edit: 17 September 2019, 10:09:35 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1449 on: 17 September 2019, 07:37:09 »
Soviet strategy at the time was to use tac nukes to, well, basically pave the way through the Fulda for their tank armies.

This is a very nice pic of a Sovremenny-class destroyer, but it is the PLAN ship Hangzhou, pre-refit

Big link here: http://i.postimg.cc/9Q9MnKKY/8165647628-cff4b41a61-k.jpg

It all seems superfluous in light of ICBMs, mind
Actually that is exactly what they were defending the seas for - protecting the SSBNs.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1450 on: 17 September 2019, 10:06:54 »
This the Kara Class Guided Missile Cruiser Kerch, she being accompanied by a older Kynda Missile Cruiser off the Starboard bow. 

I thought the Klingons were off the starboard bow, Jim?

Nice shot of the Sov . . .

The Nuke arms race was not always about numbers, it was also a race to see who could put them on target fastest so the other side could not respond . . . nuke armed Tomahawks were a Soviet nightmare, partly b/c they could be launched in close ashore and partly b/c their NAP flying.  If they could catch the Soviet C3 above ground they could vape the folks who could give orders to retaliate.  Its also why Cuban and Turkey based missiles back in the 60s were contentious.

But as for pictures . . . apparently a replica of Cook's HMS Endeavor is sailing around the world.

Article said a Maori tribe banned the ship from docking at one of their islands.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1451 on: 17 September 2019, 16:26:15 »
That would be hilarious if it were any less Rule 4...

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1452 on: 17 September 2019, 20:03:52 »
How about this little BLURP!

https://mayflowersails2020.com/

Yeah Boston, you bean heads!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #1453 on: 19 September 2019, 08:21:48 »

But as for pictures . . . apparently a replica of Cook's HMS Endeavor is sailing around the world.

Article said a Maori tribe banned the ship from docking at one of their islands.

Wouldn't do.

The crew won't be ripe to eat until somewhere in the pacific.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #1454 on: 20 September 2019, 03:31:44 »
Interesting website for WWI wrecks

https://map.forgottenwrecks.org/
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1455 on: 20 September 2019, 05:35:46 »
I thought the Klingons were off the starboard bow, Jim?

Nice shot of the Sov . . .

The Nuke arms race was not always about numbers, it was also a race to see who could put them on target fastest so the other side could not respond . . . nuke armed Tomahawks were a Soviet nightmare, partly b/c they could be launched in close ashore and partly b/c their NAP flying.  If they could catch the Soviet C3 above ground they could vape the folks who could give orders to retaliate.  Its also why Cuban and Turkey based missiles back in the 60s were contentious.

I've been onboard her, she's quite the sight let me tell you. The thing that surprised me was how low the deck heads were, apparently it's due to the structural strength of wood, far lower than steel (not a shock), and how long they had to spend at sea.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1456 on: 20 September 2019, 09:07:17 »
Well, average high has steadily been going up and got a steeper curve with the industrial revolution . . . I want to say that is one of the things folks talked about with all the interior scenes from Master & Commander.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1457 on: 20 September 2019, 10:24:39 »

Shots fired...literally.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1458 on: 20 September 2019, 10:58:55 »
Wow, a picture of guys in the rigging . . . not sure I have ever really seen that before.  Isn't that just a popgun signal gun?  or at most one of the chase guns?  Broadside weapons would be on the level with the stern windows.

Ha!, had to look again at the picture but that IS the Surprise.
Colt Ward

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #1459 on: 20 September 2019, 11:22:11 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOdcym36NLw
as one commentator said, that's a sexy sub.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #1460 on: 20 September 2019, 11:40:47 »

I've been onboard her, she's quite the sight let me tell you. The thing that surprised me was how low the deck heads were, apparently it's due to the structural strength of wood, far lower than steel (not a shock), and how long they had to spend at sea.

Apparently the average height of Japanese naval personnel in WW2 was 5'4" and Admiral Ozawa was 6'7" (2 metres)
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #1461 on: 20 September 2019, 12:00:42 »
It's mostly a strength and expense issue. When I went through USS Constellation last year, at 6'1", I didn't have an issue on the gun deck, but farther down, it got more cramped. The orlop deck above the hold was the worst.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1462 on: 20 September 2019, 16:52:13 »
That picture really puts "all hands" into perspective back in the day.  The crowding on that narrow deck would have been something else...

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1463 on: 21 September 2019, 08:04:28 »
It's mostly a strength and expense issue. When I went through USS Constellation last year, at 6'1", I didn't have an issue on the gun deck, but farther down, it got more cramped. The orlop deck above the hold was the worst.

That would explain it, Endeavour was a collier, not a warship, so no gun deck. :)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1464 on: 21 September 2019, 09:14:14 »
That would explain it, Endeavour was a collier, not a warship, so no gun deck. :)

Although a new deck was added to her when she was being refitted for exploration.

Rugwr
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1465 on: 22 September 2019, 18:44:23 »

USS Saratoga, sister ship of the Lexington in Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Washington, United States, Nov 17th, 1930.

Remarkable the state of the shipyard. I can't imagine modern shipyard looking like that.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1466 on: 22 September 2019, 18:46:59 »
Um... I don't see a picture...  ???

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #1467 on: 22 September 2019, 19:16:20 »
https://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=18483

This?

TT

(PS: you do know you can click onto the x and inspect the properties... of which you can copy and paste using your browser to find most pics, right? )
« Last Edit: 22 September 2019, 19:18:21 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1468 on: 22 September 2019, 19:20:00 »
If that is it, aside from the lack of pavement and all the extra civilians standing around gawking, that looks pretty much like the shipyards I've been in...

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #1469 on: 22 September 2019, 19:44:48 »
No, not that much has changed in someways at PSNS. I remember seeing a similar octagonal pumping structure there in 2009-10. The buildings are mostly World War II-1960's in construction, with extensive renovations. Here's a more recent picture, with an LSMR in the background. In the background is one of the Bob Hope-class Large, Medium-Speed, Roll-on/Roll-off Ships that is moored in Bremerton. You can also see a modern rail born crane in this picture, behind the building.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command