Author Topic: New Campaign, or what I really need  (Read 3399 times)

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
New Campaign, or what I really need
« on: 28 February 2021, 11:00:27 »
Hi everyone. So I'm preparing a campaign for ATOW about a merc unit (how original) that will mix TW for mech battles. Now, the main problem I face is that although I want to keep the TW rules to the simplest possible (as mostly we don't have much experience playing the game), I want to make a good use of the campaign rules for a unit.
Now, I see that the rules to create and manage a unit are on the Campaign Operations book, but also seems that I would need to use part of Strategic Operations for the repairs/salvage, plus TechManual for the prices of the equipment. So about 3 or 4 rulesets (even if not complete). Am I correct, or there is something I'm missing?
I don't want to use aerospace units on the game, cause it will add too much complication, plus it puts the unit in the situation of a tpk if their dropship gets blown to kingdom come.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: New Campaign, or what I really need
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2021, 13:27:40 »
I recommend picking up the AToW Companion in pdf too.  You are correct about StratOps and Campaign Ops having (what I consider, at least) necessary rules.

The DropShip problem can be hand waved, but be prepared to do a lot of that.

As for character creation (a common complaint), my sig block has a link to the spreadsheet I created to help with that (among many other links).  All signs point to it being less intuitve than I hoped, but I'll cheerfully help where I can.  I usually offer to do all the character creation heavy lifting (with input from the players, of course) when I run campaigns.  Sadly, play by post is HARD, and that's all I have time for.

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2021, 16:22:59 »
Have the Companion, was more worried about the unit management rules and not overlook anything essential.
We already created the characters, so that base is covered :)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2021, 16:27:44 »
Cool!  You're ahead of most people I encounter on the board... best of luck!  :thumbsup:

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2021, 17:34:32 »
What is the time period?

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 01 March 2021, 16:53:22 »
Cool!  You're ahead of most people I encounter on the board... best of luck!  :thumbsup:

Thanks!! ;D

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 01 March 2021, 16:55:26 »
What is the time period?

We will begin in 3027, and wil go from there. I would love to at least made it to the Andurien War, but who knows. The first part of the campaign will be them playing a pivotal role in the fall of the Aurigan Coalition (post Restoration).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 01 March 2021, 19:51:31 »
Wow... I hope none of them are reading here, then...  ^-^

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 02 March 2021, 02:05:28 »
No, I assure you none are reading this. And mostly they don't know anything about Battletech lore so they wouldn't know what all those names mean anyway

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 02 March 2021, 04:27:33 »
Cool... best of luck!   :thumbsup:

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #10 on: 02 March 2021, 11:35:29 »
Check out MekHQ. I track all of my units there. It uses many of the Campaign Operations rules there, and everything is automated.

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 03 March 2021, 02:49:06 »
Check out MekHQ. I track all of my units there. It uses many of the Campaign Operations rules there, and everything is automated.

Yeah, I have it :) It's been a great tool to keep my Battletech urges checked last year.

metalsword

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 24 May 2021, 08:09:45 »

Hi guys,

I know the thread is already a bit old but I second this. I would have recommended it myself but @Dahmin_Toran was quicker :)
I've also been using MekHQ for my tracking and it made everything a lot easier. I think it's quite simple to operate too, which makes me really enjoy using it.

Oh and @Moragion your original idea sounds really cool, have fun with it  ;D
sometimes you win sometimes you lose

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #13 on: 24 May 2021, 09:35:15 »
You're pretty much spot on with what you'll need for a really detailed campaign.
Strategic Operations will give you enough for the advanced rules dealing with support staff and repairs.
Tech Manual and Tactical Operations can help out with the equipment and costs.
Total Warfare for standard game play with 'Mech and non 'Mech forces on the table.

Campaign Operations gives rules for how to create a Merc group with an established reputation and all the fun "history" that would come from a bunch of sellswords. Also the book has rules for generating contracts as well as how to build actual bases.

You've already got the A Time of War so that's going to be redundant if I talk about it.

For an alternative, abstract, campaign I'd suggest:
Any of the pdfs that use Chaos Campaign tracks. In fact there's a Succession Wars one for free on the site. You lose the "nuts and bolts" of paying for specific weapons and wages for support staff though. You pay some flat Warchest points, boom it is a repaired 'Mech. Now you just go out there and fight.

Also recommended in this abstract version of campaigning: Alpha Strike. Basically the Battleforce stats with a range that's a compromise between Total Warfare and Battleforce. Fights are quicker but also deadlier, but you can house rule that "dead" and dead are subject to a die roll for all the players know.

At the time of this post, I can't find a good replacement for Campaign Operation in terms of making contracts in any abstract way. So CO might be good to serve as an inspiration of sorts.

Recommendations if you really want to go all out nuts:
Interstellar Operations is the "way out there" book I enjoy because it lists era and availability of stuff from everywhere.
That could be a fun GM toolbox to spring stuff like "Oh hey this mumblemumble Pirate faction, somehow snagged old prototype stuff that's almost lostech" sure your players might be surprised, but then only to find out this stuff is bulkier and has mods against its roll compared to the more "streamlined" stuff they know. Still those would be fun shake ups here and there.

That's why I love this game. Pick and choose what fits the scale of your game and the time you have available.
Plus yes MegaMek's loving crew of fan nerds does have the HQ program. I've used it here and there, solid stuff. I'll let the others' praise speak for that.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 24 May 2021, 20:07:38 »
I know its an older resource, but I really like some of the stuff in mercs handbook 3055

especially some of the supply (standard supply kits) refit and upgrade materials etc.

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2021, 07:41:51 »
You're pretty much spot on with what you'll need for a really detailed campaign.
Strategic Operations will give you enough for the advanced rules dealing with support staff and repairs.
Tech Manual and Tactical Operations can help out with the equipment and costs.
Total Warfare for standard game play with 'Mech and non 'Mech forces on the table.

Campaign Operations gives rules for how to create a Merc group with an established reputation and all the fun "history" that would come from a bunch of sellswords. Also the book has rules for generating contracts as well as how to build actual bases.

You've already got the A Time of War so that's going to be redundant if I talk about it.

For an alternative, abstract, campaign I'd suggest:
Any of the pdfs that use Chaos Campaign tracks. In fact there's a Succession Wars one for free on the site. You lose the "nuts and bolts" of paying for specific weapons and wages for support staff though. You pay some flat Warchest points, boom it is a repaired 'Mech. Now you just go out there and fight.

Also recommended in this abstract version of campaigning: Alpha Strike. Basically the Battleforce stats with a range that's a compromise between Total Warfare and Battleforce. Fights are quicker but also deadlier, but you can house rule that "dead" and dead are subject to a die roll for all the players know.

At the time of this post, I can't find a good replacement for Campaign Operation in terms of making contracts in any abstract way. So CO might be good to serve as an inspiration of sorts.

Recommendations if you really want to go all out nuts:
Interstellar Operations is the "way out there" book I enjoy because it lists era and availability of stuff from everywhere.
That could be a fun GM toolbox to spring stuff like "Oh hey this mumblemumble Pirate faction, somehow snagged old prototype stuff that's almost lostech" sure your players might be surprised, but then only to find out this stuff is bulkier and has mods against its roll compared to the more "streamlined" stuff they know. Still those would be fun shake ups here and there.

That's why I love this game. Pick and choose what fits the scale of your game and the time you have available.
Plus yes MegaMek's loving crew of fan nerds does have the HQ program. I've used it here and there, solid stuff. I'll let the others' praise speak for that.
Thanks everyone!! I remember that about contracts the Field Manual: Mercenaries had very detailed rules for that, apart from rules to create the merc unit, but as none of my players have played Battletech/Mechwarrior before I wanted to keep things easy to begin with, so the rules on Campaign Operations seemed the appropiate resource. Also I will be managing most of the crunching of the unit, at least for a few sessions, so no need give myself more work :P
I know its an older resource, but I really like some of the stuff in mercs handbook 3055

especially some of the supply (standard supply kits) refit and upgrade materials etc.
I think one of the books I mentioned (don't remember which one right now) also has the rules for refit kits (which I hope the campaign will advance enough to be able to use them.

By the way we have already done one training session so they get used to the tabletop game and their mechs, and will have the second one this weekend, so we will be able to begin the campaign proper pretty soon.
So far the unit is composed of a Awesome 8T, Orion, Archer, Shadow Hawk, plus the technicians and a Leopard. I would have prefered them to use mediums to begin with, but they wanted heavy metal.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2021, 08:34:26 »
I think one of the books I mentioned (don't remember which one right now) also has the rules for refit kits (which I hope the campaign will advance enough to be able to use them.
That would be Strategic Operations (the one with the black and white Atlas in space shooting stuff on the cover).
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Moragion

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2021, 11:05:06 »
That would be Strategic Operations (the one with the black and white Atlas in space shooting stuff on the cover).
If there's a better desctription of a cover of a book than this one, I don't want to know.
(yeah, it is Strategic Operations, good call)

Register