Author Topic: A time of war character creation question  (Read 2394 times)

ns482

• Recruit
A time of war character creation question
« on: 06 September 2021, 19:51:46 »
So possible i may be a bit dumb. But in a time of war, once you get to the endstep where your doing character optimization. Can you use your left over experience to only improve attributes,traits and skills you have existing experience in. or can you purchase traits you don't have any experience in. Example: i could not find a life path gave any experience toward a title, so i assume its only purchasable during the final steps of character creation with left over xp.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Re: A time of war character creation question
« Reply #1 on: 06 September 2021, 20:12:00 »
During optimization, you're basically shaving away the unspent XP back into your points pool so that you can spend them as you see fit, so yeah, you should be able to purchase Titles. (Though I would personally double-check with the GM first, just in case having nobility would screw up the campaign somehow.)

- Herb

ns482

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 06 September 2021, 20:25:44 »
Thank you very much for the answer!

I originally played in classic and have been trying to get back into battletech. so re learning the rule books and such. Again thank you for your help

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 06 September 2021, 21:48:09 »
Not a problem. Just happened by, saw your question, and knew a thing or two, so I opted to help out. Have fun!

- Herb

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 07 September 2021, 18:00:24 »
Every little bit helps!  :thumbsup:

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2021, 20:41:29 »
I generally create characters using the lifepath/modules method, but I feel that optimization essentially works like point buy mode
it gives you an opportunity to tweak and customize the character so they come out how you want them to.

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2021, 20:55:24 »
I generally create characters using the lifepath/modules method, but I feel that optimization essentially works like point buy mode
it gives you an opportunity to tweak and customize the character so they come out how you want them to.

Bingo. At the end of the day, the point-buy and life modules approaches are equally valid. I think my biggest mistake was presenting the life modules as the primary method, though; probably would have been clearer to folks who still see the AToW chargen system as "doing your taxes."

- Herb

Nodachi

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2021, 10:04:55 »
Given my group's opinion, the life module was our preferred method.

rjhancock

• Warrant Officer
  • MegaMek Server Guy and Mac Enthusist
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2021, 23:01:07 »
My group enjoyed the life path system as well. Felt more well natural for our RP sessions.