Author Topic: Need Help with Character Sheet Creation  (Read 4927 times)

Red Falcon

• Recruit
Need Help with Character Sheet Creation
« on: 16 September 2021, 09:33:39 »
Hello everyone, first time poster, and i have been getting into Battletech thanks to the awesome PC game and the videos by Razorfist and Riggs42.

I want to create a campaign for new players (including my wife who is dipping her toes into RPing) and we want to mix the TT game with AToW, since i have the introductory boxes and everything. But it has been a bit difficult for me to grasp the creating part of the characters, more so for my wife.

So i was wondering if there is anyone who has experience to help us either with creating some characters based on specifications or to even give us some pointers via Zoom or Hangout. I cannot stress this enough that of course it would be commisioned and paid based on the rates of the person interested in helping us.

With that said i want to thank everyone involved and I hope this can be the beginning for us in this great world of Battletech.

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: Need Help with Character Sheet Creation
« Reply #1 on: 16 September 2021, 15:41:22 »
I have a number of characters that I posted, mostly using the lifepath system.
I like the lifepaths as it makes a character that feels more "organic" to me IE they have most/all of the core skills for the career they  are going for, but often have some "junk" skills that are useful, but aren't directly related to the career.

right now I can't find the threads, but there was at least 1 where I went through a char gen step by step

Red Falcon

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 16 September 2021, 19:17:16 »
Thanks for the reply. I was considering the Lifepath system since it gives each character a pathos and backstory that cam be fun to implement in a RPG. in this case it would be me (a mechwarrior from House Marik) my wife (an Aerospace pilot that defected from House Liao), and two more MW characters with NPCs acting as mechanic and the rest, all of us forming a Mercenary company.

I am mostly confused with the adding and substracting from points since i want to make a character at age 31.

If you do find the thread please let me know. Thanks in advance again and all the best.

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 16 September 2021, 20:15:14 »
ok here is the base info:

Marik Mechwarrior
base XP 5000 plus 900 age 31 (31-21 = 9 years over baseline age )
stage 0 Affiliation pg 54-64 ATOW
Marik
- 150 xp
primary language: English
secondary languages: Greek, Hindi, italian, Mongolian, Romanian, Slovak, Spanish, Urdu
fixed XP skills Language/ any secondary 15xp
art/any 10xp
sub affiliation (optional)

Universal fixed xp -850 xp
+100 xp each attribute
+20 xp to primary or secondary affiliation language
language english +20xp
perception skill +10

stage 1 early childhood pg 65-66
Stage 2 late childhood pg 67-69
stage 3 higher education (optional) pg 70-74
stage 4: Real life (optional) pg 74-81

so what it is going to look like already:
STR 100XP
BOD 100XP
RFL 100XP
DEX 100XP
INT 100XP
WIL 100XP
CHA 100XP
EDG 100XP

skills
Language English 20
Language secondary 15
language primary or secondary 20
art any 10
perception 10

NOTE:
I did not pick a sub affiliation which will modify things
also I did not choose any lifepath modules.

Red Falcon

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2021, 22:34:17 »
Thank you so much for this, so basing on this i just add/substract when i choose Lifepath modules and affiliations? Considering i want to even things out as a MW in my CHA's age he would have at least 2 Stage 3 and 2 Stage 4 paths?

Would there be any chance you can help me with my wife's character? The main jist is to have her be around 25 and an aerospace pilot, like i said defecting from House Liao and joining the Mercenary group alongside my character
« Last Edit: 16 September 2021, 22:36:31 by Red Falcon »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2021, 13:28:49 »
Sorry I didn't see this sooner!  I love to make characters, and have built a spreadsheet to make it easy.  Please give me an era in addition to the basic sketches you posted above.  I should be able to give you something by the end of the weekend.

As far as making a character at age 31, there are rules for that, and my spreadsheet takes them into account.

Red Falcon

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2021, 15:29:46 »
Sorry I didn't see this sooner!  I love to make characters, and have built a spreadsheet to make it easy.  Please give me an era in addition to the basic sketches you posted above.  I should be able to give you something by the end of the weekend.

As far as making a character at age 31, there are rules for that, and my spreadsheet takes them into account.

No problem and of course, thank you very much for the help.

Main idea is that we are a mercenary company with a crew of 2 MechWarriors (me and a friend) An aerospace pilot (my wife) and some NPCs that can range from mechanic to everything in between. It would be based around Clan Invasion Era (mostly around 3050, where our campaign will take place in those years going through the duration and aftermath of Tukayyid Battle).

My character would be a MechWarrior from House Marik, most specifically Marik Commonwealth) and was considering these life paths:

Stage 1 - Nobility
Stage 2 - Military School
Stage 3-  Military Academy
Stage 4 - Tour of Duty

Since my age would be 31 IDK if i need to add more Stages 3 or 4 into it. For negative traits i can add addiction and Dark Secret, if i need to balance things with more Positive/negative let me know. Also his first Language would be English and Spanish as his second.

My wife's character like stated would be an Aersopace pilot that defected from House Liao (she is Chinese and wants to keep that as her character) age 25 and would be an original member of the Rising Phoenix Company (our Merc Unit). In this case i can leave everything up to you in terms of Stages and how it can combine with my character since they would be together as well.

If you need more information please let me know. Thank you again for everything and if needed please send me a PM. All the best.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2021, 15:33:53 by Red Falcon »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2021, 15:47:29 »
Awesome, thanks!  I was hoping for something slightly earlier, but since you want a Dark Secret, I can probably work that in to a parent's role in Anton's Revolt...  ^-^

I'll get to work shortly (right after I cook and eat dinner)...

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 18 September 2021, 16:25:37 »
this is a next steps summary
Marik Mechwarrior
Marik
- 150 xp
primary language: English
secondary languages: Greek, Hindi, italian, Mongolian, Romanian, Slovak, Spanish, Urdu
fixed XP skills Language/ any secondary 15xp
art/any 10xp
sub affiliation (optional)

Universal fixed xp -850 xp
+100 xp each attribute
+20 xp to primary or secondary affiliation language
language english +20xp
perception skill +10

stage 1 early childhood pg 65-66
Nobility, -215
5+ total in title wealth or property traits
attributes:
-75 in str
bod -75
RFL -50
INT +100
CHA +100
Traits:
Equipped +125
enemy -200
Glass jaw -100
reputation +175
Wealth +150
Skills:
Appraisal +5
art/any +10
interest/any 10
language affiliation +10
protocol Marik +10
Flex xp +5 xp to any 4 attributes, traits, or skills
Stage 2 late childhood pg 67-69
Military school  -500
prereq will 3+
Attributes:
cha +50
Traits:
connections +15
fit +15
Rank +20
skills:
career /soldier +25
Computers +35
interest/any +30
interest / military history +40
Leadership +20
Martial arts +30
medtech +10
melee weapons +20
proto0col/marik +30
running +30
small arms +50
strategy +10
swimming +30
flexable +40 to skills
stage 3 higher education (optional) pg 70-74
Military academy - (830 + 150 (basic training) +150 (mechwarrior) field costs)
str +50
bod +100
rfl +125
will +100
Traits:
equipped +100
Rank +200
Skills:
interest/ military history +15
Leaderaship +10
protocol/ marik +15
swimming +15
flexible XP +100
Fields:
Basic Training prereq: rank and int 3 wil 3
Career/soldier
Martial arts
Medtech
Navigation/ground
amall arms
Advanced: Mechwarrior +1 year
prereq: basic training, dex 4 rfl 4
Gunnery/mech
piloting/mech
sensor operations
tactics/land
technician/any
stage 4: Real life (optional) pg 74-81

note I only did the raw numbers through stage 3 and didn't put the actual field skill points or rebates, I also didn't run through OCS which is still an option (strongly recommended if you want to be an officer (leader of a merc unit)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2021, 17:32:41 »
I'm almost done with your first character.  I'm thinking along these lines:

Nobility (age 10)
Military School (age 16)
Military Academy (age 19)
OCS (age 20)
Tour of Duty (age 22)
Trade School (an MBA on the FWLM's dime, age 25)
"Civilian" Job (back to back staff tours (pay back) as a Mercenary Liaison on Galatea, age 31)

At this point, I'm thinking you'll be coy about your parents' roles in Anton's Revolt, but your REAL Dark Secret will be how you managed to finance starting your mercenary company...  ^-^

I have age 25 for your wife (which I still have to figure out)... how about your friend?

Other NPCs will include:
A Lawyer (EVERY mercenary unit needs a lawyer!)
A Doctor (and associated medical team)
Probably a wingman (or woman) for your wife (ASFs work best in pairs)
At least one Technician per mechanical unit (infantry don't need a tech until there's a full company of them)
At least one platoon of infantry (as AsTechs, if nothing else... the squad leaders and above will be "professional" infantry)
A Heavy APC to move all of the above around, and act as a recovery vehicle for light stuff
If your 'mechs are big, a 'Mech Recovery Vehicle (or Heavy one)

Question: Does your unit have a DropShip?  If so, I'll need to do the crew for that.  Options include a modified Leopard (two of the 'mech cubicles converted to vehicles, infantry and cargo), or if you want really ancient, a Manatee (I figure two 'mech cubicles, two ASF cubicles, and the vehicles and infantry crammed in the corners).

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 18 September 2021, 18:35:52 »
Ok, your first character is 90% done, and attached in Excel format (if you need plain text, just let me know).  I haven't purchased your Dark Secret yet, and only bumped up your 'mech selection to a random Marik Medium.  You're also only a 4 Gunner/5 Pilot at the moment.  You have 122 Experience Points to spend before needing that Dark Secret.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 18 September 2021, 19:08:50 »
An idea for your wife:

Blue Collar (age 10)
Spacer Family (age 16)
Military Academy (age 18)
Tour of Duty (age 21) - at the end of her tour, she gets word her parents have been arrested on trumped up charges and executed
Ne'er Do Well (age 25) - she defected at the first opportunity with her Fighter, and washed up on Galatea to join the unit (a bounty is placed on her head; this Bloodmark trait will cancel out the cost of her Citizenship trait that no longer does her any good)

Does she like it?

Red Falcon

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2021, 21:21:43 »
I'm almost done with your first character.  I'm thinking along these lines:

Nobility (age 10)
Military School (age 16)
Military Academy (age 19)
OCS (age 20)
Tour of Duty (age 22)
Trade School (an MBA on the FWLM's dime, age 25)
"Civilian" Job (back to back staff tours (pay back) as a Mercenary Liaison on Galatea, age 31)

At this point, I'm thinking you'll be coy about your parents' roles in Anton's Revolt, but your REAL Dark Secret will be how you managed to finance starting your mercenary company...  ^-^

I have age 25 for your wife (which I still have to figure out)... how about your friend?

Other NPCs will include:
A Lawyer (EVERY mercenary unit needs a lawyer!)
A Doctor (and associated medical team)
Probably a wingman (or woman) for your wife (ASFs work best in pairs)
At least one Technician per mechanical unit (infantry don't need a tech until there's a full company of them)
At least one platoon of infantry (as AsTechs, if nothing else... the squad leaders and above will be "professional" infantry)
A Heavy APC to move all of the above around, and act as a recovery vehicle for light stuff
If your 'mechs are big, a 'Mech Recovery Vehicle (or Heavy one)

Question: Does your unit have a DropShip?  If so, I'll need to do the crew for that.  Options include a modified Leopard (two of the 'mech cubicles converted to vehicles, infantry and cargo), or if you want really ancient, a Manatee (I figure two 'mech cubicles, two ASF cubicles, and the vehicles and infantry crammed in the corners).

We can have a dropship, since we are not going to be too strict on rules and manage it narrative wise in order to get comfortable and everyone enjoy their first games until we can spike the difficulty.

An idea for your wife:

Blue Collar (age 10)
Spacer Family (age 16)
Military Academy (age 18)
Tour of Duty (age 21) - at the end of her tour, she gets word her parents have been arrested on trumped up charges and executed
Ne'er Do Well (age 25) - she defected at the first opportunity with her Fighter, and washed up on Galatea to join the unit (a bounty is placed on her head; this Bloodmark trait will cancel out the cost of her Citizenship trait that no longer does her any good)

Does she like it?

She likes it a lot, and it plays out in the scheme of how we get together, maybe my character can help her escape and in the process get intimate and become a couple.

As for my character any chance i can get some changes in order to use an Atlas or is too soon in the game?

Thank you very much for everything. Really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2021, 21:23:56 by Red Falcon »

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #13 on: 19 September 2021, 02:10:11 »
this is a next steps summary
Marik Mechwarrior

**snipped**

Those extra starting allotment points are optional and my group only ever uses them on points-only characters. If you go life paths you are the age you end the Life Paths at is the age you are. No extra XP because you got old on your path.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #14 on: 19 September 2021, 05:58:48 »
We can have a dropship, since we are not going to be too strict on rules and manage it narrative wise in order to get comfortable and everyone enjoy their first games until we can spike the difficulty.

She likes it a lot, and it plays out in the scheme of how we get together, maybe my character can help her escape and in the process get intimate and become a couple.

As for my character any chance i can get some changes in order to use an Atlas or is too soon in the game?

Thank you very much for everything. Really appreciate it.
Glad she likes the idea!  I'll put her character together today.  Any word on your friend?

As far as you helping her escape, that's easy enough.  Figure you were a liaison officer with a mercenary unit that raided Liao space, and you talked the unit into taking her and her fighter aboard (and back to Galatea).

It's certainly not too early for an Atlas, but Assault 'Mechs are expensive.  I'll see what I can do.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 19 September 2021, 08:18:07 »
OK, I'm 99% done with your wife's character.  I managed to get her her choice of any IS Heavy Aerospace Fighter, along with base 3 Gunnery and 2 Piloting (just say "no" to lawn dart checks!).  She has 100 experience left to spend, and has quite a variety of things to choose from.

I did manage to get you an Assault 'mech, but FWL choices for Atlases before 3050 aren't great.  They do have access to the Kurita variant that came out in 3049, though (Gauss Rifle and Large Lasers, but still Single Heat Sinks).  To do that, I had to drop your WIL to 3.  If you want access to all variants of the Atlas, your STR or BOD (I recommend STR) would also have to drop to 3.

Let me know what other tweaks you'd like to make, and I'll start working on the NPCs

Red Falcon

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: 19 September 2021, 11:01:37 »
Glad she likes the idea!  I'll put her character together today.  Any word on your friend?..

He said that a MechWarrior that can be a cohesive lance mate would be great. He can be from Davion or Steiner, since he wants to be a ruff military type that is focused on the mission. He could have a Short Temper negative trait or something that can make him a daredevil while also considering the succession of the mission and safety of his crew at any costs. Like a counterpart from my character.

OK, I'm 99% done with your wife's character.  I managed to get her her choice of any IS Heavy Aerospace Fighter, along with base 3 Gunnery and 2 Piloting (just say "no" to lawn dart checks!).  She has 100 experience left to spend, and has quite a variety of things to choose from.

I did manage to get you an Assault 'mech, but FWL choices for Atlases before 3050 aren't great.  They do have access to the Kurita variant that came out in 3049, though (Gauss Rifle and Large Lasers, but still Single Heat Sinks).  To do that, I had to drop your WIL to 3.  If you want access to all variants of the Atlas, your STR or BOD (I recommend STR) would also have to drop to 3.

Let me know what other tweaks you'd like to make, and I'll start working on the NPCs

The Kurita variant would be great, I appreciate the accommodation made.

I think it would be Ok, Since my CHA would be the leader IDK if he needs any variants needed in order to fill that role, i leave that in your more than capable hands  :clap:

If you need more info please let me know.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2021, 11:12:42 by Red Falcon »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 19 September 2021, 11:34:58 »
Your MBA required an INT and CHA of 5 each, so those can't be dropped.  The MBA is what boosted your Administration, Leadership, Training, Protocol and Negotiation (which are precisely the skills you need to lead).  Also, don't forget to think about some details for your Enemy.

For your wife, I would recommend a Transgressor (it's the standard Liao heavy ASF, and gets a solid upgrade a couple of years after 3050).  The only advanced tech heavy ASF I found in the MUL available in time is the Kurita Slayer variant with an LB-10X (and extra ton of ammo) from 3044.  Given the shenanigans you pulled to set up the unit, it wouldn't be out of the question for you to have laid hands on one.

Sounds like Davion is the best choice for your friend.  The Impatient trait would probably provide the impetus for him to leave Davion service, especially after a "staff tour" on Galatea.  I'll get his character together today.  Should I assume he'll want an assault 'mech too?

Red Falcon

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: 19 September 2021, 11:45:01 »
Your MBA required an INT and CHA of 5 each, so those can't be dropped.  The MBA is what boosted your Administration, Leadership, Training, Protocol and Negotiation (which are precisely the skills you need to lead).  Also, don't forget to think about some details for your Enemy.

For your wife, I would recommend a Transgressor (it's the standard Liao heavy ASF, and gets a solid upgrade a couple of years after 3050).  The only advanced tech heavy ASF I found in the MUL available in time is the Kurita Slayer variant with an LB-10X (and extra ton of ammo) from 3044.  Given the shenanigans you pulled to set up the unit, it wouldn't be out of the question for you to have laid hands on one.

Sounds like Davion is the best choice for your friend.  The Impatient trait would probably provide the impetus for him to leave Davion service, especially after a "staff tour" on Galatea.  I'll get his character together today.  Should I assume he'll want an assault 'mech too?

I understand, and yes, maybe he can have something that can be fast while at the same time not be too light. Perhaps a Shadow Hawk or Kintaro. I am more than open to any suggestions.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 19 September 2021, 12:22:41 »
It looks like the Wolverine 7M model is available in 3050.  I think that might be a good one for him.  Let me know what he thinks.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #20 on: 19 September 2021, 14:55:38 »
Ok, here's the current state of the spreadsheet before I head off to dinner/laundry/other chores.

1) I found an error in your sheet, and had to scrape up 30 XP from somewhere.  I fudged your Rank to get it (you're the CO... you can call yourself whatever you want!), and spent some of the remainder on bumping your Piloting to 4 (so you're a 4/4 Gunner/Pilot).
2) I spent your wife's 100 extra XP on buying off the tobacco addiction that will plague most of the unit (it comes with Tour of Duty).
3) Your friend is done, and a base 3/3 Gunner/Pilot.  I figured he needed something to keep up with an Atlas while driving a Wolverine...  O:-)
4) Your lawyer is a Galatean native looking to leave planet for some reason...  ::)
5) Your doctor is a former Davion combat medic, and prides himself on staying in at least as good a shape as the infantry troops.  If only he was as good with a scalpel as he is with pharmacological solutions (he's infamous for "take two X and call me in the morning").  That might be why he's hired on with a brand new unit...  8)

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 19 September 2021, 18:45:30 »
I love the doc..

as for the lawyer...  on the run from OC??
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 19 September 2021, 19:10:56 »
He's got a -2 Enemy that hasn't been detailed yet... could be OIC, could be a gang (or both!)... it's up to the GM!  >:D

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #23 on: 19 September 2021, 20:47:59 »
As far as you helping her escape, that's easy enough.  Figure you were a liaison officer with a mercenary unit that raided Liao space, and you talked the unit into taking her and her fighter aboard (and back to Galatea).

For the ASF pilot, I'd be worried that the merc unit might kill me and sell the ASF as that would make the merc unit's bank account very happy.  So there would have been a lot of negotiation going on, until the ASF pilot trusted the unit enough to come onboard and get out of her ASF.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #24 on: 20 September 2021, 03:22:32 »
Don't forget to stack that against not knowing exactly when the Maskirovka is going to shove a bag over your head...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #25 on: 20 September 2021, 10:16:51 »
Don't forget to stack that against not knowing exactly when the Maskirovka is going to shove a bag over your head...
Capellans don't get Compulsion/Paranoia for nothing, now!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Red Falcon

• Recruit
« Reply #26 on: 20 September 2021, 11:12:02 »
I love it, everything is amazing and the comments make the unit seem vibrant and it meshes with the overall cutthroat element that is the wonderful world of BT.

The lawyer comments are killing me  ;D :clap:

One question, what would be the specs of the DropShip? and how much more NPCs would it be needed?
« Last Edit: 20 September 2021, 12:39:35 by Red Falcon »

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 20 September 2021, 12:44:57 »
They would not do that, the is Fed Sun false news
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 20 September 2021, 16:38:57 »
Thanks!  As I said, I LOVE making characters!

As far as additional personnel:

4 medics (to round out a medical team with the Doc)

3 techs (so far, 1 for each 'mech and the fighter)

Since you have an Atlas, I recommend a Heavy Battlemech Recovery Vehicle (Sarna's picture even has one carrying an Atlas!).  That comes with a crew of 6 and a tech (so they don't need an infantry squad to supply AsTechs).

I also recommend an "ambulance" of some kind.  This could range from a converted APC (of any flavor) to a Ferret VTOL.  This would come with a driver/pilot, a tech, and require an infantry squad.  Another option would be to simply install some Paramedic gear in the main APC.

Speaking of which, I recommend a Heavy APC (of some kind).  That should be enough transport to evacuate the whole unit if necessary, as it has a capacity of two whole platoons.  This comes with a crew of two, a tech, and needs an infantry squad to supply the AsTechs.

So far, that's 2 'mechs, 1 ASF, 1 Heavy Vehicle, and 1 or 2 Light Vehicles, supported by 4 or 5 squads of infantry, one medical team, and 5 or 6 techs.  If you turn one of a Leopard's 6 cubicles into cargo, you'll have more than enough room to store all the vehicles as cargo, and have enough space for Bay quality quarters for the infantry and support staff, along with a MASH suite (core unit) and as much Communications Equipment as you want (given that a DropShip comes with the equivalent of 3 tons as part of their controls, 1 ton will be enough to link to satellites, and 4 tons will get you +2 initiative, but increase the crew requirements by 4 and they need at least Steerage Quarters at 5 tons each).

I remember you saying you wanted additional 'mechs and maybe another fighter.  How many of each?  Each one will have a pilot, tech, and need an infantry squad in support.

Red Falcon

• Recruit
« Reply #29 on: 20 September 2021, 20:29:47 »
Any and all recommendations are always welcomed. Even more so since I am new in this and you have been more than helpful and it is something that I cannot be thankful enough. So for the dropship we can go with the Leopard fitted in your description alongside the added elements you described.

So your recommendations of course IMO would be implemented since I want to make this a good starting point for the group and others in my country who want to get into Battletech but are weary of perceiving it as too complicated.

I'm waiting confirmation for one more friend if he wants to join as a MW, as part of the Lance unit.

Register