Author Topic: A dare to all ATOW obsessives out there...  (Read 2660 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
A dare to all ATOW obsessives out there...
« on: 08 December 2021, 15:08:36 »
I'd normally restrict this to one or two players, and I'll probably hit them up too...

I want a character who's practically a brain in a jar.

and...

I want to see the lifepath that would make them successful.

what is a brain-in-a-jar, you might ask?

imagine someone whose stats are horrifically under-par everywhere, but the parts that make up their intellect and intelligence.  we're talking physically repulsive, weak-boned, prone to injuries, physically beyond weak, lacking any physical graces whatsoever.

effectively 'a brain, in a jar'.

can you even DO this in the ATOW system?
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: A dare to all ATOW obsessives out there...
« Reply #1 on: 08 December 2021, 21:13:28 »
I can only say "maybe" (at least with all the rules in play).  I will take a crack at it, but this is complex enough it may have to wait for the weekend...

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 08 December 2021, 21:50:53 »
Assuming this is based off a certain character from War is a Grave.

Mechanically I think it is possible but I'm not sure it'd be all that do-able through life modules alone.

To me it sounds like Glass Jaw, Handicap(maxed), and Unattractive for negative traits.  Possibly Unlucky if one is feeling cruel enough.

Fast Learner and Natural Aptitudes should cover the positive aspects.

Based off what I saw with War is a Grave does create some complications.

I'm thinking War Orphan would be where I would start.

None of the Stage 2 options really strike me as great choices.  Street is probably as good as one is going to get.

For Stage 3 it sounds like the 'loonies would put them through some sort of mashup of University and Military Academy.

I'll have to re-read the passage to select fields beyond Basic Training(Naval), Ship's Crew, and whatever gives Navigation/K-F Jump.

Oh yes and OCS since she's a ship skipper.

Stage 4 we're looking at one ToD Inner Sphere.

Think Tank seems to be the character's next destined stop so I'd be tempted to add that in.

Daryk will likely beat me to stating all that out and seeing how well it works.  If not I'll see what I can do.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2021, 21:54:33 »
Don't forget you're supposed to have Pilot/Dropship to be able to take Pilot/Warship.  I've already made that mistake once...

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2021, 22:02:21 »
I mean, it shouldn't be too hard. The big problem would be if you tried to take a field that had physical prerequisites, but that's easy enough to avoid if you stay away from the military fields and stick to civilian. The only maybe possible thing is I think some of the higher level civilian ones like Think Tank requires connections. So he can be ugly, he just has to know something.

Oh. And a perfect picture would be on page 52 in ATOWC :)

Are there only limitations? Does it have to be military? Prerequisites there could be an issue.

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2021, 22:50:58 »
Fedcom (Capellan march)
White Collar
Prepartory School
University
  • Tech/Civ
  • Engineer
Think Tank
Has an INT min of 7 and Exceptional Attribute INT
Got bored (an hour in) and didn't finish it but will probably work for what your are looking for

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 11 December 2021, 08:19:24 »
I got within 300 experience using the rules, then figured, eh, it's the concept.

I used:
Lyran/Coventry Affiliation
War Orphan Stage 1
Space Family Stage 2 (given what she was recruited into)
Academy Stage 3 (with OCS)
Explorer, Tour of Duty and two Civilian Jobs Stage 4s

Major Traits:
Buffered VDNI with Triple Core Processor (the Processor gives a whopping +5 to all INT based skills, but drops BOD and CHA by 1 each)
In For Life, Handicapped -5 as described by Cannonshop

Her INT is only 7, but with the Triple Core Processor, that's WAY more than enough.  STR and BOD are 1 each (after the penalty for the Processor).  Not that AToW does Target Numbers, but if it did, her base TN for K-F Navigation is -4.

Register