Author Topic: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise  (Read 203010 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: Naval Pictures VI: A New Enterprise
« Reply #150 on: 18 December 2018, 11:06:52 »
Guys, warship pictures are fine, discussion is fine, but we're edging VERY close to modern politics with a few of these links.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #151 on: 18 December 2018, 15:22:30 »
Why not Japan have a light carrier. The carrier is more than capable of flying off F-35s, its the size of a Wasp. Not in Tonnage at least.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #152 on: 18 December 2018, 15:29:45 »
Japan's and the World's first purpose built aircraft carrier, the Hōshō.

The Hōshō was commissioned in 1922, originally designated as a  Seaplane Tender.However the design was re-worked to become what we know now as a flush-deck Aircraft Carrier.  She was completely unarmored, would carrying capacity of only 15 aircraft.

She first saw action in 1937, where she was used to engage the National Chinese aircraft in the Sino-JapaneseWar, however the ship wasn't small air compliment would not prove to be as good in combat. The ship would be return home to to act as a training carrier.

She would only other action she took was a secondary role in the Battle of Midway during World War II. She gave the main fleet some air protection, scouting, and anti-submarine coverage.

By the end of the war, it desperate need for carriers, she would be expanded with side flight deck and lengthen hull.  This proved to be too late for the war efforts.  She survived the war and was used to return troops home in 1946 before being scrapped.

Sort of ironic, now that the Izuma being refitted as a VTOL carrier. She going nearly have same air compliment as this old girl.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #153 on: 18 December 2018, 16:12:04 »
It is carrying Karnovs, right?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #154 on: 18 December 2018, 17:02:33 »
Why not Japan have a light carrier. The carrier is more than capable of flying off F-35s, its the size of a Wasp. Not in Tonnage at least.
Entirely rule-4 reasons, it's extremely political with the Japanese.  Suffice it to say they're taking deep refuge in the way everyone's renaming their ships these days and breaking away from the typical descriptions codified through WWII.  "That's not a frigate, it's a littoral combat ship!"  And so on.  Good lord, most "destroyers" these days have the firepower of WWII battleships and would be major surface combatants anyway, but nobody calls them that.

Anyone know if the Japanese are optioning straight F-35Bs or are they going to go for licensed production of a J type with local avionics and whatnot, like the F-15J and F-2?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #155 on: 18 December 2018, 17:16:31 »
What I read said straight -35Bs and also buying unspecified F-35 subclass for their land-based forces.  Not really sure the F-35 is a good replacement for the F-15Js they have anyway but it does keep their logistics simpler as long as their -35Js are not too different than the -35B.  I get that the Eagle is now a old frame and they need replacements which would incorporate the technology advancements in avionics and materials . . . but all the analysis I have read says the -35 is a generalist that is at best OK in most the roles its planned for, and tries to do it on the cheap (ish, I mean its a current gen fighter).  If they modify the -35B into their own VSTOL version, would it officially be the -35BJ?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #156 on: 18 December 2018, 18:20:18 »
From my understanding of the F-35 program (and I am 6 years out of touch), it is a worldwide partnership program. So it generally plans to avoid having J-models, I-models, S-models etc. All the program partners sign on for an A, B or C model with different Block releases but the idea is that the program partners will all share a pool of spare engines, avionics and parts, so interchangeability of these parts is paramount over customised local fitouts.
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #157 on: 18 December 2018, 19:40:49 »
From what I remember the Hosho class has space for 28 Helos. I'm sure the Air wing for a "sea control" ship will be something like 18 or 20 F35s and 6 Seahawks just like the Wasp airwing. That's a pretty strong force if the F35s all work.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #158 on: 18 December 2018, 20:02:39 »
From my understanding of the F-35 program (and I am 6 years out of touch), it is a worldwide partnership program. So it generally plans to avoid having J-models, I-models, S-models etc. All the program partners sign on for an A, B or C model with different Block releases but the idea is that the program partners will all share a pool of spare engines, avionics and parts, so interchangeability of these parts is paramount over customised local fitouts.

Yeah, its sort of NATO-fied . . . but the F-15J was IIRC not anything the US contractor built for them, Japan took delivery of the airframes and then replaced some of the electronics to their specs which made it easier for them to keep them functional since they were local sourced.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #159 on: 19 December 2018, 05:37:51 »
Well there won't be any such modifications in the 35s since Lockmart will control the avionics code except in the case of the Israeli 35i which is a special case, and even then the Israelis are installing an overlay on top of the underlying OS.

The Japanese are going to replace the older 100 of their 200-odd F-15Js with F-35As. And by old we mean really old; their things are 70s relics with no Link 16 and still firing the Sparrow rather than the AMRAAM. The F-35A is therefore a very big time upgrade over that.

Meanwhile the remaining F-15Js will continue in service, being upgraded with more modern accoutrements like datalinks, advanced PESA radars, helmet cued missiles, countermeasures, etc

The current scheduled Japan F-35 buys are for around 40 of the 35A variant, but this will be extended to about 100 of the 35A and 40 of the 35Bs for operation from the Izumos.

Without more extensive modifications than just bolting on a ramp however, the Izumos, like the older US LHDs, aren't likely to carry more than 6 to 8 F-35s. If we do see them modded, it will probably involve a deck extension

There's a manga and upcoming movie about just such a ship, titled Aircraft Carrier Ibuki. It's extremely Rule 4 :D it models what an imagined Izumo extended deck could look like:

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #160 on: 19 December 2018, 06:24:32 »
At the end of the day, the Japanese are no worse than us here in Australia.

We had our helicopter destroyers built with the ski-jump because it was going to cost to much to have Navantia build the ships without them  ???
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #161 on: 19 December 2018, 08:05:21 »
As I understand it the ramp is part of the hull structure, so removing it required a major redesign. I guess the RAN might have gotten a bit paranoid about that after the trouble with the Collins boats...

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #162 on: 19 December 2018, 08:54:25 »
At the end of the day, the Japanese are no worse than us here in Australia.

We had our helicopter destroyers built with the ski-jump because it was going to cost to much to have Navantia build the ships without them  ???

She's an amphibious assault ship, not a destroyer. :-)

As I understand it the ramp is part of the hull structure, so removing it required a major redesign. I guess the RAN might have gotten a bit paranoid about that after the trouble with the Collins boats...

Correct! There's a lot of weight in that ramp, not to mention the shape of the bow. Removing the ramp would have been very costly, and possibly compromised the ships sea keeping abilities. When I was on the deck, I looked around and wished for a go cart, a good run up, and a parachute. :-)

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #163 on: 19 December 2018, 08:57:28 »
Bit more obvious with a front view

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #164 on: 19 December 2018, 08:58:46 »
Would the Canberra class be capable of operating the F-35B if they got a detachment from, say, the UK or USMC? There's the business of needing the special deck coating but apart from that the baseline model from Navantia that they were taken from seems to be planned to do that for Spain...
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #165 on: 19 December 2018, 09:05:09 »
Would the Canberra class be capable of operating the F-35B if they got a detachment from, say, the UK or USMC? There's the business of needing the special deck coating but apart from that the baseline model from Navantia that they were taken from seems to be planned to do that for Spain...

Nope, they don't have any arrestor fittings or FW safety/survival gear. It is a relatively simple refit, we didn't meddle with the structure of the ship, just left a few bits out. It's more work and cost than a single deployment is worth though, so not likely to ever happen.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #166 on: 19 December 2018, 09:15:33 »
Nope, they don't have any arrestor fittings or FW safety/survival gear. It is a relatively simple refit, we didn't meddle with the structure of the ship, just left a few bits out. It's more work and cost than a single deployment is worth though, so not likely to ever happen.

If it's the F35 you don't need the arrestor cables with a VTOL landing even the Royal Navy's rolling landing doesn't need them the roll is very short and relatively speaking slow

EDIT my doesn't need isn't the same as a pilot would want I understand that any safety feature is a welcome one
« Last Edit: 19 December 2018, 09:17:16 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #167 on: 19 December 2018, 09:31:28 »
If it's the F35 you don't need the arrestor cables with a VTOL landing even the Royal Navy's rolling landing doesn't need them the roll is very short and relatively speaking slow

EDIT my doesn't need isn't the same as a pilot would want I understand that any safety feature is a welcome one

but how would you keep from burning holes in the deck?  That's kind of the real problem here-that jet exhaust is quite warm, blowtorching holes in your flight-deck probably wouldn't be a good or popular move with your sailors.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #168 on: 19 December 2018, 09:52:06 »
F-35 proof deck coating can be applied relatively easily. IIRC MV-22s already necessitate a significant amount of deck protection and Osprey-capable flattops just need a topup to operate F-35s.

The primary bottleneck would be pilot and ships' crew training in carrier ops.

After that there's issues of efficiency - okay, so you CAN operate F-35s, but is it worth the effort...?

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #169 on: 19 December 2018, 10:44:07 »
IIRC they did however delete the extra fuel storage that would be needed to operate F-35s for any significant amount of time.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #170 on: 19 December 2018, 13:50:08 »
She's an amphibious assault ship, not a destroyer. :-)

More useful than the frigate-protection frigates  ::) The Canberra is highly useful, but looks like a misloaded container ship :(
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #171 on: 19 December 2018, 14:13:11 »
The Canberra is highly useful, but looks like a misloaded container ship :(
Funny because it's true.   ;D  ;D  ;D
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #172 on: 19 December 2018, 14:28:02 »
If I wanted containers on deck ...

* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #173 on: 19 December 2018, 14:48:11 »
Hard to make out with the picture detail but . . . Soviet guided/cruise missile cruiser?
Colt Ward

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #174 on: 19 December 2018, 14:51:22 »
None other than the very best (visually) of them all

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #175 on: 19 December 2018, 16:51:22 »
The Slava class ship is such a neat ship with the firepower turned up to 11 on that ship.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #176 on: 19 December 2018, 16:57:53 »
Sure is a nice target you got there . . . be a shame if something happened to it . . .

Colt Ward

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #177 on: 19 December 2018, 17:10:17 »
None other than the very best (visually) of them all

The Slava Class is at that stage where it becomes awesome ridiculous.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #178 on: 19 December 2018, 20:46:14 »
16 one-shot missiles. One ripple salvo.

Maaaaaybe one sunk IS CV.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #179 on: 19 December 2018, 23:27:06 »
Its too bad that the Canberra couldn't be supplied newly made Harrier aircraft.  Its was crime they were discontinued. They would work on Canberra fine, provide support for Amphib assaults and give the fleet a degree of protection from enemy aircraft, but alot.

I wish they were able to make more if it were practical.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register