Author Topic: The Diamond Shark tank and Sea Fox preserve: Cause somebody has to start it...  (Read 236223 times)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
I guess to extrapolate on that a bit. Clan Sea Fox just doesn't make mechs. Not in 3050 or 3055. We're a Mad Dog Clan during Operation Revival. But everybody sort of is. Or maybe you just don't have to worry about making your own mechs when you sell Harjel to everybody. 

Mad Dog, Hell Bringer, & Storm Crow are all listed as Various.

As is the Hunchback-IIC.

And your correct, when you are selling Harjel, you set the price & take Omni's from everyone.

When you make the Grendel....... do you really need any other mech.... that thing is unkillable.

TRO - 3055 - We make Warhammer IIC's, Rifleman IIC's and Pheonix Hawk IIC's.
TRO - 3058 - Mongrel (Grendel) (facility that makes it is gone though.)
TRO - 3058 - Piranha
TRO - 3058 - Thresher
TRO - 3060 - Highlander IIC (From the same plant that brought you the Grendel.)
Everything else we get through blood and harjel lads.

You say that like its a bad thing.  lol
When your cranking out 4 Omni's & a boatload of 2nd line mechs & can buy anything you want as THE merchant-warrior clan, your sitting fine & dandy if you ask me.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Asked this on another post, but I want to get the Shark Fox  view on it. Would the Sharks try to sell Protos to IS powers?

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
Asked this on another post, but I want to get the Shark Fox  view on it. Would the Sharks try to sell Protos to IS powers?
I believe the answer is "yes," but I also believe the demand is fairly low, so each power would probably buy a star or two at most for R&D purposes.  That said, I would not expect the Shark Foxes to sell primarily older equipment (probably Clan Nova Cat surplus after the Jihad).

Note that, even if the IS buys ProtoMechs, they are unlikely to actually field them due to the requirements for piloting ProtoMechs (EI implants and I believe a drug cocktail).  But that's not the Shark Foxes' problem.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Yeah, I was going to say... Nobody to pilot them in the Inner Sphere.

Keep in mind the only people using Protomechs in 3145 are Clan Snow Raven and Clan Hell's Horses.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Apparently Shark Week is happening. Seems like we should do something for it.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Good News fellow Shark Foxes. It looks like Julian Davion was successfully delivered to the Federated Suns.

Good job Tiburon Khanate.

Drewbacca

• Major
OK, fellow Sharklings, honesty time.

I am not a fan of the direction the Clan took in the Dark Ages. I can see why it happened, but it seems like an attempt to sweep the Clan to the side, to take a potential player and sideline them or to say, "nah, we have enough Clan/Sphere joint realms, hey here is a cargo ship, go sell something."

But for the sake of honesty, I have to say I have only a bit of knowledge on the clan and what happened in the Dark Ages. Maybe there is a really good reason that Clan Diamond Fox became Fuller Brush salesmen.

If I wanted to dive deep, no pun intended, into why the clan is what it is, where do I get the info?

Drewbacca

• Major
Wait a minute? Did the Sharks not go in with protomechs? That seems very odd.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
Wait a minute? Did the Sharks not go in with protomechs? That seems very odd.

They had some during the Jihad, but never really became big users.  While the Sharkfoxes are still a warrior society, I get the impression that they tend to value the lives of their members perhaps a little moreso than other Clans, given that they have the option to retire to the Merchant Caste with no loss of honor.  Hard to collect on that retirement when you've gone nuts, right?
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Drewbacca

• Major
Now I thought the only real threat was the god complex. And that could be watched for. Also, econimically speaking they seem like a good fit. Plus the fluff says proto points are very tight knit, which also fits to the sharks. Oh well. It is what it is.

Maelwys

• Major
The insanity from EI can take multiple forms, it isn't just one issue.

Drewbacca

• Major
Darn it, Sharks, you put your entire clan in tin cans jumping through space but get started with "risky" protomechs? That's crazy talk!

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
Darn it, Sharks, you put your entire clan in tin cans jumping through space but get started with "risky" protomechs? That's crazy talk!

Again, during the Jihad they picked up some, they just never got into it in a big way.  One of the notable pilots for the Basilisk (which was during the Jihad) is a Diamond Shark.

Also consider that the Protomech was designed as a way to get Mech Levels of mobility at sub-mech prices.  The Horses liked combined arms and notably had a hard time getting some Mech Factories set up in their OZ, and the Ravens got the living crap kicked out of them before coming to the Sphere, and are cash strapped to the point that a good chunk of what was left of their Warship fleet was mothballed because it was too expensive to keep running with the resources they had on hand.  Both of them basically needed any ground forces they could get.

The Sharks escaped from the Homeworlds with relatively little damage compared to their contemporaries (aside from the Bears, who got the heck out of dodge waaaaay earlier), and by virtue of being the Merchant Clan (and by virtue of whatever they've got going on in the Deep Periphery) tend to be one of the more resource rich Clans.  Since not many factions use Protomechs, not much point in making them for sale, and since they're risky and the Sharkfoxes can afford better, hey, why not spring for the fullblown Mech?

(Keep in mind most of this is based on JKLantern logic, so please take it with a grain of salt.)
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Getting old isn't as big of a deal in Clan Sea Fox/Diamond Shark. You're able to retire to another Caste to continue serving the clan.

EI makes that impossible. We've always been good at medical technology but that's a lot of surgery and implants so that you can lose productivity. Not to mention we live in tightly knit communities because we ride on ships. Never share a fox hole with crazy....

I actually wasn't interested in Clan Diamond Shark really. It was the transition in the Dark Ages that made me like them. The Dark Ages put the clan in the foreground rather than sweeping it to the side. Wizkids essentially used the Clan as a plot device to proliferate Clan material throughout Republic factions...

But a lot of that sold material was won through trials. Since then we've been involved in transporting Julian Davion and helped form the Clan Protectorate. Tiburon Khanate gets to fight clans all day and we're kind of butting heads with the Capellan Confederation. We even have a cool super secret base.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Clan Sea Fox gets to be "Clan Freedom".  The other Clans are in love with their own restrictions.

The Dark Age shook things up and no other Clan gets to grow as amazingly fast and spread so far. 

Unless the Home Clans have done something. 

Have they?  :))  Anything yet?  Ummmm...  ilClan??
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
Clan Sea Fox gets to be "Clan Freedom".  The other Clans are in love with their own restrictions.

The Dark Age shook things up and no other Clan gets to grow as amazingly fast and spread so far. 

Unless the Home Clans have done something. 

Have they?  :))  Anything yet?  Ummmm...  ilClan??

Turns out the Steel Vipers weren't actually dead and have taken over all the Homeworlds.  Surprise!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?

Turns out the Steel Vipers weren't actually dead and have taken over all the Homeworlds.  Surprise!

What a plot twist!  I was hoping the Blood Spirits were hiding on yet another secret planet and waiting for everyone else to bleed out in the detainting process.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
What a plot twist!  I was hoping the Blood Spirits were hiding on yet another secret planet and waiting for everyone else to bleed out in the detainting process.

That was the Blood Spirits' plan...until the Vipers found the world and hid there in their bid to become ilClan, headed by Zombie Brett Andrews and the headless body of Nicholas Kerensky.  Clan Sea Fox is the only one who can stop them.

...I haven't gotten much sleep this week, does it show?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?

...I haven't gotten much sleep this week, does it show?

Yes, but that's when you are at your best.  Over-thinking leads to worse creative decisions.  Like the Star Wars prequels. 

Good thing the Sea Foxes have been making better SW movies ever since they bought the franchise from New Avalon Disney Mouse House.  After 1,000 years, that crap got stale.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
So the Star Adders are merely zombie hunters? Interesting....

Anyways: the Sea Foxes/Diamond Sharks still fought hard in both the Jihad and the Wars of Reaving and lost a boatload of Jumpships and Dropships but with the conversion into ArcShips and the rebranding of their Clan they've adapted well to the Inner Sphere. They fulfill a role for the Galaxy at large and therefore are tolerated across the sphere. Meanwhile their power continues to grow but they dont overreach with it and I think (despite being a Ghost Bear) that they are one of the top remaining Clans.

That being said: if anyone hasn't seen yet ... Shattered Fortress :)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?

I saw that a little ago.  So the next phase of BattleTech was basically on hold until recently? I knew ilClan was going to be a tremendous work, but I thought it would have moved faster than that.

Not that I'm complaining. 

I hope the Sea Foxes have huge role in it all.  I remember that they are transporting Julian Davion back to New Avalon in exchange for more planets and business deals.  I hope that leads to an even stronger Clan Sea Fox. 

I like all the Clans, but the SharkFoxes always captured my imagination.  Especially since the Diamond Sharks returned to their Sea Fox roots.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
They are. Standard Battlemechs are easier and cheaper to make and command higher margins.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
So the Star Adders are merely zombie hunters? Interesting....

Anyways: the Sea Foxes/Diamond Sharks still fought hard in both the Jihad and the Wars of Reaving and lost a boatload of Jumpships and Dropships but with the conversion into ArcShips and the rebranding of their Clan they've adapted well to the Inner Sphere. They fulfill a role for the Galaxy at large and therefore are tolerated across the sphere. Meanwhile their power continues to grow but they dont overreach with it and I think (despite being a Ghost Bear) that they are one of the top remaining Clans.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
Oh I got it: but the imagery of the Star Adders fighting a zombified IlKhan or two is a hilarious thought.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
I saw that a little ago.  So the next phase of BattleTech was basically on hold until recently? I knew ilClan was going to be a tremendous work, but I thought it would have moved faster than that.
originally there was going to be a timeskip after it, similar to the timeskip between the end of the jihad to the late dark ages. time skip forward, set up the new timeframe, then release some stuff covering events during the timeskip later.
this would have let them worked out the finer details of some of inter-era events at a slower pace.

however, when this was announced awhile back, a lot of people didn't like it, vocally so, so they scrapped that plan and are having to work up all that stuff now leading to whatever this future era is going to be. since events from 3150+ are going to tie into the events of 3145-3150, they are also having to make sure Ilclan sets up everything they will need for near term events. which is extra work.

it doesn't help either that they've undergone a development leader changeover, and the lawsuit with harmony Gold (which put a lot of stuff on hold that otherwise should have been out already, delaying Ilclan.)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major

Annnnnd we have a new sigline.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Now that the Aimag is back together we should take a moment of silence for the passing of Victor Milan.

He gave us Master Merchant Senna Rodriguez and her catch phrase, "It'll cost you."

May he find much happiness in his next decanting. Seyla.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan

Annnnnd we have a new sigline.

Hahaha. I'm honored.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?

it doesn't help either that they've undergone a development leader changeover, and the lawsuit with harmony Gold (which put a lot of stuff on hold that otherwise should have been out already, delaying Ilclan.)

I noticed that as well.  New captains of a ship need time to set the course.

And as for the lawsuit, "dismissed with prejudice" sounds like things went well.  And as it should.  Not like Harmony Gold invented the classic mechs, either.  Bunch of feculent legal maneuvers that tied up courts, companies and fans for too long. 

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Now that the Aimag is back together we should take a moment of silence for the passing of Victor Milan.

He gave us Master Merchant Senna Rodriguez and her catch phrase, "It'll cost you."

May he find much happiness in his next decanting. Seyla.

Seyla.  He weaved many an important tale for this game universe.

Glad to be back.  Hell, I'm just glad to have an aimag to come back to.

Life is a strange journey at times.  Glad to recharge the KF drives here at bg.battletech.