Author Topic: Information Update - The Black Thorns and Rubinsky's Light Horse  (Read 20118 times)

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
I was wondering if there's any new information out on these two units. I heard the the BT might have been accidently nuked. Thanks

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
The Black Thorns were in fact nuked.  this was discovered when an author wanted to do a Black Thorns story for Battlecorps, and someone was running background and saw that the last planet they were garrisoning, Galedon V,  was in fact pretty thoroughly sterilized.  According to Rumor the reaction from Herb was "ooops."
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
It is unclear if the Black Thorns were nuked, orbitally bombarded or died of the Galedon Plague. Their battlefield use is the same either way.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
It is unclear if the Black Thorns were nuked, orbitally bombarded or died of the Galedon Plague. Their battlefield use is the same either way.

I like to envision a race between the Plague causing mortality while a beam of particles from an NPPC is racing down. Then run that like a chase montage.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Dread Moores

• Captain
For Rubinsky's Light Horse, the last I remember hearing was in FM: Mercs Supplemental Update. They helped in the defense of Blackjack against the Jade Falcons in 3069. They handle the first group of forces, but when reinforcements showed up, they bugged out.

Decoy

• Captain
I like to envision a race between the Plague causing mortality while a beam of particles from an NPPC is racing down. Then run that like a chase montage.

Paul

*Ques up Yakity Sax*

For Rubinsky's Light Horse, the last I remember hearing was in FM: Mercs Supplemental Update. They helped in the defense of Blackjack against the Jade Falcons in 3069. They handle the first group of forces, but when reinforcements showed up, they bugged out.

Rubinksy's is in Field Report LAAF, IIRC.

Dread Moores

• Captain
Rubinksy's is in Field Report LAAF, IIRC.

Yeah, but the only two times they are mentioned is to say "They're at this strength and currently stationed here" and to mark them on a map. :)

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
Hello,

The Black Thorns were in fact nuked.  this was discovered when an author wanted to do a Black Thorns story for Battlecorps, and someone was running background and saw that the last planet they were garrisoning, Galedon V,  was in fact pretty thoroughly sterilized.  According to Rumor the reaction from Herb was "ooops." "Really? Ah, that's just too bad..." (with a smile on his face).

Fixed that for you.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

*Note: The aforementioned post is NOT a "trolling" attempt; that's really what happened.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2011, 17:12:13 by HABeas2 »

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
I think it's safe to say that the destruction of the Black Thorns is one of the Top 5 Most Iconic Moments of the Jihad.

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
I think it's safe to say that the destruction of the Black Thorns is one of the Top 5 Most Iconic Moments of the Jihad.
I would disagree.  For it to be a moment there has to be something singular you can point to.  But there hasn't been anything to point to.  No mention in a sourceboook.  No Battlecorps story.  The destruction of the Black Thorns was an oversight, not a moment.  If there was a Battlecorps story, I think it would have the potential to be quite epic, but until there is something detailing their last days, I think it is hard to call their destruction a "moment."
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel

I think it's safer to say that the destruction of the Black Thorns is irrelevant.

Paul

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
I think it's safer to say that the destruction of the Black Thorns is irrelevant.

Paul

Nah...I think it's safe to say that their destruction as just as much relevance as their life...

IOW's, it's highly relevant to themselves, to those they've helped, and perhaps to those they've killed...but little to anyone else...

:D

Ruger (and, yes...I happened to be one of the relatively few that actually really liked the unit...)
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
I am surprised they made it this long. Rose is one of the most idiotic characters in CBT fiction.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel

Paul

Except for those who were Black Thorns.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
Except for those who were Black Thorns.

If they had a conscience, they'd know they had it coming, and would welcome their atomizing doom.

Paul

haesslich

• Lieutenant

Iconic?  Nah.  Produced the best story about events out-of-universe involving the Jihad?  It's ranked #1 in my books, especially with how Herb mentioned the 'ah, that's just too bad' offhand remark to accompany the smile.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
The fact this question keeps popping up on the forum proves the Black Thorns had some fans but they where low on the totem pole when your checking the Wobbie body count. The fact that they where killed three times over and no one notice speaks volumes.

Hey, it was a better end then what the GDL got in Dying Time.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

jcherrin

• Sergeant
What about Rubinsky's Light Horse?

Actually more interested in tracing the fates of Candace Liao's line through the Dark Age.

IIRC, we only have confirmed (though not necessarily expounded on) fates for Kai and Melissa AL.  None on Deidre, David Lear, Cassandra, Kuan-Yin, or Quint. :P

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
The Thorns deserved everything they got and more, if for no other reason than for the cover of D.R.T.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
The cover of D.R.T. is one of the tragedys of Battletech covers, though it did get one of my ex's to read a Battletech novel. Maybe people might have an easier time if they had a story of the final moments of th "e Black Thorns up on Battlecorp. You know, Jeremiah looks up and see's the nuclear holocaust coming his way and his last words "I knew today was a bad day to stop sniffing glue."
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Maybe people might have an easier time if they had a story of the final moments of th "e Black Thorns up on Battlecorp. You know, Jeremiah looks up and see's the nuclear holocaust coming his way and his last words "I knew today was a bad day to stop sniffing glue."

Be right back, workign on that right now.

But seriously, when I found out that the Black Thorns had died of oversight, I laughed and laughed. Then I told a friend who still has his copy of Dire Red Thong, and he laughed. We laughed till we cried. We laughed till it hurt. And then we laughed some more.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving bunch of guys.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Dread Moores

• Captain
The cover of D.R.T will never inspire the hatred that reading Main Event did.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
The cover of D.R.T will never inspire the hatred that reading Main Event did.

I'll see your Main Event and raise you The Ruins of Paper Power.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
I bought Ruins of Power, it was literally painful to read. Worst $5.99 I ever spent and ironically one of the better book covers up to that point.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
The Thorns deserved everything they got and more, if for no other reason than for the cover of D.R.T.

...because you liked it.

^-^

guardiandashi

• Major
ok mabie I am one of the people who has rather different tastes but I liked the black thorns aka the scrappy little unit that could :p

frankly the novels that were high up on my personal list of "suckage/hard to read" were:

the dieing time
the warriors of kerensky arc not so much for the story, but for the lets spend 1 /2 to 1 chapter following this char, lets spend the next chapter following this char .... through 10 chapters before it goes back to the 1st char for another chapter and 3/4 of the chars NEVER MEET UP until the 2nd or 3rd book in the trillogy.

I am sure there are more but those were the ones that come to mind 1st

Dread Moores

• Captain

I'd re-read The Ruins of Power three times before I'd re-read Main Event once. I'd re-read both of them a few hundred times before I ever successfully finish the Warrior trilogy.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
I'd re-read The Ruins of Power three times before I'd re-read Main Event once. I'd re-read both of them a few hundred times before I ever successfully finish the Warrior trilogy.
...I'm pretty sure your mind broke somewhere between the 3rd reading of Ruins and you second pass at Main Event. It's only way I can think anyone can re-read ether book more than once.

What about Rubinsky's Light Horse?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
And I'll see all of that and give you Star Lord and Far Country back-to-back
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?