Author Topic: The Diamond Shark tank and Sea Fox preserve: Cause somebody has to start it...  (Read 236180 times)

Armond

• Sergeant
I am resurrecting this because this was the earliest Clan Diamond Shark/Sea Fox one I could find!

How does the Clan feel about the Grendel/Mongrel?

Archangel

• Major
Mad Cat (don't call them Timber Wolves ;)) Mk IVs, Nagasawa Class DropShips, Pocket WarShips (on special orders only, prepaid of course ;))
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Armond

• Sergeant
Mad Cat (don't call them Timber Wolves ;)) Mk IVs, Nagasawa Class DropShips, Pocket WarShips (on special orders only, prepaid of course ;))

I am a bit lost, are you just saying go with the Mk IVs and disregard the Grendel?  I do t think the Mad Cat IV existed in Clan Invasion era. 

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
I am a bit lost, are you just saying go with the Mk IVs and disregard the Grendel?  I do t think the Mad Cat IV existed in Clan Invasion era.

It didn't. You were unclear on which era you were talking about.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Armond

• Sergeant
I was for sure unclear, sorry for that.  Trying to wrap my head around how this particular thread works. 

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
I was for sure unclear, sorry for that.  Trying to wrap my head around how this particular thread works.
Basically these type of threads work at any specific time, they're general threads for each Clan or faction. If you're looking for info specific to a time frame just mention it and folks should follow along.

As for the Grendel, I think the base chassis is great, some of the variants are good, just not my favorites. The Prime, D, and H are the better ones in my mind. The A and E are also good.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Basically these type of threads work at any specific time, they're general threads for each Clan or faction. If you're looking for info specific to a time frame just mention it and folks should follow along.

That's why the Chatterweb subforum is still distinct from the Inner Sphere factions subforum.  In the "current" timeline, there are are no Clan factions that aren't also Inner Sphere factions :)

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
I am resurrecting this because this was the earliest Clan Diamond Shark/Sea Fox one I could find!

How does the Clan feel about the Grendel/Mongrel?

It's a decent Clan Medium mech. The chassis is fast and mobile. The Prime, A and D configs are all good, though the others are less so. I doubt I'd use the C for anything other than a duel with a low-end Aerospace fighter.

Armond

• Sergeant

As for the Grendel, I think the base chassis is great, some of the variants are good, just not my favorites. The Prime, D, and H are the better ones in my mind. The A and E are also good.

Thanks for the clarification! 

I am probably leaning towards a Striker Nova, will be having 2-3 points of Gnomes and 2-3 points of Elementals.  I just haven't decided yet.  The A, D, and Prime Variant all scream to me. I think the B seems pretty decent too, the potential to hit a little better after jumping around with the Pulse lasers is attractive.

What if I want one of each in a Star?  Lol

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Well Gnomes are more of a Horse BA than Fox/Shark.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Except IIRC by MWDA they are selling them . . .

. . . during the Jihad?  I could see the Horses trading some as they settle into their OZ.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

sadlerbw

• Captain
Since this is back from the dead, might as well ask here: Do we have any official unit color schemes for the Dark Age Sea Foxes? I was going to paint some up, but didn't see anything on CSO. I suppose I could just pick one of the existing color schemes and say part of that galaxy ended up in whatever Khanate, but I find that less than ideal. I tried poking thorough FM:3145, but it didn't seem to have anything to say.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
I would suggest looking for Tiburons on CSO . . . they are MWDA mechs and I think some are painted up.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
Searching for khanate on Camospecs should get you the necessary color schemes. The Sea Fox page doesn't seem to list anything.

Armond

• Sergeant
Well Gnomes are more of a Horse BA than Fox/Shark.

TT

I could see this.  The MUL shows them available for use by the Clan in the Clan Invasion era.  I figure limited numbers would be acceptable, especially in frontline Omnimechs Stars!

sadlerbw

• Captain
Searching for khanate on Camospecs should get you the necessary color schemes. The Sea Fox page doesn't seem to list anything.

Thanks, that did it!

I'm thinking ilKhanate because there are no mechs posted yet in that scheme...so I don't have to weep over how crap my paint jobs are compared to the CSO artists!

Oh, and let me just say, the Foxes get some very tasty equipment in the Dark Ages. In addition to all the Nova Cat leftovers they seem to have retained and the equipment they will sell to anyone, they have some very nice picks from the IS to fill out the lower end of their 3145 RAT as well. For instance, the Men Shen is about the best medium omni the IS has to offer, and the Foxes have access to it. It isn't just the mechs either. On the Aero tables, they get some nice IS stuff like the Dagger and Eisensturm. The Sea Foxes are some seriously dangerous folks in 3145.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Though the Men Shen may not be much longer. We'll see with the Ilclan. But Tiburon Khanate is driving a Davion around right now.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Terrace

• Lieutenant
Hey, question about the Sea Fox merchant business. Do they produce and sell Clantech ASFs (both Omni and not) to anyone with money, just like they do with 'Mechs, and if so, what does their inventory for such look like in each era?

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Hey, question about the Sea Fox merchant business. Do they produce and sell Clantech ASFs (both Omni and not) to anyone with money, just like they do with 'Mechs, and if so, what does their inventory for such look like in each era?

The MUL can answer what they have. And it seems fairly safe to assume that anything they have they're willing to sell to whover can pay their price.

Although, that list only appears good for ASFs.  Small craft, DropShips and WarShips/JumpShips are clearly not yet fully integrated into the MUL.
« Last Edit: 13 June 2017, 15:47:09 by Tai Dai Cultist »

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
I'm sure there's some stuff that gets held back, either specific variants or entire designs. Just look at the Tiburon, that one they keep for themselves.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
I'm sure there's some stuff that gets held back, either specific variants or entire designs. Just look at the Tiburon, that one they keep for themselves.

I'd imagine the Tiburon not being open for export is an anomaly rather than the published tip of an unpublished iceberg.  Sea Foxes don't seem to be the sort to deny themselves profit by not selling someone something they want to buy.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Ya'll should know: Which sourcebooks should I be looking at to get a good idea of how the Diamond sharks are doing in various parts of space in the Civil War, Jihad and Dark Age eras?

I have them set as an ally in some material I am righting for my own AU, but at present I am trying to figure out how I should write up what I want to happen, and I would like to get a better picture of how they are in canon.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan

There is also a variant of the Mad Cat Mk. II that is just for officers.

Era also matters. They started with the Ha Otoko. Mad Cat Mk II's were the first clan tech product the Diamond Sharks offered to the Sphere.

I'm honestly not sure where clan air frames are manufactured. They are ancient.

I've been asking for some Sea Fox and Snow Raven omni fighters since they are aerospace based factions and the other clan omni's are from the golden Era or something...

Anyways. Clan Sea Fox produced the Hydaspes on Twycross so... there is that.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
So an amendment.

Two clan omni fighters were built a few decades before the invasion...

The only omni fighters confirmed being built in the inner sphere are from the snow ravens. Crest Foundries makes the Bashkir, Sabutai and the Scytha.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
Ya'll should know: Which sourcebooks should I be looking at to get a good idea of how the Diamond sharks are doing in various parts of space in the Civil War, Jihad and Dark Age eras?

I have them set as an ally in some material I am righting for my own AU, but at present I am trying to figure out how I should write up what I want to happen, and I would like to get a better picture of how they are in canon.

Invading Clans so you can watch them get their ass kicked on Tukayyid. Field Manual Warden Clans so you can see them get rid of Hawker. Field Manual Updates to see them help the Nova Cats and Ghost Bears move.  Wars of Reaving to see them actually do something. They push the Steel Vipers around and smash them to pieces. Then a monolithic battleship arrives and they run for their lives...

Then read the novel hunters of the deep.

Clan Sea Fox is different. They are nomadic wandering traders. A Warrior Merchant shows up in a Tiburon and cuts a deal / fights some trials on your planet. Sells you some information about stuff happening during the blackout. Then moves on.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
I'd imagine the Tiburon not being open for export is an anomaly rather than the published tip of an unpublished iceberg.  Sea Foxes don't seem to be the sort to deny themselves profit by not selling someone something they want to buy.

I'm not sure why it is exclusive. I imagine marketing. It's actually built for Warrior Traders. All the weapons are hidden. So its basically a warrior trader car...

Until you challenge them to a trial. Then it's a min maxed nightmare.

Cryhavok101

• Captain
Invading Clans so you can watch them get their ass kicked on Tukayyid. Field Manual Warden Clans so you can see them get rid of Hawker. Field Manual Updates to see them help the Nova Cats and Ghost Bears move.  Wars of Reaving to see them actually do something. They push the Steel Vipers around and smash them to pieces. Then a monolithic battleship arrives and they run for their lives...

Then read the novel hunters of the deep.

Clan Sea Fox is different. They are nomadic wandering traders. A Warrior Merchant shows up in a Tiburon and cuts a deal / fights some trials on your planet. Sells you some information about stuff happening during the blackout. Then moves on.

Thanks! I'll check those out. I have Wars of Reaving, but not any of the others. How likely is an alliance/working relationship with the whole clan, or are they broken into subfactions like the mandrills? Does one of those books go into more detail about their organizations structure, especially Jihad and Dark Age era?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
So an amendment.

Two clan omni fighters were built a few decades before the invasion...

The only omni fighters confirmed being built in the inner sphere are from the snow ravens. Crest Foundries makes the Bashkir, Sabutai and the Scytha.

Also the Raven's Wusun on Ramora and the Bear's Ostragoth on Alshain. Both of those are courtesy of TRO 3085.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
Thanks! I'll check those out. I have Wars of Reaving, but not any of the others. How likely is an alliance/working relationship with the whole clan, or are they broken into subfactions like the mandrills? Does one of those books go into more detail about their organizations structure, especially Jihad and Dark Age era?
Field Manual 3145, starting on pg 151 has some good info on the divisions. Also, the Touring the Stars articles from MWDA has good info too. The MWDA stuff was written by Herb and other folks that are or were BT writers/developers, but it's semi-canon. Kind of it's canon until something is published by Catalyst that says otherwise. http://bg.battletech.com/download/DarkAge_Touring_the_Stars.pdf?x64300

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan

The novels hunters of the deep and to ride the chimera go into a bit more detail. But only of the free world's league Spina Khanate.

Era Report 3145 and Field Manual 3145 talk the most about the Sea Foxes.

Each Aimag is seperate. There are differences between Khanates and Aimags.

But they are still Sea Foxes. If you are a good customer they are going to be friendly.

Keep in mind there are lots of epithets in the Dark Ages about how likely people are to become trapped by Sea Foxes.

If you read Hunters of the Deep and To Ride The Chimera, or even the small moment they show up in that Jade Falcon book by Milan they are pretty friendly though...

Just know that any interaction with them will cost you something. They'll be upfront about what it costs unless you cross them. Then they'll take whatever they can and give nothing back.