Author Topic: Greatest General/Military Commander of all time?  (Read 11474 times)

Imperium

• Sergeant
  • Politics by Other Means
Greatest General/Military Commander of all time?
« on: 27 May 2020, 18:47:27 »
I think everyone knows who I will pick, but what general from ancient history to the modern era do you think is the greatest of all time and why?
" ALL WAR, is an extension of Politics." Carl Von Clausewitz, summarizing the Napoleonic Wars

"War therefore is an act of violence intended to compel our opponent to fulfil our will." Clausewitz, Ibid.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: Greatest General/Military Commander of all time?
« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2020, 19:07:22 »
Hannibal Barca.  He survived for over a decade in hostile lands without reinforcements, and had Rome at its knees, even if he ultimately could not take the Eternal City.  In death, he became a boogeyman used to terrorize children before bed.

All that, and because elephants. 

Note the no elephants were harmed in the writing of this post.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Imperium

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 27 May 2020, 19:28:46 »
Hannibal Barca.  He survived for over a decade in hostile lands without reinforcements, and had Rome at its knees, even if he ultimately could not take the Eternal City.  In death, he became a boogeyman used to terrorize children before bed.

All that, and because elephants. 

Note the no elephants were harmed in the writing of this post.

"Over the Alps perhaps! He will lose half his army from attrition alone, and the other half would desert. Do you expect the Gauls to welcome him when he arrives? I suppose he will bring with him an army of Elephants! I Dare Say that would be quite a feat, even for the Great Hannibal Barca!" - Skeptical Roman Senator.
" ALL WAR, is an extension of Politics." Carl Von Clausewitz, summarizing the Napoleonic Wars

"War therefore is an act of violence intended to compel our opponent to fulfil our will." Clausewitz, Ibid.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 May 2020, 19:43:35 »
Hannibal is a good choice  :thumbsup:

but I will go with George S. Patton:
Olympic Athlete in 1912 - competed in modern pentathlon finished 5th.  And if the comment that his .38 pistol shots might have put 2 bullets though 1 hole, he could have won a medal.  Instead the judge rule he missed completely.
Designed the 1913 Cavalry Sword, last 1 issues as warfare was changing, but also published 2 manual on the use in mounted and unmounted swordsmanship, "Saber Exercise 1914", and "Diary of the Instructor in Swordsmanship".
One of the real fathers of the motorized warfare in USA.  Who beleived that Tanks should independant force not Inf support
Possible had 1 of the last real "Old West" gunfights while serving as part of the 1916's Pancho Villa Expedition.
And was either Loved or/and Hated by his men (my grandfather in WWII served in a recon unit under his command in Europe, RIP Grandfather) but either way he was able to get more out of them then thought possible at times.

Honestly he was a fighting general but not a political one.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 27 May 2020, 19:56:38 »
Patton was the first name that popped into my head, too.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #5 on: 27 May 2020, 19:57:47 »
I considered Patton for my choice, as well.  Excellent choice.  "A good plan now is better than a perfect plan next week". 

That, and he was a fellow poker player.  I'd love to sit with him in a Texas Hold'em tourney.    :thumbsup:
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 27 May 2020, 20:04:57 »
+1 for Patton
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 27 May 2020, 21:01:41 »
Georgy Zhukov. Not a "nice" choice, but the man won battles. And was chosen to be the one to accept the German surrender.

Good enough to be lucky to survive Stalin's paranoia.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Imperium

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 27 May 2020, 21:30:08 »
Georgy Zhukov. Not a "nice" choice, but the man won battles. And was chosen to be the one to accept the German surrender.

Uncle Joe often times complained about how he needed to do something about Zhukov for being too popular, "but he never failed me. " The jolly old figure would muse.

I considered Patton for my choice, as well.  Excellent choice.  "A good plan now is better than a perfect plan next week". 

Sounds similar to Napoleon's phrase, "I may lose a battle, but I never lose a minute. " Makes you wonder if these military thinkers ever study one another. Of course this leads to the phrase at the time of Napoleon's men: “the Emperor makes war not with our arms but with our legs”, as he was able to defeat enemies through attaining numerical superiority and surprise by utilizing forced marches (this was of course aided by his tactical doctrine of having his Corps (army divisions) "March separately but fight together. " With no Corps more then a days march away from another at any time. )

BTW I am not sure, but did Patton and Rommel ever face each other directly?
« Last Edit: 27 May 2020, 21:38:17 by Imperium »

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 27 May 2020, 21:31:40 »

And Jason Isaacs is bloody spectacular as him in The Death of Stalin!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Imperium

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 27 May 2020, 21:38:38 »
And Jason Isaacs is bloody spectacular as him in The Death of Stalin!

I cried so hard over that!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2020, 22:35:06 »
alexander and zhukov
hands down
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #12 on: 28 May 2020, 01:21:54 »
Very difficult to determine who was the best because of the time periods/technology/land conquered and least casualties.

Is the best general/commander based upon least casualties because of his planning and execution? General Schwarzkopf wins the 1st Gulf war in 100 hrs. An unprecedented victory.

Most Land conquered? Alexander the great and Hannibal. However, they were not at war with any one country, but just wanted to conquer because they were just land grabbing for the time period.

Best Napoleonic general? Napoleon and Duke of Wellington

Best American Civil War general? Grant and Sherman.

Best WWI general? Douglas Haig

Best WWII general? Zhukov, Patton and Rommel.

and on and on and on...

Too many parameters to determine who was the best of all time, but if given only one choice, General Schwarzkopf. Least allied casualties, shortest time ever conquering a country from an enemy and destroying nearly 100% of the third largest military in the world at the time, all in 100 hours. The US politicians that wanted to complain about casualties and stopping the war never had a chance. It was over so quickly. That also was unprecedented.

However, that was just one war and not a global war either...

Even Alexander the great, Hannibal and Napoleon didn't fight a global war...

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2020, 01:52:31 »
I've always liked the "history" of Han Xin from about 200 B.C China.
There may have been more spectacular leaders in battle, but no other had his skills at grand strategy, planning long term campaigns for both economy of resources as well as political goals. He also had no issues like an out of control ego, serving Liu Bang selflessly out of duty and gratitude....right up until he was betrayed and murdered...  ;D
I quoted "history" because the sources are decidedly....poetic... and the ancient Chinese were masters of revisionist history for propaganda  purposes, and while they typically didn't fly and shoot lasers from thier eyes, Chinese historical heroes were pretty improbable.  ;)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 28 May 2020, 02:16:20 »
There's no such thing as a 'Best WW1 General' Once it got to the trenches, every general on either side was nothing more than a butcher who sent soldiers out to die like lambs to the slaughter.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #15 on: 28 May 2020, 02:34:59 »
Patton was a good General but he had zero view for grand strategy or working with anyone else. The threat to the planet with the gravitational pull of putting him and monty's ego's in the same room was bad enough, add MacArthur into the mix and the sheer weight of their combined ego's would have formed a black hole.

Rommel too is over hyped, yes he was a good field commander but he came along at the right time when the British forces were exhausted and at the end of a long supply line. And he also had not much of a strategic view of things. Plus I feel Rommel gets off way too lightly as a 'nice' German Officer in WW2, for some reason he's got a better reputation than many Allied commanders post WW2.

As for the 'best' thats so hard to quantify, i'd put Alexander the Great up there though.

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

David CGB

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: 28 May 2020, 03:02:05 »
Hannibal is a good choice  :thumbsup:

but I will go with George S. Patton:
Olympic Athlete in 1912 - competed in modern pentathlon finished 5th.  And if the comment that his .38 pistol shots might have put 2 bullets though 1 hole, he could have won a medal.  Instead the judge rule he missed completely.
Designed the 1913 Cavalry Sword, last 1 issues as warfare was changing, but also published 2 manual on the use in mounted and unmounted swordsmanship, "Saber Exercise 1914", and "Diary of the Instructor in Swordsmanship".
One of the real fathers of the motorized warfare in USA.  Who beleived that Tanks should independant force not Inf support
Possible had 1 of the last real "Old West" gunfights while serving as part of the 1916's Pancho Villa Expedition.
And was either Loved or/and Hated by his men (my grandfather in WWII served in a recon unit under his command in Europe, RIP Grandfather) but either way he was able to get more out of them then thought possible at times.

Honestly he was a fighting general but not a political one.
Yes very skilled, very skilled with true insight
Federated Suns fan forever, Ghost Bear Fan since 1992, and as a Ghost Bear David Bekker star captain (in an Alt TL Loremaster)

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #17 on: 28 May 2020, 08:51:06 »
Alexander the Great

The clue is in the name
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #18 on: 28 May 2020, 10:02:56 »

Genghis (call me Temujin) Khan.

Ho Chi Min

Alexander (third of his name in the line of Macedon) the Great

Julius (call me Gaius) Caesar

Napoleon (di Buonaparte) Bonaparte and Hannibal (son of Hamilcar) Barca (honorable mentions)

IMO, to earn the title of GOAT military commander, you have to demonstrate tactical wizardry, strategic genius, and beloved, visionary leadership.  Oh, and you have to win in the end.

I can think of tactical wizards like Guderian, Jackson, Lee, Leonidas, Patton, and Rommel.  These are the guys that understand maneuver and terrain and win battles.  But they either missed the big strategic picture or never got a chance to make those kinds of decisions.

I can think of strategic geniuses like Eisenhower, Grant, Ivar the Boneless, MacArthur, Themistocles, and Zhukov.  These are the guys that understand supply and logistics (theirs and the enemy’s) and how to flex national power to win wars.  But their battlefield record is either less impressive than the first group or not well known to us.

Many in both these groups were beloved by their men and/or visionary leaders.

But only Genghis, Min, Alex, and Caesar demonstrate all three attributes.  All four showed their tactical wizardry in specific battles and/or in the revolutionary tactics their forces put on display.  All four were strategic geniuses who understood the relative strengths and weaknesses of their nations and enemies in depth and employed them accordingly to win wars.  And all four were much loved by their men and had visionary foresight in where they wanted to take themselves and their people.

Napoleon and Hannibal get honorable mentions.  They also displayed all three attributes.  But they ultimately did not win.

Lastly, I’ll note that Genghis, Min, Alex, Caesar, and Napoleon had both military and political control.  That’s not true of most of the other names I’ve mentioned.  That may be a necessary condition to make the accomplishments required to be considered a GOAT military commander, at least as I’ve defined it.

Most Land conquered? Alexander the great and Hannibal.

Apologies for being nitpicky, but that title goes to Genghis.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2020, 10:16:28 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2020, 12:11:36 »
I'll chime in on the "hundred hour war" and point out that it's more like a thousand - the Gulf War started January 17, when the air power began hammering Saddam's forces.  And yes, ground units were in combat before the assault began at the end of February; the Iraqis outright invaded Saudi Arabia and ran into Saudi troops at Khafji.  They didn't get much farther, see prior air power, but the point is that the whole war lasted a lot longer than the four days it's given credit for.  Schwarzkopf was in command the whole time, so he deserves the credit for all of it.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #20 on: 28 May 2020, 16:15:37 »
Genghis wins on all counts.  If you believe all the reports, he killed more people than were alive on the planet at the time (THAT is some serious PSYOP).  And he certainly subjugated more land area than anyone else.  Min confined himself to Vietnam, so I'd put him below Alexander and Caesar in Natasha's list.  Napoleon and Hannibal both lost, so they're off the list in my mind.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 28 May 2020, 18:20:29 »
He's also fathered a verifiable percentage of the entire ancestral population of mankind.  A small percentage, to be fair, but credit where credit's due to someone who literally rocked the planet.

Oh and yeah military leader, wins all the things, brilliant strategist, that all counts too.  Just a shame he couldn't get his kids to hold it together.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #22 on: 28 May 2020, 18:25:22 »
There's certainly something to being "the exception to every rule"...  ^-^

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #23 on: 28 May 2020, 20:30:03 »
Since I do not believe anyone has mentioned great naval commanders of all time, and partially in honor of today, I’d suggest Admiral Tōgō Heihachirō (noted for leadership of the Japanese fleet’s victory over the Russian fleet at the Battle of Tsushima), as well as Admiral Horatio Nelson (especially for his most famous victory over the French and Spanish fleets as the leader of the British fleet at the Battle of Trafalgar).

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

R.Tempest

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2020, 23:48:20 »
 Personal choice is Irwin Rommel (but only because we share a birth date).
 For 1st World War generals I'd suggest Arthur Curry. He was able to lead the Canadian Corps out of the stalemate of the trenches. Admittedly the technique of the rolling barrage wasn't original, but he was able to perfect it. And that allowed the Canadians to start moving and taking enemy trenches.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 29 May 2020, 01:41:54 »
There's no such thing as a 'Best WW1 General' Once it got to the trenches, every general on either side was nothing more than a butcher who sent soldiers out to die like lambs to the slaughter.

As much as I dislike him on principle [He is Australian afterall]

For WWI I would say General Monash of the Aussies. Damned good general.

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #26 on: 29 May 2020, 13:34:12 »
George Rommel, the Desert Mason!  :D

If you get the reference, Rejoice Dear Hearts!   :thumbsup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #27 on: 29 May 2020, 14:20:45 »
If you believe all the reports, he killed more people than were alive on the planet at the time (THAT is some serious PSYOP). 

Was he at the Battle of Winterfell?

I'll throw in Fredrick the Great, took a little upstart Kingdom to one of the major powers of Europe and displaced Austria from the head of the German states. He used politics, strategy and tactics to accomplish all of this and frequently faced far greater numbers of opponents that he had men.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #28 on: 29 May 2020, 16:02:41 »
Heh, if he knew about it, he would certainly have claimed to have been...  ^-^

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #29 on: 29 May 2020, 17:49:04 »
Let me throw out a name no one has mentioned yet: Flavius Belisarius, of the  Byzantine Empire. Under Justinian I, he reclaimed a large chunk of the Roman Empire, ofter with varying level of troops, and considered one of the best military commanders in history.

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/