Author Topic: Changing hex scale to 15 meters  (Read 2597 times)

salcor

• Corporal
Changing hex scale to 15 meters
« on: 06 March 2012, 11:02:09 »
Has anyone played around with the idea of using 15the meters for the hex scale instead of 30?  It is essentially the same as using the miniatures scale.  You would have to use the miniatures movement and weapons ranges.  And of course you would need twice as many maps.  But it would also allow use of the mech scale buildings on the map.

Salcor

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
Re: Changing hex scale to 15 meters
« Reply #1 on: 06 March 2012, 13:09:13 »

<shrug>

All you end up doing is making your playarea smaller.  Example:  I have a hexed (1.5" hexes) mat that fits nicely on a 4' x 6' table.  This hex mat is about 32 hexes across and 48 hexes wide.  So at the standard hex size, you've actually got some room to maneuver once you hit the table before you get into weapons range.  If you reduced it to "miniatures" ranges, as soon as you step on the board, you're already basically in LRM medium range across the table.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Cannon_Fodder

• Warrant Officer
  • Dream of freedom from the 2d6 bell curve.
« Reply #2 on: 07 March 2012, 01:18:16 »
I play on a 6' x 6' table of geo hex. 60x50 hexes. We love the room and there is no way we would cut that in half. With room to move and exploit terrain fast lights and mediums get a huge advantage. Even with Clan ER PPC or ER Larges it's difficult to just part somewhere and dominate the whole map.

Avatar by ShadowRaven  Sig banner by HikageMaru

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2012, 07:40:18 »
if anything I see a lot of people ignore the change of hex size in mini rules and stick to 1x30m hex = 1 inch.    It lets you play a much larger game on the same tabletop.

A standary 4 x 6' table can fit a4x2 map spread.  A 6 x 6 can fit a 4x3 map spread.
At 15m per hex you end up having a Lance on Lance fight on a 6 x 4 Table.  15m means 4 Maps are now 1 MAP in game space.
At 30m per hex you have an appropriate map for Reinforced Company vs Reinforced Company and maybe a bit larger.

SandMan

• Master Sergeant
  • For Davion!
« Reply #4 on: 16 March 2012, 13:08:35 »
A quick comment: while that would more closely match the miniature rules horizontal scale, to actually to make the Maps have the same horizontal scale as a 'Mech miniature (1" = 6m), you need the hexes to be closer to 7m across for a 1.18" standard hex map.  An alternative is to go with smaller BattleMechs.  I'm not the only one who's done this, but here's one that I made:

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,445.msg149923.html#msg149923

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2012, 18:28:18 »
Actually, I've done different. I went with the 7.5 meters per hex that was established in the RPG and Solaris 7 boxed set. Why? Because it is true to scale for the actual miniatures.

But, the reason is because I plan on a cross-over between MW:DA rules and standard BT rules.

However, I've contemplated ways of shortening the turn length so that MP expenditure remains the same, and devised a simple tracking system to allow for uneven firing of weapons between units.

However, I've found that the best place for this kind of play is on a field cluttered with all kinds of hindering objects, such as in cities, or in forests. For one, it limits range, irregardless of bracket. For the forest, large trees actually matter, and can take up physical space.

So, yeah, sorta.

In fact, I plan on going that route eventually. My group has tended toward smaller game engagements because that means we can hope to get one or more games done in a single afternoon. With fewer overnight spillage, we don't have to track position or leave minis on the table as often. So, larger scale for accuracy's sake is kinda cool, in my eyes.

It also opens up possibilities for infantry oriented combat where a single trooper matters more, once we decide on a system. AToW isn't looking that hot for what I had in mind, but I may use the damage stats.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics