Author Topic: A Call to War!  (Read 128773 times)

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
A Call to War!
« on: 29 August 2015, 11:35:31 »
Welcome to A Call to War, a CGL staff and volunteer Alpha Strike force-building odyssey!  Over the next four months, several volunteer CGL representatives will be painting a new force for Alpha Strike.  They will be using the new Force Building Mechanics from the Alpha Strike Companion, but other than that, they have been left up to their own devices as to what force they create and what faction the chose to represent!

You will find below links to their threads as they work through this journey.  They will be discussing how they built the force, aspects of the force building process, it’s benefits and limitations, information on their chosen faction, painting tips for their force, and of course updates as they paint their way through.

We invite you to join along and create you own Alpha Strike force!  Here are the guidelines that our fearless leaders have used:

• Create a force between 360-400 points
  • Use the Force Building Rules from Alpha Strike Companion
  • Paint roughly 100 points a month
  • Post your progress

We hope that you will participate with us, and in January, we will all have some amazing forces to pit against our friends and enemies.  If you have any questions, feel free to ask here. 

Keep your PPC’s hot; I can’t wait to see what the community cooks up!

CGL Volunteers
Savage Coyote -Clan Sea Fox Tiburon Khanate
cavingjan - Clan Coyote Epsilon Galaxy
Scotty - Free Worlds League 1st Covenant Guards
wantec - Clan Wolf Blue Keshik
worktroll - Capellan Confederation 4th Tau Ceti Rangers
Weirdo - Star League Defense Force 146th Dragoon Regiment
nckestel - Mercenary 21st Centauri Lancers
God and Davion - Society/Dark Caste El Jaguar
psycho - Capellan Confederation 3rd Sian Dragoons
NeonKnight Mercenary Force Neon's Knights
« Last Edit: 10 September 2015, 13:34:16 by Savage Coyote »

Sagan

• Sergeant
Re: A Call to War!
« Reply #1 on: 29 August 2015, 20:12:33 »
Sounds fun

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2015, 21:24:48 »
I'm in.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2015, 08:58:37 »
Two questions for you:
1) Do we modify PV for skills? 
2) What's an Arctic Wolf B?  :)

I'm working on another project that relates closely to this.  No promises yet, but I'm thinking about it.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #5 on: 30 August 2015, 09:51:11 »
Arctic Wolf II B is from TRO 3085 Supplemental.  Clan Wolf-in-Exile's second attempt at an Arctic Wolf Omni!  Oh, nm.  You were noting the lack of "II".  Fixed now!

As for the modified PV, no, I was following the general format of the original sample companies that left all units at skill 4.  If you would like to instead create a modified PV-for-skill force, that would be fine!
« Last Edit: 30 August 2015, 09:53:36 by Savage Coyote »

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 30 August 2015, 09:53:27 »
Arctic Wolf II B is from TRO 3085 Supplemental.  Clan Wolf-in-Exile's second attempt at an Arctic Wolf Omni!
I should have specified... you have it listed as the Arctic Wolf B.  I was unsure as the Arctic Wolf has the same PV.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #7 on: 30 August 2015, 22:42:25 »
I'm very tempted...  can I use my unit Litany Against Fear if I construct them using the official rules?

I already painted them but if the Lances need to be full (some are 3 units because of reasons...) I can add to them.

Nevermind, realized that the fun is reserved for the battlemasters...
« Last Edit: 30 August 2015, 22:49:10 by Fear Factory »
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Bongfu

• Warrant Officer
  • Commander of the Crater Cats
    • North Texas Battletech
« Reply #8 on: 31 August 2015, 01:38:38 »
Com Guards reporting in for painting detail.
North Texas Battletech

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 31 August 2015, 05:23:51 »
I'm very tempted...  can I use my unit Litany Against Fear if I construct them using the official rules?

I already painted them but if the Lances need to be full (some are 3 units because of reasons...) I can add to them.

Nevermind, realized that the fun is reserved for the battlemasters...

"We invite you to join along and create you own Alpha Strike force!  Here are the guidelines that our fearless leaders have used:"

Please join in!  I've enjoyed reading about your forces previously :).
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #10 on: 31 August 2015, 07:41:20 »
"We invite you to join along and create you own Alpha Strike force!  Here are the guidelines that our fearless leaders have used:"

Please join in!  I've enjoyed reading about your forces previously :).

Cool!  Thanks!   O0
The conflict is pure - The truth devised - The future secured - The enemy designed
Maj. Isaac "Litany" Van Houten, Lone Wolves, The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear" Company

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #11 on: 31 August 2015, 09:48:01 »
Yup, please do participate!!  The more the merrier!  It will show off a huge range of forces and schemes.  Should be very cool!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #12 on: 31 August 2015, 13:27:34 »
If one were to do this, do I have to limit myself to 100 points per month? Or, if I felt ambitious, could I finish it all in a month?
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #13 on: 31 August 2015, 13:34:40 »
Do what you want. Some folks have used forces they already painted, but reorganized them to the AS Companion rules and talked about why they chose what they did.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #14 on: 31 August 2015, 13:37:01 »
Do what you want. Some folks have used forces they already painted, but reorganized them to the AS Companion rules and talked about why they chose what they did.

Yep.  JUST did this.

I am also considering a Clan Ghost Bear unit.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #15 on: 31 August 2015, 14:58:28 »
The staff ones are trying to make sure we are painting as we go. One thing we are hoping to show is that anybody can complete an army in a four month people with their busy schedules. There are several of us with young kids that we are working around. Others have busy work or school schedules. Just one of the many things we wish to show besides the force building rules in ASC.

I'm hoping to have a weekly update. I'm sure I'll have several that are no progress due to MUL work, product development, work interferences, or the kids are sick/teething.)

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #16 on: 31 August 2015, 20:53:08 »
Welp, this will kill two birds with one stone, I think. I need to have a scenario ready for next February's FlintCon. So I'm in with at least one force with this. I might get both going. We'll see.

sapperleader

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 31 August 2015, 20:58:52 »
I am in. 

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2015, 05:56:24 »
I'd like to participate if there is room for a mediocre painter like me.  This is great motivation for to  finish up some projects that I've been slow to work on. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2015, 16:51:53 »
Processing...

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
  • Acta deos numquam mortalia fallunt.
    • Krigshammer - Miniatures web log.
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2015, 19:47:42 »
So when you're saying to follow the companion rules for force building, do you just mean choosing a lance type and adding the appropriate number of units depending on what force I'm doing? Because I have some Steiners, Kuritans and Comstar/Blakists I should be doing at some point in the foreseeable future. Level IIs were mentioned in the AS companion, but I think only Lances and Stars would benefit from the special rules? It wasn't quite clear to me, but since Level IIs were not mentioned for the lance types I would assume not.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 01 September 2015, 20:02:20 »
Level IIs are valid for receiving "Lance" bonuses in the Companion.

Really, what you call it means absolutely nothing, as long as it fits the criteria.  You could call your units "Pointy Horse Poles" and "Self-Sustaining Astronomical Fusion Reactions" and as long as they have the right roles, damage, size, or other criteria, they still get the bonuses.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 01 September 2015, 20:11:46 »
So when you're saying to follow the companion rules for force building, do you just mean choosing a lance type and adding the appropriate number of units depending on what force I'm doing? Because I have some Steiners, Kuritans and Comstar/Blakists I should be doing at some point in the foreseeable future. Level IIs were mentioned in the AS companion, but I think only Lances and Stars would benefit from the special rules? It wasn't quite clear to me, but since Level IIs were not mentioned for the lance types I would assume not.
To make the reading a little easier, Alpha Strike Companion only refers to Lances in the descriptions of the Ground Formations. You can use a Star (5 units) or a Level II/Reinforced Lance (6 units), you just have to be careful about the requirements. Some of the requirements say "2 units" and some say "50%". For a Lance those are the same, but for a Star or Level II 50% means 3 units. Likewise, some say "3 units" and some say "75%". In a Lance those are the same, but in a Star it means 4 units and in a Level II it means 5 units.

The "Formation Requirements" section on pg 149 describes this a little better I think.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 01 September 2015, 20:27:22 »
Alright, I just can't quite recall the exact wording. I was under the impression that I 'had' to use 4 units per lance OR 5 per nova. I'll have a closer look at it once I get the time.

Anyway, the force should conform to the limitations of the described lance types, correct? How many units and what kind is irrelevant? It seemed to me like the army building in AS was fairly loose, so I was confused when the thread said to follow the "Force Building Rules", but I don't seem to recall there being any requirements set in stone like for example Warmachine (caster and jacks) or Warhammer (commander and troops).

If I can literally do whatever I bloody feel like I should probably look into doing up some of these space-Japanese... The Akuma and Sunder are calling to me.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #24 on: 01 September 2015, 20:37:29 »
Just go with it, man.  I'm not very familiar with the rules and I already made some boo-boos.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #25 on: 01 September 2015, 21:13:50 »
We are trying to showcase the lance/star abilities that you get when building specific formations. There are a lot of other things we are showing too but for your question, we are specifically showing how things get synergy and gain abilities.

Otherwise these would just be plain painting blogs.

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 01 September 2015, 21:35:59 »
Right, makes sense. Faction-themed Alpha Strike armies with focus on the Lance bonuses and possible synergies, to showcase the system. That's what I was wondering, because "plain painting blogs" sounded kind of pointless.

I already primed up some plastics for a Kuritan force, and I have multiple metals being polished. I had Alpha Strike in mind, but not necessarily the formations from the AS Companion, though they can probably be adapted to work.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #27 on: 02 September 2015, 07:48:51 »
Just go with it, man.  I'm not very familiar with the rules and I already made some boo-boos.

And we're here to help and can help get everything arranged! Well, us and the MUL!

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #28 on: 02 September 2015, 09:25:37 »
It's awesome how many people are getting into this. Maybe this should be a regular thing.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #29 on: 02 September 2015, 09:38:27 »
It's awesome how many people are getting into this. Maybe this should be a regular thing.

Agreed.  It's cool seeing how the rules work too.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #30 on: 02 September 2015, 10:54:06 »

It would definitely help with my motivation to finish all of the painting projects I have planned out. 

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #31 on: 02 September 2015, 12:58:02 »
And we're here to help and can help get everything arranged! Well, us and the MUL!

Once I figured out the  "ideal role" loophole thing I was good to go.  I was a little confused.

abou

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 02 September 2015, 15:05:34 »
So are we allowed to do an independent/personal unit?

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #33 on: 02 September 2015, 17:44:45 »
So are we allowed to do an independent/personal unit?

No rules against....and I'm doing a personal unit/company.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #34 on: 02 September 2015, 18:28:15 »
Mine is an original mercenary unit.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: 02 September 2015, 18:53:54 »
Response rate from the general community is looking pretty good.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #36 on: 03 September 2015, 12:21:30 »
Mine is an original mercenary unit.

I'm tempted to paint some Hansen's Roughriders.  I have a lot of plastics...

c_gee

• Number of the Be(a)st!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #37 on: 03 September 2015, 15:00:31 »
I've got a scenario planned in November that will require the 1st Amori Militia. So I might as well jump into this Call to War and post as I paint.  I'll also be painting up my 22nd Freebirth Cluster units that will be opposing the Amori Militia, so I can do them at the same time!... Though, there will be a handful of unseen minis scattered in there... hope that's okay.
Demo Agent #666
Vancouver, Canada

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #38 on: 03 September 2015, 18:04:05 »
I've got a scenario planned in November that will require the 1st Amori Militia. So I might as well jump into this Call to War and post as I paint.  I'll also be painting up my 22nd Freebirth Cluster units that will be opposing the Amori Militia, so I can do them at the same time!... Though, there will be a handful of unseen minis scattered in there... hope that's okay.

As long as you know we cannot use them...I believe. :(

I believe it is:

Home games - Yes

Demo Games - No

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #39 on: 03 September 2015, 18:06:17 »
The only problem I have is that I can't decide on what I want!   :D

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #40 on: 03 September 2015, 19:15:08 »
The only problem I have is that I can't decide on what I want!   :D

Roll a D6  ;)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #41 on: 03 September 2015, 19:20:34 »
Roll a D6  ;)

With the way I roll?  HELL NO.   :D

c_gee

• Number of the Be(a)st!
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 03 September 2015, 21:10:33 »
As long as you know we cannot use them...I believe. :(

I believe it is:

Home games - Yes

Demo Games - No

The Scenario I plan to use them for is a private game and not a Demo game.

However, what I'm really concerned with is not whether I can use my minis during a home game, but rather, will pics of me painting them up be an issue here on the forums. I've had this force planned for a while and it makes use of minis I had lying around that need to be painted. I'm not planning on buying new minis.
Demo Agent #666
Vancouver, Canada

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #43 on: 03 September 2015, 22:39:13 »
The Scenario I plan to use them for is a private game and not a Demo game.

However, what I'm really concerned with is not whether I can use my minis during a home game, but rather, will pics of me painting them up be an issue here on the forums. I've had this force planned for a while and it makes use of minis I had lying around that need to be painted. I'm not planning on buying new minis.

That....is a good question.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #44 on: 03 September 2015, 22:50:25 »
You're certainly allowed to post pictures of your Unseen minis around here, and no mod will give you crap for them. (Okay, some may try to buy them off of you in PMs, but that's the extent of it.)

A Call to War is another matter, though. I'd check with Savage Coyote, he's one of the main driving forces behind it. I do know us beemer-types were discouraged from using Unseens for this, but it might be okay for regular fans.
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #45 on: 03 September 2015, 22:59:45 »
Although I'm not a Beemer-type, I decided not to use my Unseens (though so many need paint...) because this is an official production. We're all having fun and being casual, but we need to keep in mind that this is in support of Catalyst and IWM.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #46 on: 03 September 2015, 23:17:23 »

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #47 on: 03 September 2015, 23:18:53 »
Can we not and say we did? ::)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #48 on: 04 September 2015, 00:55:14 »
I DEMAND to see Captain Zippy's UrbanMech Calvary.

I am afraid that it would not be a legal force for purposes of this venture. It's far too few points in Alpha Strike, by about 82 points.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #49 on: 04 September 2015, 07:33:31 »
I am afraid that it would not be a legal force for purposes of this venture. It's far too few points in Alpha Strike, by about 82 points.

Not if you make them skill 1 and 2.   >:D

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #50 on: 04 September 2015, 17:49:36 »
To make the reading a little easier, Alpha Strike Companion only refers to Lances in the descriptions of the Ground Formations. You can use a Star (5 units) or a Level II/Reinforced Lance (6 units), you just have to be careful about the requirements. Some of the requirements say "2 units" and some say "50%". For a Lance those are the same, but for a Star or Level II 50% means 3 units. Likewise, some say "3 units" and some say "75%". In a Lance those are the same, but in a Star it means 4 units and in a Level II it means 5 units.

The "Formation Requirements" section on pg 149 describes this a little better I think.
What about this Striker/Calvary Sept? Does it count this as two Striker Lances?

(I have already painted them)
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #51 on: 04 September 2015, 22:15:10 »
Septs are a bit of an oddball. I don't think it's officially been decided whether the Sept or Trey is the equivalent of a Lance in terms of the Ground Formation rules. My personal preference would be to make the Trey the equivalent, with the Sept's command Un being left out. I would also count each Un as a single "unit" for the lance requirements.

If those were the rules, a Trey of the Sprites, Boggarts, and Centaurs would qualify as a standard Striker/Cavalry Trey or a standard Recon Trey (but not the Light version of either of those).

The "Command Un" of the Minotaurs could mechanize on the Omnis. A Trey of the Omnis could qualify as a standard Striker/Cavalry or Recon Trey as well as a Probe Trey.

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #52 on: 05 September 2015, 05:33:49 »
Color me intrigued.....so whats the end goal for this, just to drum up ideas for forces and post them on a website somewhere for new players to check out or is this basixally just an official event that the general public was invited to tag along for fun.  Im interested but if im going to paint up a company specifically for this i want to know if it'll be in a position where a new player could take advantahe of the info, hopefully im making sense here and your gwtting what im saying lol
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #53 on: 05 September 2015, 06:23:28 »
Swap out one lance for a lance of Imps (or Annihilators) and that could solve the problem.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 05 September 2015, 09:13:45 »
Color me intrigued.....so whats the end goal for this, just to drum up ideas for forces and post them on a website somewhere for new players to check out or is this basixally just an official event that the general public was invited to tag along for fun.  Im interested but if im going to paint up a company specifically for this i want to know if it'll be in a position where a new player could take advantahe of the info, hopefully im making sense here and your gwtting what im saying lol

this should help...
The staff ones are trying to make sure we are painting as we go. One thing we are hoping to show is that anybody can complete an army in a four month people with their busy schedules. There are several of us with young kids that we are working around. Others have busy work or school schedules. Just one of the many things we wish to show besides the force building rules in ASC.

I'm hoping to have a weekly update. I'm sure I'll have several that are no progress due to MUL work, product development, work interferences, or the kids are sick/teething.)

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #55 on: 05 September 2015, 09:32:29 »
If that's the case, there should be a list with all of the participants.  One list of battlemasters and one list of everyone else so we know what's "official" and what isnt.  IMO, the bigger the list the better.

IIRC, it took me about a months time to paint up Litany.  I started with a lance, the addiction kicked in, and I kept adding more and more.  I was on a painting spree for a few months and I made Litany (well over a company of units), a Ghost Bear Trinary, Steel Viper Star, and Wolf Star.  AND yes, I do have a busy life.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 05 September 2015, 10:38:54 »
If that's the case, there should be a list with all of the participants.  One list of battlemasters and one list of everyone else so we know what's "official" and what isnt.  IMO, the bigger the list the better.
I think it's just fine that they have posted only links to the "BattleMasters" who are involved.  Keeping track of every other person who wishes to join in would be a lot of work for folks who are kind enough to volunteer their time such as they are.  They also stated in the initial invite that people should work within a given PV range (not over or under by just a little) and inferred that they should show new work (paint 100 points per month over the next 4 months).  Both of those guidelines are being ignored to make things easier.  No need to complicate it on their end.

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 06 September 2015, 15:06:42 »
I could strip down my Jenners and Panthers and repaint them if that would make you happy.

It would make me miserable, though, because stripping the intro plastics is annoying and I'd have to redo the bases and stuff as well.

Fear Factory

• Major
  • Designing the Enemy
« Reply #58 on: 07 September 2015, 16:20:03 »
I think it's just fine that they have posted only links to the "BattleMasters" who are involved.  Keeping track of every other person who wishes to join in would be a lot of work for folks who are kind enough to volunteer their time such as they are.  They also stated in the initial invite that people should work within a given PV range (not over or under by just a little) and inferred that they should show new work (paint 100 points per month over the next 4 months).  Both of those guidelines are being ignored to make things easier.  No need to complicate it on their end.

I posted my old unit in good faith......

Totally made a new one.  Took me 24 hours (with help from my brother in law).  1 Company, each painted 6 'Mechs.

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
« Reply #59 on: 09 September 2015, 11:37:22 »
I'm in! Now to post the list.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #60 on: 28 September 2015, 13:04:33 »
Hrm. Debating expanding my SLDF custom set. I've got a bunch of stuff painted up for it already, although I couldn't use all of it neccessarily....

What it's got:

4x Highlander
2x Thug
2x Lancelot
1x Longbow
1x Black Knight

Plus:
1x Maelstrom
1x Grim Reaper

I'd want to keep to 2750-compatible, so I'd have to add a few classic lighter units.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #61 on: 03 October 2015, 10:28:56 »
A couple of things:
- Whee! So far, pretty good turn out.
- Seems like the top three at a glance are Clans (I lump all of them in together. Meh.), Homebrew Mercs, and Capellans.

Edit: Here's the list Battlemasters in the first list, the rest of us in the second -

CGL Volunteers
Worktroll 4th Tau Ceti Rangers
wantec Clan Wolf Blue Keshik
Sagittaire Clan Hell's Horses Iota Galaxy
Psycho 3rd Sian Dragoons
cavingjan Clan Coyote Epsilon Galaxy
Scotty FWL 1st Covenant
Wraith 5th Sword of Light
Minnow 4th Deneb Light Cavalry
NeonKnight Neon's Knights
nckestrel 21st Centauri Lancers
c_gee 1st Amori Militia
HeavyGun 15th Lyran Guard RCT: The Death or Glory Boys
God and Davion El Jaguar
Weirdo 146th Dragoon Regiment
Savage Coyote Clan Sea Fox Tiburon Khanate

Forumites
ActionButler Clan Steel Viper Rho Galaxy
Azkael 4th McCarron's Armored Cavalry
Bongfu Banshee's Wail 321st Divison
sapperleader Clan Hell's Horses Omega Galaxy
Fear Factory Cowboys From Hell
Lysenko 15th Dracon Regiment
The Eagle 10th Marik Militia
abou 1st Avalon Irregulars: The Basiliskoi
ColBosch Former 2nd FedCom Mercenaries
Azakael 5th Syrtis Fusiliers
Stinger Republican Standing Guard
panzerfaust150 1st Robinson Rangers
Knallogfall DCMS Mooks and Cronies
Fletch Silver Hawk Irregulars
Fear Factory The Former 66th "Litany Against Fear"

If anyone dropped from this, let me know and I'll remove you from this list, if you'd like.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2015, 13:59:22 by Azakael »

Levi

• Recruit
« Reply #62 on: 06 October 2015, 11:50:51 »
Are we sticking to a set time period for availability ect or just the standard Clan Invasion Timeline Savage?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 06 October 2015, 12:22:23 »
Are we sticking to a set time period for availability ect or just the standard Clan Invasion Timeline Savage?

No time period is set.  Savage Coyote's own project, and Pyscho's, are Dark Age.  Mine is Succession Wars.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #64 on: 06 October 2015, 12:24:28 »
Hrm. That's an idea. I could mark what era the lists are for too. ::hrm::
And it looks like I might need to update the list.

phoenixhawk

• Private
« Reply #65 on: 06 October 2015, 12:26:56 »
Don't see the Falcons represented...what would be a good force to paint up for them?

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #66 on: 06 October 2015, 12:31:50 »
No time period is set.  Savage Coyote's own project, and Pyscho's, are Dark Age.  Mine is Succession Wars.

Mine is the cusp between the FedCom Civil War and the Jihad, or as I like to call it, "the four boring months."

Levi

• Recruit
« Reply #67 on: 06 October 2015, 12:47:22 »
Then sign me up for 400pts of Kell Hounds, with the possibility of 400 more in 3rd Capellan Reserves if I can manage it.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #68 on: 06 October 2015, 12:55:13 »

...jeez, if there was a sign up, you think they'd let me participate? ;)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #69 on: 07 October 2015, 03:00:43 »
Probably not  :P

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #70 on: 07 October 2015, 06:04:20 »
Mine ended up being in the Golden Century b/c I had two 'Mechs I wanted to use that were only in use then. That said, I've been contemplating grabbing a few more 'Mechs once I'm done so that I can trade out and have a more modern version as well.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #71 on: 07 October 2015, 11:01:03 »
I personally went Succession War because I am running an Alpha Strike game at a local con set during the 4th War.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #72 on: 07 October 2015, 11:29:00 »
Mine's still oldest. :)

(And should actually see an update soon, honest! O:-))
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #73 on: 07 October 2015, 12:00:40 »
Yup, any time period is perfectly fine!  The more the merry!  Gives a good feel for the universe!

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #74 on: 07 October 2015, 12:06:48 »
Mine's still oldest. :)

(And should actually see an update soon, honest! O:-))
In that case, you should buy some of the fake spider-web stuff and give each of your 'Mechs a long white beard and maybe a cane or a walker too.  ;D

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 07 October 2015, 17:03:34 »
I'm also in the Dark Age, with a soonest-possible-time being 3115 just for units involved.  I'd probably put it right around 3145 proper.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

phoenixhawk

• Private
« Reply #76 on: 07 October 2015, 17:49:39 »
How do I figure out the costs for the minis. If I'm putting together a Clan Jade Falcon star, what would I look at to make the list? Thanks!!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 07 October 2015, 17:59:36 »
www.masterunitlist.info
The Point Value (PV) is listed on the Alpha Strike unit card.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #78 on: 07 October 2015, 18:52:48 »
Instead of sticking to a single era, I'm going to paint up a few spare mechs and elementals to swap in so the unit can fit in anywhere it needs to.

Partly because the plan makes me feel clever, but mostly because I didn't know what to do with the extra Crossbow mini.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #79 on: 07 October 2015, 19:04:20 »
Instead of sticking to a single era, I'm going to paint up a few spare mechs and elementals to swap in so the unit can fit in anywhere it needs to.

Partly because the plan makes me feel clever, but mostly because I didn't know what to do with the extra Crossbow mini.

Sinker for a fishing line?

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #80 on: 07 October 2015, 19:25:01 »
Sinker for a fishing line?

I have a Night Gyr that.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #81 on: 08 October 2015, 06:45:00 »

Send it to me  ;) I'll give it a loving home, make it feel useful.

Knallogfall

• Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 19 October 2015, 02:21:27 »
After some extensive marketing research (ie my most likely candidates for recruitment bemoaning how utterly ugly the 3025 plastics are) I've decided to redo the entire line-up with more recent models, ranging from Invasion-era up to and including the Dark Ages. I am, however, freed from the shackles of other commitments, so I should have time to start proper work soon. Waiting for a couple models in the mail and I'll be ready to get started.

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 08 November 2015, 09:50:23 »
Does this Call to war paint project absolutely require that I own the AlphaStrike Companion?

I have plenty of minis sitting around. I actually started on two different forces after I read this thread, but did not remember the AS:C bonus requirements. Both forces are at lance strength, though only one of them is very far along.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #84 on: 23 November 2015, 17:52:13 »
With the release of the CM: Mercs Beta I am getting in on this. Going with a late 3rd SW 21st Centauri Lancers because I like the fluff, they hate Liao, work for the FWL and the fact they have access to multiple Grasshoppers and Bmasters. :D My rough build so far is;

Lancers Command Company (Rated Elite/Heavy)

Command Lance-
Battlemaster BLR-1Gb 44 points
Centurion CN9-A 28 points
2 Stalker STK-3Fb 102 points

Skirmisher Lance-
4 Grasshopper GHR-5N 156 points

Fire Support Lance-
2 Catapult CPLT-C1 66 points
2 Archer ARC-R 78 points

Total: 472 points which leaves 28 points for upgrades.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #85 on: 21 January 2016, 13:03:24 »
I'm In
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

Force of Nature

• Lieutenant
  • Battletech and Paintball. Life is good.
« Reply #86 on: 23 January 2016, 00:07:18 »
With the release of the CM: Mercs Beta I am getting in on this. Going with a late 3rd SW 21st Centauri Lancers because I like the fluff, they hate Liao, work for the FWL and the fact they have access to multiple Grasshoppers and Bmasters. :D My rough build so far is;

Lancers Command Company (Rated Elite/Heavy)

Command Lance-
Battlemaster BLR-1Gb 44 points
Centurion CN9-A 28 points
2 Stalker STK-3Fb 102 points

Skirmisher Lance-
4 Grasshopper GHR-5N 156 points

Fire Support Lance-
2 Catapult CPLT-C1 66 points
2 Archer ARC-R 78 points

Total: 472 points which leaves 28 points for upgrades.

-Gunz

From the first post...

•Create a force between 360-400 points

Unless I missed something, you are over by 72 points Gunz.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #87 on: 04 February 2016, 17:07:39 »
He isn't the only one ;)

Sometimes artistic integrity is more important ...  ;D
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #88 on: 03 April 2017, 02:09:24 »
Is this still ongoing or something that is going to get restarted?  I am interested and will be creating a small Society force and this would be perfect to compliment/drive me!

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 03 April 2017, 11:09:45 »

Here is an example, and please create & post your own force, we would love to see it.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=49114.msg1133887#msg1133887
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #90 on: 03 April 2017, 16:51:04 »
Cool! Thank you for the example!

So now I have an issue, two, or three.  Deciding whether to go with all new Society mechs in a Sept.  or should I mix them with other mechs?  Then, which faction?  I am leaning towards complimenting my Clan Burrock forces or starting from scratch with a Coyote group. 

Sitting here typing it out, I feel like I should go with my alreadybestablished Clan Burrock force and just create a pure Society Mech Sept.  I can always mix and match from the Burrock force I have. 

Un:
*Septicemia-D-Z @50pts Skirmisher/Skill3

Trey Alpha:
*Septicemia-E @60pts Skirmisher/Skill3
*Septicemia-A-Z @58pts Brawler/Skill4
*Septicemia-Prime@37pts Sniper/Skill4

Trey Beta:
*Osteon-Prime @75pts Juggernaut/Skill4
*Cephalus-D @34pts Striker/Skill3
*Sprite Ultraheavy Protomech x3 @60pts Missile Boat/Skill4

Total: 374pts

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #91 on: 03 April 2017, 19:25:15 »
Looks cool on paper - looking forward to see your minis!

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 04 April 2017, 11:20:59 »
Cool! Thank you for the example!

So now I have an issue, two, or three.  Deciding whether to go with all new Society mechs in a Sept.  or should I mix them with other mechs?  Then, which faction?  I am leaning towards complimenting my Clan Burrock forces or starting from scratch with a Coyote group.
My suggestion is to build Treys around a role (Striker, Command, etc). And to arrange the force so that it can be played as either a large Society force and as separate Society+Burrock forces.

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #93 on: 04 April 2017, 11:35:43 »
Isn't the Un usually the Commander?  Or is that just me being a bit presumptuous?  I mean if need be I could push some things around, maybe like so:

Command Trey:

Striker Trey:

Support Un:

Total: 374pts

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #94 on: 04 April 2017, 11:57:48 »

The Un can be the commander, but it can also be a spotter, decoy or trap.....  >:D

Thinking about multiple possible arrangements really helps with realizing of all your options.
This knowledge can later be used to react flexible to changes in the battlefield.

Armond

• Sergeant
« Reply #95 on: 04 April 2017, 22:34:57 »
Yah I played around with the composition of forces using the information for Alpha Strike and realized there are numerous possible combos available! 

I think the formation i last posted works pretty well.  But I did a quick swap, and am probably going with the below:

Command Trey:

Striker Trey:

Support Un:

Total: 374 pts

So why the change?  Well the D-Z variant of the Septicemia is noted as a Command version, so I figured he needed to be moved.  This still gives me the composition requirements for the Command unit. 

Moving the "Sniper" down to the Striker Trey seems a bit odd, but he still moves as fast as the other Septicemia and so meets the minimum 10" movement of the formation requirement.  Plus 50% of the unit meets the Skirmisher/Striker characteristic needs.

Then the Protos are the odd men out so being Missile boats, it only made sense to give them a support role.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #96 on: 05 April 2017, 17:23:44 »
Most of these last posts should probably be moved into your Call To War thread. That is the type of discussion meant for those articles.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #97 on: 06 April 2017, 20:12:54 »
Which reminds me that my Call to War was never completed...
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #98 on: 07 April 2017, 14:56:11 »
Which reminds me that my Call to War was never completed...

Shhh... Don't remind me. The 4th Mac has been woefully under equipped...

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #99 on: 07 April 2017, 17:48:38 »
Shhh... Don't remind me. The 4th Mac has been woefully under equipped...

Sounds to me like we've got some work to do.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Wotan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #100 on: 08 April 2017, 06:55:42 »
I know i did not participate in this project as i usually do not bother for BV when i'm planning my paint projects. But it is worth to stay firm on this project. I love to see all your units growing.
For my long time project of the 5th Crucis Lancers i'm currently planning a final of 325 miniatures of which 159 are already painted. And believe me it is worth the effort. So go on!

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #101 on: 27 May 2020, 18:13:58 »
So hey, I just stumbled across one of the old Call to War threads, and I can't help but wonder what happened to most of these projects.

Did anyone finish up their force? Does anyone have photos they'd like to share of their work?
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #102 on: 27 May 2020, 18:36:34 »
Quite a few. I did 3 myself; a search for "Call to War" should find them on this forum.

Yep, a few :)

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?action=search2

Alas, most of mine were hosted on Solaris VII in the day and have lost the images ... maybe an excuse to repost?  >:D

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #103 on: 27 May 2020, 20:15:15 »
Alas, most of mine were hosted on Solaris VII in the day and have lost the images ... maybe an excuse to repost?  >:D

Since when do you need an excuse?  ;)
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #104 on: 27 May 2020, 20:48:55 »
Better yet; when will the community do something like this again?? I'd love to do this kind of thing! We did this kind of thing in 40k years ago, our store hosted an event where we built and painted 500 points and then battled each other.  Then added another 500 pts. And continued to 2000 pts and had a huge multi player battle. It was good times.  :D
Maybe something like that here???  ^-^

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #105 on: 21 July 2020, 16:03:05 »
I never finished this up.  I have all the miniatures primed and based and... I ran out of steam :(

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #106 on: 21 July 2020, 17:59:09 »
Consider yourself re-steamed!  :thumbsup:

Register