Author Topic: Questions about Forum Rule Changes, February 2012  (Read 12820 times)

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
Re: Questions about Forum Rule Changes, February 2012
« Reply #30 on: 06 February 2012, 22:27:03 »
Yes, but if dick wasn't allowed, you couldn't use it as a short form of Richard.

If you have someone you know named *****, then I feel sorry for them...

(I'm really curious what word you typed.. the first one I tried ended up being allowed by the censortron...)

One that is part of hit location 3 in the head of a battlemech, and is another word for rooster. Also the term for
preparing a single action pistol or an old muzzle-loader ready to fire.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #31 on: 06 February 2012, 23:55:54 »
I've actually run into something like that too, don't remember the word off hand tho.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Iron Mongoose

• Lieutenant
  • Don't you know, you're all my very best friends
« Reply #32 on: 11 February 2012, 01:24:00 »
This seems relitively stright foward, but there's no reason not to be sure:

Using symbols in normal worlds to comunicate extra information or to abreviate is not considered censoring, correct?  For example, replacing the 's' in a word like "Microsoft" as a way to denote courperate greed, or replacing the "star" in "ComStar" with an asterisk.
"For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century..."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #33 on: 11 February 2012, 14:18:45 »
No, common non-obscene abbreviations will not cause issues - C*, M$, etc. However if one types 'M********', that would - you're not abbreviating there. and the word you were typing may be more offensive than 'Microsoft'

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

BlazingSky

• Lieutenant
  • Ah yes, the rabble and their "Medium Mechs"
« Reply #34 on: 11 February 2012, 16:48:35 »
No, common non-obscene abbreviations will not cause issues - C*, M$, etc. However if one types 'M********', that would - you're not abbreviating there. and the word you were typing may be more offensive than 'Microsoft'

W.

Meekrob?
I don't post to play nice with everyone. I post to posit my ideas. If this offends you, there's an ignore function.
I knew this day would come! The day of the stapler men has arrived!

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #35 on: 13 February 2012, 00:22:04 »
I went over the rules and one that worries me a little is a instant ban offense.

Posting using another person’s username with or without their permission.
This can result in both parties being banned.

See my brother and I are both members of the forums, and relatively often share computers. It's only happened once in the past to my knowledge where one has forgot to log out the other and made a post. I think I know the answer, but I have to for my own reasons make certain, if it happens again no one is going to come down on our heads, right? Not like they would if I was pretending to be him for whatever reason.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #36 on: 13 February 2012, 00:30:54 »
Two things on this:

1) Whenever we've hit this situation before, we've always sent PMs to the accounts involved to see what the situation is. When it's been two people in the same house - siblings, spouses, flatmates whatever - it's pretty easy to sort the situation out.

2) If we ever did hit this situation and for some reason one permaban was issued, there'd be a message sent to contact the Admins (myself and Chunga) via email (PM not being accessible any more). Our email addresses can be seen by anyone (logged in or not) in our profiles, but for the record are

worktroll (at) gmail.com
cbtadmin (at) wi.rr.com

If we did make a mistake, we'll certainly be prepared to a) apologise and b) re-instate the account.

The rule's there to prevent (say) me from using the PrecentorMartial login to pretend to be Randall.

Hope that makes sense, and clears things up.

Worktroll, Administrator
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 13 February 2012, 11:12:07 »
 That's what I figured the response would be, and the reasons. It's not like we could be believable  pretending to be each other anyway. I'm far wittier amongst other things  :D
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #38 on: 20 February 2012, 08:42:51 »
Sorry about being late to the conversation.

Is 'suck' still ok, or do I need to change my sig?

I also assume Bowderdized words are now Verboten?  No 'Gorram" "Frak" or "Frell" for that matter?

Just don't smite me for posting the above examples, please.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 20 February 2012, 09:17:38 »
*hmms* Let me see, Livewire..tell me if any get Censortronned:

Bloody Heck, Frag, Drek, Noy'jitat, Stravag, Surat, Freebirth, Painted Lady, Spanish Lady, Double Breasted Mattress Thatcher,
FUBAR, SNAFU...

Don't think any of those got hit, so, while I am not a mod, I think all of those are OK, as long as they do not get hit by the
Censortron, I would think they are ok...unlike the word for where a mechwarrior sits in the critical hit chart in the head because
it contains another word for a fighting rooster.

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #40 on: 20 February 2012, 12:35:10 »
Why do you think you can't say cockpit?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #41 on: 20 February 2012, 14:15:37 »

Only members of the Gallus genus can, the rest of us just see *******.  :P
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
« Reply #42 on: 20 February 2012, 16:09:25 »

IIRC, I think at one time they had the first four words in the censotron.  It caused problems later, so they partially took it out(or at least rigged it to where you can say "cockpit.")   At least that's what I heard.  Not trying to start anything, just saying.
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #43 on: 20 February 2012, 16:21:49 »
Bowdlerised words are acceptable. Swear bu Ghu, by the frakking brazen balls of Klono frellingly, etc.

Note: if "Double Breasted Mattress Thatcher" has anything to do with an erotic conjunction of the former British prime minister, that will be banned ;)

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #44 on: 20 February 2012, 17:57:41 »
Thank you, Gentlemen.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #45 on: 20 February 2012, 21:11:51 »

Because it actually got nailed by the censortron before?

Note: if "Double Breasted Mattress Thatcher" has anything to do with an erotic conjunction of the former British prime minister, that will be banned ;)

Actually...it was a Old West term for Ladies of Ill Repute.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 20 February 2012, 21:34:58 »
Bowdlerised words are acceptable. Swear bu Ghu, by the frakking brazen balls of Klono frellingly, etc.

By the Sons of Warvan I haven't heard such language from you!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #47 on: 20 February 2012, 22:14:13 »
Some people get far too excited over swearing:

“Klono’s brazen hoofs and diamond-tipped horns!” he ejaculated.
- Kimball Kinnison, "Grey Lensman", E E "Doc" Smith

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #48 on: 20 February 2012, 22:36:32 »
Some people get far too excited over swearing:
- Kimball Kinnison, "Grey Lensman", E E "Doc" Smith

Here's the thing. You know that its ok to write that or quote that but we don't. We're not sure if we will get a warning or in some of our cases a long banning.  It could be done in jest and some one gets offended, notifies the mods, and we get a warning or a ban. It wasn't meant to offend but it did.

So the offender appeals, but because the rules are the rules and we have a ridged interpretation he gets a warning. You get enough warnings over minutia and get a banning you're not likely to ever want to participate again and if you do you're so afraid you will get another warning that you say nothing that anyone will ever think of as controvercial.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 20 February 2012, 22:49:00 »
How does the EE Smith quote I posted break any rules?
- It's not race, religious or other hate speech
- It's not an obscenity at all
- It's not self-censored in an attempt to avoid the censertron

I don't believe that people don't know what swearwords are. I believe there is a common understanding - a concensus, if you will - about which swearwords can be used in everyday conversation and/or on TV, and which words are not acceptabl in everyday conversation and/or on TV. I can't see that any reasonable posted would believe that the above quote represents use of swearwords and/or obscenity.

Note, even though (for example) the word "shit" can be used in posting, calling someone "you shit" remains a personal attack and would result in a Rule 1 warning, just like "you moronic mononeuronal ******". I don't believe that's hard to understand, either.

Do you have issues with either of the examples I've given directly above? This seems to be becoming increasingly hypothetical.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 20 February 2012, 23:24:03 »
You don't even need to know which words are swear words.

Quote from: George Carlin
The seven words you can't say on television are: shit, piss, ******, ******, ******, ******, and tits.

Tada, it does all the word for you.

Register