Author Topic: FM 3145 Keshik compositions  (Read 1367 times)

Jmlee236

• Recruit
FM 3145 Keshik compositions
« on: 10 August 2020, 03:39:57 »
Looking at the various Keshiks of the various Clans, they read 100% Omnis. Surely the Falcons have plenty of totem 'Mechs in their Keshiks. Surely the WiE have a Hellstar or some other nasty 'Mechs in their Keshiks. On top of that, the RATs have... one or two Omnis for each weight class?

How is this meant to be used? Using the Keshik bonus to the roll, you'd end up with tons of the last 2 or 3 'Mechs from the list. Am I reading something wrong?

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
Re: FM 3145 Keshik compositions
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2020, 18:01:42 »
Looking at the various Keshiks of the various Clans, they read 100% Omnis. Surely the Falcons have plenty of totem 'Mechs in their Keshiks. Surely the WiE have a Hellstar or some other nasty 'Mechs in their Keshiks.
if they are 100% Omni, then the Falcons in fact don't have any totem 'Mechs in their Keshiks (are any of the Falcon totems Omni? I don't recall off the top of my head), and the WiE don't have any Hellstars in theirs...whether you think that's weird or not, that's how it is

On top of that, the RATs have... one or two Omnis for each weight class?

How is this meant to be used? Using the Keshik bonus to the roll, you'd end up with tons of the last 2 or 3 'Mechs from the list. Am I reading something wrong?
the RATs are used to quickly create faction-flavoured units, so if you want to roll up a Falcon Keshik without digging deep, you can use the RAT to get something that feels Jade Falcon in composition, but it really has nothing to do with the Force Deployment listings

if you want to create for yourself a 100% Omni Falcon Keshik, you can't use the RAT and would have to manually pick which Omnis you want that the Falcons have access to
(I mean, you can use the RAT, but like you said, you end up using just like 2 or 3 Mechs)

alternately, if you still want it to be random, make your own RAT of Falcon Omnis, just put the most common ones in the middle, leading to the more rare ones at top and bottom
« Last Edit: 10 August 2020, 18:03:45 by Zeruel »
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2020, 00:03:00 »
While I personally built 100% Omnimech forces for my Wolf Gold and Silver Keshiks. I didn't do so for my Raptor Keshik Command Star. Especially, since Bonfire of Worlds specifically states that Malvina's Command Star included her Shrike 3, a Phoenix Hawk IIC, a Gyrfalcon, and a Turkina. I find it highly doubtful that Malvina would give up her Shrike, even for an Omnimech. So it seems that there are definite exceptions to the 100% Omni rule for Keshiks, at least among the Jade Falcons. Also, the 1st Falcon Striker Cluster is listed as 100% Omni yet their commander Stephanie Chistu pilots a Jade Hawk, which is not an Omni. So it seems pretty obvious that the percentages in FM3145 are not in fact 100% absolute. FM3085 has a similar problem in that the WiE Golden Keshik is listed as being 100% Omni, but that Phelan Kell was likely piloting a Solitaire at that time.

Unlike earlier FMs that broke down Clan Mech forces by Omni/Clan-tech/IS-tech FM3085 and FM3145 only give an Omni percentage even though we know that all the Clans were operating an even greater mixture of technologies than previous eras. Also, considering a lot of the second-line forces are using vehicles, including lots of Omnivehicles, yet are listed as 0% Omni it seems like the Omni percentages in FM3145 are unreliable or don't tell the full story.

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2020, 00:44:04 »
well at the end of the day you play your game, if you don't want to follow the 100% Omni rating, you don't have to
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2020, 09:55:42 »
FM3085 has a similar problem in that the WiE Golden Keshik is listed as being 100% Omni, but that Phelan Kell was likely piloting a Solitaire at that time.

Unlike earlier FMs that broke down Clan Mech forces by Omni/Clan-tech/IS-tech FM3085 and FM3145 only give an Omni percentage even though we know that all the Clans were operating an even greater mixture of technologies than previous eras. Also, considering a lot of the second-line forces are using vehicles, including lots of Omnivehicles, yet are listed as 0% Omni it seems like the Omni percentages in FM3145 are unreliable or don't tell the full story.

Just because MWDA put Phelan in one for a bit . . . I mean, look at his history- Wolfhound, Kit Fox (training), whatever in Trial of Position, all the mechs in Trial of Bloodright, I think a Dire Wolf in the 3060 trial for a Leviathan cargo load, Executioner in Bulldog, Wolfhound IIC again during Audacity?, Timber Wolf in Tharkad invasion . . . so Phelan will use what he wants depending on circumstances it seems.

FM3145 has a whole lot of problems between RATs and what was written in the book . . . where is the piles of Lyran salvage for Epsilon Galaxy?  While I appreciate breaking down the Clan equipment levels into 3 tiers, the 'Keshik' tier is off- IMO Frontline, Secondline & Garrison is the break down.  But some of that is a difference in how the Clans equip . . . for instance, FMCC/WC era the Shark's Spina galaxies were listed as secondline but they read as having a qualitative difference between the Spinas and true garrison galaxies.  In the 3050s, the Invasion Wolves' Tau Galaxy was set up that way as well . . . reactivated, refit or purchased equipment filled with a lot of the newest warriors until Ulric shuffled folks up.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

James Bedford

• Private
  • Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!
    • OH and MD Mechwarrior group
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2020, 13:49:49 »
The Omni rating is probably just there to make the Keshik seem more threatening or dangerous.  If it gives you trouble to think about, just ignore it. 

Also, novels always take precedence over sourcebooks for canonicity, so like the one responder above stated, the Raptor Keshik clearly has non-omnis in them based on Bonfire of Worlds
Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2020, 15:08:54 »
A few entries in the 3145 TROs mention an action on Hesperus II between Lyran Royal Guards and elements of the Raptor Keshik that included at least a Shadow Cat II and an Onager, IIRC. I mean, Malvina herself pilots a Shrike, and she would certainly be part of the Raptor. I interpret the 100% Omnis bit to be representative of the fact this unit has access to the best equipment available if it so desires, given where Omnis lie on the RATs as others have pointed out.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I