Author Topic: To Climb Back Again  (Read 17661 times)

DOC_Agren

• Major
Re: To Climb Back Again
« Reply #60 on: 16 May 2018, 21:20:11 »
But what is Showers looking for Dersidatz that will help explain the Why of the Smoked Kitties
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #61 on: 17 May 2018, 07:31:20 »
I assume most of you read the recent article on TechRaptor? I see BT fiction chief John Helfers is a smoked kitty fan, and there's a new Pardoe book about them on the way!

Relevant part (on question of their favorite faction, emphasis added):
John: If I must choose, I’d have to go with the late Smoke Jaguar Clan–the surviving remnants of which are getting their moment in the sun in a forthcoming novel from Blaine Lee Pardoe next year. Not only did they have the coolest sigil (IMO), but they were also one of the fiercest Clans around.

Which makes me happy and sad. Happy that this is a subject that's getting attention, sad that big BLP is gonna steal my thunder. I mean, it's not like he invented the whole post-annihilation SJ storyline oh right yes he did. Ah well.

Great Eastern Plain/Große Steppe
Blantleff, Marian Hegemony
29 April, 3070

They stood like smoky scarecrows in the long wind-blown grass, silhouetted against the horizon. Furey dialed the magnification up to maximum and read the data on each machine. By their rusted, battered appearance, he took them for Circinians. They were all fast machines, able to catch up to the retreating column, but they had nothing as heavy as his Bushwacker.

What a collection they were. There was a CDA-3C PPC-armed variant Cicada, although the wedge-shaped arms seemed to have been lifted straight from a Locust; a heavily-armed Phoenix Hawk K with a Blackjack head unit and the right arm from a Griffin that gave it a lopsided look; a Clint with its medium lasers replaced by rocket launchers on either shoulder; and oddest of all, what appeared to be the arms and legs of a Firestarter mated to the head and torso of an UrbanMech. They were probably the last of the Circinian BattleMechs.

They hung back, just out of gauss rifle range, evidently wary of the four Regulator hovertanks the Hardcases still fielded.

It was a feint—well, a diversion or a feint. So blatantly and obviously a feint. But what was the point of a feint, out here on the steppe, where your real attack would still be visible 10 kilometers away?

Furey clicked the battalion channel. “Furey to Claymore,” he said. The Hardcases hadn’t come up with callsigns for anyone. “Recommend we make a hit and run attack on the BattleMechs with the hovertanks. They have the range and speed to hurt them yet stay out of range of return fire, then catch up with the column again.”

“Didn’t ask for your advice Furey.” That was Major Claymore. “Not risking it. We’ve only got four hovertanks left, with four gauss rounds each. Now hold position and stay off this channel.” The line clicked dead.

The mulish stubbornness that had annihilated Captain Tyson’s company was still very much intact, Furey thought sourly.

So they held position, for an hour they just sat there, the four Regulators on the crest of a gentle rise and his Bushwacker on the reverse slope, as the column grew further and further distant with each moment. Was this their plan, Furey wondered, to separate the rearguard from the main body? That might make sense if they had another force to strike with, but there was nothing as far as the horizon.

Furey clicked over to the hovertank lance channel. “Smells like a trap to me, Lieutenant, what do you think?”

“I think we’ve got our orders,” came the curt reply from Lieutenant Short, the lance commander.

Furey shook his head in disgust. There was a trap here, there had to be. He looked back over the Circinians again—fast, but not hovertank fast, outranged by both his own missiles and the hovertanks’ gauss cannon. “We have our orders,” he agreed. “We also have the advantages of mobility and firepower. Let us use them.”

“You’re a brevet-lieutenant, aren’t you Furey?” asked Lieutenant Short, frostily. “I don’ take orders from you.”

This, Furey thought, was what you got when people forgot what they were fighting for. You didn’t fight for your commander or his commander. You fought to win. Everything else was details. He scanned the enemy ’Mechs again.

Details.

He looked carefully at the Phoenix Hawk K. There, on the legs, some kind of stanchions had been welded to both legs. He shifted the focus to the Cicada. Same hastily-attached protrusions. He’d seen similar arrangements on the legs of some OmniMechs…

Furey slapped the channel button again. “Short, watch for battle armor!”

“Furey I told you to—”

The lead hovertank erupted into a sudden, violent fireball, spawning clusters of subsidiary detonations as pieces crashed to the ground, shattered hull plates and fragments flying violently in all directions as a roiling cloud of black smoke shot into the sky.

“Purifiers!” Furey was shouting, sending the Bushwacker in a run towards the hovertanks. He’d been right—the ’Mechs were a feint—and the Blakists had found a way to launch a sneak attack: mimetic battle suits. A smart move, since Regulators lacked any anti-infantry weapons. “Purifier suits, chameleon armor. Everyone move before they swarm you!”

He searched the grass near the tanks, flipping through each overlay, thermal, radar, magnetic, looking for the tell-tale glitches of moving Purifier armor. There! He fired the nose-mounted laser, adding the machineguns, watched a man-sized figure suddenly appear in an orange-red glow, burning and tumbling across the steppe.

“Got one on our hull! They’re cutting through!”

Furey saw a blur of motion on top of the second Regulator, a white flash of laser fire cutting into the crew access hatch. Firing his laser would risk hitting the tank. He charged forward, machineguns blazing, then rammed the cylinder of the left arm into the middle of the blur and sent it spinning away.

The commander of the third tank was screaming incoherently, the turret twisting left and right, loosing off gauss rounds at random, one whizzing dangerously close to Furey’s Bushwacker. “I’m out man, I’m out!” the commander shouted. The tank spun around, and fled towards the mercenary column at full speed.

Furey’s curse was cut short as a pair of lasers stung his leg armor. He fired the laser once, twice, blasting another Purifier to black ruin, charged, catching another with a sweep of the left arm that hurled the armored suit in an arc a dozen meters into the air, before it crashed back down, plowing a long furrow in the grass.

Another, by his foot. Furey didn’t even slow, just brought the foot crashing down, registering the slight hitch in the ’Mech’s stride.

There was a scream from the fourth tank. Furey looked over to see it settle onto the ground, smoke pouring from every hatch, curling around the outlines of two humanoid figures on the hull. He fired, and one figure threw up its arms before tumbling from the tank. The other ducked, leaped to the far side of the tank and was gone.

“BattleMechs!” The second tank commander called out a warning.

The four Circinian machines charged forward, the Cicada in the lead. They would be in range in seconds.

Furey fired both missile racks at the Cicada without waiting for a lock-on. “Circle around their back,” he told the Regulator. “Target that Cicada, the UrbanStarter next.”

The hovertank tore away, chased by particle cannon bolts that blasted into the ground well behind it. The main cannon roared once, scoring a hit that blew off the Cicada’s right arm. The ’Mech wobbled, slowed. In the Bushwacker’s cockpit, the crosshairs over the Cicada flashed gold and a tone announced a lock.

Furey fired everything—missiles, laser, the right arm autocannon. Fat globs of armor ran from the left hip, exposing the titanium bone beneath, which shattered under the hail of cannon fire. The leg snapped, sending the Cicada crashing nose-first into the ground.

The Bushwacker rocked under the blast of a particle cannon. The Circinians had turned from chasing the hovertank to deal with Furey instead. The Phoenix Hawk went left, the Clint right, the UrbanStarter in the center, trying to catch him in a pincer. Furey backpedaled, switching his fire to the Clint, loosing off another barrage of missile and cannon fire.

They were faster than he was, and outnumbered him three to one. Only a matter of time before they succeeded in surrounding him. No cover out here on the steppe.

Unless.

Furey fired on the Clint again, then twisted right, gritting his teeth against the vertigo wobble of the gyro, throwing the Bushwacker into a flat-out run. Headed for the hulks of the two burning Regulators. Force them to engage him one at a time, keeping the burning hulks between him and the other flankers.

He charged around the tank, through the billowing smoke, out the other side—almost on top of the Clint. A swarm of rockets tore through the air, rattling Furey violently in the cockpit. His own missiles and laser hammered into the ’Mech’s right shoulder, knocking it back a step, before the autocannon drove a stream of depleted uranium penetrators into the same point, spinning the Clint completely around and knocking it onto its belly.

Before it could rise, Furey brought a foot crushing down on the thing’s right arm, pulverizing its autocannon and trapping it, face-down on the ground. He fired the nose laser almost straight down, into the back of the Clint’s head, turning the cockpit into a fiery bowl of molten metal.

A jolt from a particle cannon blast announced the Phoenix’s Hawk’s return to the fight. Red warning lights flashed on the control panel—armor breach. Shoulder actuator damage. Left arm LRM rack inoperable.

Furey spun the Bushwacker around, ‘Mech staggering to one side as the gyro struggled to compensate, to present the undamaged side towards his opponent. Thumb working the laser trigger, splashing fire across the other ’Mech’s torso.

The Phoenix Hawk skirted around the Regulator, marching forward in a rolling, unbalanced gate, oversized right arm spewing another blast of blue-white energy, almost blinding Furey before the ferroglass polarized to compensate. More armor boiled away, this time over the torso, blasting through the hastily-repaired wound over the gyro.

The Bushwacker shook violently to one side, waves of conflicting signals pounding through Furey’s neurohelmet, making the world spin, his vision go blurry. He shook his head, tried to ride it out, bring the HUD back into focus.

The Phoenix Hawk took another step, then lurched as something smashed into the back of the right arm elbow, snapping it, so that it hung broken and useless.

“That got him!” Furey recognized the voice of the second Regulator pilot. A quick glance told the story: the UrbanStarter down, chest caved in, the Regulator now circling behind the Phoenix Hawk. His glee was cut short by the tank’s next message, however: “That’s the last slug. We’re dry. All up to you now!”

The Phoenix Hawk took a step back, then another, still firing its remaining lasers.

Furey took a breath, willed the controls into stability. Hit hard and fast, like the jaguar. Waited until he had a solid lock. Fired.

The laser hit first, smashing into the Phoenix Hawk’s knee, forcing it to stop. Giving Furey plenty of time to aim and fire the autocannon. The feed thudded away until he heard a dry click and the HUD announced: No Ammo. A line of shells marched up the Mech’s chest, up to the head, cracking through the faceplate, blasting through the armor and out the other side.

And he was the only one left standing.

The remaining Purifiers were fleeing, not trying to hide any more, bouncing and leaping across the plain. Furey, drenched in sweat, feeling he was one head turn away from vomiting all over the controls, let them go. Encouraged them on their way with a few snap-blasts of the laser cannon. He thought he might have hit one of them. Didn’t really matter.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

zephir

• Recruit
« Reply #62 on: 17 May 2018, 09:59:35 »
Intense, thanks!

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #63 on: 17 May 2018, 22:49:40 »
In a word, this is excellent.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #64 on: 18 May 2018, 07:19:03 »
Intense, thanks!
You're welcome! I'll pay you later ... whoops, meant to whisper that. Er, pay you with a crisp high five, that is!

In a word, this is excellent.
That's a nice word. Thanks!

It was a long march to catch up with the rest of the column.

A crowd was waiting as he climbed down from the ’Mech: Major Zack Claymore standing stiff and still, anger barely held in check, a grinning Captain Frazier Haven, some of the commando squad—Sergeant Bor, Bulldog, Irons, Arman. Phoebe. And right at the back, looking surprisingly ambulatory, Morton Showers.

“That was a disaster, Sergeant Furey,” Claymore began as soon as Furey’s feet touched the ground. “Two tanks lost, the other two out of ammo, your machine shot to hell. What the hell did you think you were doing?”

Furey noted his demotion from Lieutenant, clenched his teeth a little before replying: “Following orders, Major.”

“Don’t try to lay your incompetence on me, Furey—” Claymore began, when he was cut off.

“Ease up, Major,” said Haven with a not-so-friendly grin. “He saved everyone’s asses out there.” On the other side, Bulldog growled the least friendly ‘Mm-hm’ Furey had ever heard. He surprised himself with the pride he felt—his team, his freebirth team, but never mind, they were his team. Claymore looked around, seemed to notice where he was standing, quickly recalculating.

“You’re lucky we don’t have another MechWarrior,” he finished lamely. “I expect you to cover the retreat on your own from now on, Furey.” Claymore nodded to himself, satisfied that sounded moderately threatening enough, then turned on his heel and shouldered his way through the crowd. Nobody moved to let him pass.

“Dun’worry about him,” grinned Captain Haven, clapping Furey on the shoulder. “Man’s got all the bite of the Rasalhaugian army.”

“Do they still have one?”

“Don’t think so.”

“Ah. Well, that is a relief.”

Then he was face to face with Phoebe and everyone suddenly found other places to look.

“You okay?” she asked.

“A little cold at nights.”

“Head’s still screwed on backwards, I see. And your body?”

“Hard to say. You could give me a thorough examination.”

She grinned a little, bit her lip, but then shook her head. “Not as long as you’re still living in the past.”

“It’s not that simple,” he protested.

“Ain’t it?”

“You have never lost your entire people.”

“Haven’t I?” She was quite cool now, any trace of growing warmth wiped away by his words. “The hell do you know about anything Furey?”

He wanted to call out to her retreating back, but stubborn pride, pride and hopelessness, held him back. To hell with … everything, really. The hell did he know about anything, anyway?

Furey sat on the foot of the Bushwacker until everyone had gone, then leaned forward with a sigh and massaged his face with the balls of his hands. The sound of shifting feet told him he was not alone. Ah, the gauntlet of inquisitors was not yet done. He looked up, wearily, and found Showers looking down on him.

“You are looking better,” Furey said. Showers was—he was upright, for one thing, skin no longer deathly grey, eyes no longer sweatily feverish. The faint aura of condescending disdain, however, was quite intact.

“You should have challenged him.”

“Who, Major Claymore? It is not their way, Star Captain, as well you know. If I killed him in a duel, they would turn on me.”

“Faugh, then they do not deserve your support. Let them be ash beneath our feet,” Showers scoffed. “I saw your fight, Cadet Leto.”

“Did you, Rescued Invalid Showers?”

“I am Star Captain Showers!”

“Ah, so you want us to address each other as we are now, not as we were in the past?”

Showers huffed, dismissively. “I refuse to be goaded in this. I came to tell you that you fought … well, and this is how I am answered? With arrogance and disrespect?”

“Oh please, Star Captain, you are as bad at lying as our clan is at not dying. I fought well, but. There is a ‘but’ in there, I can tell. Go on. Say it. I fought well, but what?”

Showers appeared to wrestle with himself for a moment, trying to stifle the words, but in the end he couldn’t. “You have talent boy, no denying it. That is why I am disappointed. Your victory is tainted,” he said finally, words tumbling out in a rush. “Punching and kicking your opponents like a dark caste brawler. Allowing the tank to ambush your opponents rather than defeating them in honorable, one-on-one combat.”

“I won,” Furey replied. “I survived. Sorry if that disappoints you.”

“Anything is acceptable if you win? That is the same reasoning the Word of Blake uses, quineg?” Showers retorted.

Furey shrugged angrily. He had thought much the same thing. “They do seem to be winning.”

“This is why you must follow me to the city. We must find … what I am looking for. You will find your way then.”

Furey threw up his hands in disgust. “Yes, this wonderful magical thing, which you will not describe to me, nor explain where it can be found, will surely answer everything.”

“You will see.”

And finally, mercifully, he was alone.

Great Eastern Plain/Große Steppe
30 April, 3070

He was not alone.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

zephir

• Recruit
« Reply #65 on: 20 May 2018, 05:15:41 »
I sure hope the author will explain where this wonderful magical thing was found, describe it to us, and tell us what the questions were  >:D
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 05:17:49 by zephir »

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #66 on: 20 May 2018, 06:24:47 »
I sure hope the author will explain where this wonderful magical thing was found, describe it to us, and tell us what the questions were  >:D
Right now? That's a negatory. Before the end? Two thumbs all the way up.

Furey jerked awake, sitting upright in his sleeping bag, still dressed in shirt and combat fatigues. A dark silhouette crouched just inside the trance to his tent.

“Phoebe?”

A throaty chuckle. “Oooh, does it have a girlfriend? Phoebe, oh yes, Phoebe,” a woman’s familiar voice mocked. “Was she the other one who helped kill my brother? Not to worry then, her time will come.”

Furey’s eyes slowly adjusted, revealing the figure’s features like a camera lens focusing. The lighter shadows of cheekbones, a slash of white where a mouth was curled into a sneer. Colorless eyes. Achlys. A slim, needle-shaped pistol rested in the woman’s hand.

“After you performance on the field, Oriax wants a word with you, clanner. So you and I, we’re going to take a walk.” Achlys lifted the pistol fractionally. “This is a tranq gun. Very quiet, fires darts that can deliver sedatives, poisons, nerve agents, any chemical really. Wonder what I’ve loaded this one with? Try to run or cry out and you’ll find out. It’s Oriax that wants to talk with you, not me—if it was up to me, you’d be dead already.”

“For someone who does not want to talk, you do an awful lot of it.”

In the darkness, he saw her shoulders tense. “Those had better be the last words I hear out of you, or you die screaming in agony.” Achlys filled her cheeks, and blew a breath at him. “That won’t be necessary now though, will it?”

Furey felt it again, that strange compulsion to desire this woman. The tent seemed suddenly cozy, close, intimate, the woman’s presence here like a promise, an irresistible offer. When she backed out of the tent and crooked a finger towards him, all he could do was follow.

His tent was pitched away from the others, not far from the Bushwacker. There was a distant reddish glow of campfires here and there, but not enough light for anyone to see what was happening, he thought. They would assume the woman was Phoebe, probably.

“Your BattleMech,” Achlys murmured. “We’ll leave in that. It’ll be—” her lips twitched and Furey’s pulse raced. “—a tight fit though.” She waved the tranq gun towards the Bushwacker. “Don’t worry about leaving your friends. We’ve arranged a little surprise for them. Any minute now.”

Furey stumbled helplessly along through the knee-high grass, Achlys just behind him. He tried to cling to some thread of rationality: loyalty, duty, his oath—but it was useless—revenge on this woman—revenge was a dead end—his clan—but Showers … Phoebe …

“Get down. Wait here,” the woman crouched and his befuddled brain followed her lead. He could hear the distant throb of helicopter rotor blades. Not to worry. It was probably just the Blakists launching a surprise night attack. What did it matter, as long as Achlys was here?

Gunfire illuminated the darkness in spastic pulses, filled the silence with echoing crashes. People were shouting, running. Pairs of missiles rose like fireworks, exploding in dazzling shapes across the sky, briefly illuminating the shapes a flight of Pinto assault VTOLs. Small arms—assault rifles, carbines—added their chatter, punctuated by the shockwave whoomph of light gauss rifle fire.

“Time to go,” said Achlys, motioning Furey to rise.

“Leto?” A voice called out from the darkness as Furey stood.

Achlys whirled, gun flashing in the ruddy light. Furey tried to speak, but it was as though he was drunk, unable to form coherent words. Achlys’s finger was on the trigger.

Furey threw out an arm. Convincing himself that it was a joke, fooled himself into believing it, this was just a silly little thing he was doing, giggling to himself as he connected with Achlys’s wrist, throwing her arm up just as she squeezed the trigger, the tranq gun coughing gently and spitting its dart into the sky.

Achlys’s free hand caught Furey in the throat, hitting him like a hammer, knocking him sprawling and choking into the grass. As before, violence restored clarity. He had to shout a warning, but all that would come was a wracking cough. Achlys turned back towards the darkness, the figure there. Late. He was too late.

Achlys froze. “You?”

Someone cannoned into her legs, knocking her down, just as a missile struck one of the hovering Pinto helicopters and blew it out of the sky. In the light of the fiery rain that came tumbling down, Furey saw who it was: Showers.

Achlys was on her feet in an instant, foot snapping out. Furey had seen how fast she’d moved before, knew that her legs could contain nothing even vaguely human. Showers was ready for it though, dodging back, catching the woman off-balance and landing a kick of his own to her other knee. Achlys didn’t even flinch, pivoted in a full circle and lashed out again.

Showers danced nimbly out of reach, and they stood there, the two, crouched and ready, waiting for the other to move. Achlys touched something at her wrist. One of the Pintos was heading their way, rotors rapidly growing from distant throb to full-throated roar. The downdraft started to buffet Furey as he struggled to his feet.

He felt blindly for the fallen tranq gun, but in the darkness, in the tall grass, it was hopeless.

Furey looked up in time to see Showers say something to Achlys, he mouth moving, but the sound swallowed by the approaching helicopter. She sneered back, rushed at Showers again, striking out with fists, feet, but Showers anticipated, twisting away or deflecting each blow. Then reacted a moment too slow, took a kick to the stomach and folded, gasping. Achlys grinned in triumph.

The helicopter was almost directly overhead now, flying low, its rotor blades blowing a gale around the struggling figures. It switched on a searchlight, erasing all color in its blinding beam. Bad news, Furey knew. The Pinto had three lasers in its turret—at this range, an isolated target would be easy prey.

Only one thing to do. He sprinted towards Achlys, threw himself forward in a tackle. She staggered sideways, then brought an elbow ramming down into Furey’s back, dropping him to the ground on all fours. She aimed a kick at his head but he rolled away, then she was forced to face Showers as he came at her again in a flurry of punches and strikes.

Another whoomph thundered from behind Furey and the Pinto’s searchlight shattered and went dark. Its turret swiveled, firing a trio of green beams blindly into the night, close enough that Furey could feel the heat on his back through his shirt, making him throw himself prone on the ground, under the height of the clinging grass.

“You should have stayed where I left you.”

Furey was close enough now that he could hear Achlys and Showers, yelling at each other over the howl of the helicopter.

“I wonder what Oriax thinks of that?” Showers replied.

“He thinks whatever I tell him, heretic. Filth!”

Whoomph. Closer now. Furey thought he could hear the impact of gauss rounds on armor. He risked rising to a crouch, saw Achlys and Showers facing each other less than three meters away. A long, thin snake of darkness came looping down and Achlys grabbed it with one hand.

“Not if I talk to him first. You had better run, woman. They are close now.”

Achlys said nothing, only shot Showers a look filled with hate, then began climbing up the line that had fallen, even as it began to rise into the sky. The timber of the rotors changed, the Pinto climbing and angling away, Achlys swinging like a pendulum beneath it, still climbing, before being lost into darkness.

Furey made his way next to Showers. They stood side by side, watching the helicopter retreat, listening to the dwindling sound of its engines.

From across the camp, gunfire was dying down, the rest of the Blakists evidently hearing the same signal to retreat.

“She recognized you,” Furey said quietly.

“I should think so,” Showers shrugged. “I was her prisoner.”

“And Oriax? What was that about him?”

“Ah yes, that.” Showers looked thoughtful. “He is looking for the same thing as I am. If he finds it, he will use it to enslave our people.”

“Neat.” Furey was tired of Showers being opaque. Mentally, he shrugged. The man would tell him in time, or not. Evidently, there was nothing he could do to hurry the process. He switched tacks. “Still believe in one-on-one duels? She would have killed you.”

“Then I would have deserved to die,” Showers said, calmly. “And then you would have killed her. The clan would have survived. I told you: the individual is not important. Only the clan. Sometimes, sacrifices are made so the clan may continue.”

Furey didn’t know if he could match such self-erasing bravery. He had wanted a good death, but that was a selfish wish, to leave a legacy for himself. Would he have accepted a forgotten end for the sake of another Smoke Jaguar?

The clans were not, as a rule, terribly big on metaphysics. “Why am I here? What is my purpose in life?” These were questions you didn’t ask when your purpose was determined by caste.

Laborers, here are your hands, now build things that kill. Technicians, here are your tools, now fix things that kill. Merchants, here are your ships, now buy things that kill. Scientists, here is your lab, now invent new ways to kill.

Warriors, here are your weapons, now go kill things—or failing that, go kill yourself.

Annihilation had robbed Smoke Jaguar of the old certainties though. Their insectile hive of a society had failed him. A freebirth woman had saved him. Individuals mattered, because the path where they didn’t ended on an operating table in a Word of Blake prison.

Furey swallowed his argument. Now was not the time. “You saved my life. I am grateful.”

Showers threw and arm around his shoulder. “Good. That is a beginning. Then, when we reach the city. Then … then we shall see. In our dark days of wandering, He gave us Hidden Hope. Prophetic words.”

There was something in the man’s face, half-seen in the faint reflected light, some need. Dark pools of desire in the geography of Showers’ face, black oceans of want. Suddenly, Furey was afraid of this man.

The two were illuminated by bobbing tactical lights, as a squad of men approached them. Furey turned, squinting against the glare, and made out Sergeant Bor, the hulking form of Bulldog, the grim face of Irons, and Phoebe, clutching an assault rifle.

“Easy lads, it’s Furey and th’other one,” Bor called out.

“We have you to thank for taking out the searchlight?” Furey waved to them. “Fine shooting.”

“Yeah, well, your tent was empty and the ’Mech stayed put, so some of us—” Bor tipped his head slightly in Phoebe’s direction, “—were worried something had happened to you.”

“I see I was worried for nothing though,” said Phoebe, frowning at Showers’ arm around Furey’s shoulder.

“Well, they did send an agent to try and kidnap me,” Furey protested. Showers’ hand on his shoulder tensed in mute disapproval of Furey’s defensive tone. A trueborn needed no excuses when speaking to a freeborn.

“One of their leaders, the woman Achlys,” Showers supplied.

Phoebe rolled her eyes and turned away. “No guesses how she got to you, then.” Which was unfair, and she knew it, and Furey knew it, but once you’d left yourself open to someone, he found it hard to close up again, found it too easy to go on hurting one another.

“You did that deliberately,” he said accusingly to Showers once they were gone.

“I told the truth.”

“If you truly know something that will revive the clan, I will listen. Until then, stay out of my affairs.”

“Sometimes we must punish, not out of spite, but out of love,” Showers said. “Leto, at times you are as close to me as my sibkin, but at others, as incomprehensible as eternity. You are a warrior, Leto. Five are our foundations, One above the rest, Four are the stepping stones, The fifth, the pinnacle. You are the pinnacle, Leto. She is a freebirth. Unworthy of you.”

It didn’t feel that way, not at the moment. More like, in listening to this man, Furey had become unworthy of her.

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #67 on: 20 May 2018, 06:52:04 »
The fanaticism of the Jaguars vs the MD... that's a fun matchup
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 20 May 2018, 09:57:48 »
The fanaticism of the Jaguars vs the MD... that's a fun matchup
Oh absolutely.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #69 on: 21 May 2018, 06:59:04 »
Dersidatz
9 May, 3070

Dersidatz was much smaller than Blantzville, at around 300,000 inhabitants, compact and organized where the other city had been a lazy sprawl. It nestled at the foot of Mount Thumb (or Grünberg, depending on who you talked to), a sort of solitary, rounded and greenish Matterhorn of stone that abruptly thrust from the surrounding plain. The lower slopes of the mountain were pockmarked with caves, interlinked beneath the surface, where the initial settlers had lived before expanding into the valley below.

At the edge of the southern horizon there was a faint flickering line of blue—the Bigwater Ocean. Furey smiled when he saw it. “The sea, the sea,” he said to himself, but doubted anyone would get the reference.

The centerpiece of the city was the 700-meter long, 150-meter high grey-black hulk of a crash-landed Volga class transport. How or when it had been brought down was unknown—Lothian settlers arriving in the early 2900s had found it already there, its nose resting almost gently against a rising scarp, its tail at the end of a 20-kilometer long furrow the ship had plowed through the ground when it landed—an area now known colloquially as ‘The Skid.’

The hull, originally white, had been singed black by its passage through the planet’s atmosphere and its sudden encounter with the surface. The nose had crumpled, deck plates buckled, weapon turrets crushed or melted into slag, and spars and gossamer sheets from the solar sail still littered the plain on either side of The Skid for dozens of kilometers.

Best guess made it a refugee of the SLDF assault on the Rim Worlds Republic during the Amaris Civil War, though the crew had either died on impact or of starvation or disease shortly after, so the truth would never be known.

The Marians had established their headquarters inside the ship, on one of the lower decks, accessed through a great rent in the side of the hull. The Marians had survived the crossing of the steppe rather better than the Hardcases, harried by Circinian mercenaries and Word of Blake Militia, but without serious fighting. They still had just over two dozen BattleMechs, which a score of Hardcase APCs and Furey’s walking scrap-heap of a Bushwacker would do little to reinforce.

So the Hardcases were tasked with defending the civilian population, now evacuated to the mountain-side network of caves.

The Hardcase commanders were in the hull now, in conference with the Marians: Colonel Hardy— looking more like an avant-garde artiste than military commander with his parachutist’s red beret and long grey hair tied back in a bun—as well as Major Claymore, leaving Furey, Captain Haven, Sergeant Bor and half a dozen others cooling their heels outside.

Furey rested against a curved shrapnel of hull plate, half-buried in the ground. A faded black and yellow label warned him ‘No Step.’ He figured sitting would be allowed. Bor had found cigarettes somewhere in town, earning himself a field promotion to Lieutenant and Chief Procurement Officer for the length of Haven’s first smoke. The Captain stood puffing as contentedly as a steam train next to Furey while the pack was passed around.

Furey held up a palm, shook his head.

“Not like cancer’s gonna kill you before the Blakies,” said Bor, but he shrugged and handed the pack to Bulldog, who promptly took two, sticking one behind his ear: “I’ll take his share, then.”

Furey smiled, and returned his gaze to the valley below. The city was eerily quiet now that everyone was in the caves, the ramshackle buildings post-apocalyptically still, with their sad-eyed windows, walls of stone, brick or repurposed hull steel. One of the house walls had a lever sticking out, labelled: ‘Rescue: Turn lever.’ Its metal shine had now faded as everyone who walked by gave the handle a spin.

“I figure if anyone’s gonna rescue us, it’s gonna be Prince Victor. Anybody ever asked you about Bulldog and Serpent, Furey?” Bulldog asked.

“No,” Furey said dryly, rolling his eyes for effect. “In my 10 years as a clanner fighting in the Inner Sphere, none of you have ever mentioned your greatest victory over the clans to me.”

“Tactful, that’s us,” chuckled Bor. “Still, they saved the Inner Sphere.”

Furey made a show of looking around the abandoned city. “Saved,” he repeated, deadpan.

“Well, okay, but they did stop you lot from making us slaves, with your castes and all.”

“Castes? Ah, you mean, like the hereditary nobility that rules every single realm in the Inner Sphere?”

“Yeah, exactly…” Bor trailed off. “Huh, yeah, we’ve got that, too.”

“Say this for Prince Victor, he’s a fighter,” Bulldog said. “I figure if anyone’s gonna beat the Blakies, it’s gonna be him.”

Furey tensed and checked his first answer, thinking of the fires on Huntress, the terrible light that tore through Trainer Cole. The past was a prison, though. He fought to relax. “He learned the rules of the game, and learned how to play it better than us,” Furey agreed. “A better fighter than ruler though, I think. For all his victories, he has failed to give his people peace.”

Furey had fought for Katherine, at first, taken delight in crushing a statue of Prince Victor under his BattleMech’s foot on Kathil. One of Victor standing with a drawn sword, and on the plinth the inscription: The invasion started with a Smoke Jaguar, and now it has ended with one. Furey let the ground eat those words, and the lie they held.

But that hadn’t been the end—and he’d grown quickly weary of the petty hatreds and vindictive justice of Katherine’s forces. Gone to fight on the Jade Falcon front. Even switched to Victor’s side, near the end, when it was clear he would win anyway. Furey had seen what that victory cost.

Might made right, and Victor had been the mightiest—both on Huntress and on New Avalon—so Victor had been right. And what a hollow, killing comfort that must have been. Was there not, Furey wondered, something more?

“He is a fighter, but he is not a ruler,” Furey said. “I think it will take more than someone who can fight to defeat the Word. It will take someone who can rule.”

“Oh, is that all?” Bor quipped. “In that case, my friends, we are royally screwed.”

Furey let the laughter roll through him, like the cold wind blowing. A storm was brewing out over the Bigwater Ocean, clouds piling on top of one another in a towering atmospheric traffic jam.

“Be another day, maybe two,” Furey said to Haven, changing topics.

“What, the rain?” asked Haven between puffs. “Or the Blakies?”

“A storm, either way.”

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 21 May 2018, 08:23:33 »
Furey had fought for Katherine, at first, taken delight in crushing a statue of Prince Victor under his BattleMech’s foot on Kathil. One of Victor standing with a drawn sword, and on the plinth the inscription: The invasion started with a Smoke Jaguar, and now it has ended with one. Furey let the ground eat those words, and the lie they held.

That is such a delightful image thank you Dubble_g, If only I knew which Battlemech he was using

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #71 on: 21 May 2018, 10:13:21 »
nice.

zephir

• Recruit
« Reply #72 on: 21 May 2018, 11:34:55 »
One of the house walls had a lever sticking out, labelled: ‘Rescue: Turn lever.’ Its metal shine had now faded as everyone who walked by gave the handle a spin.

:)

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #73 on: 21 May 2018, 19:17:59 »
That is such a delightful image thank you Dubble_g, If only I knew which Battlemech he was using

Thanks for the comment!
Um... honestly, hadn't thought about it. Something thematically appropriate, maybe. A Vindicator?

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 22 May 2018, 07:06:15 »
Haven just nodded. There was a distant rattle as another passing mercenary spun the ‘Rescue’ lever.

In the silence that followed, Furey unholstered his borrowed Nova pistol and held it out towards Haven, butt-first. “I think this is yours. Might need it, when they come.”

“Old girl still in one piece, huh? Tell you what,” Haven took the Nova, then unholstered his own pistol, held the matte black shape up for Furey to see and then tossed it to him. “Take this one then. Sternsnacht Python. Forty-four Magnum, 12 shots, gas-operated, voted Most Popular Pistol in the Chaos March ten years running. Factory-guaranteed to kill the bastards dead, or your money back to your widow.”

“And if I do not have a widow?” Furey smiled, feeling the weight and balance of the gun.

“Then don’t miss,” Haven advised. Then he looked past Furey, face breaking into a smile.

“Captain Haven, Lieutenant Furey, you are surviving.” Furey turned and found his forearm being gripped by the surprisingly strong hand of Principes Beatriz Adelaar. “It is being good to see you. I am hearing you took down four of the Sissies by yourself.”

“Three, and I had help,” Furey said, returning the grip. “Likewise, good to see you too, Principes. Cigarette? Bulldog there has an extra.” Bulldog mock-scowled, but held out the extra cigarette anyway. Then beamed when Adelaar declined.

“Your commanders are being in there?” Adelaar asked. She nodded towards the 30-story high bulk of the spaceship.

“Yep. Been there all morning,” Haven answered.

“Mine also,” Adelaar said. “It is their commander, this Oriax, he is offering terms,” she explained. “We may leave the planet. All Oriax is asking for is the return of one of the prisoners we liberated.” She looked at Furey significantly.

“No guesses which one,” Furey said.

“Where is he, anyway?” asked Haven.

Furey waved towards the caves. Showers had seemed excited to find them, and disappeared for hours on end, ‘exploring’ he said, though Furey suspected ‘searching’ was hitting closer to the mark. Let the man look, he supposed, it did no harm. Kept him out of Furey’s business.

He thought of the Bushwacker, of Phoebe and a couple of borrowed Marian techs trying to put it back into something approaching battle-worthy condition. She was avoiding him much as he avoided the Star Captain.

“Think they’ll accept?” Furey asked Adelaar.

“The last time you are parleying, they are trying to kill you,” she snorted. “No, we are not so stupid as to trust them. Only planning for the battle.”

“How’s that lookin’?” asked Haven.

Adelaar gave a nonchalant shrug. “They are only having twice our numbers.”

“Ah.” Furey nodded. “Only.”

“We shall crush them,” Adelaar grinned fiercely, and smacked her right fist against her left palm. “They are at the limit of their supply lines, while we are sitting on top of ours. They are being tired, while we are well-rested.”

Furey wished he could be as optimistic. Their ‘supplies’ in the city amounted to little more than a slightly wider variety of things on the menu and running water—which was nice (he might be avoiding Showers, but he was still a fan of showers) but hardly a war-winning weapon. There was no ammunition, no heavy weaponry, only the cover that the bulk of the downed warship would provide. “I like your spirit,” he told Adelaar. “But I do not think victory will come so easily.”

Captain Haven huffed, dropped his cigarette and ground it out beneath his heel. He turned to Furey.

“You’re alive, aren’t you Furey? You said Victor ain’t much of a ruler—I tell you what he is: a survivor. So’m I, so’re you. We survived. You get to be as old as I am, you start to realize that’s what winning looks like,” Haven poked him in the chest. “You’re breathing, that’s enough. Victory? Hell, ain’t never gonna be no victory, not in a thousand years. People were fighting in the exodus, in the Age of War, fighting in the Reunification, against Amaris, in the Succession Wars, against the Clans, now against the Word. There ain’t never gonna be no victory. Staying alive, that’s the only way you or I win.”

That made a kind of sense to Furey. It put into words what he had felt over the last decade, that if revenge on the Inner Sphere would be impossible, then his own life would be his revenge. The Spheroids’ inability to kill him was his rebuttal to their claim to have defeated Smoke Jaguar. Put the lie to Prince Victor’s words, The invasion started with a Smoke Jaguar, and now it has ended with one. No, Khan Osis was far from being the last Smoke Jaguar.

So maybe Furey had been wrong and Haven right—the capstone of that life would not be a glorious death, but an unbowed life. That felt like half the answer, though. There was still a piece missing—what Showers had said. About building something for the future.

“If the clans capture Terra—” he began.

“Ain’t gonna change shit,” Haven spat. “We already tried the united humanity thing. Didn’t take. They’re just gonna be one more tyrant in a line of tyrants, from Cameron, to Amaris, to Steiner-Davion, to this ‘Master.’ Just gonna be one more excuse to try an’ kill us. The way you and me win is: We don’t let ‘em.”

“Our own lives, is that all that matters?” Furey objected. “What is the difference between us and bandits then?”

“Those we protect,” Adelaar replied. “I am agreeing with the Captain, with one change: Victory is the survival of those we defend, not only ourselves.”

That was the lesson Prince Victor offered the clan, the other half of the puzzle he was looking for. Victory was not winning, it was surviving—not just yourself, but those you protected.

“Victory is every day you’ve got cold iron in your hands,” offered Bulldog.

“Cold iron? Gimmie a cold drink instead,” Bor said in a cloud of exhaled smoke. “That and a warm bed, if you nawhadimean?”

“Ay. Men,” seconded Haven, then he clapped Furey on the shoulder. “Speaking of, shouldn’t you go check on the ’Mech?”

Phoebe’s crew would still be working on it. “Perhaps later.”

“Don’t be an idiot, Furey,” Haven advised. “You heard what me’n’Adelaar said. You’re alive, chum, make it count. Take what happiness you can. Cos if you don’t, someone else will.”

“We takin’ about that cute techie?” sniggered Bor. “Been thinking about putting a word in with her myself.” He winked at Furey, taking the sting out of the threat. “You gonna go talk to her or what?”

“I see I will not get a moment’s peace until I do,” sighed Furey, though he was glad for the push. Let him save face with himself: he wasn’t crawling back for forgiveness, he was just taking some friendly advice. He stood, to wolf whistles and cheers, and made his way down the hill, towards the field repair station.

On his way up, Furey passed the wall with the ‘Rescue’ handle. He gave it a spin, waited a second, watching the heavens. “Thought not,” he muttered to himself, and kept walking.

Phoebe was at the foot of the Bushwacker, dressed in a baggy, ill-fitting Hardcase technician’s uniform (if anyone thought it odd that rifleman ‘Maeve Callahan’ had developed technical expertise, they kept quiet about it), holding a data slate and shielding her eyes as she watched two other techs on rickety iron scaffolding up by the side of the torso welding new armor plates into place. A waterfall of firefly sparks came tumbling down the side of the ’Mech to splutter and fizz on the ground.

“How does it look?”

She spun at the sound of his voice, then seemed to remind herself, flattened her expression and turned back to the ’Mech again. “Repurposed some old industrial plating. Won’t be as tough as the original, but at least you won’t have your guts hanging out in the middle of a firefight,” she looked down at the data slate, ticking things off the list. “Gyro’s still wobbly, but that can’t be helped, not without a total overhaul. No replacement for the left-arm launcher, nor ammo for the AC.” She lowered the slate. “And Showers was by, looking for you.” Her look was a challenge.

“Did he say what he wanted?” Furey asked, and saw by her expression that was the wrong thing to say.

“Not like he’d tell a ‘freebirth’ like me.” She lifted the slate again. “That all? Kinda busy here.”

“Phoebe…” He realized he had no idea what to say. “Can we not. Be as we were before?”

“No, we can’t Leto. People change, situations change, things ain’t never gonna be the way they were before. Understanding that is kinda your people’s whole problem, ain’t it? Time’s like a flying arrow: Doesn’t stop or fly backwards. You want things to never change, but you want something new at the same time. But then, I guess you made your choice on that score.”

“Can a man not want two things?”

“Not if one cancels out th’other,” she said, hugging the data slate to her chest. “There’s no room for me in whatever future Showers is planning for you.”

And then he knew what to say. Haven, Adelaar, even Bor, they’d given him the answer. Furey reached out and took her shoulders, feeling her stiffen against him. “What if there was another choice?” He asked. “You told me the past is a prison. Rejecting it is just another kind of prison—only with you locked outside, rather than inside. I don’t want someone else’s choices. I want to make my own. Our own. I want to save my people, not help them kill themselves. I want to fight to preserve. But you’re right. I can’t do that alone. Which is why I need you to help me.”

And she relaxed, and put her head against his chest. “Your contractions are slipping,” she said, muffled against his shirt.

“Your bad influence.”

“You’re too easily tempted.”

“That is an interesting theory. Shall we test it further?”

Phoebe reached up and tapped her index finger against his nose. “Not right now,” she said. “Got a bit of an audience.” She pushed herself out of his arms again, stern expression returning. “All right, you’ve said the right things. Now show me you mean it. Go talk to Showers, see what he wants, and show me you can make the right choice. But you make the wrong one, Leto, and you’ll only wish I’d taken a spring-loaded razor to you earlier.”

“Such violent threats,” he murmured. “Are you sure you are not part-Smoke Jaguar?”

The finger on his nose turned into a mock claw. “Pretty sure. Now va-tan. Before I forget we have an audience.”

Furey found Showers pacing like a caged tiger outside of one of the caverns. The man stopped and looked up as Furey approached. “Well, the stravag are good for passing messages, if nothing else,” he said.

Furey recalled his promise to Phoebe, and suppressed his irritation. He folded his arms across his chest. “What is it you wanted, Star Captain?”

“I have it,” the man said, suddenly bringing his face close to Furey, voice dropping to a whisper. Showers’ eyes, the fanatic gleam, filled with need, filled him with doubt again. What had happened to the man in captivity? Had it broken his sanity? “Or, that is to say, I know where it is, now,” Showers continued.

“Still with mysteries and riddles, Star Captain. Are you sure you are not part Nova Cat?” Furey snapped. “Rumor has it Oriax wants us to return you to him. Can you at least tell me why? Can we you not speak plainly? Found what, Star Captain? My patience on this is well beyond worn out.”

“No, not here, not just yet. They all want it; Oriax, the Marians, your mercenaries. They would take it, if they knew. No, not while there is a risk someone might hear.” Showers winked conspiratorially. “But soon, when the battle comes. My mistake was assuming the tunnel must be in the mountain.”

“Tunnel?”

Showers chewed his lip for a moment, then nodded to himself. “I met another Smoke Jaguar, in the Word of Blake prison,” he began. “He had come here, fleeing the betrayal and catastrophe on Huntress, bearing something. Extraordinary. The heart of our people. Something he hid here on Blantleff. He died before he could tell me where, saying only it was here, in this city.”

“Extraordinary?” Furey echoed.

“A tunnel, he said, a cave. Naturally I assumed he meant in the mountain.” Showers reached out, and gripped Furey’s bicep fiercely. “I will send a signal, in the battle. Come find me. Together, we will rebuild our people. Erase our shame. Have our revenge. All things will be possible. Watch for my signal.”

“What signal?”

“You will know,” Showers chuckled, releasing Furey’s arm. “You will know.” He turned and headed back into the mountain tunnels, leaving Furey in the grey air outside.

Furey watched Showers go until he disappeared into the shadows.

“Loon,” he muttered to himself. Still, it made his choice easier.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #75 on: 22 May 2018, 07:53:17 »
A gene repository?
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #76 on: 22 May 2018, 08:26:06 »
Verrrry nice.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #77 on: 22 May 2018, 16:57:08 »
It's hidden in the warship

Doubt it a "gene repository" unless it a very small one that 1 person could be carrying.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #78 on: 22 May 2018, 21:24:28 »
Any genes would be better than no genes at this point. Especially any of the few Jag exclusive/iconic ones.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #79 on: 23 May 2018, 07:18:48 »
Re all the above, I ain't sayin' nothing. Ceot what it is, is 'extraordinary' to him, not you or me.

Dersidatz
11 May, 3070

Today.

Furey rose with the unseen dawn, beneath a sky heavy and grey with the threat of rain. A quick shower in the industrial plumbing provided by the Marians—sort of a car wash for human bodies. Pulled on a pair of shorts and a short-sleeved shirt, both dark purple, borrowed from the Marians and a touch too tight. A belt next, survival knife on the hip. Knee-high black boots. A bulky cooling vest followed—archaic even by the standards of the Inner Sphere, but the latest technology out here in the Periphery—which settled heavily on his shoulders. His new Python auto-pistol in a shoulder holster, under the left armpit. Furey slid it out, checked the magazine, holstered it again. A pair of purple-black fingerless gauntlets. He tugged them on, flexed his fingers to check the movement.

Furey tucked the neurohelmet—absurdly large—under his arm, and walked out of the cavern, under the glowering skies.

Today, they would come.

The Bushwacker was waiting for him. A silent, jagged mountain of metal and death, old as the bones of this planet. It was an ugly thing, truth be told, piebald from repeat repairs, lower left arm still scarred and broken, but it was his. As a rule, Smoke Jaguars didn’t name their ’Mechs—their machines were tools, not heirlooms—but in this case, Furey would make an exception.

“Xenophon,” he whispered, patting the armor as he climbed up to the cockpit. Xenophon, the Greek chronicler of a march across desolate enemy territory. A survivor, like him. It fit.

Sliding the neurohelmet down onto your head, bringing your ride to life, feeling your senses reach out and inhabit this 10-meter tall machine. There was no feeling like that, nowhere else in the galaxy. The BattleMech filled you just as you filled it, filling your hands with the avenging fires of an angry god, filling your chest with the beating heart of a star, armoring your skin harder than adamantine. To pilot a BattleMech was to become a Titan.

Reactor online. Sensors online. Weapons online. All systems nominal. Still, after all these years, those words still gave Furey a tiny shiver of anticipation. BattleMech feedback systems—‘Bitching Betty’ to many MechWarriors—came in hundreds of different voices, but whatever the accent, it still felt like coming home.

The control panels inside the ’Mech flickered to life: armor schematic and damage report (‘gyroscope’ flashed orange), weapons status (left-arm missile launcher still showed red, right-arm autocannon had a ‘No Ammo’ warning label), map data, HUD with targeting reticle and compass. Furey twisted the torso left and right experimentally, feeling the machine wobble slightly. He sighed. It would have to do.

The battle computer was busy painting red markers across the ferroglass, from one side to the other. Furey quickly gave up counting; looked like Adelaar’s prediction of two-to-one odds had been optimistic. They were still too far away to make out anything more than general unit type and ground speed, but would it really matter?

Inside the neurohelmet, Furey chinned the Hardcase battalion channel. “Furey here, Big Guy is up and running. FO team status?”

“Just do your job, Furey,” replied Major Claymore. “No heroics this time.”

Captain Haven, Sergeant Bor, and a handful of others—Bulldog, Arman, Irons—were hidden in the ship’s hull. Equipped with variable-frequency laser target designators, they would function as forward observers for the 120mm mortar teams higher up on the mountain slopes.

Furey was positioned in the shadow of the ship, ready to either defend the team or pull back and assist the rest of the Hardcases defending the tunnel entrances. Badger APCs had been parked across some of the tunnels, others sandbagged and manned by heavy infantry with gauss rifles. Somewhere up there were the technical crews, too. And Phoebe. Showers, too.

Overhead, the heavy grey clouds rolled across the trackless sky, and rain began to fall. Slowly at first, in fat lazy drops, gradually growing in power and speed, coalescing into a solid curtain.

A whistling tone sounded in his earphones—request for a new comm channel. He punched it up. “Captain,” he said.

Captain Haven’s voice filled his ears. “I’m counting maybe two battalions, plus battle armor, conventional infantry and some Chevalier and Zephyr tanks. Probably use the BA to slip through the Marians and go for the arty.”

“I have a plan, Captain Haven.”

“All ears.”

“As a wise friend once said to me: We don’t let ‘em.”

“Like the way you think, Furey.”

“Thermal and low-light will be useless against their memetic armor,” Furey advised. “Visual scanning, watch for distortions, the rain will help. Drop smoke on natural choke points and watch for their silhouettes. Watch the skies, too; they have a new design with improved jump capability. Shout if anything gets through.” He hoped he wouldn’t have to choose between defending the FO team and defending the tunnels.

“Don’t you worry about that, we got the approaches sown up tighter than the Steiner fist,” replied Haven, full of mock-bravado. “If I’m feeling generous I might leave one or two for you.”

“Too kind,” Furey replied in the same tone, but his attention was drawn to the map display. The Circinians were in motion, closing in on the city in a gigantic semi-circle, squeezing the Marians like a vise.

The Bushwacker battle computer began updating as targets marched into range—there a Nexus, there a Crab, a Shootist. At the back of the formation, a towering Grand Crusader. There was one ’Mech he was looking for, but he didn’t see it. She would be out there, though, he was sure of that.

The wait was agonizing. There was the enemy—every instinct told him to charge, to strike, to kill. Furey tried to calm himself, slow regular breaths, one hand clasped whitely around the other. Mortar rounds, guided by Haven’s team, detonated among the Blakists as they advanced across open ground. They wallowed forward, the ground turning to mud under the pummeling rain and their heavy tread. Then the air was filled with streaks of glowing light, bright yellow tracers, the swirling exhaust of missiles as the two sides came into range. Seven centuries of warfare, and here they were, reduced to slugging it out at point-blank range, like the musket-armed regiments of Wellington and Napoleon.

And all he could do was sit and watch.

“PAs, maybe about two dozen,” Haven called, jolting Furey out of his reverie. “Grid omega two-zero.”

Furey scanned the direction indicated. There, building walls and windows blurred as something moved past them. “I will hold them in place, you bring the rain,” he told Haven, and then stepped the Bushwacker around the end of the crashed spaceship. Before the ’Mech had finished turning the corner, he was already pumping out volleys of long-range missiles, explosions rippling along the ground and across the metal and stone walls.

The Purifier units played dead—went totally still, faded from every instrument.

It didn’t help.

A flight of precision-guided 120mm mortar rounds plunged shrieking through the skies, a herd of killers, drawn like sharks by the flickering blood-red dot of the forward observer’s targeting laser, thundering into the ground at the battle armors’ feet, in front and behind them, into the buildings on either side of them. Blast waves overlapped and rebounded as warheads detonated in furious bursts of orange and black, tearing into the power armor and tossing him into the sky.

Two tottered through the blasts, dazed and burnt, and found themselves looking up at the killer whale profile of a Bushwacker.

Furey thumbed the machinegun trigger, then the nose laser, blasting both survivors into ruin.

His triumph was short-lived. “Furey, more inbound. Grid omega one-niner. Hoppers.”

Flitting among the buildings of Dersidatz came the V-winged armor he’d seen at the prison camp. Red-armored, devilishly fast, nearly impossible to hit. Nearly, but not totally. Furey emptied the last of his missiles into the roof of a building just as two of the suits landed on it, blowing both them and the top of the building to smoking rubble. One landed on the Bushwacker nose, machinegun bullets cracking into the cockpit ferroglass, and Furey swatted it away with the right arm.

“They’re breaking in!” Major Claymore’s panicked voice shouted into Furey’s earphones. “Furey, get your ass back here!”

Furey turned to look back up the mountain slope just in time to see one of the Badger APCs detonate into a ball of flame. In the ruddy-orange light, demonic shapes strode, spewing fire from their hands. Phoebe. Showers. Furey slammed the throttle against the stops, throwing the Bushwacker into a jog, then an earth-shaking run, aware he was shouting incoherently.

Dozens of firefights were raging at the mouths of the tunnels. Badgers spat laser fire as Blakist battle armor swooped and pounced, leaping onto the APC decks and blasting through viewports and ventilation slits.

Furey’s index finger twitch convulsively around the laser trigger, and everywhere a beam landed a Blakist died. When they tried to hide in the tunnels, he hunkered down in front, and filled the tunnel with colossal outbursts of killing light, scouring the tunnels clean of life.

They were swarming him now like angry wasps, crawling all over the BattleMech, firing into the joints and weakened welds in the armor. Furey whirled and swatted, stomped, slammed them down into the ground and burst them apart like watermelons. Rampaging like a rabid animal, heedless of the damage they did, his only thought to kill, and kill, and kill.

“Phoebe! Showers! PHOEBE!” Furey bellowed over the BattleMech speakers.

He was answered, not by Phoebe, but by the hysterical, cackling voice of Major Claymore. “She’s dead, Furey, dead. The technicians are goners, your friend too. We’re dead. We’re all fracking DEAD!” Furey’s ears were shattered by the sound of gunfire over the channel, then it was washed out in static.
« Last Edit: 23 May 2018, 20:08:42 by Dubble_g »

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #80 on: 23 May 2018, 07:21:58 »
Game over man... game over!

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #81 on: 23 May 2018, 16:16:28 »
Don't beleive him go and save her

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #82 on: 24 May 2018, 06:51:20 »
Game over man... game over!
Thank you, Hudson. You are now promoted to Chief Executive Reader (at least until the xenomorphs get you). It was DOC, but he just ain't movin' the eyeballs like he used to.

Don't beleive him go and save her
Wait, I take it back. DOC, you romantic sonovabitch you. You're gonna be the protagonist of my next story.

Furey released the throttle and joystick in shock, letting the Bushwacker shudder to a halt. He stared at the controls, breath whistling through clenched teeth. No. This could not happen. The universe should not allow this to happen. He had come too far, seen too much, fought too hard for it to end like this. He had met Phoebe for a reason, he must have. For what reason? To push him back into even deeper despair? To tease him with hope before it crushed all hope utterly? No. No, no, no. He had been at the bottom of a pit, in a grave he’d dug for himself, and he had only just begun to climb out.

His eyes stared at the controls, seeing only blackness, an infinite abyss, like death beckoning. You see, Furey, my companion, my old friend? Death seemed to say. You thought you could build something, but you are a killer; all there is for you is death, and more death, until your own. This is the Legacy Clan Smoke Jaguar teaches the galaxy: There is no reason, no justice, no fairness, there is only strength, and every weakness will be punished.

“Hardcases, Code Orange, Hardcases, Code Orange,” Principes Adelaar’s voice came through on the emergency channel. “Enemy is breaking through the north flank, heading for your position.”

Furey raised his head again. Very well then. He had dug his grave. Now there was only to accept Death’s invitation, and find his way back to it again. There would be death, more death, and then his own. He was ready. Could they say the same?

“Acknowledged,” replied Furey, voice flat and emotionless, and he swung the Bushwacker around. Already he could see half a dozen Blakist BattleMechs stalking forward through the abandoned city. At the lead was the long-legged, velociraptor profile of a Raijin II.

Perfect. It was perfect. Oh, killing this woman wouldn’t be revenge or a balancing of the scales or anything like that—it would just be another death in a long list of deaths, but it would be a challenge, a way for him to end on a high note, for what that was worth—which was nothing.

The comm system beeped to inform him the Raijin was attempting to open a channel. Furey just smiled. In another time, another life, they might have met in glorious combat as honorable enemies, but this was not then, this was not that life.

Instead, they were here, in the final death-throes of a dying civilization. “Fight,” he said, unsure if he was talking to Achlys or to himself. “Fight with everything you have, every weapon. Might is the only right, and the struggle is all there is.”

In answer to the channel request, he fired.

At close range, the odds were stacked against him—a PPC, three lasers and a 4-shot missile rack against his single laser and pop-gun machineguns. Furey backpedaled, firing the laser as fast as it would cycle, trying to maintain the range, but Achlys’s machine was faster than his. Furey raised the Bushwacker’s useless left arm across the body like a shield, rocking from a particle hit, then again as lasers stitched into it, gouging holes in the weakened armor. Couldn’t keep this up forever.

Options? Charge—that’s what a Smoke Jaguar would do. A last despairing gesture, laughing in the face of death. But why make it easy for her? Fight with every weapon. Furey drove his machine forward, as if to charge, then twisted right, dashing for the cover of a row of metal-and-brick buildings. Particle cannon fire crackled behind him, blowing out one corner of a building, bringing the rest of it down in a sliding avalanche.

He waited for Achlys to appear around the corner, hammered her with a blast of laser fire, then ducked between two buildings as her answering fury was wasted on the space he’d just vacated.

What had Nicholas Kerensky said about the smoke jaguar? The smoke jaguar fights like a true warrior. No deceit, no subterfuge - a single, brutal assault, both open and deadly. But that wasn’t how the Terran jaguar hunted, not at all. The jaguar hunts by stalking and ambushing its prey. Well then, let him play the part of the jaguar this time: Strike from cover, from the blind spot, with one quick pounce.

The Raijin pursued warily, watching for another corner ambush. It followed down the alley between the two buildings, then rounded the corner, both shoulder turrets blazing—but finding only an empty street. Achlys’s ’Mech took a cautious step forward. Then another.

Furey’s Bushwacker burst through the building beside the Raijin, crashing into the side of the BattleMech like a titanic football player, sweeping it off its feet and carrying it straight into the building on the opposite side of the road, which collapsed on both ’Mechs as the supports and pillars gave way with a metallic screaming, tearing noise.

Furey reversed, pulling the Bushwacker out of the wrecked building in landslides of dust and flurries of broken metal fragments. The armor diagram on the cockpit had gone from a concerned yellow to a deeply alarmed red. The left arm elbow and lower arm actuators were shot, the lower left leg flickered from yellow to green back to yellow, and he was thankful he’d fired off all his missiles, as the ammo feed appeared to have taken a direct hit. Still, he was alive. For now.

A brief smile that flickered across Furey’s face was wiped away as the Raijin lurched to its feet, covered from cockpit to feet in white plaster, like an angry ghost. The right-arm PPC was twisted and bent, but the three left-arm lasers blazed with avenging green fire.

The Bushwacker reeled backwards as Furey fought to keep it upright, the damaged gyro struggling to compensate. The Raijin strode forwards and fired again. Armor melted, ran, then gave way before the lasers’ fury. They punched through the industrial plating’s makeshift armor, burrowing into the heart of the Bushwacker, chewing through engine shielding, and blasting the replacement gyro to fragments.

The Bushwacker creaked, groaned, then fell sideways, landing heavily on its left.

Smoke filled the cockpit, throwing Furey into a coughing fit. He fiercely blinked away the tears that streamed into his eyes. “Here we go again,” he grunted. He guessed it was too much to ask that Achlys be as overconfident as Moros had been. Still, he had one card left to play. The Bushwacker couldn’t walk, but the arms still moved.

Perfect. This was perfect—ending the way it had begun.

Furey jerked the right arm autocannon up and pointed it at the Raijin, then fired the laser. The 80mm cannon was empty, of course, but Achlys wouldn’t know that. Sure enough, her combat instincts kicked in, as she dodged her ‘Mech left, close to the building by her side. The laser beam flashed by, missing her, hitting the wall just behind the Raijin.

Down near the bottom of the wall, there was a handle that said, “Rescue: Turn lever.” The Buckwacker’s nose laser carved a line of white-hot fire across the base, just below the lever, the blast of hot air sending it spinning like a top.

A massive sheet of WarShip hull came falling forward, crushing down on top of the Raijin, hammering it into the ground and pinning it in place. With no hands to free it, the legs kicked futilely, struggling to rise. Furey gently shifted the laser crosshairs until they rested over the Raijin’s cockpit.

Just as he pulled the trigger, the cockpit blew open, catapulting Achlys’s command chair into the sky—too high for the laser to track and follow. Furey’s laser burned a hole in the empty carcass instead.

Furey angrily shucked off the neurohelmet, checked the Python autopistol. The hunt would go on.

He released the five-point harness and reached for the manual switch to open the cockpit when the familiar beep of a new channel request sounded insistently. Furey glanced down, then stopped. The channel requested was not a Marian or Hardcase one, nor even a Word of Blake one.

The frequency and code were ones he recognized, though they were ones he had not seen in a long, long time.

It was a Smoke Jaguar code.

And it was coming from inside the wrecked Volga transport.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #83 on: 24 May 2018, 07:01:31 »
The code is looping- LV426... LV426...

zephir

• Recruit
« Reply #84 on: 24 May 2018, 07:53:46 »
This is a wild ride ... thanks!

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
« Reply #85 on: 24 May 2018, 08:32:42 »
Nice

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #86 on: 24 May 2018, 09:26:18 »
Its an older code sir, but it checks out

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 24 May 2018, 13:38:33 »
okay Furey 1st go and kill Achlys then go see what Shower has to share with you and hopefully Phoebe is still alive too...
Wait, I take it back. DOC, you romantic sonovabitch you. You're gonna be the protagonist of my next story.
Well if so here a fun idea for a Charactor I threw together he perfect for the office parties

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: 24 May 2018, 22:17:47 »
Here I am back from the dead.
You calling DOC a romantic, now I am worried.
Just finished binge reading up to date, loving the story. :beer:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #89 on: 24 May 2018, 23:07:32 »
Here I am back from the dead.
You calling DOC a romantic, now I am worried.
Just finished binge reading up to date, loving the story. :beer:
He's ALIIIIIVE! Good to see that name in the thread again my friend.
Normally I post new chapters a little later, but I'll do one now in celebration.

Its an older code sir, but it checks out
I've got a really good feeling about this!

The code is looping- LV426... LV426...
Poor Furey ... should've watched more movies, then he wouldn't go charging off like that.

Inside the Wreck, Dersidatz
11 May, 3070

Captain Frazier Haven wiped the sweat from his eyes with the back of his hand. Ejected the empty magazine from his GZ rifle, slapped in a fresh one—his last.

There were just too damn many of them. They’d been driven from the outer hull by swarms of those devil flying ones, then down, level by level, room by room, until they were here at the bottom, near the nose of the ship. Looked like this room had once been a medical lab—white walls, couple of beds, shattered and broken equipment scattered about the floor. A single, narrow doorway leading out. A dead-end corridor of operating theaters and recovery rooms behind them.

No way out, but through the enemy.

Not many left now. Himself, Sergeant Bor, Irons, Bulldog on the David light gauss, Arman with his shotgun, Tranh slowly bleeding to death from a gut wound, two others. Well, he could think of worse company to die in. Think of plenty better, too, but choosy beggars an all that.

“If anyone’s been hiding ammo up their asses, now’s the time to come clean—so to speak,” Haven said.

“Captain, just wanted you to know—” Bulldog began, then shrugged.

“It’s been an honor?”

“What? Oh hell no,” Bulldog shook his head. “Just wanted you to know I’m sorry for what I put in your khav every morning.”

“Forget it,” Haven said. “Wait. What did you put in my khav?”

Approaching footsteps. Voices.

“Tell me later. Get ready, boys,” Haven said, bringing his rifle up to his shoulder and covering the door. Whoever it was, they were being damned noisy. Their feet were pounding on the deck plates—like they were running full-tilt.

A suicidal charge? Trying to overwhelm them with numbers? But then, battle armor wouldn’t make that sound … Foot infantry?

Bulldog’s gauss rifle whined as it charged. Arman pressed himself against the bulkhead by the door, shotgun ready. Others crouched behind medical machinery, desks or beds as best they could.

The voices were right outside.

“Haven! Haven!”

Captain Haven recognized the voice. “Hold your fire!” he called to his team. Then, just to be sure: “Identify!”

“It’s us, aspez de coshon.”

“Callahan!” Haven exclaimed taking his finger off the trigger and raising the rifle. “Ease up lads. Friendlies.” Then louder, “All clear, Callahan, come on in.”

Phoebe came into the room first, her too-large technician uniform soot-smudged, an assault rifle cradled in her arms, followed by half a dozen techs, some burned, some bleeding, all of them dirty and breathless, and one other figure bringing up the rear.

“Thought you were up in the tunnels,” Haven remarked.

“Tunnels are overrun, Claymore and Hardy are dead,” Phoebe said tersely. “Couldn’t go backward, so we went forward.”

“Furey?”

Phoebe just bit her lip and shook her head.

“He is engaging the enemy, as a warrior should,” said the last figure.

“Good fer him, uh, Showers, isn’t it?” Haven nodded to him, then tossed the man his Nova pistol. “Welcome to the fight. Good news and bad news then. Good news is, we ain’t dead. Bad news it, there’s no way out. Cornered like rats, I’m afraid.”

“Perhaps,” said Showers, moving past Haven without looking at him, a strange light in his eyes. “I will investigate, freebirth.” The man started off down the corridor between medical rooms.

“Hey, get back here and fight!” Haven shouted after him, but Showers ignored him, and kept moving. Soon, his figure was lost in shadow. Haven turned to Phoebe. “Is he always like this?”

Phoebe shrugged and blew a strand of hair away from her face. “Well, he’s s’posed to be a relative of Furey’s or something.”

“Ah. That explains it.”

There was a distant metallic crash from down the corridor, then a kind of hydraulic grinding sound.

“The hell is he doing back there?” Bulldog muttered nervously.

“Blakies are gonna hear that racket and come looking,” Arman chipped in.

“All right, all right, quit whining like a bunch of school girls,” Haven groused. “I’ll take a look, see if I can kick some sense into him. Bor, you’re in charge until I get back.” Haven clicked the GZ rifle to full auto. “Won’t be long.”

Haven clipped a tactical light to the bottom of his assault rifle and flicked it on, then walked down the corridor, gun held to his shoulder. The bobbing light illuminated shattered hospital rooms, beds with their spines snapped in two, wires hanging from the ceiling like loops of intestines, the frayed ribcages of broken shelves and cabinets, shattered monitors leaving the ground frosted with black glass. And there, in the last room, almost at the end of the ship’s abused, crumpled nose, was a black, inky pit where the floor had once been.

Haven edged slowly towards it, peering down.

It was a man-sized hole, leading down, with a bottom that sloped sharply but not dangerously. Distant sounds echoed up from below. Haven narrowed his eyes, glanced back towards the room where the rest of the squad waited. Decided not to risk calling out, in case this Showers guy had sold them out. Better to surprise him.

Haven lowered himself into the hole, crouching down, moving gingerly, one step at a time, watching the tunnel floor for wires or other traps. He felt a cool breeze on his face, fresh but damp air. A hidden exit? He walked more quickly now, sure Showers had abandoned them, run for his life.

The tunnel opened into a massive chamber, dozens of meters across, as many high. There was another tunnel exiting on the opposite side, a huge tunnel, also a dozen meters high, with dim light visible at the end. A way out. But Haven barely noticed, all his attention consumed instead by the thing standing in the center of the chamber. Haven craned his neck up, and up, and up, taking it all in, in all its astonishing glory.

It was … beautiful. Deadly. It was hope. He walked slowly up to the base, marveling at its simple yet clean lines, sensing its potential, the hidden power waiting to be unleashed.

Haven grinned, lowered his rifle, and turned around to go back up the tunnel.

A figure blocked the passage.

“Out the damn way!” shouted Haven. “There’s a BattleMech down here!”

“Yes, I know,” said Showers. There was a snap-hiss of superheated air, and suddenly Haven felt a sharp, burning pain in his abdomen. His legs refused to obey his commands, and folded uselessly under him.

As his vision faded and hearing dulled to echoing white noise, Haven thought he heard Showers speak again. “Yes, Galaxy Commander. I have it. Sending location now.”

And then all was dark, and he heard nothing.