Author Topic: HBS Discussion Thread (No Spoilers!)  (Read 28829 times)

guardiandashi

• Major
Re: HBS Discussion Thread (No Spoilers!)
« Reply #210 on: 18 May 2018, 18:12:21 »
my experience was that the grasshopper (even stock) makes a pretty good spotter its not the fastest thing around, but unless you are in a mission that requires mobility due to time constraints its close enough.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #211 on: 19 May 2018, 04:02:42 »

The Orion I was okay with but immediately shelved it for an assault mech and kept my smaller Thunderbolt. Haven't looked back. Your results may vary.

The Orion can effectively employ 50 LRMs. The Tbolt cannot.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #212 on: 19 May 2018, 04:05:25 »

I am also planning on keeping the Blackjack. I know it's probably silly in a game sense, but the first time I try the final story mission I want my CHR in his ancestral 'mech because it feels like the "right" thing to do in an in-universe sense.

There is a good chance your Blackjack will get obliterated if you try that, unless you have the rest of your lancemates advance and take the pounding that is about to transpire and leave the Blackjack in that one forest that'll give you cover...

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
« Reply #213 on: 19 May 2018, 06:31:25 »
There is a good chance your Blackjack will get obliterated if you try that, unless you have the rest of your lancemates advance and take the pounding that is about to transpire and leave the Blackjack in that one forest that'll give you cover...

I don't expect to succeed unless I get incredibly lucky!
It;s just with all the emphasis BT puts on hereditary 'mechs in the 3025-era, I feel I should at least try it.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #214 on: 20 May 2018, 16:00:06 »
Holy crap, my Grasshopper just put its fist through the head of an untouched Griffon!  :o

And then shot several small lasers into the falling carcass just in case.  ;D
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Androsynth

• Corporal
« Reply #215 on: 21 May 2018, 11:41:12 »
The Orion can effectively employ 50 LRMs. The Tbolt cannot.

You can also throw a PPC, an autocannon, and a large LRM with enough heat syncs to fire everything constantly, even on high heat missions on an Orion, while increasing the armor. I have two Orions and two Thunderbolts on my current squad, and they collectively wreck face. 

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #216 on: 24 May 2018, 07:20:17 »
Good news, there is a mod now that makes the entire IS available!
https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/148?tab=description

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #217 on: 24 May 2018, 18:51:25 »
Wait, all the planets are there but each planet only offers contracts that require travel, rather than ones local to the world?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Sandslice

• Lieutenant
« Reply #218 on: 25 May 2018, 00:59:33 »
Wait, all the planets are there but each planet only offers contracts that require travel, rather than ones local to the world?

That's not the result of Inner Sphere Map itself; it's one of the parent mods, Random Travel Contracts, which forces all generated contracts to be off-world.  ISM simply makes it more extreme by tenfolding (or more?) the number of systems that can be targeted.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #219 on: 25 May 2018, 05:59:00 »
And you can change it by editing a single text number. Change it from 0 to however many local contracts you would like available.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #220 on: 25 May 2018, 06:30:23 »
which json?

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #221 on: 25 May 2018, 11:09:51 »
Speaking of JSONs, I made just a couple of iterative edits that has made my second playthrough pleasantly more difficult.

I changed spotting distance from 300 to 450.
Changed sensor distance from 400 to 750.

I edited down PPC heat from 40 to 33 (still one point higher than TT to account for EMP effects on target)
I edited down LL heat from 30 to 27 (one point higher to account for laser accuracy bonus)

The net effect of the sensor changes has made the early game far more dangerous, because all those light armor lances just hammer you with LRMs and AC fire from about 400 meters. Really cool and tense battles have developed.

The net effect of the heat changes have made the Panther, Vindy, and Griffin more viable in my lances, because they can fire for an additional round or two before needing to cool off. Also, the OPFOR fires more often when they have PPC's and LLs, so more damage is flying around in general.

I've never modded a game before, but I have to say, really enjoying fiddling with BattleTech now that I've played it through once the way the developers intended.

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #222 on: 25 May 2018, 11:42:19 »
You might want to consider going all the way and install this: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/28?tab=description
(you might however also want to consider keeping the missile damage at their vanilla values though since they are already OPed)

HBS really made a mess of weapon balancing just because many beta backers just couldn't wrap their heads around the idea that the AC2 and 5 are SUPPOSED to be craptastic.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2018, 11:54:59 by Phobos »

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #223 on: 25 May 2018, 11:49:11 »
I'm fine with the AC buffs in this game, I think they play out well. If anything, the only other changes I would make would be to nerf AC5 damage by 5 points to put things in line (40 points, 60 points, 100 points) and then reduce the redonculous LRM damage. But I'm accomplishing the LRM change by not using them, so thats easily done anyway!

Louie N

• Lieutenant
« Reply #224 on: 25 May 2018, 12:26:03 »
Hello all,

I completed my play through of the campaign.  I really loved this game. It is one of the best translations to PC of the BT game.

I will be playing the musical score (A+++) for months to come. 

Thanks

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #225 on: 26 May 2018, 02:13:38 »
Finally created a decent banner for my mercenary outfit called "Black Legion" that also fits its "theme", sadly only AFTER finishing the main campaign and being almost 1200 days on it, but better late than never, I guess  ::)

If anyone wants to use it, follow these steps:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletechgame/comments/8emrs2/using_a_custom_mercenary_logo_how_to_guide/
You have to use this inverted version in dds format though.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/o2qyqqcf6zgk6i7/envTxrHrld_157.dds
Easiest way to incorporate it (or any emblem for that matter) would be to rename it to rename it to _156 and replace that useless paradox emblem.
« Last Edit: 26 May 2018, 03:19:31 by Phobos »

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #226 on: 02 June 2018, 12:47:00 »
I'm surprised I haven't seen any mods that enlarge the usable battlefields yet.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #227 on: 02 June 2018, 12:50:28 »
Maybe I haven't played enough, but I haven't felt constrained by any of the maps yet...

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #228 on: 02 June 2018, 13:02:18 »
Maybe I haven't played enough, but I haven't felt constrained by any of the maps yet...
there have been a couple, that felt rather small/cramped but they were usually campaign maps

to be honest, the thing that has bothered me more than the map size in general, was the limited sight/view distances, and the fact that you have no way to deploy more than 4 mechs to the battle field, when the enemies almost always seem to have a minimum of 6-8 units

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #229 on: 02 June 2018, 14:40:31 »
I like flanking wide and could also do without incoming enemy reinforcements that are already right on top of me.  They're not reinforcements if they're already there.

Always attacking the same base again on a map would be less repetitive if I didn't always assault from the same angle too.   Hell, I've attacked bases and convoys from the south so many times you'd think the enemy would be more prepared for it.  May change our name to the Southern Raiders.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #230 on: 03 June 2018, 10:07:35 »
Why are ACs so nerfed in this game? 10/20 shots for AC-10/AC-5 was really low(for AC-10), but they made it 8/15 shots for the heavy guns

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #231 on: 03 June 2018, 10:43:53 »
Why are ACs so nerfed in this game? 10/20 shots for AC-10/AC-5 was really low(for AC-10), but they made it 8/15 shots for the heavy guns
They aren't nerfed anywhere except for the ammo bins. In fact, AC/2s, AC/5s, and AC/10s do a LOT more damage than they do on tabletop.

Could be a way to balance it, but let's be honest, you'll likely find it rather hard to burn through 1 ton of ammo per AC short of the 10s and 20s in an engagement.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #232 on: 03 June 2018, 11:11:56 »
They not only do more damage, but they do stability damage too.   Also the fights are shot enough , that even with the nerfed ammo capacity, you'll still find it easy to manage.

My favorite thing with AC's right now is to replace AC10s with AC5+'s that have +5 damage.  Almost the same damage at far less tonnage and that's before you factor in ammo. Added bonus of extra range! :thumbsup:

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #233 on: 03 June 2018, 11:23:11 »
The stability thing is big for Autocannon balance.  Lasers are still more efficient for dealing damage, but they do jack crack for stability damage.  And late game (esp post-storyline) you don't win sustainably without scoring knockdowns.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #234 on: 03 June 2018, 12:37:47 »
They not only do more damage, but they do stability damage too.   Also the fights are shot enough , that even with the nerfed ammo capacity, you'll still find it easy to manage.

I found the Enforcer was a bit too light on ammo, with only 8 rounds for the AC/10 and very little in the way of backup firepower.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Phobos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #235 on: 03 June 2018, 14:04:53 »

ACs NERFED??? You must be playing a different game.
PPCs and LLs are the ones that got heavily nerfed while AC 2, 5 and 10 very ridiculously improved over what they should be.

Luckily there is that CBT value mod that adjusts all those ludiicrous values back to what they were supposed to be.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2018, 14:06:24 by Phobos »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #236 on: 03 June 2018, 15:00:08 »
Does that mod tone down physicals too?

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #237 on: 03 June 2018, 19:10:44 »
The lower class ACs were buffed damage-wise and ammo was reduced to compensate. Divide the damage by 5 and that's the corresponding tt damage.

ArkRoyalRavager

• Major
  • Ravaging the enemies of House Davion
« Reply #238 on: 04 June 2018, 01:56:42 »
They just seem so heavy compared to LRMs and there is that recoil problem. 8 shots for the AC-10 is too low even for short missions.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #239 on: 04 June 2018, 02:05:15 »
You can change that tinkering with the json files.  Sure mechs with the ACs are back to having ammo bombs, but it's worth it. 

They just seem so heavy compared to LRMs and there is that recoil problem. 8 shots for the AC-10 is too low even for short missions.