Author Topic: Liam's Ghost Gallery! Spookily inept painting!  (Read 10245 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Liam's Ghost Gallery! Spookily inept painting!
« on: 31 March 2019, 00:16:01 »
I painted this thug years ago. And to this day, I don't know how.

I mean I know how I did it. It's a white drybrush over a black undercoat. What I mean is that I don't know how I made it look this good. Was it the paint? Was it the brush? Did I accidentally trap a fairy that day and get blessed with skills I didn't actually have? I don't know. All I know that I've been painting a lot since then, and I've never managed to pull this off again.

Aside from re-attaching the arm (twice) and adding flock to the base, I haven't touched this mini in years. I'm afraid to.

Also flanked by two marauder battlesuits. Just because.

(now that I have actual not-terrible pictures of a lot of my other work, maybe I'll post them to this thread...)
« Last Edit: 06 April 2019, 20:13:53 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Borrowed a better camera...
« Reply #1 on: 31 March 2019, 00:26:45 »
And it does look very nice.

You've touched on one of my bugbears - reproducability. Okay, I'm weird rarely doing less than 36 minis in the same paintjob, but yes some days the painting gods look down, and poke your elbow the right way, and you spend years trying to figure out why that mini looks so much better than the others.

To some extent it's the mini. The Thug has excellent details, and repays efforts. There are others - the Lao Hu and Hunchback spring to mind. It's hard to paint them badly (not impossible though!), because of the high level of relief and details on the min. Others - reseen Grand Crusader stands mute testimony - which are flat, curved, and lacking in the same level of detail.

So ready to do a Level III now?  :thumbsup:

W :wheelchair:
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 31 March 2019, 00:36:07 »
So ready to do a Level III now?  :thumbsup:

I actually have painted up an entire combined arms level III, some of which doesn't look completely terrible, but the difference between those guys and this thug are staggering. I'm thinking of stripping most of them and doing them over. Maybe doing a portion of them in Manei Domini colors.

Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 31 March 2019, 01:00:44 »
Which is why reproducability is something I often sort out with a few proof-of-concepts before committing to the big'un.

One thing to consider - what I humbly nickname "Worktroll White".

1) Base black
2) Drybrush white
3) Go back over the lines with an 0.5mm Uniball pen - it's not a micron pen, it's a ball tip, and doesn't bend/clog like the microns do. Don't worry if you overspill, because
4) Drybrush white another time or two.
5) Cover metallic areas in black
6) Drybrush metallic
7) Cockpit, etc.

Small example - my Spitfire.

It's dependant on the mini, though, to have some details on it. If the drybrushing doesn't obscure the base, then don't overwrite it. A thought.

W.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2019, 04:57:38 »
Which is why reproducability is something I often sort out with a few proof-of-concepts before committing to the big'un.

One thing to consider - what I humbly nickname "Worktroll White".

1) Base black
2) Drybrush white
3) Go back over the lines with an 0.5mm Uniball pen - it's not a micron pen, it's a ball tip, and doesn't bend/clog like the microns do. Don't worry if you overspill, because
4) Drybrush white another time or two.
5) Cover metallic areas in black
6) Drybrush metallic
7) Cockpit, etc.

Small example - my Spitfire.

It's dependant on the mini, though, to have some details on it. If the drybrushing doesn't obscure the base, then don't overwrite it. A thought.

W.

Does look nice mate, but I could never bring myself to use a pen on my minis, I just used a 000 brush and thin black paint.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #5 on: 31 March 2019, 04:58:36 »
Very nice Liam!  And a much better camera to boot...  :thumbsup:

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 31 March 2019, 16:17:39 »
 :thumbsup:

Valkerie

• Captain
  • Gravity always wins.
« Reply #7 on: 31 March 2019, 21:23:37 »
That is a very nice piece of white painting. :thumbsup: 8)  The new camera does it justice.
There is no avoiding war; it can only be postponed to the advantage of others.   -Machiavelli

Greetings, Mechwarrior!  You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against...Oops, wrong universe.  -unknown SLDF Recruiter

Because overkill is underrated my friend.  -John "Hannibal" Smith

Unit/Scheme of the Month Master Index

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2019, 23:13:13 »
Those Marauders are seriously HUGE for BA, lol.

Nice white painting, so much better than my CS attempts so far.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2019, 01:10:23 »
So a question for the "What you see is what you get" crowd. If a playing piece has a tree on it, does that mean the unit gets cover from light woods?  :D

Today's (semi)completed project, the Broughton Falls Militia, a force dedicated to the defense of the Broughton Falls community on Sheratan following the Marik-Liao invasion. Though a small community of only about five thousand people, Broughton Falls has always been fairly well off due to their groves of Yalie (pronounced "Thalie") trees and their highly prized fruit.

The militia actually has its origins with a municipal pest control service, as widespread cultivation of the Yalie tree after the Fourth Succession war triggered a corresponding boom in the population of the Broughton Giant Hornet, a hand-sized stinging insect which fed on the fallen fruit and represented a significant threat to farmers at the time. To keep hornet populations in check, pest control officers relied on surplus military grade hardware to destroy nests, coordinate operations, and keep themselves safe from the occasional hornet swarm. This authorization to obtain and operate military hardware was particularly broad, and once central authority started breaking down in the Sarna March, the community of Broughton Falls chose to abuse it unabashedly to secure additional arms and equipment for their own defense.

(The militia's sole battlemech is something of an exception. It is actually registered as the pilot (and militia commander's)  personal transport vehicle)

Since its formation as an active military force, the Broughton Falls militia fended off numerous aggressors, particularly the Free Republic Revolutionaries and the Bryant Raiders. They would ultimately be overrun by the Word of Blake during the Jihad, though members of the militia continued to fight as guerrillas up to the world's liberation.   

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 04 April 2019, 03:17:07 »
Are we going to see those guys down in Non-Canon Units? Please? :)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 06 April 2019, 20:11:48 »
Jade Falcon Delta Galaxy Beak Star (or a Talon star? Hard to say where they cutoff would be).  Still needs some touching up, all the more apparent with a decent camera. (IT looks so much cleaner in person!)

I found a couple of the old Ral Partha sets at the local store, and combined another Hellbringer (the guy in the front row center, actually the first metal miniature I ever owned) with the heavy omnimech set. The Star setup is also one of the first "real" clan stars I ever set up, back when I first got TRO 3050, and I'd always wanted to do it up in miniature form, but for various reasons didn't have the right minis until recently. So, you know, multiple waves of nostalgia here.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 06 April 2019, 20:12:15 »
Are we going to see those guys down in Non-Canon Units? Please? :)

Maybe? I'm not very good with promises.  ;D

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Re: Liam's Ghost Gallery! Spookily inept painting!
« Reply #13 on: 06 April 2019, 20:38:26 »
"Maybe" beats a "no", so I'll take it!  :thumbsup:

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 06 April 2019, 21:59:08 »
i was kind of expecting a few industrial mechs with sprayers for the wasp issues

as to the thug pic, back when i was painting i would refer to a white job like that
as a damp brush, not using normal loads but dry enough to leave dark spots underneath,
not sure if its still out there but i used a cheap ceramcoat drizzle grey for a lot
of things, it was opaque enough to cover any dark spots or mistakes but light enough that colors like yellow could be painted right over it
sometimes i would drybrush with it, wash it/ink it, drybrush again then a light wash of the brightest color being used
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 07 April 2019, 14:39:21 »
i was kind of expecting a few industrial mechs with sprayers for the wasp issues

Wheeled APCs refitted with vehicle flamers, infantry with flamers/sprayers and modified combat armor, and swift wind scout cars to coordinate operations. Cheaper, and they could get most of that from leftover Home Guard supplies. They also used a local animal that had evolved to be resistant to hornet bites for extra transportation.   

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 08 April 2019, 01:27:16 »
Another picture of my Jade Falcon star, with the camera set properly so they actually look more like what you see with the naked eye.

Also, some older pieces I did, freshly based. They certainly aren't my best work, but they're some of my favorites.

From left to right we have:
*A pirate lord's personal frankenmech. There's bits of Atlas, Ostol, Viking, and Archangel in there, plus some plastic dark age bits to fill it out.
*A rogue Taurian Marshal. That cockpit glass is surprisingly not as nightmarish as you'd expect. The windows are nice and deep, so you can basically wash the chosen glass color, then drybrush over the frame with another and it ends up looking nice.
*The dreaded Magus Nigrum, which has been prowling the fringes since the early Clan Invasion. Nobody knows why he wears a hat
*Skeletor, overlord of Evil
*Another frankenmech, piloted by a schizophrenic freelance mercenary/bounty hunter. 

The elemental star in front of them is a bit more recent, but hey, they were there.

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 08 April 2019, 05:09:27 »
Sweet! :thumbsup:

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 11 April 2019, 02:21:16 »
Smoke Jaguar Omega Galaxy, the "Trap" Star.

Notable for its heavy use of the rare Great Wyrm and its signature tactics, "Trap" star specializes in giving its solahma warriors a good death in the most spiteful way possible. When facing an opponent, standard tactics for the star have the Great Wyrms engaging first, picking away at opponents with their light autocannons, but refusing to close in on their own, hoping to either draw their enemies to them, or wear them down to defeat using infinite patience and the weakest show of force available.

Most opponents will oblige the star and close in to deal with the annoying pests, only to encounter the waiting embrace of the star's Hunchbacks. Against honorable opponents, Zelbriggen is studiously observed. The hunchbacks will not engage until the great wyrms have fallen, they will simply linger, closely, well within range, waiting for a free opponent, which they are often almost immediately able to destroy with a sudden barrage.

Bandits and spheroids receive no such courtesy and are engaged as soon as they have been drawn into firing range.

The Star's composition has varied through the years, but always contains at least one Great Wyrm and multiple Hunchbacks. Those most deserving of a warrior's death are generally assigned to the Great Wyrms, as the star's tactics dictate that these mechs will likely be the first to fall. Those who have a chance of redeeming themselves are assigned to the Hunchbacks, as these mechs are most likely to actually gain honor by killing their foes.

Since 3053, command of the Trap Star has been in the hands of Star Captain Lionel Nevversan. A rare mechwarrior from the Nevversan line, his fall from grace came during the Smoke Jaguar's defeat at Tukayyid, where he had the audacity of surviving his clan's defeat. Already confronted with talk about the failures of his sibko (only one other member survived to become a warrior, and he was captured on Luthien) and pushing thirty even before the invasion began, his path to Solahma was a quick one. He accepted his fate gracefully, content to simply wait for a foe that can finally kill him.

I came up with this star setup almost two years ago due to discussion in the Mech of the Week thread for the Great Wyrm. I had the minis for it for just as long, but... once again, I only recently got the workspace.

This is my first attempt at the Smoke Jaguar Omega Galaxy scheme. It was a little bit of a learning experience. I feel like I could have executed the spotting better using a toothpick exclusively. The bases are a... passable? rendition of glacier ice, but far from perfect. I may have to attempt both again.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 15 April 2019, 21:04:42 »
Company from an as yet unnamed mercenary regiment.

Firmly middle of the road in standing, and an easy home for misfits, screwups and people with a past they'd prefer to forget. The regiment has enjoyed a long history dating back to the third succession war, despite having none of the perks, wealth, or name recognition of more storied formations. One of the keys to their success is their leadership's insistence on building up a solid base of friends in the mercenary community, often hiring smaller units (called part timers) to supplement their own strength and maintaining a good working relationship with both clients and others in the mercenary trade.

The regiment specializes primarily in small unit operations, and is frequently deployed in small battlegroups (usually a core mech company plus attachments) on multiple worlds at once, which made them ideal for the sort of raiding operations common during the third succession war, or patrolling the vast periphery frontiers of a successor state. The regimental paint scheme dictates only a flat grey base coat, with the number and type of accents left up to individual warriors. Some mechs will show little to no additional paint, some will pick accents that reflect their history, and some will descend directly into the ostentatious. If there is any unity in the unit scheme it is that a few warriors, fully acknowledging their own spotty pasts, will adopt a weathered look for their official schemes, giving the appearance of age and hard use.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2019, 21:08:02 by Liam's Ghost »

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2019, 09:08:05 »
I like them! What are you flocking the bases with?

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2019, 15:52:16 »
Most of it is craft sand, super glue, and paint. I've also got a few packets of Woodland Scenics stuff. The grassy parts are their grass flock with a small amount of very fine gravel mixed it. The snow under the Longbow's feet is just their regular snow flock (which isn't very good I think, at least not for this).

I also found a great big bag of black, much coarser floral sand somewhere, which is what I used on the Flea's base (I also used it for my Kobe Militia unit).

I'm still experimenting with glue options. I've had my best results with liquid super glue. 

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2019, 15:58:51 »
Company from an as yet unnamed mercenary regiment.

Firmly middle of the road in standing, and an easy home for misfits, screwups and people with a past they'd prefer to forget. The regiment has enjoyed a long history dating back to the third succession war, despite having none of the perks, wealth, or name recognition of more storied formations.
One of the keys to their success is their leadership's insistence on building up a solid base of friends in the mercenary community, often hiring smaller units (called part timers) to supplement their own strength and maintaining a good working relationships

hmm, been reading Pournelle? a touch of Falkenbergs legion here?

I have always wanted to use them as a start for a BT unit
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 19 April 2019, 17:01:17 »
Another work in progress. I was planning on finishing it today, but my shaking hands said take a break and eat real food.

Inspired by Neonknight's Pink Menace, though obviously executed with cheaper paints, less skill, and more bling.

To do: pink up the pink parts some more, touch up the other parts, flock the base, start on his lancemates (the Senshi no Shakuyaku, Peony Warriors).

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 20 April 2019, 23:58:48 »
The Peony Warriors in all their finalized glory. I did some things good, some bad, some stretched the limits of the materials and my skills. I think I may try this scheme again at some point. Maybe I'll give them some conventional support.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #25 on: 21 April 2019, 05:14:28 »
The picture's a bit dark, but mirror imaging the Dragons was a stroke of genius!  :thumbsup:

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 21 April 2019, 20:15:47 »
The picture's a bit dark, but mirror imaging the Dragons was a stroke of genius!  :thumbsup:

I'll try moving the light to get a better picture the next time I take some. My next set of minis looks to be an assortment.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #27 on: 23 April 2019, 22:28:56 »
We have an assault weight assortment this time.

First, we have the command lance of the Finmark Raiders. Unlike the rest of his force, Malcom Reagan's command lance runs heavy, and he's quite proud of it and his personal Timber Wolf, which he claimed during his brief time on the clan frontier.

Next up, a few oddballs. From left to right we have:
*A Banshee 3Q piloted by Mechwarrior Frank Hellerman. An elite warrior and close combat specialist, Frank is also a drifter, having worked for many different mercenary groups over the years, but never staying in one place for long. This might not be entirely by choice, as his preferred tactic, bursting through walls to catch his enemy by surprise tends to cause a lot of property damage.
*A Zeus piloted by Leutnant Megan Cleary of the Skye Rangers. She earned the right to use her mech's custom paint scheme for heroism on the battlefield, and she insists the particular scheme in question gives her an edge against Combine mechwarriors, causing them confusion and disorientation.
*A Charger from the 19th Galedon Regulars. I don't really have anything for this.
*An Awesome 9Q. Don't really have anything for this either, except to say I only really made this mod so I could make another one.
*The other awesome, known by its pilot Keelan Macgonnal Ueda as "The bat". This one wasn't actually completely dry at the time of photographing, but close enough.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 23 April 2019, 22:30:02 »
A slightly better look at the two awesomes, and a slightly better picture of my Peony Warriors.

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #29 on: 23 April 2019, 22:40:03 »
i don't know why you titled the thread like this- the minis are painted with character and color, and stand out as a unified force. that' pretty good in my book.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Register