Author Topic: (Research) DropShips within repair bays when jumping  (Read 3979 times)

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
(Research) DropShips within repair bays when jumping
« on: 30 November 2018, 10:06:57 »
This is somewhat related to this thread.

Sufficiently large repair bays can hold up to two DropShips within them. The repairing ship is unable to move safely with units inside(unless it's a reinforced bay), but there seem to be no rules limiting a ship's ability to jump safely with units inside a repair bay. Repair bays are also much cheaper than DropShip collars in most cases, and for smaller DropShips they'll also be lighter, so if you're willing to take a bit of extra time to "dock" and "un-dock" the DropShips, this seems greatly advantageous.

Would it be possible to add a repair bay to a ship, put 1-2 DropShips inside, and jump safely to another system? If so, is there any relevant limit on the number of repair bays you could add to the ship(aside from tonnage and the limit on doors)?
« Last Edit: 19 May 2020, 13:51:06 by Hammer »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: DropShips within repair bays when jumping
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2018, 12:40:03 »
This and anything related is the singlemost contentious issue in the history of the rules team.

I've got some three dozen pages of closed rules issues, and out of them all this (and its related spinoffs) is the only one we've never been able to solve.  We have never been able to settle on an answer that is consistent with the in-universe fluff, not full of handwavium, and doesn't break the universe.

As such, I'll leave this open, and will certainly try to revisit the topic as a whole at some point, but for now I'd say don't hold your breath.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Alsadius

• Lieutenant
Re: DropShips within repair bays when jumping
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2018, 15:29:35 »
Heh, fair enough. It's one I've grappled with in a game I'm GMing down in Fan Rules, which is why I ask.

This isn't quite in the spirit of the rules questions sub-forum, but if you don't have an answer, then I have a few possibilities to consider for any future errata/expansions:

- Securing for jump is an onerous process, and adds hours/days to your jump time. This basically eliminates them being used in command circuits, nerfs them badly if using pirate points, and makes units that attempt this substantially less economical when used in commercial contexts. (Perhaps you can expedite this, but you run the risk of ramming damage, just like if you thrust with stuff in the repair bay). This is more or less the answer I've used in my game.

- Make bays use the same cap as mass drivers(one per WarShip, one per facing on stations, none on JumpShips), and that'll limit the effect dramatically. A Newgrange only has one bay, and I can't think of any other canon ships with any, so I don't think this would void any canon designs. This also helps the fluff of the WoBS Erinyes - if the cap is the same because of the ridiculous bulk of both systems, then swapping a repair bay for a mass driver makes a lot of sense on the part of the Wobbies. A hard cap of two cheap "DropShip collars", which are available only on a full WarShip, means that the rule will have very little effect on the setting.

- A softer version of the above can be done with door limits. They're a bit handwavey as-is, but they're an established rule you can piggyback on. If even a huge ship can only mount a couple dozen doors, then say that each repair bay door counts as 4-6 of them.

- This may be too big a change to do within StratOps, but changing the cost calculations would help a ton here. Collars are expensive and small bays are cheap, which is the only reason this is an issue. I know that keeping collars rare is fairly important to the setting, but this can probably be improved even so. For example, DropShuttle bays increase your K-F drive cost even worse than DropShip collars do. Presumably that's because of "jump harmonics" or some such - if you don't build your KF drive to take that into account, bad things happen. A repair bay that carries DropShips looks a whole lot like a DropShuttle bay to me, and could be under the same rules. (This requires a pretty good explanation for why DropShuttle bays work that way, though, because otherwise it's moving a handwave from a tech nobody cares about to a tech that's pretty important).

I think #2(or #1 combined with #2) is your best bet here - the fact that it explains the Erinyes so perfectly makes it fit the setting surprisingly well, and I think it's canon-compatible.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2018, 21:26:52 by Alsadius »

Register