Author Topic: Need a proper Dark Mode  (Read 1372 times)

Broken_Metal_Dreaming

• Private
Need a proper Dark Mode
« on: 22 July 2023, 14:16:52 »
I find dark modes (dark background with white/light grey text) easier on my eyes, but with the forum update the old dark mode went away. Would appreciate some method of restoring that function at some point.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
Re: Need a proper Dark Mode
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2023, 22:23:36 »
Yes!!!

Please ?!?!

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

deathshadow

• Lieutenant
  • Special Tasks Group
    • Cut Code Down - Minimalist Semantic Markup
« Reply #2 on: 17 November 2023, 09:38:03 »
THIS!

Or even just fix this one given that the combination of the orange with white violates accessibility norms! Never would have flown back in my day of running this place.

But then Catalyst has always had a problem with legible colour contrasts, just look at the near invisible olive of their company logo used on a black background. Or how my observations of same along with the "logo" from the early years of the Cat rebrand (as opposed to the current BRILLIANT one!) where it didn't fit the boxes and looked slapped on any old way, and didn't integrate well to any media be it print or the web.

I almost half expect bad colour choices given the history of bad branding. And why the current branding on the products has me thinking about the product again after the years of "meh".

They're just lucky they're not the places I've worked for the past decade, where these types of failings in design can land you in court for violating laws like the US' ADA, UK's EQA, the plethora of Canadian laws, and so forth. Same goes for how much of the current template is in pixel metrics, sending users diving for the zoom.

Though to be fair that's me nitpicking after years of dealing with artists under the DELUSION they know what design is. Most of the people calling themselves "web designers" wouldn't know design from a hole in the ground.

Though a handy workaround until they do something about the forum skins, is the browser plugin "dark reader". They don't want to give us a dark mode, force the issue.

https://darkreader.org

If I have time I might make a custom stylesheet for stylus that people can use directly, that the folks here could use to make skins for SMF. I was a little shocked to go in and see no template options in the user preferences... should at LEAST enable the ability to go back to the system default.

Not that I know anything about managing SMF driven forums. :D
« Last Edit: 17 November 2023, 09:43:11 by deathshadow »
Death will take those who fight alone.
But united we can break a fate once set in stone.

CUTCODEDOWN.COM

Broken_Metal_Dreaming

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2024, 17:56:06 »
Republic of the sphere dark mode is up again in the modify profile look and layout section under theme again. Down at the bottom. Thanks  devs!
« Last Edit: 12 January 2024, 17:58:03 by Broken_Metal_Dreaming »

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2024, 23:19:40 »
I don't see it.

EDIT: Because it wasn't at the bottom of the look and layout page, but at the top where it shows current theme and has a change link.

:rolleyes: :shocked: :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: 12 January 2024, 23:24:03 by Brother Jim »

Broken_Metal_Dreaming

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 13 January 2024, 00:31:34 »
Yeah sorry I meant that is at the bottom of the themes. You are right that the change theme button is at the top of the look and layout section and you have to hit that first.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2024, 09:14:20 »
I use the Dark Mode Reader.  Its how I always read the forums, it's background has always been too bright for me.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register