Author Topic: NFL 2017-2018, all the teams move to L.A. edition  (Read 72836 times)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: NFL 2017-2018, all the teams move to L.A. edition
« Reply #90 on: 04 August 2017, 09:54:33 »
Well, on the plus side the Cowboys won last night so I don't have to hear the moanings of terrified fans predicting dooooom because they don't have a preseason win. I'm sure there will other mountains made of molehills but at least it won't be that one.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #91 on: 20 August 2017, 21:38:13 »
NFC West-Seattle.  Mostly because it has to be someone
NFC North-Vikings.  Packers just seem to be having too many issues and everyone else is questionable at best
NFC South-Tampa.  This one is a toss up but again it has to be someone
NFC East-Dallas.  Dak has shown he is something they can work with and they can protect him and protect their leads

Wild cards-Philidelphia and Green Bay

AFC West-Kansas City.  Denver still hasn't sorted out all their issues, Chargers are going to be a train wreck having moved to a new city, and Oakland is going to be too busy trying to get moved out of Oakland to do anything else
AFC North-Pittsburg.  Bungles might challenge for it but fall short.
AFC South-Indianapolis.  Another toss up that is more going to be decided by someone has to than anyone being good enough to actually deserve it
AFC East-New England.  I mean really why even pretend anyone else is going to even come close.

Wild cards-Miami and Denver

Super Bowl-New England over Dallas and me rooting for a meteor to come down and put me out of my misery.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2017, 22:50:46 by monbvol »

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #92 on: 21 August 2017, 11:40:04 »
Guys I think Pat Mahomes might be good at football.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #93 on: 21 August 2017, 20:32:48 »
Further signs of the apocalypse...

...the Browns are leading. won.

Can we get a status check on the other Seals, please?
« Last Edit: 21 August 2017, 22:00:50 by ANS Kamas P81 »
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #94 on: 21 August 2017, 23:09:05 »
The Browns can win games, especially pre-season games.

So no need to proclaim the end is nigh just yet.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #95 on: 22 August 2017, 08:19:24 »
Never forget that the Detroit Lions were 4-0 in the preseason prior to their 0-16 year.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #96 on: 22 August 2017, 09:05:05 »
What'll be scary is if they claim the AFC North.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #97 on: 22 August 2017, 09:46:42 »
What'll be scary is if they claim the AFC North.

The Lions? I can't think of a reason why not. The Packers are probably a better team, but not enough that it would be a jaw-dropper if Detroit overtook them. The Vikings are still kind of a question mark in a few places (not the least of which is QB, for now), and the Bears are just wreckage at the moment. So... I don't think the Lions will win the North, but I also won't be shocked if they actually do. Really, other than the Patriots, I don't see any team that just stands so far above their division that they're a shoe-in for the division title at this point- and only a handful of teams, maybe half a dozen or so, that I'd discount from having a chance at a wild-card spot at this point (Browns, Bills, Chargers, Jets, etc.). Call it on average three teams in each division, give or take, have a decent shot here.

Welcome to parity- it's as dull as oatmeal, but it means everyone has a chance I guess.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #98 on: 22 August 2017, 10:45:20 »
I'd rather have parity than crowning the AFC East division champion Patriots by Week 3, honestly.  That division is going to be godawful this year.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #99 on: 22 August 2017, 10:54:31 »
I'd rather have parity than crowning the AFC East division champion Patriots by Week 3, honestly.  That division is going to be godawful this year.

It is EVERY year. I was discussing this with Redshirt a while back, but other than the year Brady missed the entire season (and even then they went 10-6!), has there been a year since Brady's first full season with the team that they haven't won the division? I feel like there may have been one where the Jets stole it during the Sanchez/Ryan years, but otehr than MAYBE that it feels like that division is just the Patriots' feeding ground- 5-6 easy wins a year to pad them on the way to a first-round bye, in a way that no other team has been able to claim for more than a couple of years at a time.

You look around and see a long bit of dominance by the Colts, the Broncos, the Packers, but a nearly two-decade run like what the Patriots have had is, to me, as much an indictment of the poor management of the other three as it is a testament to the excellence of the Brady/Belichick system. Other great teams over the years have had rivals to challenge them (Seattle/San Francisco, for example), but to consistently see the Patriots dominate their division like this means not only is that team as good as it is, but the other three really have to have spent a lot of time screwing this up. They aren't always TERRIBLE- the Dolphins have had a few decent years, the Jets had the first few Sanchez years, even Buffalo has looked halfway decent at times, but... here we are.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #100 on: 22 August 2017, 11:21:45 »
The AFC Eastsucks and the AFC West is gonna be a meat grinder this year with three teams with real playoff chances and the Chargers who are still looking to give Rivers one last chance at glory.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #101 on: 22 August 2017, 12:00:02 »
I have serious doubts about the Broncos' defense being able to bail Siemien and that offense out for a full 16 games, but if they make any progress at all on that front they're definitely WC contenders.

Raiders and Chiefs should have a good fight for it this year, but I think Chiefs will be easy favorites next year barring a monumental collapse.

Catalyst Demo Agent #679

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #102 on: 22 August 2017, 13:06:42 »
Yeah, I pencil Denver as third in the West this year, barring something weird happening. I'll take the Raiders to win it, with the Chiefs in a dogfight to the end and getting a wild card spot.

In fact...

AFC:

West: Oakland
North: Pittsburgh
East: GEE I ****** WONDER...
South: (quick Hellbie, pick someone at random) ...Tennessee?
Wild Cards: Kansas City, Baltimore

NFC:

West: Seattle
North: Green Bay
East: Washington (UPSET SPECIAL)
South: (again, pick at random) Atlanta
Wild Cards: Dallas, Carolina

+Crow T. Robot+

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #103 on: 22 August 2017, 18:23:57 »
The Lions? I can't think of a reason why not. The Packers are probably a better team, but not enough that it would be a jaw-dropper if Detroit overtook them. The Vikings are still kind of a question mark in a few places (not the least of which is QB, for now), and the Bears are just wreckage at the moment. So... I don't think the Lions will win the North, but I also won't be shocked if they actually do. Really, other than the Patriots, I don't see any team that just stands so far above their division that they're a shoe-in for the division title at this point- and only a handful of teams, maybe half a dozen or so, that I'd discount from having a chance at a wild-card spot at this point (Browns, Bills, Chargers, Jets, etc.). Call it on average three teams in each division, give or take, have a decent shot here.

Welcome to parity- it's as dull as oatmeal, but it means everyone has a chance I guess.

I meant I'd be scared if the Browns took the AFC North.

Lions taking NFC North, yeah I wouldn't be scared.  That can happen without signaling the end times.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #104 on: 22 August 2017, 21:16:41 »
Never forget that the Detroit Lions were 4-0 in the preseason prior to their 0-16 year.
I was going to say the same thing.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #105 on: 22 August 2017, 21:19:38 »
Yeah, I pencil Denver as third in the West this year, barring something weird happening. I'll take the Raiders to win it, with the Chiefs in a dogfight to the end and getting a wild card spot.

In fact...

AFC:

West: Oakland
North: Pittsburgh
East: GEE I ****** WONDER...
South: (quick Hellbie, pick someone at random) ...Tennessee?
Wild Cards: Kansas City, Baltimore

NFC:

West: Seattle
North: Green Bay
East: Washington (UPSET SPECIAL)
South: (again, pick at random) Atlanta
Wild Cards: Dallas, Carolina

After the Preseason so far, I think my predictions will end up being:

AFC:

North: Ravens.  Despite Pittsburgh winning the division last year, I can't forget that they didn't beat the Chiefs so much as the Chiefs let themselves lose that game.  I haven't seen a lot of improvement from that team this year, but the Ravens look better than before.
East: Patriots.  Yawn.  More interesting prediction: Bills for last in the division.
West: Chiefs.  The offense looks improved in all phases this year so far.  The Raiders have to beat the Chiefs to win the division, and that hasn't happened in a while.
South: Titans, by virtue of having a QB whose name I recognize without that being a bad thing.  Texans honorable mention, because apparently having a QB whose name I don't recognize is their biggest major failing as a team.

Wild Cards: Raiders, Texans.  Neither the North nor South look strong enough to put two teams in, with Pittsburgh maybe being good enough.

NFC:

North: Vikings?  I feel like the Vikings are half of the Schrodinger's Cat paradox, in that if you ever observe them their QB dies.
East: Cowboys, for being the most complete team with a good quarterback and very good OL, and also not trying to actively screw over their starting QB (Washington) or being the post-Reid Eagles.
West: Seahawks.  They look good this year, and their competitors are the 49ers (lol), Cardinals (lol), and... um.  Help me out here?
South: Falcons.  28-3 happened, but they did just play in the Super Bowl, and it's not like refs are going to suddenly forget to call roughing on Matt Ryan all season.

Wild Cards: Packers, (comedy option) Lions.  The NFC North plays the NFC South and AFC North this year.  The NFC South recently had the Panthers win three straight division titles without even having three straight winning seasons.  If the Browns suck as bad as they always do, the Bengals repeat last year, and Pittsburgh regresses as much as I think they might, the NFC North is the division to be in.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #106 on: 22 August 2017, 22:19:35 »
The Ravens look better than before?

They don't have a quarterback!
I have spoken.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #107 on: 22 August 2017, 22:45:53 »
Flacco will be back.  I'd take Flacco starting 13 games to still win the division.

I do not have a high opinion of this Steelers team.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #108 on: 23 August 2017, 07:27:04 »
The Ravens look better than before?

They don't have a quarterback!

Who cares? Denver won the Super Bowl a couple of years ago without one, you'll recall- granted, yes, they had future Houston Texans ring-of-famer Brock Osweiler on the bench at the time (if only they'd known what they had!), and the dessicated, noodle-armed remains of something called a Giant Forehead Of Doom Peyton Manning.

A good defense and decent running game can carry a team that can't throw well. And remember, they're only Flacco-less for a few games- plenty of time left to make up ground even if they start off rough.

(Just as important, note that teams WITH a QB don't always have a good path forward. Anyone looking at the Saints and their monstrous air-game and thinking 'Super Bowl'? ;) )

+Crow T. Robot+

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #109 on: 23 August 2017, 10:14:47 »
I'm reminded of when a certain minor league baseball player was Denver's QB.  Defense and a solid running game took that team to a Division title and a win in the Wild Card round, despite effectively a rookiee QB who was a subpar passer.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #110 on: 23 August 2017, 10:29:17 »
I'm reminded of when a certain minor league baseball player was Denver's QB.  Defense and a solid running game took that team to a Division title and a win in the Wild Card round, despite effectively a rookiee QB who was a subpar passer.

Somewhere, Brady Quinn and Kyle Orton both screamed out in angst.

+Crow T. Robot+

misterpants

• Warrant Officer
  • Bringing you the beats and grooves of Xin Sheng
« Reply #111 on: 23 August 2017, 12:21:14 »
Mildly appropos to the conversation, but does anyone follow SBNation's Chart Party? They just put out a new one regarding NFL team volatility over the last 30ish years.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #112 on: 24 August 2017, 11:18:04 »
Speaking of SBNation, did everyone see 17776?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #113 on: 24 August 2017, 14:12:39 »
Heh, I heard about it.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #114 on: 24 August 2017, 21:32:30 »
Going through it now. Holy crap.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #115 on: 25 August 2017, 22:19:02 »
Oy Boykin looked bad for Seattle tonight.

The Russel Wilson show looks to be back on track though at least.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #116 on: 26 August 2017, 14:03:28 »
Patriots lose Edelman for the season with an ACL tear.

Tell me again how preseason is a good idea?

+Crow T. Robot+

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #117 on: 26 August 2017, 14:11:38 »
Same, except replace "preseason" with "playing football".

It's going to happen, there's nothing to prevent it except not playing football.  How different would their season go if he tore it in Week 3 instead of Preseason Week 3?  In the meantime, there are currently 60 people competing for 25 spots on every NFL team, and the Preseason could very well be the difference between making $40k this year and making $800k.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #118 on: 26 August 2017, 17:25:09 »
It's going to happen, there's nothing to prevent it except not playing football.  How different would their season go if he tore it in Week 3 instead of Preseason Week 3?
Or for that matter, practice.  In all fairness, seeing a preseason game as nothing but a giant practice session between two teams is probably not a bad way to look at it.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #119 on: 26 August 2017, 20:38:01 »
Patriots lose Edelman for the season with an ACL tear.

The day after our keeper league cut players.  At least the guy who kept Edelman has first pick.  Crap like that just ruins your whole season.   :(

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.