Author Topic: MotW: Dart  (Read 6009 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: MotW: Dart
« Reply #30 on: 17 February 2020, 16:34:17 »
I think Colt was suggesting dropping the TC to get the mass for TAG.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #31 on: 17 February 2020, 16:45:47 »
TC works with TAG?

Sorr, did not mean 6S, meant 6T- I referred back to the wrong part of the article.  It links into the targeting system . . . hmm, but TM says it does not apply, so I guess there is no point!  I always included it when figuring modified designs for MM, but its a ton so must not have thrown it off much.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #32 on: 18 February 2020, 22:49:44 »
TC works with TAG?

Not unless the rules were changed. I mentioned the TAG cause it is a natural fit for the Dart especially if it is looking to avoid direct combat.

Thanks to your inspiration I finished my optimized version of the Dart (what I called the DRT-4FC) along with two other variants (the DRT-5FC compares to the new Locust pretty well I think). Check it out if you like and thanks again for the good discussion!

https://www.ourbattletech.com/forum/index.php?topic=3869.0

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #33 on: 19 February 2020, 20:23:50 »
It occurs to me that using a stock Dart to hunt infantry still carries considerable risk, since it's engagement range is short enough that it will almost certainly take fire it might not be able to handle from conventional troops, but how about something less organized? I find myself wondering about using the stock Dart as a militia or police mech, particularly on unruly worlds.

How low can you dial down the laser power, anyway? Low enough to be incapacitating and disorienting without being lethal?
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #34 on: 19 February 2020, 21:36:05 »
Rubber bullets??

Non-lethal ammunition or a laser stun setting would certainly be level 3 tech but there are possibilities....

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #35 on: 20 February 2020, 03:02:36 »
I like the Dart- not in any sort of direct combat role, because it's useless there but as part of a pirate raiding force it's perfect. no ammo costs, anti-infantry to keep people's heads down and the arms are free to yank whatever you might want and then leg it. and boy, it's good at the "legging it" part.

it's also a pretty sweet ride, as far as looks. it's even got a fin! this is a 'mech with some serious style for a squishy light.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 17 March 2020, 19:08:50 »
the -4S is a respectable introtech machine. Running one in the succession wars is an anachronism, but I'd allow it if going by tech level.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: 18 March 2020, 15:11:34 »
When TRO 3055 came out, I hated the Dart.  I wanted every machine to make perfect game sense, and be efficient, and it did neither.  The only time a Small Pulse ever had an advantage over a Medium Laser was at range 1, and even then it did less damage.  The Dart variant with mediums made a lot more sense.  With the TW change to infantry rules, I looked at it again and I kind of like it now.

The Dart's job is to zoom across the battlefield getting a +4 TMM, stop in heavy woods or some other cover, and annihilate a couple squads of infantry.  Then it runs away again.  It really should be a cleanup machine, one that stays away from real combat and just skirts the edges of the engagement area looking for targets of opportunity.  Oh, you've got a squad of dudes sitting in a jeep, acting as lookouts for enemy activity?  The Dart runs up and murders them.  Yeah they'll get a distress call out, but that doesn't really matter because the bulk of your forces is far away.

The Dart can also operate in your enemy's backfield or hunt damaged units.  I wouldn't want to fight a MadCat with one under any circumstances, but it might be okay if the Clan mech already had an arm blown off, with two engine hits and a stripped side torso.  It's limping back to the dropship 30 km away with a damaged hip, and suddenly this little bastard shows up and starts pecking at you while moving for +4 and hiding in an arc where you don't have weapons anymore.  If it loses initiative, it moves where there's no LOS.  If he wins, he runs back over and hassles you some more.  He's fast enough to get away from anything except a Dasher, so I can see how it's useful.  Very situational, and totally dependent on the user to find a good role for it, but it's not the worst mech out there.