Author Topic: I would like my 'mechs to shutdown gracefully  (Read 593 times)

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
I would like my 'mechs to shutdown gracefully
« on: 18 July 2023, 23:52:39 »
We understand that a 'mech's fusion reactor needs to shut down sometimes. It gets too hot. It gets too shot. A TSEMP gets lucky. What is unfortunate about that is that this means a very valuable mechwarrior is suddenly taking an uncontrolled two-story fall.

No doubt command couches and four point harnesses made from very stretchy materials help, but having a 'mech perform a graceful shutdown would be preferable. Just let the pilot make one last PSR.

A GRACE Capacitor would channel power from the main fusion engine and distribute it to the rest of the 'mech, with a bypass whenever it's at capacity and on startup. On shutdown, it powers gyro control, myomers, and MCUs/cockpit computers to allow the pilot to avoid falls and injury. It only functions the turn the 'mech shuts down.

The GRACE Capacitor doesn't work on a turn in which the 'mech powered up.

The GRACE Capacitor weighs one ton for every 30 tons of the 'mech, rounded up to the nearest half-ton. They take up 2 crits. Critical hits disable the system.

A pilot may choose to fail a roll to avoid falling so that they can use the one turn of the GRACE Capacitor's functioning to avoid falling damage.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
Re: I would like my 'mechs to shutdown gracefully
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2023, 22:17:00 »
WtH?!  I suppose I do recall TW being particularly hard on Pilots.  They really took the 'auto' in auto-fail to an extreme. 

This didn't seem a problem in ye olde BMR or earlier except in the situation where someone is being mean and focusing on the shutdown mech for that very reason.  You got your Seat-belt check in a fall, regardless if it was shutdown or not. 

And, in a lot of instances in the older rules, a seat belt check didn't require the application of damaged actuators or gyro, no less!  The auto fall thing didn't apply to the seat-belt check, just the distance fallen.  So, a MechWarrior taking falling damage in older versions of the rules was quite difficult.

No 'Grace Drive' required. 

If the life support can still function in shutdown, then there's room for a bit of limited back-up power to get the result you're after, anyway.  If there's something allowing a Mech to twist the head around and put out as much active ECM to keep the head from being easily targeted by an aimed shot during shutdown, then again, there's some sort of back-up power reserve to tap into to protect the pilot when the Mech goes down.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #2 on: 31 July 2023, 12:11:25 »
My Total Warfare is in a box, but I'm pretty sure you just auto-fail PSRs when you're shut down. I don't know if they changed it from an earlier edition.

My understanding of piloting skill rolls to avoid pilot injury is that they are made just like every other PSR, including penalties from gyro and leg actuator damage. Arm gyros probably play a role in balancing battlemechs, but are abstracted out of the board game for system simplicity. Not really applicable for an auto-failure, but a salient note that if your 'mech is in a situation where it's shutting down, it may not benefit too much from getting that roll anyway.

Yeah, you could garner the same effect with a simple house rule. The effects of any equipment could be made with a house rule. You could also track micropower for aux systems in shutdown 'mechs. Might be fun. I'm not interested in a house rule like that, so I don't have any input, but you seem keen on it so run with it.

Rules as-written have a penalty for being forced to make a PSR while shut down (they fail). Is this piece of equipment come at too low a cost to ignore that penalty? Too high? Would being able to circumvent that penalty change the parameters of the game so as to twist the BV system or make a platform less useful than a Charger? Is the primary benefit of 'mechs mounting plasma cannons/rifles the ability to force a shutdown and a failed PSR? Or is that benefit of plasma weapons minor when compared to their abilities to slow targets, deal damage to units that don't track heat, and force checks for ammunition explosions?
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2023, 20:14:02 »
Total Warfare auto-fails PSRs if the result is 'automatic'.  It's one thing I remembered well when combing through it to see what changes were made from the BMR.

I double-checked my old BattleTech Manual, and the rules under falling damage to a pilot don't state to add any modifiers other than 1 for each level fallen.  There's no mention of the Mech having fallen only one level if it only falls inside its hex and drops its own height.  And the BattleMech Manual is a direct compilation of BattleTech, CityTech, and AeroTech.

Reviewing the old rules reveals some interesting points for interpretation. 

For instanceActuator damage for physical attacks only talks about modifiers for 'damaged actuators' and doesn't mention anything about missing actuators.  That comes later.  Which means the idea of treating missing actuators as damaged is not an initial concept for the game.  So, a Locust, even though it is missing the lower arm and hand actuators, should be able to through full damage punches with its chicken wings (Elbow to the face) as well as a Wasp with a full arm.  But, the Wasp has the issue of taking lower arm damage, weakening its punches.  This makes sense when you think about a an armored chicken wing being like a solid box. Whereas a damaged forearm kinda flops around or isn't putting up near as much resistance when used as an add-hoc club as a full strength undamaged arm.

'Clearing woods didn't put out fires in those woods' would be another example.

And, thus, when rolling to see if a pilot takes falling damage, one could infer that there should be a general +1 or +2 modifier to that roll when a Mech goes down simply because the pilot is falling 2 or 1 levels, making for something of a 50/50 chance to dash your brains against the dashboard.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Lycanphoenix

• Sergeant
  • Amaroq the Kitsune#1092
    • Message me on Telegram
« Reply #4 on: 18 April 2024, 00:42:30 »
This ought to be standard equipment on Republic-era IndustrialMechs!

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer