Author Topic: Maintenance's Facility  (Read 4628 times)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
Re: Maintenance's Facility
« Reply #30 on: 12 September 2023, 13:01:45 »
So, in conclusion:

SL-era Wayland, Factory, Repair Pads and Paramour
SW-1 / 2 same, then gone
SW-3 / 4 Dropships, Factory and Repair Pads
Clan Invasion- same, Savior, and limited Paramour production
Jihad /WoR- Jl-50 "Jifty" and Jl-100 Transportable Field Repair units
3100 / 3150- unknown...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #31 on: 12 September 2023, 16:15:07 »
Yeah, though, as stated, most any "big" base is going to have a Maintenance Facility for the unit stationed there.

Maybe not on some agriculture farming world that hires a single mech lance, but if your on garrison duty on the same world as an RCT then its likely a big base.

Any world that sports a factory of any stripe probably also has some mech bays near by even if its not actually a mech factory.

Not every world will have one, but, "big ones" likely would.

Anything that sports a "Fort Whatever" location that dates back centuries to the SLDF era.

The Wayland & others don't really give you anything that a Recovery Vehicle & a Leopard doesn't give you, and in a lot of ways its less.

It travels w/ your support caravan but also is tied to that slow rate & can't actually reposition quickly w/o DS support anyway.

A unit w/o DS support & garrisoning some backwater world would want one but anyone in the core of the IS or any regional HQ area with any size to their unit would probably be fine w/o having a "Repair Bay on Treads".

Because I'm curious, I'm looking at a map of the Kathil PDZ.  8 Worlds, and purely from memory w/o reading up on any of them, I'd be willing to bet that 5 of them have a decent chance of sporting a Maintenance Facility on them just from recognizing their names as Factory, Training Base, Regional HQ, Etc etc worlds.

That seems like a lot, but, I figure at least 1-2 in any PDZ/Operations Area can lay claim to one so units can do some annual maintenance cycles.

Beten Kaitos
Emerson
Talcott
Smolensk
Kathil
Monongahela
Salem
Novaya Zemlya

Anyway, I just had to take a look and see how many in a specific area I recognized.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 14 October 2023, 03:53:55 »
No, mobile field bases are more useful then you'd think, if only because you can repair the unit where it is instead of forcing it to travel for hours back to the DropShip for repairs and then still more hours to get back to the front.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 14 October 2023, 12:15:51 »
I don't disagree, but that comes with a very big caveat in that you have to have WON the fight & then completely secured the area to the point that the enemy won't be able to show back up & get your MFB.

Given the speed of those things its not like they are running away from anyone, well, maybe infantry.
And with their mass they all off load from DS as Cargo so I'm still not seeing them as something a "raiding" force uses.

Heck, I'm not sure they would even be assigned at Battalion level, I can see why the SLDF used them they deploy DIVISIONS with hundreds of mechs to a single world.  So there, yes, I would agree.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #34 on: 17 October 2023, 02:13:37 »
No, even if you lose/are forced to fall back, because (nominally) in BT the losing party is forced to disengage before suffering catastrophic losses.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #35 on: 17 October 2023, 11:22:14 »
If you and a buddy have a pair of Hands, your good to go on dragging back at half speed.

Hands come in handy for non-battle purposes, Construction, Repair, Fieldworks etc.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #36 on: 17 October 2023, 18:21:07 »
Hands come in handy for non-battle purposes, Construction, Repair, Fieldworks etc.
Mech sized sand castles.........

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #37 on: 17 October 2023, 18:42:37 »
Hands are one of the things I think should be standard on ALL 'mechs...

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #38 on: 18 October 2023, 03:12:14 »
Hands are one of the things I think should be standard on ALL 'mechs...

I get why things like the Locust/Rifleman exist..........  previous art & images, etc etc.
Even some for variety sake  (Stalker)

The ones that get me is where previous stuff had hands & they removed them  (Wasp/Valkyrie)  or   just lopping off 1/2 hands on a mech that seems like it should have them....  (Assassin/Whitworth)

Basically I get "armless" designs, but "fingerless" models bother me.  Like what did that save you?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #39 on: 18 October 2023, 03:23:27 »
Especially before things like Endo and Ferro.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 29 October 2023, 00:58:23 »
If you and a buddy have a pair of Hands, your good to go on dragging back at half speed.

TT
And now you're down 3 'Mechs instead of one and can't fall back very fast.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #41 on: 29 October 2023, 05:49:32 »
Hence "non-battle" purposes...

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #42 on: 28 March 2024, 06:19:06 »
I believe there was a picture of one in the back of the original TRO:3025.

Yeah good point. That's one!

I think they are one step higher than the drpships cubicles.

That's why I do not understand why in CO those structures were awarded some strange bonuses that had nonsense (a free "repair order"... it has n sense as the rules are written). The conquering of such a structure should be indeed an advantage PER SE, due to the high bonuses provided, very good modificators conferred and the ability to build from scratch some spare parts.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 28 March 2024, 22:27:00 »
I think they are one step higher than the drpships cubicles.

IIRC the rules difference is that they do the same "level" of repair & refit but that the "Facility" gives you a +2 on the role v/s the DS Cubicle which doesn't.

Similar to how a "Refit" & a "Customization" use the same rules for the most part but a canon refit kit gives you a bonus to the role v/s custom work does not.

For example:

Slapping some DHS & ERPPCs onto a Warhammer-6R in a Dropship would be Custom & "Repair Bay"
Where as, using a Factory Refit Kit from Defiance at a Planetary "Maintenance Facility" would net you the same DHS & ERPPC, but also some Pulse Lasers too, & would be a +2/+2 = +4 to the tech roll.
Or something like that, I don't have the rules in front of me but I know "Refit Kit" & "Facility" were both "safer" to to than "Custom" & "Repair Bay" despite giving you an overall similar level of tech upgrade.

Kits cost a bit more than the total in parts IIRC which is why they give you a bonus but also are limited to canon designs.
They are also quite useful in that they let you do a "Factory" grade in a "Bay" where as custom work can't be done in the same conditions.

"Why yes, I would like you to ship me an Endo Steel frame for my Valkyrie-QA to turn it into a QD & get it done w/o having to go to a factory"

Mostro Joe

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #44 on: 29 March 2024, 02:19:30 »
IIRC the rules difference is that they do the same "level" of repair & refit but that the "Facility" gives you a +2 on the role v/s the DS Cubicle which doesn't.

Similar to how a "Refit" & a "Customization" use the same rules for the most part but a canon refit kit gives you a bonus to the role v/s custom work does not.

Yeah exactly that. That's why I was saying that to have a facility is an advantage yet ruleswise.