Author Topic: Pocket Warship Carriers ?  (Read 2030 times)

Col Toda

• Captain
Pocket Warship Carriers ?
« on: 05 September 2018, 05:14:35 »
Interested if anyone made a warship or Jump Ship ment to carry pocket warships with the repair factities and small craft and fighter support ? A keel out new design ought to have happened shortly after the Jihad

marcussmythe

• Lieutenant
Re: Pocket Warship Carriers ?
« Reply #1 on: 05 September 2018, 07:51:36 »
Not sure exactly what that would look like?

As a Jumpship, it would look like a Jumpship - there is desperately little mass left over on a jumper for any kind of mission payload - including payload designed to support assault dropships.

Now, on a warship hull - a warship, with repair facilities, cargo storage, and heavy fighter/small craft bays, intended to serve as a carrier/tender/mothership for a cloud of assault dropships - that could be interesting.  It will also be incredibly expensive, but if you only have the ability to build a few warships (limited yardspace for compact core warships) but at the same time have a massive budget, something like Potemkin with some tweaks would probably do the job.

Now that I say it (without looking at Potemkin, Im operating from memory) - what would you change about Potemkin to make her better suited for the task?  Maybe a repair bay or two?  I guess it depends on whether the mothership is also a combat vessel itself, or a pure tender for the combat dropships.  One suggests repair bays and more cargo, one suggests no repair bays, lots of firepower, and still a lot of cargo.

Agility is also an issue - a combat version might need to keep pace with its assault droppers, depending on doctrine.  A pure support version could be much slower, and focus more heavily on that support role with the excess tonnage.

As in everything, so much turns on mission and doctrine and budget and shipbuilding capabilities.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2018, 08:32:00 by marcussmythe »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #2 on: 05 September 2018, 12:07:40 »
Interested if anyone made a warship or Jump Ship ment to carry pocket warships with the repair factities and small craft and fighter support ? A keel out new design ought to have happened shortly after the Jihad
Canon?
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #3 on: 05 September 2018, 13:44:08 »

Starfox1701

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2018, 12:53:12 »
Any warships that have 6 or more collars will do as a carrier and the 2 yardship designs cover support.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2018, 17:08:28 »
Imagine the force multiplication with a Avalon or Fox carrying Pocket Warships. But sadly after the Jihad warship construction fell to the wayside. I could see Monolith Jumpships being dedicated Pocket Warship Carriers though.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Korzon77

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2018, 20:56:37 »
Also, "Carrier" is something of a misnomer--Dropships, especially larger dropships are capable of long-term independent STL operations, which means it's closer to a destroyer tender than a carrier.

That being said, your big question is going to be a simple one:

Is the Tender expected to engage in direct combat operatoins, either alone or in support of its dropships, or is it intended to stay far away from the battle?

If the former, you probably want to arm it up with extreme range weapons, so that the dropships can form an effective "screen" that enemy warships would have to go through to closely engage it. If the latter, speed and armor are probably more important than throw weight, enabling your tender to stay out of direct conflict.

Also, you need to consider the design of your pocket warshipos--which is to say, you want to treat the tender and warships as the same overall weapons system, rather than building a tender and just putting whateer you can find on it.

Register