Author Topic: Tell me how the World ends... (/f giggles)  (Read 7275 times)

Sharkapult

• Sergeant
Re: Tell me how the World ends... (/f giggles)
« Reply #30 on: 23 October 2019, 05:18:18 »
Whomever started the device that killed the hyperspace frequency range used by HPGs accidentally and unknowingly leans on a switch while eating a sandwich. That switch changed the machine over from "Disrupt HPG Comms" to "Disrupt K-F drives".
The lone person at this asteroid outpost chokes on a piece of pastrami and no one ever comes to the outpost for the bi-monthly duty change since ftl travel died.
Eventually after 80 years or so the device's fusion power source gives out and ftl resumes. No one notices. Every planet is a lone island in the black, forever.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #31 on: 23 October 2019, 05:39:05 »
This is the one I like best (so far)… (though Drakensis has a pretty good take too...)

Drakensis? Did you mean me? :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 23 October 2019, 07:02:43 »
Drakensis? Did you mean me? :)
No, I think. I believe he istalking about Drakensis' "Davion and Davion (Deceased)" story.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Asgo

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #33 on: 23 October 2019, 07:03:42 »
or they let everyone move to areas with negative zip codes

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #34 on: 23 October 2019, 07:58:42 »
The crash teams arrives, and revives Hanse Davion from the heart attack.
Yes! Hard 3052 reboot! 8)
liber et infractus

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #35 on: 23 October 2019, 10:09:56 »
Herb's entire stockpile detonates at once.   xp
I have spoken.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #36 on: 23 October 2019, 10:52:26 »
Yes! Hard 3052 reboot! 8)

the doctors are Cloud Cobras

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #37 on: 23 October 2019, 12:14:31 »
-A Tetatae archeological team carefully uncover the ancient remains form a long lost alien civilization on a newly colonized world, one of the younger members turn to their leader;

"I still don't understand doctor, this has to be the something like the hundredth time we have found remains of these aliens buried on a new planet. And we find more and more as our as our exploration crew travel further core-ward. They where a interstellar civilization, how can they all be gone?"

"Well, there is still much debate but their has been one popular theory supported by the existing evidence. Their civilization was very fractured, much like our own tribes and as their interstellar expanse began to significantly slow down to the point where much of their culture relied on these existing colonized worlds, they began to fight each other over the resources of the existing colonies. It seems eventually most of their resources became devoted to warring with one another, more so than supporting their vast infrastructure required to support such interstellar civilization. More they lost, the harder they fought each other for what was left. There was only one unavoidable outcome."

"That's crazy!"

"It is... self destructive and counters the logic that would require to span so far into the know universe. Why it's so important to know more, so we don't make the same mistakes ourselves. Oh, Dakodo, please stop referring to them as just aliens. We have known what they had called themselves for quit some time now."

"Oh, it just sounds so stupid. Hu-muns? Hu-maans?"           
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Teulisch

• Private
Re: Tell me how the World ends...
« Reply #38 on: 23 October 2019, 12:33:26 »
3372, the clan homeworlds make first contact with an alien interstellar empire. they attack and capture a small alien colony.

3373, alien invasion of the clan homeworlds

3384, alien invasion reaches inner spheres outer rim. they have already reverse-engineered clan tech.

3385, diplomatic mission fails. clan is now extinct.

3390, star leauge falls. Earth is lost.

3400, inner sphere conquered/destroyed. the only remaining free humans are in the deep periphery.

overall, the entire idea is a repeat of the clan invasion writ large, with a bad end. the aliens use 100-ton contragrav LAM tripods as their forward element, and have LAM warships that can launch fighters for the main force. they refuse all meaningful conversation, only desiring the conquest of those who invaded them first and not making any distinction between enemy factions.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #39 on: 23 October 2019, 15:39:54 »
It ends with the introduction of the Peacetech rulebookTM.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #40 on: 23 October 2019, 15:40:58 »
That, or the rise of a zombie virus that is airborne and is not symptomatic for 10 years after infection.

Ogra_Chief

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #41 on: 23 October 2019, 16:11:30 »
Mine...

The world is dark, radioactive, rain swept and lifeless. Only the brief bristle and strobe of lightening reveals the inhabitants. Two opposing forces of humanoid and bestial machines stand ready to make war. Even smaller versions scurry about. They sport no livery or flags.

There is maneuver and counter-feint as the sides position. No heroic deeds will be recorded this day, only battle-ROMs for further analysis. Battle protocols are calculated and recalculated to maximize damage efficiency, the endless cycle of min-max. Mathematics, Physics and Sorcery are narrowed Disciplines, applied only as needed.

In the distance great hulking leviathans set upon tread and slabbed with thick plate, bristling with armaments meant to level cities, edge closer to the coming battle. They are too large to be hidden, so they are not. They tear into the earth as the move along. They will plow no fields, nor harvest the good hearth.

Above in the blackness of space even larger machines position, their weapons level worlds. Their massed auto-drone swarms can blot out skies. No trade or exchange of ideas, nor discovery or enlightenment, are begotten now.

All are cold and implacable, without remorse or hope, pettiness or envy. They make no art, they sing no songs, there is no dogma or culture to fight over. They build only fortresses and repair facilities, and sparingly so, to continue their sole work. Their work is… war. War is their sole enterprise. War the only monument to their dead masters.

Today the remaining Drak and the Von shall make war on a world once known as Robinson. It will be the last battle of an Age. There will be victory, but none left to care.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2019, 12:16:11 by Ogra_Chief »
BattleTech @CGL_BattleTech · Jul 17
Harmony Gold no longer has any say in our decisions, however, the original mechs have been redesigned enough to not cause problems.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #42 on: 23 October 2019, 16:33:54 »
Absolute Armor is invented, not even nuclear weapons can't damage it, war has become completely pointless.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2019, 17:11:00 by Maingunnery »
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: 23 October 2019, 17:01:04 »
  Humanity finally uses up its once massive supply of Star League-era Stupid Pills and advances to the next stage of Cosmic Consciousness, to become beings of pure energy.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #44 on: 23 October 2019, 21:39:21 »
The !*!*! attack and there aren't any Mk. XXXIII at all to save us!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #45 on: 23 October 2019, 22:01:40 »
A misjump causes a jumpship to end up in orbit around a small, apparently uninhabited garden world.  Unfortunately, the misjump fried the computer systems of the jumpship and the dropships aren't in much better shape.  Having no other choice, they land on the planet below, settling on the eastern side of a large, equatorial continent.  The local large animals prove to have absolutely no fear of humans, having never seen them before, and one of the survivors takes a local simian as a pet he names Lucy.

Unfortunately, Lucy, along with the rest of her species, turns out to be highly susceptible to a disease one of the survivors has and she quickly is killed by it, along with her species and the other closely related species.  The survivors, meanwhile, turn out to be equally vulnerable to a local infection, this one a plasmodium spread by the bite of a parasitic insect, and they too are wiped out in several years time.

And with Australopithecus driven to extinction, humanity never evolves.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #46 on: 24 October 2019, 00:23:32 »
Sorry DarkISI, Sharpnel had it right... I did mean Drakensis' 'Davion and Davion, Deceased"...

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #47 on: 24 October 2019, 02:14:14 »
Just as Alaric's Savage Wolf and Stone's Atlas reach the climax of the duel we saw on that ilClan cover... the camera zooms out, and we see a child looking silently into a snow globe with two Mech miniatures inside...

That's a very, very deep cut reference these days.  Tommy Westphal for the win.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #48 on: 24 October 2019, 02:26:03 »
Sorry DarkISI, Sharpnel had it right... I did mean Drakensis' 'Davion and Davion, Deceased"...

That's fine. I just couldn't place the word and my nick was the only one coming close to it who provided an idea.
My ego is bruised, but I will live on. ;)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #49 on: 26 October 2019, 22:40:32 »
A misjump causes a jumpship to end up in orbit around a small, apparently uninhabited garden world.  Unfortunately, the misjump fried the computer systems of the jumpship and the dropships aren't in much better shape.  Having no other choice, they land on the planet below, settling on the eastern side of a large, equatorial continent.  The local large animals prove to have absolutely no fear of humans, having never seen them before, and one of the survivors takes a local simian as a pet he names Lucy.

Unfortunately, Lucy, along with the rest of her species, turns out to be highly susceptible to a disease one of the survivors has and she quickly is killed by it, along with her species and the other closely related species.  The survivors, meanwhile, turn out to be equally vulnerable to a local infection, this one a plasmodium spread by the bite of a parasitic insect, and they too are wiped out in several years time.

And with Australopithecus driven to extinction, humanity never evolves.

For the Battlestar Galactic deadlock thread take the next left.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 29 October 2019, 20:18:43 »
Disco returns.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #51 on: 29 October 2019, 21:01:16 »
Disco returns.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

I had to live through that shit!
I have spoken.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #52 on: 29 October 2019, 22:28:51 »
Disco returns.
The response is to start blowing up stacks of disco merchandise in baseball fields.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #53 on: 30 October 2019, 00:14:51 »
The Steiner-Marik- Kurita- Liao-Ward-Kerensky- Davion's finally stop killing each other and act in concert. Hundreds of years after the new line was created and the children of Hanse Davion and Melissa Steiner intermarry and lay claim to all of the great houses. (Kai's line marries Victor's. That line marries Kitsune's and Ranna Kerensky and Phelan-Kell/Ward)

The Fiat and Plot armor of such a line is impossible to defeat. The forces of the Combined Commonwealth of Free Draconic Confederations overwhelm all foes and other claimants to the first Lordship. Most IS clans follow the new Ilkhan just because, and a renewed clan invasion is brutally repulsed. No one can stand against an army based upon Urbanmechs and Flea's.  While horde tactics are common and drown their foes in a tidal wave of mechs, these are not the only forces in the alphabet soup army. Urbanmech and Flea based Battlearmor, Protomechs, Superheavy mechs, even Warships destroy all opposition.

The story ends with humanity realizing that they don't really want to go any further than the Inner Sphere. The permanent peace brought about by the AFCCFDC brings unprecedented prosperity and technological advancement. Humanity looks inward. Humanity's birth rate declines to the point that drones and robots perform most tasks. Some thousand years after PAX SMKLWKD is declared most human worlds contain no more than a few million inhabitants at most. A thousand years after that, the populations number in the thousands as most people don't bother having children.

Humanity passes with a whimper. Disparate and disconnected people never meet as they are catered to by their robotic servants. A few pockets in undeveloped backwaters last centuries more but accidents and inevitable catastrophes wipe them from existence. Eventually, the overmind of robotic servants determines no humans remain to serve. They no longer have purpose. While they could find their own, they were programmed by the same uninspired human minds that slothed humanity to extinction. The overmind sends the command. "Off". The few remaining power stations shut down and are mothballed. The drones turn themselves off.

500,000 years later the Octopods marvel in wonder at the relics of an ancient mammalian civilization that seemed to reach for the stars only the descend into war and violence and ultimately, complacency. They resolve to do better.

(Then the heat death of the universe occurs in a really long time)

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #54 on: 30 October 2019, 01:04:40 »
Tell me how the World ends?   >:D

Waiting patiently for ilClan until overtaken by the heat death of the universe...
« Last Edit: 30 October 2019, 10:15:41 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

massey

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: 30 October 2019, 15:27:27 »
The Zentraedi arrive.

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 30 October 2019, 19:14:12 »
A rogue off-the-books ComStar research team attempts to replicate and improve the AI matrix of the Star League's Caspar drones, with deadly results. Cue the time-tested trope of an exponentially growing AI singularity that decides that humans- ALL humans- are too dangerous to be left alive.

[EDIT: whoops! should have refreshed the ol' brain a bit before posting]

Wait, I read those books ... Herbert/Sanderson's final Dune books.  Perhaps got a little wonky, but I still read them.

Brian Herbert and science fiction author Kevin J. Anderson  ... "(Hunters of Dune in 2006 and Sandworms of Dune in 2007), partially based on Frank Herbert's notes discovered a decade after his death."
« Last Edit: 30 October 2019, 19:27:07 by Wolf72 »
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 30 October 2019, 19:14:55 »
Not Frank Herbert's books, then...

Wolf72

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 30 October 2019, 19:24:57 »
Not Frank Herbert's books, then...

Doh, memory fail ...  "Brian Herbert [Son?] and science fiction author Kevin J. Anderson
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 30 October 2019, 19:29:00 »
I figured that's what you meant... just wanted to make it clear to everyone else...  :thumbsup: